X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bartruff1
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

Guessing people's motives is a risky business.....she owes Gonzaga nothing ......I wish her nothing but the best....

Comment

• SkipZag
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2015

As said before... I also wish Jill the best.

To say she owes GU nothing... I'm not sure.
      GU gave her an opportunity to play BB and receive an education. At $86,000 per year... well hardly nothing.

Again wish her well.

Go Zags!!

Comment

• ZagDad84
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2014

Another article on the Lady Zags after the Barta Departure from the Spokesman Review:

Gonzaga women move forward after surprising departure of standout forward Jill Barta
        UPDATED: Fri., March 23, 2018, 8 p.m.

By Jim Allen
        [email protected]
        (509) 459-5437

What now for Gonzaga women’s basketball?

With the surprise departure of their top player, the Zags “have no choice but to move on,” coach Lisa Fortier said Thursday. But the Zags do have choices. In fact, when she spoke those words, Fortier was on a recruiting trip in California, only five days after the season ended with a loss at Stanford in the NCAA Tournament.

There will be even more recruiting trips following the news that Jill Barta – the Zags’ leading scorer and rebounder this season – announced on Thursday that she would forgo her final year of eligibility. “We may be looking at a transfer,” Fortier said. What kind of transfer? Fortier didn’t say, but it will be hard to replace the athletic, 6-foot-3 Barta, whose 18.8-point scoring average and outside shooting ability made life rough for everyone else in the West Coast Conference.

Barta was the Zags’ top 3-point shooter in average (.381) and makes (40). Combined with the graduation of Emma Stach (39 makes and a .364 percentage), GU loses most of its outside firepower. GU’s returnees shot 24.3 percent from beyond the arc this year. GU returns starting wing Chandler Smith and Katie Campbell but will need a newcomer or transfer to step up next year to match this year’s 27-6 record (17-1 in the WCC).

Also, point guards Laura Stockton and Jessie Loera should have better 3-point shooting next year. The situation is better in the paint, where starting forward Zykera Rice (11.7 points, 5.2 rebounds) returns for her senior year. Fortunately, Fortier and her staff invested heavy minutes in twins Jenn and LeeAnne Wirth, who made big strides on defense. Both should get even more playing time next year. No single player will be able to replace the versatility of Barta, who also led GU in rebounding (8.3 per game), free-throw shooting (87.6 percent) and blocks (30).

Not surprisingly, she’s been named as an All-Regional nominee for the WBCA NCAA Division I All-America team. The honor was announced on Friday – the day after she announced her intention to leave GU. Barta was not available for comment on Thursday or Friday. Fortunately for GU, this has been a senior-heavy season in the WCC. Regular-season runner-up BYU (Must Mean St. Maries)lost first-team all-conference guard Stella Beck. BYU also graduates league scoring champion Cassie Devrashrayee and San Diego will be without its two top performers in guards Aubrey Ward-El and Maya Hood.
        Article Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...rising-depart/

ZagDad

Comment

• sylean
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2010

I'm still sad about this.....I still have Jill's voice on my phone when the players were calling STH's....and I can't tell you how many passwords include Jills name,her number, her town, etc....heck, I still have Zhane's name for a password somewhere....

and, I still can't believe it even though I've heard it months ago that it was a possibility..

Comment

• jbslicer
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

From Montana message board.

Comment

• Zaglaw
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

This article made me feel better about the situation. (I had to answer one question to read the entire article.) Jill is just a great person. She will make her mark as a teacher and a coach.

Well, it did until I read the link jbslicer posted.
              Last edited by Zaglaw; 03-24-2018, 07:57 AM. Reason: Added last sentence

Comment

• sylean
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2010

let her do what she wants...it speaks to integrity however....I would not be surprised to see her with oregone....but we'll still have the graves man love going on.....

if she goes, her folks in Mt will not be able to get to all her games...its pretty good drive just to Spokane...

people say she is a wonderful person, etc....

time will tell...

never ever redshirt a freshman...ever....

Comment

• Kemo 1966
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                  So she want's to take her COMPLETED degree & become a Special Education teacher, one of the noblest professions there is, IMO.

And she gets shi* on this forum. Sorry guys & girls, some of you need to look inside. Deeply. Quickly.
                  You have it right on, @sittingon50! Barta IS A CLASS ACT, as are most Zag players. She has fulfilled her commitment to GU, and is moving ON! Really doesn't matter what she does, as long as it is 'her' choice! If U of M has a Masters Program in Special Ed... why not? Whether she plays basketball or not, it will be up to her! Congratulations to Jill and her many accomplishments! I enjoyed watching her play, even against Pacific! Best wishes to Jill and her bright future!!!!!!!! As for her 'repaying GU'...like most Zag grads', she'll make their (GU SCHOLARSHIP) stipend look like a 5 cent piece of bubble gum.... as a GU grad ambassador .... her face is the 'face of GU women's basketball!

Comment

• seacatfan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2014

Is this based on anything or purely speculation? Barta to Oregon...they have a TON of bigs on the roster already. Hebard and Sabally are going to get big minutes next year. McGwire and Gildon are a nice pair of reserves. Campisano and Giomi can't get minutes. Next year they have Sabally's younger sister coming in, plus Notre Dame transfer Boley who was a McDonald's All American. Barta would get a chance to play with a team that could make a very deep run in the Tourney, but her playing time and production would be significantly less than what she got this year.

I hope for sylean's sake this doesn't happen. The level of bitterness toward Graves would be apocalyptic.

Comment

• kyle dixon
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2007

Once a Zag, always a Zag

Sorry that some have so much hate. Kelly Graves, Jill Barta, et al are Zags.

Comment

• sylean
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2010

[

I hope for sylean's sake this doesn't happen. The level of bitterness toward Graves would be apocalyptic.[/QUOTE]

LOL....I have good reasons.....

Comment

• ladyzaga
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Apr 2014

I too wish Jill all the best. She has been great to watch. This level can be draining.

What is it now...4 or 5 players have left in the last three years and is Jill the only one leaving this year? Recruits must be curious about the attrition rate for the Lady Zags. We all know Gonzaga is a fantastic experience. (fan support, community support, great educational reputation, winning)

So why do they leave? All have left saying positive things but one has to wonder. Especially now. Is it our coach? Our players? Whatever it is I would assume those in the know are aware and... how long before we are not a destination for top shelf recruits? The Zag fan in me hopes Jill does not end up with another Div I program next year as that would be quite a blow to our program. I can't remember the last time a "Player of the Year on a Championship (and tourney) team" left a program for another program.

Say and think whatever you want... we have a problem here and it needs to be dealt with.

The boarders might think I am just being a "sky is fallin" pessimist but, deep down, I'd bet we are all thinking the same thing. Off with the rose colored glasses and on with a healthy dose of realism.

Comment

• ZagDad84
                            Zag for Life
                            • Dec 2014

Interesting Comments:

I read the entire Montana board thread and think it is a lot of fluff and hope thrown out there.

After watching the Ducks play today, if KG were to give her a scholarship (unlikely at best), she would ride the pine. Sabally missed two defensive rotations in a row in the 1st quarter, KG pulled her and put in Oti Gilden. Sabally sat most of the rest of the 1st half. KG would not accept JB's lack of defensive effort. He has lots of better players sitting on his bench, than JB that will play both sides of the ball. JB going to Oregon to play basketball simply will not happen. If it does happen, she will be riding the pine.

I tend to think like the twins (former players with JB at Fairfield) that she is done with basketball in college. Professional ball maybe (IMO not the WNBA but overseas). So I don't think she will grad transfer to Montana or Montana State or Montana Tech but it is possible.

If she became a grad transfer, it would not bother me unless she went to another WCC team. Anywhere else, fine, but transferring to one of our conference opponents would bother me some.

I like what Skip said as a parent. As a teacher, a master's degree automatically moves you up the, not very lucrative salary scale (having been married to a teacher for over 30 yrs). Having to trade basketball for a master's degree seems like a godsend to many college students. She is giving up a lot to go home. Hopefully it is a decision that she does not come to resent later down the road.

Of course she is a zag and always will be a zag. We wish her well in her future endeavors wherever they will lead her.

As far as the players that have left since CLF has taken over the reigns of the Lady Zag Wbb, here are those that I remember:

Danielle Walter - RsJr - Pt. Guard left after 4 years with a degree. Would have been the starting Pt. Guard as a Senior. Left When KG Left.
                            Maiki Viela - Jr. - Pt. Guard left after 3 years with out a degree. Left When KG Left
                            Kacie Bosch - So - Guard left after 2 years due to lack of playing time.
                            Zhane Templeton - Guard left after 2 years due to lack of playing time and reportedly due to personal issues.
                            Grace Collett - Forward - Freshman - Left after one semester to go home reportedly due to family issues and/or homesickness.
                            Jill Barta - RsJr - Forward - Left after her RSJr year with a degree. Reason to be determined (Maybe).

Since this is CLFs fourth year and six (6) different players have left it, at first glance, appears to be a major issue. However, Walters and Viela both were KG recruits and it is understandable that they would leave the program when KG left. Walters also said she was tired of basketball and wanted to go to the next stage of her life (Barta anyone??). Kacie and Zhane simply were not getting playing time and it is easy to understand wanting to get more playing time. In addition, a lot of the incoming recruits were playing their position, so playing time was going to be even more of a premium. Grace was a big loss. She showed such promise as a freshman in the early games, but being away from home was apparently too difficult. Now JB.

Is it bad luck, coaching styles, or what is the reason for the large number of defections? On the good side only Grace was a CLF recruit. All of the other girls (including JB) were primarily KG recruits. The change in coaching staff and priorities may have been a reason for the large number of girls leaving the program. Time will tell.

However, everybody on the roster now is either a CLF signee or a CLF recruit and signee. How the team does from here onward is going to be based solely on players her staff has recruited and signed. No longer will the team be riding the KG coattails with players who were remnants from the KG recruiting classes.

The time is now to show your team, your staff and your fans, that you have the chops for the big shoes of head coach. Next season is the first it will be all on players that you have selected and signed.

Only 7 more months to fan fest and 8 more to season kick-off.

Let's go Zags,

ZagDad
                            Last edited by ZagDad84; 03-24-2018, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• sylean
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2010

Jill has been FANTASTIC for us....

lady, players do come and go...I don't think Zhane was happy here, judging from her tweets, etc..she seemed to miss her family and her boyfriend....Danielle is very friendly with Lisa...very positive on facebook, twitter, etc....Grace, I don't know....we're not supposed to know medical, etc on the players due to Hippa, so perhaps we'll never know...I can't seem to find any info on her after she left, so I don't think she's playing...Mikey...she hung around Danielle so when Danielle left, so did Mikey..she didn't get much playing time, I think she should have...she went on to another college, can't recall which but it was back east, and began with an "M"...(the memory) . Jill seems to be a free spirit and she has completed her 4 yrs..

I think there was some ruffled feathers when JB came on with the older players...that's my take...but that is long gone now...

besides, I'm pretty sure Oregon has players leave with Graves there, one went onto St. Marys' and at least a couple others...

heck, have you seen the defections from WSU just in the last couple of weeks?...

JB....

if she wants to play more but doesn't want to play here for some reason, don't know why because she would own the scoring records, she's almost universally adored, but it would be natural for her to go play for Montana because that is where her heart is and her family and friends....

I'm just going to take her for her word that she wants to get back to Mt and teach...

for now....

Comment

• Zag Swagger
                                Kennel Club Material
                                • Jan 2016

I became curious about transfer rates in general in D1 Women’s B-ball and found an article that suggests that the transfer rates have increased to about 15 percent. If this is accurate, GU’s program is within the national norms. That doesn’t mean that each transfer shouldn’t be examined on a case by case basis by the coaching staff, who have the benefit of more insight into the details of each situation. I can only imagine the pressures of playing D1 ball while trying to navigate all the other challenges of college, being away from home for the first time, becoming an adult, etc.

We have also been the beneficiaries of transfers, from the CLF era - Mak and Chandler.

Traditionally, post-college season buzz has been centered around the NCAA Tournament and the National Championship game. But more recently, the months following the regular season have been filled with announcements of players leaving basketball programs to transfer to other schools. Over the last two years, in particular, transferring seems to have become a national trend,

Comment

Working...
                                X