Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Killian Tillie needs to return to Gonzaga.

was it a hip pointer? if so, they suck. anyone who has ever had one knows. I've ruptured my achilles, done my knees in all ways imaginable, ankle breaks with ligament/tendon ruptures and plantar facia, tore my hamstring off the bone, broken toes and fingers and turf toe, cracked ribs and broken nose, shoulder separations, literally all kinds of crap, including concussions

the most painful injuries were the hip pointer and the deep thigh bruise, the bone bruises, very painful and debilitating

Does anyone know how/when Killian’s hip injury first occurred?

I don't think he's NBA ready, and he may never be. Possibly if he comes back and drastically improves and I'm not even sure if he'll be the star of the team with Rui and Norvel coming back (and Perk's steady hand). If what some have posted is true and he doesn't like school, well then that's his decision and he can choose to leave. Nobody questions his ability to play for a long time in Europe... Just not sure how much he wants the NBA -- If that's his goal, he better get in the gym all summer and have a great junior year next year.

I would LOVE for him to come back. He's a great kid and a great talent and I love it when the zags get kids in the NBA -- and he'll definitely get looks with a solid year and good tourney run next year. Though Tillie has been part of two deep runs, if he stays he could be part of zag history with the first national championship -- and yes, I believe the ceiling is that high if the team returns both Tillie and Rui and Clarke is as good as advertised (throw in a possible grad transfer if we have room).

Either way, I hope he makes the right decision for him and his family.

I have a hunch we will either see Josh and Killian playing next year for the Zags, or both will be gone to Europe. I've felt that they were a package deal this whole season and that their level of play has had the highest correlative impact on each other as any duo in Zags history.

one area of Tillie's game oft-overlooked is his defense.

Really a spectacular defender, especially along the perimeter. Does a nice job fronting guards or covering switches.

Rui's 2 weakest parts of his game -- 3pt shot and covering said switches. We got burnt vs FSU off this exact move/play.

Yes, Tillie would have opened up the middle, spread the floor by forcing out their bigs, provided depth, 3pt shot, offensive rebounds, yet most importantly...

DEFENSE.

I've felt he was our overall best defender by season's end. Better than Silas to be honest.

Tillie was out muscled on occasion, and didn't bring his A-game to NCAA, but his defense is what is being noticed by many NBA scouts, along with this versatile game.

This alone would have made a HUGE difference vs FSU, let alone stopping that 11-1 run at end of 1st half with everyone on the bench (bad move by Few, even facing 2 fouls).

Every time we got within 5, Mann or another FSU guard would make our bigs look silly in the paint. Just dunk over them after finding a seam. Tillie was great at covering and limiting this seam.

Via the athletic:

34. Brooklyn Nets (via Magic): Killian Tillie — 6-10, 215 pounds; Gonzaga, So.
    I personally have Tillie higher on my board than this. He’s possibly the highest-IQ big in this class, an absolutely terrific defender both on the perimeter and at the rim who can also pass the heck out of the ball and knock down shots from 3. That’s the perfect player for anyone, but particularly for what Kenny Atkinson wants from bigs.
    https://theathletic.com/205405/2018/...-as-1a-and-1b/

Quote Originally Posted by Samiam View Post
    Does anyone know how/when Killian’s hip injury first occurred?
    Tuesday practice. Collision with a teammate.

He received treatment Weds & Thurs, was feeling g2g by game time.

Was cleared by the Trainer and Medical Staff. Apparently, re-aggravated in pre-game warmups after dunking the ball.

Informed Coach Few while walking down the tunnel to the Lockerroom, essentially minutes before tip-off.

The team was in shock.

And played like it. Losing a season-long, every game starter RIGHT before tip-off is hard to recover for any team (not to mention the 2nd leading scorer, rebounder, shot blocker, steals). The plays, options, passes, timing, etc all off. Rui ain't used to starting either, or playing those minutes.

Last time Tillie came off bench, he scored 28 pts.

The first 5 mins of a bball game are generally "set" run plays, designed plays. To test the game plan, etc. Players have certain responsibilities, plays. That was thrown out the window just minutes before tip off.

Killian Tillie was hurt, benefit of doubt to him, yet have a feeling he was protecting himself a bit. He walked just fine pre-game, on the bench, up and down, smiling, high fiving, clapping, jumping up to cheer, and walked out just fine. I'm sure it was bothering him, yet wonder if he could have played through it. We'll never know...

He made the call, not the trainer. That should be noted.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Tuesday practice. Collision with a teammate.

He received treatment Weds & Thurs, was feeling g2g by game time.

Was cleared by the Trainer and Medical Staff. Apparently, re-aggravated in pre-game warmups after dunking the ball.

Informed Coach Few while walking down the tunnel to the Lockerroom, essentially minutes before tip-off.

The team was in shock.

And played like it. Losing a season-long, every game starter RIGHT before tip-off is hard to recover for any team (not to mention the 2nd leading scorer, rebounder, shot blocker, steals). The plays, options, passes, timing, etc all off. Rui ain't used to starting either, or playing those minutes.

Last time Tillie came off bench, he scored 28 pts.

The first 5 mins of a bball game are generally "set" run plays, designed plays. To test the game plan, etc. Players have certain responsibilities, plays. That was thrown out the window just minutes before tip off.

Killian Tillie was hurt, benefit of doubt to him, yet have a feeling he was protecting himself a bit. He walked just fine pre-game, on the bench, up and down, smiling, high fiving, clapping, jumping up to cheer, and walked out just fine. I'm sure it was bothering him, yet wonder if he could have played through it. We'll never know...

He made the call, not the trainer. That should be noted.
    Not exactly a warrior, you might say.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Hoping Tillie stays, this minor injury could decide one way or the other -- I'm sure scouts are high on him, his multi position, modern day hybrid forward game, but he also has major red flags.

Namely his consistency, or lack thereof. Outside the WCC tourney, just look at last 2 yrs. Has never once put back-to-back games together. His other is his motor. Runs cold, or off far top often. There are plays or games he literally doesn't even attempt a box out, or rebound, or really want to shoot, etc.

Second, his injury concerns. He's missed time from ankle issues, several sprains, and now a questionable hip.

How tough is he? Will he play through injury as 99.9% of NBA guys do by mid-season?

Big question marks.

A ton of pros, but concerning cons, esp for an 82 game season he'd be playing.

Hip pointers/bursitis can be debilitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    Hip pointers/bursitis can be debilitating.
    2 different issues/injuries.

But you're right, hip pointers can be very painful, sometimes never heal properly, or last months on end.

Just ask Isaiah Thomas.

one area of Tillie's game oft-overlooked is his defense.

Really a spectacular defender, especially along the perimeter. Does a nice job fronting guards or covering switches.

Rui's 2 weakest parts of his game -- 3pt shot and covering said switches. We got burnt vs FSU off this exact move/play.

Yes, Tillie would have opened up the middle, spread the floor by forcing out their bigs, provided depth, 3pt shot, offensive rebounds, yet most importantly...

DEFENSE.

I've felt he was our overall best defender by season's end. Better than Silas to be honest.

Tillie was out muscled on occasion, and didn't bring his A-game to NCAA, but his defense is what is being noticed by many NBA scouts, along with this versatile game.

This alone would have made a HUGE difference vs FSU, let alone stopping that 11-1 run at end of 1st half with everyone on the bench (bad move by Few, even facing 2 fouls).

Every time we got within 5, Mann or another FSU guard would make our bigs look silly in the paint. Just dunk over them after finding a seam. Tillie was great at covering and limiting this seam.

Via the athletic:

https://theathletic.com/205405/2018/...-as-1a-and-1b/

I disagree with this. Too many times this year, Tillie was a complete liability on D. On the big stage he was absolutely torched by Bates-Diop. He's got the tools, but many times it seemed like it was a lack of focus that hurt him defensively. Hate to say it, but it was almost like he didn't care. Against OSU he had Bates-Diop in the most important possession of the game and Bates-Diop went right by him like he wasn't there... It took Rui's incredible block to bail out what could have been a game winning bucket for the buckeyes.

I just don't see Tillie ready for the NBA especially on the defensive end. While this means I disagree with polished NBA scouts, well, that's just how I see it.

my observations exactly...he sat within 1 or 2 players from coaches engaging players throughout with encouragement before during and after timeouts.

Quote Originally Posted by BULLDOG#1 View Post
    I disagree with this. Too many times this year, Tillie was a complete liability on D. On the big stage he was absolutely torched by Bates-Diop. He's got the tools, but many times it seemed like it was a lack of focus that hurt him defensively. Hate to say it, but it was almost like he didn't care. Against OSU he had Bates-Diop in the most important possession of the game and Bates-Diop went right by him like he wasn't there... It took Rui's incredible block to bail out what could have been a game winning bucket for the buckeyes.

I just don't see Tillie ready for the NBA especially on the defensive end. While this means I disagree with polished NBA scouts, well, that's just how I see it.
    Not the best example, but its still an example.

Question his motor and "will to", more than his ability and fundamentals.

Exactly what I pointed out in my next post. Tillie has all the tools, actually a terrific defender of guards, which is what you need at next level, and what we needed vs FSU. They sliced, diced, and slashed us.

Tillie is being noted FOR his defense. Quick hands, steals, bouncy, etc.

In games vs Ohio St, or many games this year, he was simply a "no show". His defense was bad, yet so was his rebounding on both sides, moving without the ball, posting up, etc.

You pointed out a red flag, as I suggested, and what he needs to work on.

Tillie has the tools, a bit more strength will be helpful, but when Tillie WANTS TO turn it on, he's probably our best overall player, maybe most unstoppable given his ability to hit 3's, mid range, post up, etc. Even more dominant than Rui, when he WANTS.

Tillie has a "selective" motor and that's a problem for many scouts.

Not the best example, but its still an example.

Question his motor and "will to", more than his ability and fundamentals.

Exactly what I pointed out in my next post. Tillie has all the tools, actually a terrific defender of guards, which is what you need at next level, and what we needed vs FSU. They sliced, diced, and slashed us.

Tillie is being noted FOR his defense. Quick hands, steals, bouncy, etc.

In games vs Ohio St, or many games this year, he was simply a "no show". His defense was bad, yet so was his rebounding on both sides, moving without the ball, posting up, etc.

You pointed out a red flag, as I suggested, and what he needs to work on.

Tillie has the tools, a bit more strength will be helpful, but when Tillie WANTS TO turn it on, he's probably our best overall player, maybe most unstoppable given his ability to hit 3's, mid range, post up, etc. Even more dominant than Rui, when he WANTS.

Tillie has a "selective" motor and that's a problem for many scouts.
    You're right, I did cherry pick a situation and that wasn't really fair to your overall sentiment.

We do agree that he's got good defensive tools, and properly motivated could be a stellar defender. Also agree that the scouts probably are worried about the 'selective' motor. Still I have to disagree with you (and apparently NBA scouts) that Tillie has ability to be a stellar defender at the NBA level. If I just randomly think of decent NBA 2s, 3s, and 4s... I don't see Tillie as locking them down.

The game announcers said that when they attended the Zag practice Tillie was there suited up but did not participate. When they asked Few what was up he gave an evasive non answer. Point is, he was unable to practice day before game, so he must have been pretty sore.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    The game announcers said that when they attended the Zag practice Tillie was there suited up but did not participate. When they asked Few what was up he gave an evasive non answer. Point is, he was unable to practice day before game, so he must have been pretty sore.
    Yea he was sore. He was also good to go Wednesday night before he told few he hurt himself. The thing is people have different pain tolerances. You got Purdue guy begging to play with a broken elbow and another guy with a tear in his groin.

Some can push through and others can't. Unfortunately, Tillie left a sour note for some zag fans. (Excluding me as I'm hoping he was truly hurt.)
    Love the zags for life

Tillie needs to work on his body and being more consistent. He is talented and needs to stick with the program for one more year. He didn’t come to Gonzaga to end up in Europe. Hope he gives himself that chance to improve a little more.

I'm sure the injury was quite painful, and Herb Brooks was not around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY5LGFhiTBU

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    That is opposite of what the situs/xm announcer said..they attended and he was practicing...then pregame was told no go due injury sustained during warmups.....bizzarre
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    That is opposite of what the situs/xm announcer said..they attended and he was practicing...then pregame was told no go due injury sustained during warmups.....bizzarre
    Few was caught off guard by Tillie saying he can't play.
    Love the zags for life

All the rationalizing of why Tillie must return reminds me of the board last year with Zach Collins

Do you think Tillie will be a lottery pick? If not its nothing like that. Collins also went out playing incredible, albeit the fouls, whereas Tillie tapped out and had played mediocre at best in the preceding games.

In short, the scenarios are nothing alike.

No one should leave early from this team, just like they shouldn't have last year with the exception of maybe Collins due to the payday. But as far as the ability to play and perform in the league? Everyone should have returned last year, and this year to be quite honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag79 View Post
    No one should leave early from this team, just like they shouldn't have last year with the exception of maybe Collins due to the payday. But as far as the ability to play and perform in the league? Everyone should have returned last year, and this year to be quite honest.
    The reports have been that Tillie doesn't want to be in school. He loves Gonzaga etc, but doesn't want to be in school.

He will make good money in Europe if he chooses to leave. He will always be a Zag!
    It's not funny.

I hope Tillie comes back. He needs some strength and quickness. Collins had a motor. Like Sabonis. Frankly, Tillie looks like he had fun out there. He seems vocal on the bench.

He may just want to be done with school, which is perhaps understandable given how far away he is from home. However, if he wants to play on the NBA - GU will be the best place for that.