• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • demian
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2007

Thank you Silas Melson!

Turning point of the game to me was at 9:47 remaining in game. We looked bad, we were down by 4 points Osu has the ball and could go ahead by 6 points on that possession. Ohio State is forced to call timeout to avoid a five second call and Kam Williams flips some trash talk at Melson & Silas responds in a way to let OSU know = “don’t mess with me or us”. They both get Technical fouls. No harm to us. Silas had 2 choices = 1.) to let kam Williams walk away to the osu huddle feeling like “yeah screw Gonzaga, these guys are backing down we are gonna finish them off now.” 2.) stand up to Williams and not back down and let williams and osu know as they go into there huddle that GU is not backing down and by the way screw you OSU we will be ready for you after this timeout and when you break your huddle we’re coming for ya. Silas chose option #2. I loved it. Sure enough we come out of the timeout and we force a turnover on the inbound pass under the basket. Perkins comes down the court and hits a basket. Next possession Tillie gets a steal to cause a turnover on osu, we get a fast break the other way, norvell misses a tough layup but in the process Silas SPRINTED from the opposite baseline right past kam williams as kam williams is in the refs face demonstratively motioning for a reach in foul on Tillie on the steal. Kam williams is late getting up court and Silas beats him to the rim and Silas gets a ridiculous left handed tip in put back to TIE THE GAME BACK UP. Huge sequence. In 38 seconds we went from on the brink of falling behind by 6 points to instead being tied back up with a chance to let OSU know we were not going away without a fight till the very end. Of course we all know the rest of the story. Very proud of the Zags willingness to stand up to the bully.
  • Hoopaholic
    • Mar 2008

I think many will be surprised how
    Much he will be missed
    Once we are done this year

All the little stuff
    Exceptional defender

Not sure who will take these two key critical team engagement next year
    The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• Zag_Dad
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2013

I love the tenacity of this team. The toughness is not unnoticed. Ohio State noted it when we beat them last November so they came in ready to push us around. They failed. Zags can play “tough” basketball with anyone.

GO ZAGS

Comment

• Zags11
        Banned
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Zag_Dad View Post
        I love the tenacity of this team. The toughness is not unnoticed. Ohio State noted it when we beat them last November so they came in ready to push us around. They failed. Zags can play “tough” basketball with anyone.

GO ZAGS
        100%. We can ball.

Comment

• zagzilla
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Game got chippy with some trash talking back and forth. Seemed to motivate Silas, Perkins and Norvell who each responded after their respective encounters

ZZ

Comment

• MJ777
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
            Much he will be missed

All the little stuff
            Exceptional defender

Hopefully a couple of the posters who continuously criticize him will walk on next year to take his minutes.

Comment

• 509fan
              Redshirt
              • May 2014

Demian,
              This needs to stay on page one.....loved that tip! Just wow to that win and what a tournament year.

Comment

• rawkmandale
                Banned
                • Feb 2007

Nothing surprises me about Silas. Winner! I love the guy.

Comment

• tyra
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I cannot count the number of times this year when the team had gone cold and Silas was the one who made a play that turned momentum. He just seems to always be there when you need someone to step up (well, we will forget a couple trips to the free throw line). We will miss him very much.

Comment

• zagamatic
                    Zag for Life
                    • Aug 2009

Where does Melson rank all time in wins for both the Zags and nationally? I know that he kinda got hosed his freshman year having started out as a redshirt.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                      Much he will be missed

All the little stuff
                      Exceptional defender

Agreed. Dirty work. Glue guy. On-ball defender. Smart player.

I have high expectations for him going forward, and fully believe he can make the leap. We will need athletic presence vs FSU. Silas might need to break down the defense a few times, take it to the hole, get rebounds, etc.

We will need him to stop transition as well.

Comment

• Reborn
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2007

Good post Demian. Senior leadership can not be overstated. Silas Melson is all about Demian's kind of player. For these guys it's all about TEAM FIRST. And Silas always does seem to find a way to help the team win. His defense down the stretch yesterday was "all out, 100." and the team followed his lead.

Go Zags!!!
                        Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Once and Future Zag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by zagamatic View Post
                          Where does Melson rank all time in wins for both the Zags and nationally? I know that he kinda got hosed his freshman year having started out as a redshirt.
                          For GU, he's #2 behind Mt. K. for career wins.

#2 all time is Shane Battier with 131.

That's as much as I know.
                          History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

• demian
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 509fan View Post
                            Demian,
                            This needs to stay on page one.....loved that tip! Just wow to that win and what a tournament year.
                            Great idea 509fan, I will comment now to keep this on page 1

Comment

• NotoriousZ
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2008

Silas Melson

One of my all time favorites.

Four straight Sweet Sixteens. Can Gonzaga say that without him? I think not. Keep it coming, Silas, we ain’t done yet!
                              It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

Working...
                              X