Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: No Time to Reminisce. Mountain West Conference? When? And Will the Zags need . . .

Default No Time to Reminisce. Mountain West Conference? When? And Will the Zags need . . .

1. To adjust their game? That conference plays a different brand of basketball;

2. To alter the recruiting focus considering conference players?

3. To get an idea of what scheduling might be like so we can schedule non-conference games? Please, no teams that finished near or below 200 RPI this year, and better fewer games would be better than +300 opponents. Possibly games with one or two WCC teams?

4. To bulk up to match more physical play?

5. Address lots of other implications and questions. What are yours?

We definitely need to play more "power" teams, not just for the RPI and all those other ratings. We need to play against legit teams throughout the season. With a decent Jan/Feb schedule, I think we would have handled FSU with or without Tillie - but you can't come into the Dance after two months of flat-footed partners, nice as they may be....

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by peg645 View Post
    We definitely need to play more "power" teams, not just for the RPI and all those other ratings. We need to play against legit teams throughout the season. With a decent Jan/Feb schedule, I think we would have handled FSU with or without Tillie - but you can't come into the Dance after two months of flat-footed partners, nice as they may be....
    That’s ridiculous to me tbh. You know what would’ve helped??? If we ever played Larsen or Jeremy Jones before yesterday in meaningful minutes
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    That’s ridiculous to me tbh. You know what would’ve helped??? If we ever played Larsen or Jeremy Jones before yesterday in meaningful minutes
    Honestly my biggest criticism of Few this year was just this. Now I get he sees him a lot more in practice than we do in games but Larsen looked very solid in early outings. But every time he made any mistake, he was immediately pulled. No wonder his confidence was shot.

I got why we had a hard 8 man rotation last season but I really think those two should have been given more play during the season. We had a lot of blowouts where they could have seen some more meaningful minutes.

Putting all your eggs in one basket is risky because with just that 1 injury, we were playing 5 guys 35+ minutes against an extremely deep & physical team. Recipe for disaster.

Perhaps playing against teams similar to FSU would have helped yesterday, but historically I haven't seen any evidence the WCC schedule hurts us in the NCAA tournament. I don't see any meaningful difference in our expected vs. actual tournament results relative to teams that do play schools like FSU regularly. Unless you're arguing the WCC prevents us from getting a different type/caliber of player/athlete (and I'm still not convinced we'd get better recruits in the MWC), I just don't see evidence that we underachieve in March because we're playing in the WCC.

Please Jake....this is a fact free zone.....is Virginia out ....Kentucky ..... Mich State......Arizona..... ...Creighton ......

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Honestly my biggest criticism of Few this year was just this. Now I get he sees him a lot more in practice than we do in games but Larsen looked very solid in early outings. But every time he made any mistake, he was immediately pulled. No wonder his confidence was shot.

I got why we had a hard 8 man rotation last season but I really think those two should have been given more play during the season. We had a lot of blowouts where they could have seen some more meaningful minutes.

Putting all your eggs in one basket is risky because with just that 1 injury, we were playing 5 guys 35+ minutes against an extremely deep & physical team. Recipe for disaster.
    On a flight from SLC to SeaTac, I sat next to an air force vet who flew heavy jets. As our plane made a few strange maneuvers, I asked him if he ever wished he could tell the pilot what he/she was doing wrong. He responded that you never know what's going on in the cockpit.

I'd say the same analogy can be made for Few. We don't know what's happening in the huddle, and he still got the team to the sweet 16 on a very hobbled roster. I also very much believe that losing Tillie against a long, deep team like FSU was outcome determinative, and that Larson nor Jones would ever plug that gap.

I thought Larson was limping noticeably just walking back to the bench when he was taken out. He played well early in the year, but was then reduced to running on one wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I thought Larson was limping noticeably just walking back to the bench when he was taken out. He played well early in the year, but was then reduced to running on one wheel.
    agree...wasn’t it the UW game where he agrivated it?

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Correct.........look like he hurt himself somewhere along the line. Hope it wasn't the same knee he injured last year before he came over.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    1. To adjust their game? That conference plays a different brand of basketball;

2. To alter the recruiting focus considering conference players?

3. To get an idea of what scheduling might be like so we can schedule non-conference games? Please, no teams that finished near or below 200 RPI this year, and better fewer games would be better than +300 opponents. Possibly games with one or two WCC teams?

4. To bulk up to match more physical play?

5. Address lots of other implications and questions. What are yours?
    This thread really went off the rails:

From what im hearing The MWC presidents meet around April 4th, they would like to vote on conference expansion at that time. This means Mark, Mike, and Thayne (and i would assume other coaches from other GU teams) will likely be meeting to discuss the future of Gonzaga athletics sometime in the next week. Rumor has it the MWC will likely meet our request for increased tourney credits. If we are going to join for 2018-19, our entrance would have to be approved in april. This is similar in timeline to when Wichita State joined the AAC last year.

As far as adjusting our playing style, i don't think so. Coach Few knows how to play all kinds of different teams and his system usually reflects the players he has moreso than the opponents we face (he will switch sets during games at times like he did against FSU). The recruiting focus is going to be similar to what it is now, Europe (hopefully we keep Tommy Lloyd around), Canada, West coast, Vegas, occasionally midwest.

We will continue to schedule High majors in the non conference, but i don't see why we won't continue to include several mid majors as warm up games or fillers depending on the season. Honestly, having a tougher conference schedule will negate the need to schedule as tough in the non conference because our formula for at large will be easier to meet.

Basically not much will change except the conference affiliation and the amount of hours spent traveling (which isn't as much a concern because we fly charter). The biggest adjustment i see is the altitudes of MWC opponents (Laramie, Fort Collins, Reno, Logan, Colorado Springs, Albuquerque, etc.) Although we play at altitude in Provo every year.

Actually we had a hard 7 man rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    Actually we had a hard 7 man rotation.
    Jones is a borderline D1 contributor, Wade isn’t even that. Larsen was a puzzle. There’s no there, there. The bench was an illusion. Even Kispert went backwards. Few tried Jones last night for a couple desperate minutes. Awful.

WCC is just wasting time for Rui.
    Japanese fan

I just have to ask from people in the know.

Is it the general consensus that this move is a done deal?
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Skimhvn View Post
    Sorry but I think just the opposite. He needs the WCC competition to get better and hone his craft. He isn’t ready for the NBA yet despite those who have a vested interest in pushing him there. If he wants to maximum his his earnings potential then another year at Gonalzaga is a non-brainer if he wants to go the NBA. .

Oh good. Another thread on this subject.

I may not be " In the know"....but what I have been told is that no decision has been made....that no serious discussions have been held..

That was a couple weeks ago......

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    I just have to ask from people in the know.

Is it the general consensus that this move is a done deal?
    It is not close to being a done deal. No negotiations yet. No meetings yet. And if it does happen, it's not likely to happen next year. Too much has to happen between now and the start of next season.

I'm amazed by the amount of people who just totally dismiss the idea that Few and Roth are only using the MWC's interest in GU as a ploy to get NCAA tournament revenue re-structuring done within the WCC. Just because some guy in San Diego wrote a lengthy article and because we've had MWC posters on the board getting all excited about the possibilities.........

Well then he should play somewhere that is not a waste of time.....

The conference that Stephen Curry used to play in (not the A-10) didn't hurt him.

I actually think Rui is better off playing on a great team in a non-BCS league as a foreign player who is still learning English and American culture. According to Mark Few, Rui is still incredibly raw and is still learning the game. He told the ESPN guys in Vegas this because he wants the hype machine off the kid. It's too much too soon. The higher up the conference tree you go, the more the spotlight is put on you. He'll get enough of spotlight and challenges in the non-league part of the schedule, the key WCC games, and the NCAA tournament, which GU makes every year despite its league affiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Sorry but I think just the opposite. He needs the WCC competition to get better and hone his craft. He isn’t ready for the NBA yet despite those who have a vested interest in pushing him there. If he wants to maximum his his earnings potential then another year at Gonalzaga is a non-brainer if he wants to go the NBA. .
    Not ready for NBA but ready for MWC and wasting with WCC. MWC is the best choice for some Zags players to come back just now.
    Japanese fan

As good as he is and with as much upside as he has, remember last night was the 1st time he started. WCC may not be as challenging as some would wish, but it is hardly a waste of time. Rui still has a lot to learn.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Rui will learn and grow more from the defeat against FSU than all conference games combined IMHO?