• Feb 2007

Like a new captain on the Titanic.

Comment

• thebigsmoove
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
      I guess its better than being the commissioner of the WAC. That place is about to implode.

Comment

• RenoZag
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Has previous WCC admin experience, FWIW. UMASS undergrad, Berkeley Law School
        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thebigsmoove View Post
          I guess its better than being the commissioner of the WAC. That place is about to implode.
          Andrea Doria v Titanic? Same old....

Comment

• thebigsmoove
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

Andrea Doria v Titanic? Same old....
            If she somehow convinces Gonzaga and BYU to stick around, while also getting other members to buy into facility and program improvement i will be amazed.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

She got on one of the last lifeboats leaving the Pac 12 Titanic, only to discover the lifeboat has no oars and the seals are leaking.

I saw nothing in her resume and experience that any fan of the WCC should be excited about.

Let's put it another way: why would anyone want to hire someone from the Pac 12?

I don't follow Larry Stone of the Seattle Times, but this article is worth a read:

On the heels of the worst bowl showing ever for a major conference — a 1-8 record — the Pac-12 has just turned in the worst NCAA basketball performance for any Power Six league in the modern era with an...

If this is the main qualification on her resume,

Nevarez had been the senior associate commissioner at the Pac-12 since 2010. She oversaw all sport championships except for football and she was also the PAC-12 liaison for basketball.
              consider me not convinced...she's been there for 8 years, and the conference has only gotten worse...and she's going to negotiate the next TV contract, with or without Gonzaga?

Comment

• Zagdawg
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

On a positive (?) note she comes from the Pac 12 --(maybe be able to ink a WCC vs Pac yearly challenge--since a good number of the schools already play each other --it should be pretty easy to get done) -- but it sounds like she was in a position that was to be downsized/eliminated-- so how long does she stick around before she finds the next step in her career?

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Experience as a Compliance Officer? Bang up job there, Gloria!!! lol
                  Last edited by RenoZag; 03-19-2018, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                    On a positive (?) note she comes from the Pac 12 --(maybe be able to ink a WCC vs Pac yearly challenge--since a good number of the schools already play each other --it should be pretty easy to get done) -- but it sounds like she was in a position that was to be downsized/eliminated-- so how long does she stick around before she finds the next step in her career?
                    The Pac 12 commissioner is paid $4 million a year? Wow. No doubt Gloria's taking a pay cut, unless she can convince the Zags and BYU to hang around.

That's another problem with college sports today, too much bureaucracy, spending way too much money on administrators.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                      Hoover of Animal House couldn't have been more positive...lol.

Not calling you Hoover, Zagdawg...far from it.

Comment

• thebigsmoove
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                        ...consider me not convinced...she's been there for 8 years, and the conference has only gotten worse...and she's going to negotiate the next TV contract, with or without Gonzaga?
                        Without.

Comment

• PCZ_Frites
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Nov 2017

Experience as a Compliance Officer? Bang up job there, Gloria!!! lol
                          Wait, why are you making fun of experience as a Compliance Officer? Unrelated to this hire, Gonzaga's own Shannon Strahl is a career Compliance Officer, and I would guess she'd make a fine conference commissioner if she ever decided to do something like that. She was my favorite person in the athletic department during my time at GU.

I wonder who the other candidates were, and whether or not this was the second, third, or fourth choice. Does anyone know the other candidates?

Comment

• thebigsmoove
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by PCZ_Frites View Post
                            Wait, why are you making fun of experience as a Compliance Officer? Unrelated to this hire, Gonzaga's own Shannon Strahl is a career Compliance Officer, and I would guess she'd make a fine conference commissioner if she ever decided to do something like that. She was my favorite person in the athletic department during my time at GU.

I wonder who the other candidates were, and whether or not this was the second, third, or fourth choice. Does anyone know the other candidates?
                            Because of Arizona? You been living under a rock? lol

Comment

• thebigsmoove
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

I don't follow Larry Stone of the Seattle Times, but this article is worth a read:

On the heels of the worst bowl showing ever for a major conference — a 1-8 record — the Pac-12 has just turned in the worst NCAA basketball performance for any Power Six league in the modern era with an...
                              I wonder if we could parlay our interest from the MWC into an invite to the PAC 12 for all sports except football? I wonder if their tune would change because of how abysmal they are at basketball now?

Comment

Working...
                              X