Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the ACC the zags kryptonite? Article inside. (Plus mark few tourny stats)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I think our problem is the small sample size when it comes to power conferences. We might play them 2-3 times a year, in preseason and postseason tournaments. Hopefully, the series with UNC will break that trend.

Missing Killian last night played no role in our dreadful shooting in the first half, such as Zach going 0-7. Rui should have stuck with that 8-10 foot jumper, instead of going to the hole. We just ran out of gas in the second half, props to FSU...no need to dwell on it.
    Played no role??? I think it had to have played some role as we didn’t even look like the Zags team I’ve been watching especially early. We looked lost bro.... like we couldn’t even run an offense....
    Qualified for 21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Why do people care if their thread on a basketball message board gets one -starred?

I hope my post here gets 5 stars!

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Played no role??? I think it had to have played some role as we didn’t even look like the Zags team I’ve been watching especially early. We looked lost bro.... like we couldn’t even run an offense....
    Remember San Diego State game with Tillie?

Team played lost.

It's all about WHO from the ACC, or any conference, is providing the kryptonite. Dook, UNC, and 'Scuse provide a lot of kryptonite to a lot of programs.

This article is like saying the WCC is Ohio State kryptonite................

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    http://apps.washingtonpost.com/sport...hools/gonzaga/

Since 2012 we have had a like a 4.8 seed(almost a 5). I think.
    Cool charts.

I think that 2016 Sweet 16 run from an 11 seed really set GU up for better seeds. I think conventional wisdom after that game was that GU was inexcusably underseeded.

GU has been treated with a little more respect and has lived up to it's seeding since.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

All I know is that I've gone from "hey, it's pretty cool that we've been in the tournament for twenty straight years" to now feeling like "we've LOST in the tournament for TWENTY STRAIGHT YEARS "

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    All I know is that I've gone from "hey, it's pretty cool that we've been in the tournament for twenty straight years" to now feeling like "we've LOST in the tournament for TWENTY STRAIGHT YEARS "
    It's the journey, not the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    successful baseball players fail 7 outta 10 times

in case you weren't joking...perspective helps

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    The blocks very easily could have affected the Zags shots down there all game. Rui was blocked a few times, and I’m sure he’s not used to that. That said, free throw and 3-point shooting were not— there were just too many open 3’s missed. FSU played good defense down low, and their length affected passing lanes, but they weren’t speeding this team up (I thought the Zags actually played slow that night). I give FSU credit for making. The Zags uncomfortable, but once the Zags figured things out they were able to score in bunches. It was a game of runs and GU gave up too many long ones to FSU and didn’t create a long enough one of their own at any point to take the lead and put any pressure on FSU.

Rebounding and defense can keep you in the game...but to win you have to make some shots.....the best illustration of that was Virginia 's loss.....Gonzaga hits near it's normal 3% it would have been a different game....coulda woulda shoulda..... a fine season, a disappointing end...

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Remember San Diego State game with Tillie?

Team played lost.
    I do remember .... totally different team imo

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    The blocks very easily could have affected the Zags shots down there all game. Rui was blocked a few times, and I’m sure he’s not used to that. That said, free throw and 3-point shooting were not— there were just too many open 3’s missed. FSU played good defense down low, and their length affected passing lanes, but they weren’t speeding this team up (I thought the Zags actually played slow that night). I give FSU credit for making. The Zags uncomfortable, but once the Zags figured things out they were able to score in bunches. It was a game of runs and GU gave up too many long ones to FSU and didn’t create a long enough one of their own at any point to take the lead and put any pressure on FSU.
    That’s true. Fair points

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Rebounding and defense can keep you in the game...but to win you have to make some shots.....the best illustration of that was Virginia 's loss.....Gonzaga hits near it's normal 3% it would have been a different game....coulda woulda shoulda..... a fine season, a disappointing end...
    And yet, tonight Michigan won against the same FSU team shooting just as miserable as Gonzaga. They were a measly 4-22 from behind the arc, and an inexcusable 16–24 from behind the line. They also lost the battle on the boards. They took care of the ball a little better than the Zags (3 less turnovers), but this game came down to great defense. As good as he is, Mark does not have a very good defensive game plan, and at times seems almost schematically stuck in a rut. Last year with the length, athleticism, depth, it was a bit of a different story. But this year had a much of the same feel to it, losing a very winnable game solely because the team didn't shoot well. It'd be nice to see a bit more creativity in those kind of games, and would go a long way in making some deeper runs when the team is cold. As for the ACC, it's all about matchup's... Who, what, when, why, how.

And FSU couldn't make shots and apparently couldn't extend the game...

Correct. One team always has to lose, but the fact of the matter is that Gonzaga rarely wins how Michigan did tonight. And when they don't, everyone feels like it's OK to blame everything on the players. When in reality, coaching can still win games when the ball isn't going in the hoop. Gonzaga scored more than Michigan, and lost going away late. A better defensive plan could've helped win that game, even though I think the last minute loss of Tillie left coaches and players mentally unstable. Which again goes back to coaching, not to beat a dead horse as Few is a great coach. But this is college, not the NBA... The coach matters far more at this level than the next, and their teams often times take on their personality.

Gonzaga makes shots the coach is a genius......

I remember back around 2008 all the talk was about how well Gonzaga performed against ACC schools, and how poorly they performed against Big Ten schools.

In all honesty, Florida State is the furthest thing from a traditional ACC school. They are more like a Big Ten school with how physical they play.