Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you Silas Melson!

Default Thank you Silas Melson!

Turning point of the game to me was at 9:47 remaining in game. We looked bad, we were down by 4 points Osu has the ball and could go ahead by 6 points on that possession. Ohio State is forced to call timeout to avoid a five second call and Kam Williams flips some trash talk at Melson & Silas responds in a way to let OSU know = “don’t mess with me or us”. They both get Technical fouls. No harm to us. Silas had 2 choices = 1.) to let kam Williams walk away to the osu huddle feeling like “yeah screw Gonzaga, these guys are backing down we are gonna finish them off now.” 2.) stand up to Williams and not back down and let williams and osu know as they go into there huddle that GU is not backing down and by the way screw you OSU we will be ready for you after this timeout and when you break your huddle we’re coming for ya. Silas chose option #2. I loved it. Sure enough we come out of the timeout and we force a turnover on the inbound pass under the basket. Perkins comes down the court and hits a basket. Next possession Tillie gets a steal to cause a turnover on osu, we get a fast break the other way, norvell misses a tough layup but in the process Silas SPRINTED from the opposite baseline right past kam williams as kam williams is in the refs face demonstratively motioning for a reach in foul on Tillie on the steal. Kam williams is late getting up court and Silas beats him to the rim and Silas gets a ridiculous left handed tip in put back to TIE THE GAME BACK UP. Huge sequence. In 38 seconds we went from on the brink of falling behind by 6 points to instead being tied back up with a chance to let OSU know we were not going away without a fight till the very end. Of course we all know the rest of the story. Very proud of the Zags willingness to stand up to the bully.

I think many will be surprised how
    Much he will be missed
    Once we are done this year

All the little stuff
    Exceptional defender

Not sure who will take these two key critical team engagement next year
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I love the tenacity of this team. The toughness is not unnoticed. Ohio State noted it when we beat them last November so they came in ready to push us around. They failed. Zags can play “tough” basketball with anyone.

GO ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    I love the tenacity of this team. The toughness is not unnoticed. Ohio State noted it when we beat them last November so they came in ready to push us around. They failed. Zags can play “tough” basketball with anyone.

GO ZAGS
    100%. We can ball.
    Love the zags for life

Game got chippy with some trash talking back and forth. Seemed to motivate Silas, Perkins and Norvell who each responded after their respective encounters

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Much he will be missed

All the little stuff
    Exceptional defender

Hopefully a couple of the posters who continuously criticize him will walk on next year to take his minutes.

Demian,
    This needs to stay on page one.....loved that tip! Just wow to that win and what a tournament year.

Nothing surprises me about Silas. Winner! I love the guy.

I cannot count the number of times this year when the team had gone cold and Silas was the one who made a play that turned momentum. He just seems to always be there when you need someone to step up (well, we will forget a couple trips to the free throw line). We will miss him very much.

Where does Melson rank all time in wins for both the Zags and nationally? I know that he kinda got hosed his freshman year having started out as a redshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Much he will be missed

All the little stuff
    Exceptional defender

Agreed. Dirty work. Glue guy. On-ball defender. Smart player.

I have high expectations for him going forward, and fully believe he can make the leap. We will need athletic presence vs FSU. Silas might need to break down the defense a few times, take it to the hole, get rebounds, etc.

We will need him to stop transition as well.

Good post Demian. Senior leadership can not be overstated. Silas Melson is all about Demian's kind of player. For these guys it's all about TEAM FIRST. And Silas always does seem to find a way to help the team win. His defense down the stretch yesterday was "all out, 100." and the team followed his lead.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    Where does Melson rank all time in wins for both the Zags and nationally? I know that he kinda got hosed his freshman year having started out as a redshirt.
    For GU, he's #2 behind Mt. K. for career wins.

#2 all time is Shane Battier with 131.

That's as much as I know.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Quote Originally Posted by 509fan View Post
    Demian,
    This needs to stay on page one.....loved that tip! Just wow to that win and what a tournament year.
    Great idea 509fan, I will comment now to keep this on page 1

Default Silas Melson

One of my all time favorites.

Four straight Sweet Sixteens. Can Gonzaga say that without him? I think not. Keep it coming, Silas, we ain’t done yet!
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Silas has been the ultimate “team” guy. Have every confidence he will finish strong as the tournament continues. His maturity and work ethic, coupled with his quiet leadership will assure his success in whatever path he chooses for his future. Will miss him enormously.

Go Silas — bring this team home with pride. Thanks for all you have given, and suspect many, many fans join me in having followed your growth into a remarkable man.

Silas rocks! I wanna keep seeing him playing so he'd better keep winning
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Thanks Silas, give us a coupe more good weeks.

Loved that moment in the game -- don't back down, don't take any s**t, and show some Zag attitude. Similar to a coach taking a T for the team to motivate, only more effective. Si has been our true leader all year. He is our silent assassin.

Go Zags - Beat the Noles!!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

My wife's favorite Zag, hands down. Might be mine, too, if I had to pick a fave. I love his grit and his solid, calming presence. And, as someone noted, great beard, too! An all-around cool guy.

Battier didn’t play in two games in the 1998-99 season so he ended his career with 131 wins. Karno is #1 all time with 132 (or 133?) wins. Karno is #1 all time in my book.

We're going to Silas for more reasons than we can know right now. His defense is peerless. As you all know, I think a good defender saves us 10 pts per game. A superior defensive weapon like Silas locks up the other teams offense.
    Beyond that though, what a superior person. Fluent, mannered and represents GU very well. Team guy. Not sure what happened to his deadeye shooting but he's contributed in multiple ways. Well miss this kid.

I am always amazed at how high he jumps. He has grabbed some rebounds for us where he is just skying up there with the big boys.

Quote Originally Posted by kylasdad View Post
    I am always amazed at how high he jumps. He has grabbed some rebounds for us where he is just skying up there with the big boys.
    I agree, his rebounds are fun to watch cuz he out jumps people. He is so explosive and quick off the floor.

I'd like to see one or two Perk to Silas lobs and slams in transition against FSU. When he did that in the WCC tourney I jumped super high out of the couch.
    GO ZAGS!!!