Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barta gone! :(

Don't just send us out the door yet.

That move to the MWC is not a done deal, at least yet.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    That move to the MWC is not a done deal, at least yet.
    ZagDad
    THAT... Would be some of the best news I've heard lately, if the move doesn't happen. The WCC is (much) better with Gonzaga.

Following it from the Zag men's BB side however, makes it seem as it's pretty much a done deal. As I said, I hope that's NOT the case!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CG3Dad View Post
    Following it from the Zag men's BB side however, makes it seem as it's pretty much a done deal. As I said, I hope that's NOT the case!
    Keep in mind that a large percentage of the posters on the Men's side only care about Mbb and could care less about any of the other issues. When a poll was done on the men side, the results gave the move to the MWC a 57% approval rate. If the move was left up to the men's board we would already be gone.

Thankfully, Mike Roth, Mark Few, The Board of Trustees and the Board of Regents is tasked with taking into account how all of GU athletics and the university as a whole would be impacted by the move and not the posters on the Mbb.

It may still happen, but it is not a done deal.

ZagDad

CG3Dad, I have been thinking about your post and wondering about what else the general fandom might not know about the system (schedules, media, etc.) that elite players experience. Would you feel comfortable sharing more about that with us (realizing this is an incredibly broad question)?

Default Barta gone! 😞

Quote Originally Posted by Zag Swagger View Post
    Would you feel comfortable sharing more about that with us (realizing this is an incredibly broad question)?
    Zag Swagger,

Yes. I would.

It IS incredibly broad. I think I need some time to gather my thoughts around this. At times I felt like Jerry Mcguire. It's the kinda ugly side of the Elite (top 100) recruiting game that gets to you.

https://youtu.be/zDbV2-tZgbg

I appreciate your interest in this peek into the true to life, behind the scenes world of what some of these girls/women (and their families) are going through.

If it's okay with the forum community, I will start a separate Off Topic thread on this, and write a little bit at a time?

I actually have already started writing a book on this subject, entitled "Little Girl Power". I've always encouraged my girls (I have two) to be strong and to not let anything hold them back from achieving their dreams. Chelsey's older sister Ari just shipped out for boot camp last week to serve our country as a U.S. Marine.

As a start, this online article gives a bit of a summary about some of Chelsey's experiences around the sport she loves so much:

Chelsey Gipson speeds her way to new heights on the court:

http://www.prep2prep.com/feature.aspx?ArticleID=18180

Please let me know what aspects of this topic interest you. The intent here is not to focus specifically on Chelsey as a player, but her and her family's experiences throughout this journey.

I remember when Chelsey first started out in AAU (GBL Candace Parker Lady Rebels) and I was sitting with Jordin Canada's mom. She came to see this lower division player that people affectionately called "little Jordin". I'll never forget when she turned to me and said "get ready for it!".

"Get ready for what?" I asked.

The "mean-ness" she said.

Thanks for your willingness to share your family’s story. As fans of the players and the game I think this would shed valuable insight to things we could never possibly be aware of otherwise. A different thread would be great. Best wishes to Chelsey and thanks in advance to Ari for her service to our country. Quite the young women in your family, bet you are really proud.

I see one of the draft mock draft boards have JB going in the second round, a log shot to make a team. Only 2% of college players get to the next level.
    After watching the Ducks last night I'm thinking JB may have been able to push them over the hump, wonder if she has any regrets not going with KG to Oregon.
    IMO Graves is not any better at coaching than many others, but he has an ability to pick out talent better than all others. In college recruiting is everything, KG leaves no stone unturned in his efforts to get the best.
    Many on the board see JB's departure as a negative, but that said it gives The Freshmen players a chance to step up and become stars, someone has to take the shots JB took, I expect the Zags will be as good as ever in conf. play.
    Overheard many say that they were tired of the JB show, maybe it can become the CLF show, expect the team to be much more balanced next year. I don't hold it against JB but we needed others to step up to make it more of a team show.
    If big EW was able to play a deep run would have been likely, just one player away from great things. Hope CLF staff can recruit a true big for next year.
    Go Zags.

I will say that JB has been amazing for us...appreciate her time here...

Steve Christlaw, a freelance columnist for the Spokane Spokesman-Review, offered this column in the March 28th edition of the newspaper. I thought it rather well done, as he offered his take on Barta, her career and her future:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...harts-her-own/

Barta: Please try to understand! She's ready for the next step in her life. From the Spokesman-Reviews Jim Allen:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...memorable-gon/

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Barta: Please try to understand! She's ready for the next step in her life. From the Spokesman-Reviews Jim Allen:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...memorable-gon/
    Yes, and as the article notes, Jill told the coaches early in the season that she might leave at the end of the year. CLF did what she needed to do: got others ready to be able to play next year.

Let's move on - I have only fond memories of Jill as a Zag and wish her the best. And I look forward to a great Lady Zags season next year!

O'k, so what I get from the article is:

JB is not "really" tired of basketball as was the claim earlier, she is tired of going to school and playing basketball which is very understandable given the rigors of college work and D-1 basketball.

We wish her luck in the WNBA draft which is to be held April 12, 2018.

ZagDad

If she told the coaches early in the year, why wasn't she treated like the sr. that she was. No sr. night etc. What a lack of respect by the coaches if it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by pony View Post
    If she told the coaches early in the year, why wasn't she treated like the sr. that she was. No sr. night etc. What a lack of respect by the coaches if it's true.
    She told the coaches she was "considering" not coming back for her 4th year of eligibility. She did not tell them she was not coming back until after the season was over.

ZagDad

pony, I notice that players who did very well in college bb or had extraordinary physical size can't even make it in the wnba...but to me the nba/wnba isn't the end all of bb....nba really isn't even bb....there's a funny you tube about traveling in the nba and they had pics of several players moving both feet and taking steps and nothing is called....plus, they don't play much defense.....the wnba seems to want to mimic the nba in many ways...

I notice that Jennifer Hamson, 6'7" is playing in Australia, along with Kalani Purcell, as well as our Kayla Standish and many other great college players.....so yes, it takes everything to go extremely right to make a wnba roster if one wanted....the first year that sloot was playing I didn't know if she would stick , but she has...

I never thought that KG was a great game day coach....He did immediately snag the assistant coach from Oregon state when he left here, and I'm think that that coach had the ins with Sab. I, etc....also, it really was CLF who recruited many of our good players, Jill B included, but also my fav Keani and I don't think we would have Chandler here without CLF's input....

recruiting is one thing....

now, CLF has just got to get game management down pat... Mark Few even with all his exp is still sometimes open to lapses....she'll need to use now until November to get our bigs to become more aggressive underneath the basket....

sounds like our newbies will need to contribute right away...

What most people don't realize is how hard it is to make it in the WNBA.

There are only 12 WNBA teams and last year the roster size was 12. Thus only 144 players make WNBA rosters. I think they may have increased the roster size to 13 for this year, thus, there will be 156 players in the WNBA.

Assuming a 10-20% turnover rate due to retirements, veterans being beat out, injuries, etc. this leaves a maximum of 15-31 spots available for non-WNBA players.

Now there are 351 D1 colleges, assuming an average roster size of 12 with even distribution between each grade level including redshirt, 20% will leave their college basketball teams every year. This comes out to 842 players available to the WNBA.

Now mix in the early leavers (like JB) and the European/Austrailian/American Players from Overseas, plus those WNBA players returning from injury, etc. and you easily have another 250 players available for the WNBA in addition to the college players.

In summary, you have 1,100+ players vying for 15-31 available spots on a WNBA roster. Somebody mentioned the upcoming WNBA draft is 3 rounds. Combine 12 WNBA teams plus 3 rounds of the draft and you get 36 total players, from all sources drafted into the WNBA each year. It is very hard to make the WNBA for anybody and there certainly is no shame in not making it.

So when I said it was unlikely that JB would be "drafted" it was not a knock on JB, it is simply a matter of numbers. Do I think JB is one of the top 36 players available in college or from around the world not currently in the WNBA, and my answer was no. But it only takes one team, that thinks she is for her to be drafted. More likely than being drafted is that she will be offered a training camp contract or 10-day contract and given a chance to show her value against the best in training camp. I am sure that JB will get her shot, just like Shelby Cheslek did and Standish, Redmon, etc did before her.

The top salaries in the WNBA are just over $100,000 per year. This is fine but no where near the 7 and 8 figure salaries made by the men. Thus, may of the WNBA players go overseas to supplement their salaries. For example, nine (9) of the Chicago Sky are currently playing overseas. If you are an all-star in the WNBA, you can make big money overseas. Diana Taurasi was paid $1,000,000 not to play for her WNBA team one year and risk injury. There are lots of potential pitfalls by playing overseas, but you can make a good living doing it.

Shelby Cheslek is a good example of a solid player in high demand overseas but not the WNBA All-Star. She played for a Greece team in last year's Euro League and finished first or second in rebounding. She then immediately went to Australia after the Euro League season was over to play for the summer where she again dominated the rebounding statistics. Then as the Australian summer league season was over she went directly to Hungary to play for a Euro League team there. Always playing, always in demand.

Kayla Standish is an unusual case. Australia, like many foreign countries has specific rules on how many foreign players that can be on any given team, so that the majority of spots are reserved for national players to develop the game within the country. I think it was one or two years ago that Kayla became an Australian citizen. While she likely had many reasons for this, an added benefit is now she does not count as a foreign player in Australia, thus making her much more valuable to the Australian league plus she is very, very good.

ZagDad

I'm pretty sure Hamson is on a WNBA roster.

ZagDad, I've seen Barta projected near the beginning of the 2nd round in some mock drafts. It's not at all unreasonable to think she'll be drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    ZagDad, I've seen Barta projected near the beginning of the 2nd round in some mock drafts. It's not at all unreasonable to think she'll be drafted.
    I had not seen her projected that high, but good for her. Very few 2nd & 3rd round selections make the teams, so the higher you get selected the more they think of you and typically the longer they will leave you in camp to prove your worth. Hard to prove your worth on a 10-day contract.

ZagDad

[I'm pretty sure Hamson is on a WNBA roster"<P> of course you're probably right...I only was looking at the Australian teams not remembering that they just are finishing up their season IIRC....

I believe also that Kayla has a BF in Australia....when we played Tenn (ugh) here in Spokane a few yrs ago, she was there with a young man....btw, she was stunning....very thin...hair darker...

Jennifer Hamson was a member of the Indiana Fever last year. She only played 7.2 min/game last year resulting in 2.2 Pts/Gm and 2.1 Rbds/Gm.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    I had not seen her projected that high, but good for her. Very few 2nd & 3rd round selections make the teams, so the higher you get selected the more they think of you and typically the longer they will leave you in camp to prove your worth. Hard to prove your worth on a 10-day contract.

ZagDad
    If the WNBA draft is her goal I would've thought she would've stayed another year in college? Not second guessing her decision for her or anything like that, but although she went out at the very top of the WCC this year, outside of that with the PAC-12 elites and Power Five conference candidates, it gets crowded out there pretty quick!

I think her "stock" would've risen even more potentially, especially with the opportunity for RPI improvement that Gonzaga negotiated with the proposed move to MWC? OOC schedule, etc.

IF the Zags could make it a bit deeper in the NCAA tourney that would be a huge accomplishment for the team and her as well. Of course there are other concerns and personal circumstances that are unknown, so - wish her the best nonetheless, I hope she gets her shot and makes good on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best wishes to Jill Barta and her future she is a classy lady. Its been a pleasure watching her play the last 3 years. Hats off to Jill we were lucky to watch her play basketball for 3 years. Good luck Jill on all future endeavors.

Jill B was drafted in the 3rd by the Las Vegas Aces. Hopefully, she makes the team. The Aces picked up the #1 overall pick in A'ja Wilson so Barta has her work cut out for her. Go Vegas! Go Aces! And, as always, Go Runnin' Rebels! (Sorry, I had to give a shout out to my home school).

She was traded "quickly" to the Minnesota Lynx in a trade involving other players and a future 2nd round draft choice.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...raft/33799263/

Go Lynx!