X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seacatfan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2014

Oregon's offense is a thing of beauty, too. Spacing, ball movement. Can score from just about everywhere and most of them can hit the 3 or drive. Tough to defend.

Comment

• ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2016

82-50 end 3rd quarter game over. Bench will hold up score no let down. Congrats to Ducks and Kelly Graves making sweet sixteen in Spokane Regional good luck the rest of the way.

Comment

• sylean
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2010

Graves called another university "losers" and he referred to the Nascar fans in Vegas as "idiots" or "losers" I forget which...he is not a nice man....one former player has said that the team was united against Graves, not for him...

he recruited FIVE pgs all the same size for one class and managed to steal the best one, imagine that...I'm sure it wasn't a planned deal...he would have taken JB if he could...

he left one entire class bare...

now how the heck is that being an nice coach one that we should root for?...he did a job on our team that's for sure...

he's already got one NCAA violation against him I'm sure if they look they'll find a few more....

nope, he is not a coach that I respect let alone root for...

Comment

• seacatfan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2014

There's the bitterness.

Comment

• ZagDad84
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2014

Sylean, we all know your opinion on KG, so I won't argue with anything you say about KG with the exception of the following:

"he left one entire class bare..." The recruiting for this class was done long, long before the Oregon job was ever open and long before KG accepted the job. He would have had to play with the same class that CLF was left with although yes he would have had Bando but that is the only difference.

Remember he left CLF with a team that made it to the sweet 16 and would have been the elite 8 if CLF had not had the team run the clock. I would not say that the team he left CLF was exactly "The Children of the Poor".

Also, while the head coach directs the recruiting, the vast majority of the actual recruiting is done by the assistant coaches. Recruiting begins several years in advance of when the kids actually sign their letters of intent. So if you want to blame KG for the "lost" recruiting class, make sure you give him some credit for not only CLF's first recruiting class but also for her second recruiting class.

You can't have it both ways. If you going to give him the blame, you have to give him at least some of the credit as well.

ZagDad

Comment

• ZagDad84
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2014

Sylean,

You have all this dislike(??) for KG, did you display all of this bitterness, before he left?

When did this occur ".one former player has said that the team was united against Graves, not for him..."? Obviously had to occur before he left the Zags, but did you mention it before he left?

Also this statement "he referred to the Nascar fans in Vegas as "idiots" or "losers" I forget which" also had to be made during the WCC tournament (that is when the Spring Nascar race occurs) so he obviously made this statement before he left. Did you bring this up before KG left Gonzaga?

Did they only matter when KG left?

You are more than welcome to your opinion, but if you keep attributing actions or statements to KG that occurred before he left, why do they only seem to matter now?

Just say'in it seems like a bunch of sour grapes to me.

ZagDad

Comment

• ZagDad84
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2014

Ducks win and join Notre Dame and Texas A&M in Spokane.

Ohio State plays Central Michigan tomorrow to determine the 4th team to play in Spokane.

Oregon wins 101-73
                Notre Dame wins 98-72
                Texas A&M wins 80-79

Looks like a lot of offense is going to be on display in Spokane next weekend.

ZagDad

Comment

• seacatfan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2014

From what I've seen of interviews and in the locker room footage, Graves' players at Oregon absolutely love him. They are united, but it sure isn't in dislike of their coach. I can't speak for what happened in years gone by at Gonzaga, but I have a hard time believing his players had such negative feelings toward him.

I do know this--Graves put GU women's basketball on the map. Fortier wouldn't have had much of a program to take over if it wasn't for KG, she would've been building from scratch.

Comment

• sittingon50
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

So, does Graves call & ask if he can use K2?

Not sure how far the hard feelings extend.
                    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• ZagDad84
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                      I do know this--Graves put GU women's basketball on the map. Fortier wouldn't have had much of a program to take over if it wasn't for KG, she would've been building from scratch.
                      Remember that it was KG who hired CLF to be an assistant coach. Without KG, there is no CLF as the head coach of the Lady Zags.

ZagDad

Comment

• tummydoc
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2013

Kelly is the reason lady zags have a following. Great guy when he lived in Spokane. Could not ask for a more engaging spokesman for the program. His house at Halloween was legend in the neighborhood. He left in his early 50s to secure his retirement, God bless him. Go Ducks and coach graves.

Comment

• ZagDad84
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by tummydoc View Post
                          Kelly is the reason lady zags have a following. Great guy when he lived in Spokane. Could not ask for a more engaging spokesman for the program. His house at Halloween was legend in the neighborhood. He left in his early 50s to secure his retirement, God bless him. Go Ducks and coach graves.
                          +1

ZagDad

Comment

• ZagDad84
                            Zag for Life
                            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                            That step back 3 from DEEP just before the half was filthy.

I've waivered back and forth some during the season, but yeah Ionescu might be the best player in the country.
                            Did you see the game the ESPNW Freshman of the Year, Chennedy Carter from Texas A&M had?

She ended up with 37 points (32 in the 2nd half) on 7-9 from 3 pt range including the game winning 3 with 3.2 seconds left.

It is going to be fun in the Arena next weekend.

ZagDad

Comment

• seacatfan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ZagDad84 View Post
                              Did you see the game the ESPNW Freshman of the Year, Chennedy Carter from Texas A&M had?

She ended up with 37 points (32 in the 2nd half) on 7-9 from 3 pt range including the game winning 3 with 3.2 seconds left.

It is going to be fun in the Arena next weekend.

ZagDad
                              ESPN was following a different game. They switched just in time for that game winner. I saw a few highlights. Ohio St. playing today looking to become the 4th team to go to Spokane.

Definitely should be fun.

Comment

• seacatfan
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2014

Ohio St. was up early, but Central Michigan has a 7 point lead approaching halftime. Maybe there will be 1 surprise visitor to Spokane...

Comment

Working...
                                X