• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagDad84
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2014

Interesting.

The Spokesman Review article has been updated since it was originally posted with some comments by JB deleted and comments by CLF added.

I should have posted the initial article before it was changed.

The tone of the original article seemed to give some credence to possible issues between CLF and JB as noted by ZagFan14. The updated article not so much.

ZagDad

Comment

• seacatfan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2014

The article TerpZag posted seems like it's all about entering the WNBA draft. Earlier it sounded more like just being ready to be done w/ school and going back to Montana. That's a very significant difference. There haven't been very many players that went to the WNBA w/ eligibility left, but a few have. Candace Parker and Jewell Loyd are two that I can think of off the top of my head.

Comment

• ZagDad84
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
        The article TerpZag posted seems like it's all about entering the WNBA draft. Earlier it sounded more like just being ready to be done w/ school and going back to Montana. That's a very significant difference. There haven't been very many players that went to the WNBA w/ eligibility left, but a few have. Candace Parker and Jewell Loyd are two that I can think of off the top of my head.
        In all honesty, as good as Jill is, she most certainly is not Candace Parker or Jewell Lloyd.

I would be surprised if any WNBA team drafted her. I would expect she would get offered a training camp contract like Shelby Cheslek did. I don't think she is good enough to stick in the WNBA but she is plenty good enough to make a decent living playing overseas if that is what she wants to do.

ZagDad

Comment

• tummydoc
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2013

Sad. I had heard this was true prior to wcc tournament but hoped that it was inaccurate. I was at the tourney and watched for signs of a riff, could not detect it from her face or body language. I think jb handled it professionally. Still sad.

Comment

• OldGoatZagFan
            Bulldog Fan
            • Dec 2015

We as fans are perhaps saddened, but it isn't really about us, is it?!

Jill dedicated 4 years of her life to GU basketball in exchange for a college degree. That's the deal and it is a tough one for the student athlete. For us to think we deserve an extra year is pure selfishness on our part.

Thank you Jill! Keep making life decisions that honor your commitments, embrace your family and community, and put you in the best place to be happy. Be the best special ed teacher you can be!

Comment

• Lurknomore
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Feb 2007

Makes me wonder if she might be thinking of being a grad transfer somewhere.

Comment

• sylean
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2010

I knew of this possibility from an extended family member way back in November....JB seemed to be happier this year and seemed very enthused and team oriented...but if she had her mind made up, she had it made up....

I wish she would have stayed...she'd have all the Zag records...we'd be a real force in the WCC/MWC....

she's been a great player for us...

next year is not going to be a good one unless the coaches come up with some grad transfers immediately....Louise Brown is 6'3" from WSU and I think she would be able to play right away...Nike McLure is leaving WSU too but not sure if she could play right away....

want to add that I hope we stay in the WCC but even if we do, we have to stop recruiting for WCC play...we must keep elevating our roster to compete with the MWC and others...we're going in the right direction but we've had some setbacks...McClard not coming/Grace leaving for unknown reasons and JB leaving early...losing Emma W threw a big wrench in the works too...losing our prime pg to oregon.....
                Last edited by sylean; 03-23-2018, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• seacatfan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2014

Lou Brown is a decent player, not even remotely close to Barta's caliber.

Comment

• seacatfan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ZagDad84 View Post
                    In all honesty, as good as Jill is, she most certainly is not Candace Parker or Jewell Lloyd.

I would be surprised if any WNBA team drafted her. I would expect she would get offered a training camp contract like Shelby Cheslek did. I don't think she is good enough to stick in the WNBA but she is plenty good enough to make a decent living playing overseas if that is what she wants to do.

ZagDad
                    Of course she's not as good as Parker, very few are. I would be shocked if she wasn't drafted though. There are 3 rounds. Although 2nd and 3rd rounders rarely make rosters. All about finding a niche with the right team. Bowman and Standish were really good players that didn't stick in the WNBA. Katelan Redmon hung around for several years. We'll see.

Comment

• seacatfan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by sylean View Post
                      losing our prime pg to oregon.....
                      I'm assuming you are referring to Bando. She's not a PG even slightly at UO. Mostly a spot up 3 point shooter. At this point I think losing all of those bigs you listed has had a much bigger impact on GU than Bando choosing to go to Oregon to play for Coach Graves.

Comment

• sittingon50
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

So she want's to take her COMPLETED degree & become a Special Education teacher, one of the noblest professions there is, IMO.

And she gets shi* on this forum. Sorry guys & girls, some of you need to look inside. Deeply. Quickly.
                        But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Zaglaw
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by OldGoatZagFan View Post
                          Jill dedicated 4 years of her life to GU basketball in exchange for a college degree. That's the deal and it is a tough one for the student athlete. For us to think we deserve an extra year is pure selfishness on our part.
                          I agree and, frankly, I thought it was a bit our of line for CLF to say "we recruited her to play for 4 years." Yes, they did and they chose to red shirt her in year 1. She was at GU for 4 years. Good luck, Jill! I wish you nothing but great success in life.

Comment

• ZagDad84
                            Zag for Life
                            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                            Of course she's not as good as Parker, very few are. I would be shocked if she wasn't drafted though. There are 3 rounds. Although 2nd and 3rd rounders rarely make rosters. All about finding a niche with the right team. Bowman and Standish were really good players that didn't stick in the WNBA. Katelan Redmon hung around for several years. We'll see.
                            You think she will be drafted? I would not be shocked if she was but I do not think she will be. JB is a very good offensive player, but Bowman, Standish and Redmon are her equal offensively (or darn close) and all three are significantly better defensive players. As Adam Morrison showed on the men's side, you have to play both sides of the ball if you want to play in the pros.

In addition, 5-10 years ago 6'3" was a tall girl, now that is a tall guard. Numerous collegiate teams, let alone pro teams have posts and forwards that are 6'5"-6'7". Offensively, I think JB could play a good wing in the WNBA which would keep her out of the physicality of the key, but she does not have the foot speed to guard the opposing wings.

IMO, my best guess for JB is that she will not be drafted but will be offered either a training camp or 10-day contract for a looksee. If she shows well she may get to play in a couple of pre-season games, but I simply cannot see her sticking with a WNBA club. However, if Lindsey Shebert, Shaq Niles, Kiara Kudron can find a place to play in Europe, JB certainly will, if she wants to.

First she has to declare herself open to the draft, that will tell us if she wants to play in the WNBA. If she signs up, then we can see if she gets drafted.

ZagDad

Comment

• ZagDad84
                              Zag for Life
                              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Zaglaw View Post
                              I agree and, frankly, I thought it was a bit our of line for CLF to say "we recruited her to play for 4 years." Yes, they did and they chose to red shirt her in year 1. She was at GU for 4 years. Good luck, Jill! I wish you nothing but great success in life.
                              I agree. I thought that CLF was out of line with her comment as well.

Just to be fair, the original (prior to the update(s)) spokesman review article included some statements by JB that were not exactly positive as well, but nothing as rude as CLF's statement.

Jill owes us nothing including a reason why she left. We wish her the best in her future endeavors whatever they may be.

ZagDad
                              Last edited by ZagDad84; 03-23-2018, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• SkipZag
                                Zag for Life
                                • Nov 2015

While Jill gave GU four years of her life and BB... GU gave her many things also including an education.

As a parent, I think I would point out what GU still had to offer. A master's in her field would be a real plus. Another year on a what could be a very good team could help with the WNBA.

23 with a master's adds to the pocket book.

Just talking as a parent.

Go Zags!!

Comment

Working...
                                X