Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barta gone! :(

So she want's to take her COMPLETED degree & become a Special Education teacher, one of the noblest professions there is, IMO.

And she gets shi* on this forum. Sorry guys & girls, some of you need to look inside. Deeply. Quickly.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGoatZagFan View Post
    Jill dedicated 4 years of her life to GU basketball in exchange for a college degree. That's the deal and it is a tough one for the student athlete. For us to think we deserve an extra year is pure selfishness on our part.
    I agree and, frankly, I thought it was a bit our of line for CLF to say "we recruited her to play for 4 years." Yes, they did and they chose to red shirt her in year 1. She was at GU for 4 years. Good luck, Jill! I wish you nothing but great success in life.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Of course she's not as good as Parker, very few are. I would be shocked if she wasn't drafted though. There are 3 rounds. Although 2nd and 3rd rounders rarely make rosters. All about finding a niche with the right team. Bowman and Standish were really good players that didn't stick in the WNBA. Katelan Redmon hung around for several years. We'll see.
    You think she will be drafted? I would not be shocked if she was but I do not think she will be. JB is a very good offensive player, but Bowman, Standish and Redmon are her equal offensively (or darn close) and all three are significantly better defensive players. As Adam Morrison showed on the men's side, you have to play both sides of the ball if you want to play in the pros.

In addition, 5-10 years ago 6'3" was a tall girl, now that is a tall guard. Numerous collegiate teams, let alone pro teams have posts and forwards that are 6'5"-6'7". Offensively, I think JB could play a good wing in the WNBA which would keep her out of the physicality of the key, but she does not have the foot speed to guard the opposing wings.

IMO, my best guess for JB is that she will not be drafted but will be offered either a training camp or 10-day contract for a looksee. If she shows well she may get to play in a couple of pre-season games, but I simply cannot see her sticking with a WNBA club. However, if Lindsey Shebert, Shaq Niles, Kiara Kudron can find a place to play in Europe, JB certainly will, if she wants to.

First she has to declare herself open to the draft, that will tell us if she wants to play in the WNBA. If she signs up, then we can see if she gets drafted.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by Zaglaw View Post
    I agree and, frankly, I thought it was a bit our of line for CLF to say "we recruited her to play for 4 years." Yes, they did and they chose to red shirt her in year 1. She was at GU for 4 years. Good luck, Jill! I wish you nothing but great success in life.
    I agree. I thought that CLF was out of line with her comment as well.

Just to be fair, the original (prior to the update(s)) spokesman review article included some statements by JB that were not exactly positive as well, but nothing as rude as CLF's statement.

Jill owes us nothing including a reason why she left. We wish her the best in her future endeavors whatever they may be.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 03-23-2018 at 02:33 PM.

While Jill gave GU four years of her life and BB... GU gave her many things also including an education.

As a parent, I think I would point out what GU still had to offer. A master's in her field would be a real plus. Another year on a what could be a very good team could help with the WNBA.

23 with a master's adds to the pocket book.

Just talking as a parent.

Go Zags!!

Guessing people's motives is a risky business.....she owes Gonzaga nothing ......I wish her nothing but the best....

As said before... I also wish Jill the best.

To say she owes GU nothing... I'm not sure.
    GU gave her an opportunity to play BB and receive an education. At $86,000 per year... well hardly nothing.

Again wish her well.

Go Zags!!

Another article on the Lady Zags after the Barta Departure from the Spokesman Review:

Gonzaga women move forward after surprising departure of standout forward Jill Barta
    UPDATED: Fri., March 23, 2018, 8 p.m.

By Jim Allen
    jima@spokesman.com
    (509) 459-5437

What now for Gonzaga women’s basketball?

With the surprise departure of their top player, the Zags “have no choice but to move on,” coach Lisa Fortier said Thursday. But the Zags do have choices. In fact, when she spoke those words, Fortier was on a recruiting trip in California, only five days after the season ended with a loss at Stanford in the NCAA Tournament.

There will be even more recruiting trips following the news that Jill Barta – the Zags’ leading scorer and rebounder this season – announced on Thursday that she would forgo her final year of eligibility. “We may be looking at a transfer,” Fortier said. What kind of transfer? Fortier didn’t say, but it will be hard to replace the athletic, 6-foot-3 Barta, whose 18.8-point scoring average and outside shooting ability made life rough for everyone else in the West Coast Conference.

Barta was the Zags’ top 3-point shooter in average (.381) and makes (40). Combined with the graduation of Emma Stach (39 makes and a .364 percentage), GU loses most of its outside firepower. GU’s returnees shot 24.3 percent from beyond the arc this year. GU returns starting wing Chandler Smith and Katie Campbell but will need a newcomer or transfer to step up next year to match this year’s 27-6 record (17-1 in the WCC).

Also, point guards Laura Stockton and Jessie Loera should have better 3-point shooting next year. The situation is better in the paint, where starting forward Zykera Rice (11.7 points, 5.2 rebounds) returns for her senior year. Fortunately, Fortier and her staff invested heavy minutes in twins Jenn and LeeAnne Wirth, who made big strides on defense. Both should get even more playing time next year. No single player will be able to replace the versatility of Barta, who also led GU in rebounding (8.3 per game), free-throw shooting (87.6 percent) and blocks (30).

Not surprisingly, she’s been named as an All-Regional nominee for the WBCA NCAA Division I All-America team. The honor was announced on Friday – the day after she announced her intention to leave GU. Barta was not available for comment on Thursday or Friday. Fortunately for GU, this has been a senior-heavy season in the WCC. Regular-season runner-up BYU (Must Mean St. Maries)lost first-team all-conference guard Stella Beck. BYU also graduates league scoring champion Cassie Devrashrayee and San Diego will be without its two top performers in guards Aubrey Ward-El and Maya Hood.
    Article Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...rising-depart/

ZagDad

I'm still sad about this.....I still have Jill's voice on my phone when the players were calling STH's....and I can't tell you how many passwords include Jills name,her number, her town, etc....heck, I still have Zhane's name for a password somewhere....

and, I still can't believe it even though I've heard it months ago that it was a possibility..

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...ana/451227002/

This article made me feel better about the situation. (I had to answer one question to read the entire article.) Jill is just a great person. She will make her mark as a teacher and a coach.

Well, it did until I read the link jbslicer posted.
    Last edited by Zaglaw; 03-24-2018 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Added last sentence

let her do what she wants...it speaks to integrity however....I would not be surprised to see her with oregone....but we'll still have the graves man love going on.....

if she goes, her folks in Mt will not be able to get to all her games...its pretty good drive just to Spokane...

people say she is a wonderful person, etc....

time will tell...

never ever redshirt a freshman...ever....

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    So she want's to take her COMPLETED degree & become a Special Education teacher, one of the noblest professions there is, IMO.

And she gets shi* on this forum. Sorry guys & girls, some of you need to look inside. Deeply. Quickly.
    You have it right on, @sittingon50! Barta IS A CLASS ACT, as are most Zag players. She has fulfilled her commitment to GU, and is moving ON! Really doesn't matter what she does, as long as it is 'her' choice! If U of M has a Masters Program in Special Ed... why not? Whether she plays basketball or not, it will be up to her! Congratulations to Jill and her many accomplishments! I enjoyed watching her play, even against Pacific! Best wishes to Jill and her bright future!!!!!!!! As for her 'repaying GU'...like most Zag grads', she'll make their (GU SCHOLARSHIP) stipend look like a 5 cent piece of bubble gum.... as a GU grad ambassador .... her face is the 'face of GU women's basketball!

Is this based on anything or purely speculation? Barta to Oregon...they have a TON of bigs on the roster already. Hebard and Sabally are going to get big minutes next year. McGwire and Gildon are a nice pair of reserves. Campisano and Giomi can't get minutes. Next year they have Sabally's younger sister coming in, plus Notre Dame transfer Boley who was a McDonald's All American. Barta would get a chance to play with a team that could make a very deep run in the Tourney, but her playing time and production would be significantly less than what she got this year.

I hope for sylean's sake this doesn't happen. The level of bitterness toward Graves would be apocalyptic.

Default Once a Zag, always a Zag

Sorry that some have so much hate. Kelly Graves, Jill Barta, et al are Zags.

[

I hope for sylean's sake this doesn't happen. The level of bitterness toward Graves would be apocalyptic.[/QUOTE]

LOL....I have good reasons.....

I too wish Jill all the best. She has been great to watch. This level can be draining.

What is it now...4 or 5 players have left in the last three years and is Jill the only one leaving this year? Recruits must be curious about the attrition rate for the Lady Zags. We all know Gonzaga is a fantastic experience. (fan support, community support, great educational reputation, winning)

So why do they leave? All have left saying positive things but one has to wonder. Especially now. Is it our coach? Our players? Whatever it is I would assume those in the know are aware and... how long before we are not a destination for top shelf recruits? The Zag fan in me hopes Jill does not end up with another Div I program next year as that would be quite a blow to our program. I can't remember the last time a "Player of the Year on a Championship (and tourney) team" left a program for another program.

Say and think whatever you want... we have a problem here and it needs to be dealt with.

The boarders might think I am just being a "sky is fallin" pessimist but, deep down, I'd bet we are all thinking the same thing. Off with the rose colored glasses and on with a healthy dose of realism.

Interesting Comments:

I read the entire Montana board thread and think it is a lot of fluff and hope thrown out there.

After watching the Ducks play today, if KG were to give her a scholarship (unlikely at best), she would ride the pine. Sabally missed two defensive rotations in a row in the 1st quarter, KG pulled her and put in Oti Gilden. Sabally sat most of the rest of the 1st half. KG would not accept JB's lack of defensive effort. He has lots of better players sitting on his bench, than JB that will play both sides of the ball. JB going to Oregon to play basketball simply will not happen. If it does happen, she will be riding the pine.

I tend to think like the twins (former players with JB at Fairfield) that she is done with basketball in college. Professional ball maybe (IMO not the WNBA but overseas). So I don't think she will grad transfer to Montana or Montana State or Montana Tech but it is possible.

If she became a grad transfer, it would not bother me unless she went to another WCC team. Anywhere else, fine, but transferring to one of our conference opponents would bother me some.

I like what Skip said as a parent. As a teacher, a master's degree automatically moves you up the, not very lucrative salary scale (having been married to a teacher for over 30 yrs). Having to trade basketball for a master's degree seems like a godsend to many college students. She is giving up a lot to go home. Hopefully it is a decision that she does not come to resent later down the road.

Of course she is a zag and always will be a zag. We wish her well in her future endeavors wherever they will lead her.

As far as the players that have left since CLF has taken over the reigns of the Lady Zag Wbb, here are those that I remember:

Danielle Walter - RsJr - Pt. Guard left after 4 years with a degree. Would have been the starting Pt. Guard as a Senior. Left When KG Left.
    Maiki Viela - Jr. - Pt. Guard left after 3 years with out a degree. Left When KG Left
    Kacie Bosch - So - Guard left after 2 years due to lack of playing time.
    Zhane Templeton - Guard left after 2 years due to lack of playing time and reportedly due to personal issues.
    Grace Collett - Forward - Freshman - Left after one semester to go home reportedly due to family issues and/or homesickness.
    Jill Barta - RsJr - Forward - Left after her RSJr year with a degree. Reason to be determined (Maybe).

Since this is CLFs fourth year and six (6) different players have left it, at first glance, appears to be a major issue. However, Walters and Viela both were KG recruits and it is understandable that they would leave the program when KG left. Walters also said she was tired of basketball and wanted to go to the next stage of her life (Barta anyone??). Kacie and Zhane simply were not getting playing time and it is easy to understand wanting to get more playing time. In addition, a lot of the incoming recruits were playing their position, so playing time was going to be even more of a premium. Grace was a big loss. She showed such promise as a freshman in the early games, but being away from home was apparently too difficult. Now JB.

Is it bad luck, coaching styles, or what is the reason for the large number of defections? On the good side only Grace was a CLF recruit. All of the other girls (including JB) were primarily KG recruits. The change in coaching staff and priorities may have been a reason for the large number of girls leaving the program. Time will tell.

However, everybody on the roster now is either a CLF signee or a CLF recruit and signee. How the team does from here onward is going to be based solely on players her staff has recruited and signed. No longer will the team be riding the KG coattails with players who were remnants from the KG recruiting classes.

The time is now to show your team, your staff and your fans, that you have the chops for the big shoes of head coach. Next season is the first it will be all on players that you have selected and signed.

Only 7 more months to fan fest and 8 more to season kick-off.

Let's go Zags,

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 03-24-2018 at 08:42 PM.

Jill has been FANTASTIC for us....

lady, players do come and go...I don't think Zhane was happy here, judging from her tweets, etc..she seemed to miss her family and her boyfriend....Danielle is very friendly with Lisa...very positive on facebook, twitter, etc....Grace, I don't know....we're not supposed to know medical, etc on the players due to Hippa, so perhaps we'll never know...I can't seem to find any info on her after she left, so I don't think she's playing...Mikey...she hung around Danielle so when Danielle left, so did Mikey..she didn't get much playing time, I think she should have...she went on to another college, can't recall which but it was back east, and began with an "M"...(the memory) . Jill seems to be a free spirit and she has completed her 4 yrs..

I think there was some ruffled feathers when JB came on with the older players...that's my take...but that is long gone now...

besides, I'm pretty sure Oregon has players leave with Graves there, one went onto St. Marys' and at least a couple others...

heck, have you seen the defections from WSU just in the last couple of weeks?...

JB....

if she wants to play more but doesn't want to play here for some reason, don't know why because she would own the scoring records, she's almost universally adored, but it would be natural for her to go play for Montana because that is where her heart is and her family and friends....

I'm just going to take her for her word that she wants to get back to Mt and teach...

for now....

I became curious about transfer rates in general in D1 Women’s B-ball and found an article that suggests that the transfer rates have increased to about 15 percent. If this is accurate, GU’s program is within the national norms. That doesn’t mean that each transfer shouldn’t be examined on a case by case basis by the coaching staff, who have the benefit of more insight into the details of each situation. I can only imagine the pressures of playing D1 ball while trying to navigate all the other challenges of college, being away from home for the first time, becoming an adult, etc.

We have also been the beneficiaries of transfers, from the CLF era - Mak and Chandler.

http://womenshoopsworld.com/2017/05/...s-and-complex/

that was a good read...but I didn't see anything about graduate transfers, which still must be pretty rare in womens college bb....there was that Stanford gal( IIRC) who transferred to ND last year....(IIRC)

Quote Originally Posted by Zag Swagger View Post
    I can only imagine the pressures of playing D1 ball while trying to navigate all the other challenges of college, being away from home for the first time, becoming an adult, etc.
    Interesting... Pressure indeed.

My take on Barta, from an outsider and "Basketball Dad" looking in. First off, our family knows first hand about the tremendous physical, mental and emotional pressure with a highly skilled D1 level scholar athlete. My daughter Chelsey came up under her basketball "big sister" Jordin Canada. As a freshman Chelsey started and was Jordin's back up point guard at Windward. This was the team that went on to become the number one team in the nation after upsetting the then top team, Mater Dei.
    (Katie Lou Samuelson, Odom from Duke, Rosenblum from UCLA). After the win, Chelsey graced the front page of the Sports section in newspapers:

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...hoto/567421251

She was at the top of her game and ready to "take the reins" as PG of the #1 high school team in the country. Why would any player walk away (transfer) from that?

Answer: She was miserable!

Chelsey went to a public school, before Windward. She missed her friends. She didn't "fit in" as much and the academic rigor was frankly a bit much for her. She didn't have the full time private tutors and resources of her peers. And her family was, unfortunately, going through a traumatic event (divorce). She also didn't really "click" with her coach.

I was very much involved with her, as you can imagine. I remember the night she broke down crying in the car after a particularly rough day. I promised her I would help her. Help meant that we would place her feelings and personal well being first. Not basketball. Not going to one of the best private schools in the country, etc.

She decided to transfer to another program, an L.A. City school, Palisades High. Don't know what their basketball ranking was at the time... Didn't really care. Seeing her happy was all we cared about. She was ridiculed. People said she couldn't "hack" playing at Windward. Made very ugly statements about her academically on public basketball forums and social media.

And then an amazing thing happened:

Chelsey led Palisades to back to back Division 1 championships! She was L.A. City player of the year two years straight. She prospered at Pali... On and most importantly, OFF the court.

She was HAPPY again!

I don't know Jill personally of course. But what I see is an extremely gifted athlete, a fierce competitor who was made to play the game. Very articulate and smart, knows what she wants in life. I also see a very compassionate and caring person who wants to help others. My wife is a special education teacher in the inner city (Compton). Has a "heart of goldl, so I know the personal commitment required to that profession. (It's NOT for the money).

I'm sure there is a great deal of disappointment with Barta's departure. I'M disappointed. Was kinda hoping for another chance for Chelsey and the rest of the LMU to play against her and the Zags again!

Now with her departure coupled with Gonzaga's looming move to Mountain West conference, doesn't look likely to happen.

But all of this pales in comparison to what's most important. Chelsey Gipson's and Jill Barta's happiness. These players almost can become "commodities" at a certain point. They get these "handlers" at some point.

I had to step (back) into the picture before it was too late for my daughter. It was necessary. She was getting lost.

So it makes me smile to think about Jill Barta from that point of view. I'm happy that she and her family are taking steps to ensure the most important thing of all. Best wishes Jill Barta. You're an awesome young woman!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for your insights and sharing this personal story, CG3Dad. I appreciate your comments about the impact of social media on the players and their families. Glad Chelsey has a dad who had her back when she needed it. Life is too short to be miserable if we can help it.

Thanks Keith for reminding us what is really important in this matter and that is what makes JB happy.

While not in anyway to the extreme that the D-1 kids have to go through, my kids had to make a similar decision entering high school.

All of my kids were very good swimmers, frequently beating the best club swimmers in the region. To further their swimming careers would have required them to join the local club swimming club. Swimming practices at 6:00 Am and after school then out of town meets 3 weeks a month. This would have meant that their participation in H.S. sports and activities would have been minimal at best. All three kids decided they would rather be a H.S. kid than further their swimming careers. Nobody ever starred in H.S. sports but the boys won a state football championship and my daughter made all league in softball. All three won regional awards for their participation in orchestra not to name the variety of clubs they were able to be active members and leaders in.

They gave up a lot, but they got a lot and in the end it was what made them happy.

Thanks again for the reminder,

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Thanks again for the reminder,

ZagDad
    You're welcome ZagDad. I have to say I am pretty sad that Jill AND the Zags are leaving the WCC. I understand the reasons however. But sad nonetheless.

At the tourney, as I have said several times, I met some amazing Zag fans, who sat right there with me, cheering Chelsey and LMU on. How refreshing is that?! Having a conference, so-called "rival" genuinely embrace and have a great, common love of this sport and rise above "whose daughter plays for who"'.

I look forward to following the Lady Zags and from time to time, may pop into the forum occasionally to share experiences, hopes and dreams with my Zag friends, on how LMU is doing in the WCC!

#gozags #lionstrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk