Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Salty tears of disappointment thread

Default Salty tears of disappointment thread

Can we have a non-polyanna thread? If not, mods please delete/move/etc

At the beginning of the season, I thought sweet 16 would be a solid performance. This team has it's issues, but I felt we could get to the 2nd weekend. Then as the bracket opened up, I thought Final 4/NC was a real possibility, I would say about 50%.

I really hate saying this, but we didn't play zags ball. Coach Hamilton was 100% correct at halftime when he said that we threw our offense out and starting playing 1v1.

As far as "the injury" goes.... we'll see how next year's team shakes out.

Man....I'm just shaking my head at seeing Tillie suited up on the bench the whole time...

Of all the seasons, this one doesn't really hurt. They didn't make shots and they had Tillie injured. Whatcha gunna do.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    Of all the seasons, this one doesn't really hurt. They didn't make shots and they had Tillie injured. Whatcha gunna do.
    This

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

You can have a non-pollyana thread to vent and rant. Go for it. But if it turns into a dumpster fire filled with attacks on player(s), it will be dealt with

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Fire Few!

Fans suck, didn't cheer hard enough

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    You can have a non-pollyana thread to vent and rant. Go for it. But if it turns into a dumpster fire filled with attacks on player(s), it will be dealt with
    That's fair. Don't get it twisted, it was a good season. Just the "what could have been" looms large this year.

Like many, I expected a Sweet 16 or so. Got my hopes up a bit as they started playing well, thinking Elite 8. My only "salty tears" are because of how it ended.

Poor gameplan and few good adjustments
    Poor execution and some terrible mistakes to lose momentum
    Poor shooting all around
    Maybe worst of all, just plain out hustled and out played

Even then, it was a decent ride and the Zags were in it most of the way.

We would all be really upset if it was not for last year. This would have been one of the best shots at the FF we have had in years otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

We'll never know if this team could have won this game with a healthy Killian Tillie, but I have to tip my hat to Florida State for a great game. They were the better team in this game.

Gonzaga’s future is bright. Our underclassmen are really good. We’ll reload and come back with another Top 25 team next year.

Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post
    That's fair. Don't get it twisted, it was a good season. Just the "what could have been" looms large this year.
    I'm disappointed they played like crap tonight too, but I really didn't think they were a S-16 caliber team after Villanova whipped them in MSG, so I'm happy they made it as far as they did. Rui & Zach were amazing (at times) and Kispert looks really promising.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

My guess is that Tilley has been nursing his injury for some time. That would explain his periodic disappearance and lack of activity throughout the season. It was probably ok for theWCC tourney then was tweaked at the start of the dance and went downhill from there. Hip injuries are difficult to heal. Look at Isaiah Thomas. Some hip injuries take a year to recover. some never do.

I'm disappointed they played like crap tonight too, but I really didn't think they were a S-16 caliber team after Villanova whipped them in MSG, so I'm happy they made it as far as they did. Rui & Zach were amazing (at times) and Kispert looks really promising.
    Corey needed to step up tonight, and didn't deliver.

FSU's Mann was their leading scorer, leader, and momentum stopper....and played through a torn groin muscle.

Every time we got within 5 or 6, he would score.

Surprisingly, this game just convinced me it’s time for Zags to move to the MWC or some better conference. I was pissed when Brendan Haywood predicted FSU win because “Gonzaga isn’t used to ACC athletes.” Then the game happened and that’s exactly what it looked like.

Zags settled for 1 on 1 ball because the D of FSU was so disruptive and new to them.

I hope we get to see a lineup of Perkins, Norvell, Rui, Clarke, Tillie next season.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    He had some freshman moments tonight for sure. Next year I think he'll be a great contributor. We need more alphas on this team and I think Norvell and Kispert can be those for us.

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    Definitely not nearly as painful as some of the losses us Zags fans have endured. Don't think I need to list them lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Surprisingly, this game just convinced me it’s time for Zags to move to the MWC or some better conference. I was pissed when Brendan Haywood predicted FSU win because “Gonzaga isn’t used to ACC athletes.” Then the game happened and that’s exactly what it looked like.

Zags settled for 1 on 1 ball because the D of FSU was so disruptive and new to them.

I hope we get to see a lineup of Perkins, Norvell, Rui, Clarke, Tillie next season.
    Don't forget Filip and Joel...

Quote Originally Posted by jpn17 View Post
    Definitely not nearly as painful as some of the losses us Zags fans have endured. Don't think I need to list them lol.
    I will. Loss to UCLA was far more painful.

Me too....a sad ending for a team with so much potential....Florida State probably made them look so inept....but the mistakes were hard to watch....

Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post
    He had some freshman moments tonight for sure. Next year I think he'll be a great contributor. We need more alphas on this team and I think Norvell and Kispert can be those for us.
    Agree completely...Corey and Zach will lead the team the next 2-3 years.

I'm disappointed a bit that we didn't move on. I was looking forward to informally hosting a couple of alumni events in the Mercado in San Antonio. I've been to SA countless times, due to its proximity to my abode, and the multitude of marching band contests my sons have appeared in over the years, which are always held in San Antonio.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Don’t agree. He played as good as could be expected, give him more time in WCC play maybe and then expect more out of him in post season play but he played his part tonight. Would of expected more from Silas. Also would expect Tillie to man up with a “bruise” for the biggest game of the year. Not sure how anyone can slight Kispert. Not seeing it at all.

I didn't fully appreciate it until both teams were on the court together, but that was a tough match-up for our Zags, especially with Tillie out. FSU had incredible size, athleticism, and depth in their back-court that really gave our guys fits. Norvell especially had a hard time getting it going against their athletes. On top of that, JW3 didn't have a great match-up to exploit going against a trio of agile, seven foot, shot blockers. Finally, their depth was inevitably going to give them a huge advantage down the stretch and that's what we saw happen.

We had several blown opportunities that turned into buckets for FSU that definitely hurt, but all in all, it felt like we were out matched from the get go. With a health Tillie it's a different game, but credit to FSU, they're a very talented team and just a challenging match-up for us. Undoubtedly, FSU is much much better than a 9 seed when they are clicking.

I thought Kispert brought some much needed energy..... and that drive and reverse was cool as hell.....

No way I will criticize Tillie, I have had bruises to my back that were so painful I could not even walk without support....