Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barta gone! :(

Default Barta gone! :(

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...d-west-coast-/

Is she just not enjoying basketball anymore?

I heard rumor of this the other day from a friend, but I must say I am shocked. Good luck to her!

Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post

told ya all this a couple of months ago.....I heard an extended family member say that Jill talked about leaving back then....

so I cringed when people would criticize her....when she is gone, its going to be very very difficult for this team...

so some people will get what they want on this board...thx for nothing....

to Jill.....if this is your dream, good for you....I wanted you to be there to break all the records and you could have...you had a coach that didn't play you enough early on and that was sad..I think you are the most amazing player...will miss you so much...

I think one of the reasons CLF pushed the Wirths is because she knew this was coming...

and now what.....we are sorely lacking in big players and the coaches had better get on the stick and stop playing like size doesn't matter...

if we do indeed go to the MW next season, we might just get crushed....I hope not...

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post

so some people will get what they want on this board...thx for nothing......
    Show me even one place where anybody ever wanted Jill gone. Go ahead I am waiting.

This is very snarky and way, way beneath you.

I thought you had more class than that.

My bad,

ZagDad

Jill,

Thank you for three (3) wonderful years. You have grown and elevated the program standards by which we will evaluate all future Lady Zags. The joy and entertainment you have brought to us fans will be cherished.

We wish you all the luck in your future endeavors,

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post

If you watch the highlights from the Stanford game last year and then watch almost any of the highlights this year, you can tell there is a big difference in her style of play.

Last year, she was very "free" in her movements and seemed to float across the floor. No hesitation, turnaround 3s, etc came very easily. This year, her play seemed "forced". She seem to hesitate to take many of her open 3s. She seemed to get frustrated when teams would double or triple team her. Her results were up this year but it eemed to take a lot more effort to achieve those results.

You rarely saw Jill smiling on the court this year when she was constantly smiling last year. You are probably right, basketball was no longer fun and so it was time to go home.

Good Luck Jill, thank you,

ZagDad

Best wishes to you Jill. Thanks for everything you brought to the team and Zag Nation. You will be missed and are appreciated. Good luck as a special education teacher if that’s where your journey takes you; as someone who works with children and youth with challenges, I can say that you will be amazed how much of an impact you can make, even if you don’t see it every single day. Thanks for the memories, your time here has been special. #Zaglegend

I think if the shoe fits, wear it...

I heard this LAST November that she might leave so when I come on the board and I read people being unfairly critical of her..."flopping" and "throwing up bricks" and other very belittling talk it upset me, but I wouldn't bring it up that she might be gone....I just let the chatter go on.....

all along I knew about this, or the possibility of it...

her presence will be sorely missed....

I think we can criticize players but some times it crosses the line with the personal attacks on the players...

sylean mentioned this possibility following the Stanford game. Still stunning to me. Best wishes to her in the future.

Nooooo! This makes me very sad. I loved watching Jill and she has been a wonderful representative for Gonzaga. I wish her nothing but the best.

Sylean.

Yes, you broke the news. Congratulations on the the scoop, just wish it was good news and not bad news.

I have been asked to be respectful of you and I have obliged (for now). I am simply go to make a few suggestions that you can choose to ignore as you wish.

so some people will get what they want on this board...thx for nothing....
    To whom do you attribute this desire to? I have asked you to show where anybody wanted this outcome or is this just more Fake News? If you want to attribute a quote to someone, please do so, but have the common decency to provide the substantiation behind such a quote.

2. Remember the kindergarten rule, treat others as you wish to be treated. Makes good sense here. Attack the opinion freely. Personally attack the poster and expect to be treated equally. Just say'in.

I think we can criticize players but some times it crosses the line with the personal attacks on the players..
    . Criticizing a person's play is a long way from criticizing a person. Big difference.

Take Care,

ZagDad

Jill was bigger then CLF and that didn't sit well with her from day one, wish we would have hired a Coach with experience who would of embraced Jill instead of this out come

Hate to see any player not complete what they signed up for. I understand being tired of school and ready to move on with life. But if she decided to continue BB at another university... well that would be sad. The WNBA is a physical game...

Will miss Jill and wish her the best.

I think she will be missing out on a great team and season next year.

Go Zags!!

this is why I hate red shirting...it opens up too many of these problems...I'll take Jill at her word, that she wants to get back to Montana...her life and boyfriend are there...she is a true Montana girl...dirt bike, combine, horses, fishing,etc...

loved watching her play and pretty sad tonite on top of the Zag's men losing..

CLF will have to move quickly....several WSU players are leaving and could possibly be able to step right in.....

Jill was really the lone recruit 4 yrs ago thx to bando going with that coach that will not be named....

so we're left with a big hole...

one thing we will see is if the Jill less yrs will be successful for CLF...

Jill Barta to Forego Senior Season

Barta is eligible and will declare for this year's WNBA Draft

March 22, 2018

SPOKANE, Wash. - Gonzaga redshirt junior forward Jill Barta has decided to forego her senior season and pursue her professional possibilities after graduating with her bachelor’s in special education this May from Gonzaga.

“To all the fans, teammates, coaches, friends, family, and Gonzaga University, thank you,” Barta said. “It’s been a great four years, years that will never be forgotten. I am looking forward to what my future holds for me.”

Barta is eligible and will declare for this year's WNBA Draft. The WNBA has a league provision that allows players to submit their names for consideration in a given draft if the player's 22nd birthday occurs within the calendar year of the same season. A player must make such a declaration at least 10 days prior to the draft, which takes place on April 12th at Nike New York Headquarters in New York City.

“Jill has been a big part of our program and has made tremendous growth on and off the court in her four years here,” Gonzaga head coach Lisa Fortier said. “While we wish she was putting on a Gonzaga uniform next season, we support Jill in her desire to follow her dreams. She will have her degree in hand, and we are thankful for her dedication to the program. She’s a great Zag.”

Beyond basketball, Barta’s degree in special education will allow her to continue to give back to the community and impact many young lives.

Barta has been with the Zags for four seasons after graduating from Fairfield High School in Montana in 2014. She has been part of three West Coast Conference Championships and three trips to the NCAA Tournament. She is the third Zag in program history to be named First Team All-West Coast Conference her first three seasons and this season she was named the WCC Player of the Year, the first Zag to be honored since Taelor Karr in 2013, and the sixth different Zag in history.

Barta is seventh all-time in scoring at Gonzaga at 1,620 points and holds school records in 30-point games with seven and single-game rebounds with 22. She is also third all-time in made free throws with 442.

Gonzaga Article Link

Interesting.

The Spokesman Review article has been updated since it was originally posted with some comments by JB deleted and comments by CLF added.

I should have posted the initial article before it was changed.

The tone of the original article seemed to give some credence to possible issues between CLF and JB as noted by ZagFan14. The updated article not so much.

ZagDad

The article TerpZag posted seems like it's all about entering the WNBA draft. Earlier it sounded more like just being ready to be done w/ school and going back to Montana. That's a very significant difference. There haven't been very many players that went to the WNBA w/ eligibility left, but a few have. Candace Parker and Jewell Loyd are two that I can think of off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    The article TerpZag posted seems like it's all about entering the WNBA draft. Earlier it sounded more like just being ready to be done w/ school and going back to Montana. That's a very significant difference. There haven't been very many players that went to the WNBA w/ eligibility left, but a few have. Candace Parker and Jewell Loyd are two that I can think of off the top of my head.
    In all honesty, as good as Jill is, she most certainly is not Candace Parker or Jewell Lloyd.

I would be surprised if any WNBA team drafted her. I would expect she would get offered a training camp contract like Shelby Cheslek did. I don't think she is good enough to stick in the WNBA but she is plenty good enough to make a decent living playing overseas if that is what she wants to do.

ZagDad

Sad. I had heard this was true prior to wcc tournament but hoped that it was inaccurate. I was at the tourney and watched for signs of a riff, could not detect it from her face or body language. I think jb handled it professionally. Still sad.

We as fans are perhaps saddened, but it isn't really about us, is it?!

Jill dedicated 4 years of her life to GU basketball in exchange for a college degree. That's the deal and it is a tough one for the student athlete. For us to think we deserve an extra year is pure selfishness on our part.

Thank you Jill! Keep making life decisions that honor your commitments, embrace your family and community, and put you in the best place to be happy. Be the best special ed teacher you can be!

Makes me wonder if she might be thinking of being a grad transfer somewhere.

I knew of this possibility from an extended family member way back in November....JB seemed to be happier this year and seemed very enthused and team oriented...but if she had her mind made up, she had it made up....

I wish she would have stayed...she'd have all the Zag records...we'd be a real force in the WCC/MWC....

she's been a great player for us...

next year is not going to be a good one unless the coaches come up with some grad transfers immediately....Louise Brown is 6'3" from WSU and I think she would be able to play right away...Nike McLure is leaving WSU too but not sure if she could play right away....

want to add that I hope we stay in the WCC but even if we do, we have to stop recruiting for WCC play...we must keep elevating our roster to compete with the MWC and others...we're going in the right direction but we've had some setbacks...McClard not coming/Grace leaving for unknown reasons and JB leaving early...losing Emma W threw a big wrench in the works too...losing our prime pg to oregon.....
    Last edited by sylean; 03-23-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Lou Brown is a decent player, not even remotely close to Barta's caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    In all honesty, as good as Jill is, she most certainly is not Candace Parker or Jewell Lloyd.

I would be surprised if any WNBA team drafted her. I would expect she would get offered a training camp contract like Shelby Cheslek did. I don't think she is good enough to stick in the WNBA but she is plenty good enough to make a decent living playing overseas if that is what she wants to do.

ZagDad
    Of course she's not as good as Parker, very few are. I would be shocked if she wasn't drafted though. There are 3 rounds. Although 2nd and 3rd rounders rarely make rosters. All about finding a niche with the right team. Bowman and Standish were really good players that didn't stick in the WNBA. Katelan Redmon hung around for several years. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    losing our prime pg to oregon.....
    I'm assuming you are referring to Bando. She's not a PG even slightly at UO. Mostly a spot up 3 point shooter. At this point I think losing all of those bigs you listed has had a much bigger impact on GU than Bando choosing to go to Oregon to play for Coach Graves.