• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adoptedzag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Salty tears of disappointment thread

Can we have a non-polyanna thread? If not, mods please delete/move/etc

At the beginning of the season, I thought sweet 16 would be a solid performance. This team has it's issues, but I felt we could get to the 2nd weekend. Then as the bracket opened up, I thought Final 4/NC was a real possibility, I would say about 50%.

I really hate saying this, but we didn't play zags ball. Coach Hamilton was 100% correct at halftime when he said that we threw our offense out and starting playing 1v1.

As far as "the injury" goes.... we'll see how next year's team shakes out.
  • strikenowhere
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2009

Man....I'm just shaking my head at seeing Tillie suited up on the bench the whole time...

Comment

• krozman
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2008

Of all the seasons, this one doesn't really hurt. They didn't make shots and they had Tillie injured. Whatcha gunna do.
      Krozman
      GU student 1996-2000
      Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• billyberu
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by krozman View Post
        Of all the seasons, this one doesn't really hurt. They didn't make shots and they had Tillie injured. Whatcha gunna do.
        This

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
        There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
        Surfmonkey89

Comment

• RenoZag
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

You can have a non-pollyana thread to vent and rant. Go for it. But if it turns into a dumpster fire filled with attacks on player(s), it will be dealt with
          The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• gonstu
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Fire Few!

Comment

• Ezag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Fans suck, didn't cheer hard enough

Comment

• adoptedzag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                You can have a non-pollyana thread to vent and rant. Go for it. But if it turns into a dumpster fire filled with attacks on player(s), it will be dealt with
                That's fair. Don't get it twisted, it was a good season. Just the "what could have been" looms large this year.

Comment

• gobroncsgozags
                  Bleeds GU Blue
                  • Mar 2008

Like many, I expected a Sweet 16 or so. Got my hopes up a bit as they started playing well, thinking Elite 8. My only "salty tears" are because of how it ended.

Poor gameplan and few good adjustments
                  Poor execution and some terrible mistakes to lose momentum
                  Poor shooting all around
                  Maybe worst of all, just plain out hustled and out played

Even then, it was a decent ride and the Zags were in it most of the way.

Comment

• rennis
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2007

We would all be really upset if it was not for last year. This would have been one of the best shots at the FF we have had in years otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Originally posted by Coach Few
                    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2009

We'll never know if this team could have won this game with a healthy Killian Tillie, but I have to tip my hat to Florida State for a great game. They were the better team in this game.

Gonzaga’s future is bright. Our underclassmen are really good. We’ll reload and come back with another Top 25 team next year.
                      “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• RenoZag
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by adoptedzag View Post
                        That's fair. Don't get it twisted, it was a good season. Just the "what could have been" looms large this year.
                        I'm disappointed they played like crap tonight too, but I really didn't think they were a S-16 caliber team after Villanova whipped them in MSG, so I'm happy they made it as far as they did. Rui & Zach were amazing (at times) and Kispert looks really promising.
                        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Samiam
                          Redshirt
                          • Apr 2017

My guess is that Tilley has been nursing his injury for some time. That would explain his periodic disappearance and lack of activity throughout the season. It was probably ok for theWCC tourney then was tweaked at the start of the dance and went downhill from there. Hip injuries are difficult to heal. Look at Isaiah Thomas. Some hip injuries take a year to recover. some never do.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                            I'm disappointed they played like crap tonight too, but I really didn't think they were a S-16 caliber team after Villanova whipped them in MSG, so I'm happy they made it as far as they did. Rui & Zach were amazing (at times) and Kispert looks really promising.
                            Corey needed to step up tonight, and didn't deliver.

Comment

• raise the zag
                              Zag for Life
                              • May 2011

FSU's Mann was their leading scorer, leader, and momentum stopper....and played through a torn groin muscle.

Every time we got within 5 or 6, he would score.

Comment

Working...
                              X