• Xavier

24 51.06%
  • Florida State U

23 48.94%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next opponent, Xavier or FSU?

Default Next opponent, Xavier or FSU?

Do you care which one?
    Right now 538 has Gonzaga favored over both of them. If Xavier wins, do you think Vegas will favor the Zags also?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...espn:frontpage

I want to wear white!

Be honest, X a better team. Prefer FSU.

Es macht nichts.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Be honest, X a better team. Prefer FSU.
    Agree completely. The white unis would be a sign that FSU won.

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

I like that it's a rematch from last year with Florida State possibly playing the spoiler role. Anyone else smell an upset?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

No doubt X better team overall, better profile, better resume, yet...

I feel Xavier is the better match-up from top to bottom, as every time I watched FSU play this season -- I came away impressed. No one has more of an "airport team" than them.

They have 5 players over 6'9" who over average 12+ mins. They even have a 7'4" dude in the mix.

the ONLY team who legitimately goes/plays 10 deep as well. 8 players average over 7ppg (and the 9th is at 6.5 ppg) Only Gonzaga matches that type of balance. The deepest statistical team in NCAA. I watched the Seminoles beat Florida by 20 just a few days after we played them, and then watched them beat UNC shortly after.

their best overall player, Terance Mann was injured vs Mizzou. He isn't expected to play tomorrow vs X. He averaged 13 ppg, 6 rpg, 3 apg, & shoots 56% FG. BIG TIME LOSS for them.

I picked Xavier to win, yet if FSU had Mann, I could see this being close...

i got FSU in my brackets

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Do you care which one?
    Right now 538 has Gonzaga favored over both of them. If Xavier wins, do you think Vegas will favor the Zags also?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...espn:frontpage

I want to wear white!
    Add a poll, I'd be curious to see who people prefer. Personally, I'd rather face FSU, they're athletic, but dumb.

poll added

538 says GU 60% to reach E8, X 31%, FSU 9%. No-brainer.

Would much rather face FSU, but a lot of folks are picking GU over Xavier in their brackets because as strong as their offense is, XU's defense is poor. You can score on them. But no doubt, XU is the better team with more talent on offense, and we cannot emphasize enough the "revenge" factor. GU not only knocked them out of the final 4 last season, they humiliated them. They want a piece of the Zags. Give me FSU please.

kenpom.com:

XU ranking: #14
    XU offensive efficiency: #7
    XU defensive efficiency: #60

FSU ranking: #32
    FSU offensive efficiency: #32
    FSU defensive efficiency: #59

Gonzaga ranking: #6
    Gonzaga offensive efficiency: #13
    Gonzaga defensive efficiency: #15

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Add a poll, I'd be curious to see who people prefer. Personally, I'd rather face FSU, they're athletic, but dumb.
    Athletic but dumb?
    Love the zags for life

FSU simply due to them being technically worse, the athleticism is crazy but worse is worse... Though I like the matchup with Xavier too.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    XU ranking: #14
    XU offensive efficiency: #7
    XU defensive efficiency: #60
    I know a WCC team with sorta similar numbers. They, sadly, didn't even make the tournament. Somebody remind me again why X is a top seed?
    Our only loss to Xavier was 57 years ago. JFK was president. Four wins since 2006. Fewie is undefeated.

Unrelated, did you know there was a tournament called "Shootout Spokane"? Yale University came in 1992 and lost by 11. Who knew?

If you asked me that one of Led Zeppelin's first U.S. concerts was at Kennedy Pavillion and went on for hours as a warmup band, I'd say you were just a little bit crazy.

FSU might be an easier game, but I would love to see GU knock Xavier out of the tournament yet again.

Default X or the ‘Noles?

Xavier and FSU get a rematch from last year’s second round. Wonder why the committee couldn’t shake things up a little more.

Who do you want?
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Hey Kitz, see thread here:

Next opponent, Xavier or FSU?

although, its a poll thread, which I'm never a fan of, personally. They get lost easily in the fray.

X - sometimes you have a teams' number and it gets in their head. GU has won four straight against Xavier. The tourney is always about match ups and how you play against particular teams. I like this match up. And X fans aren't particularly happy about having to go out west to play GU.

Xavier is a tremendous offensive team this season. They have added 2 really good Freshman since last season.

They score, shoot the heck outta the ball, and have a balanced attack. They play inside-out, and have Bluitt to score when needed.

A fearful offense to contain.

Their defense isn't amazing, but not bad given their Big East affiliation filled with offensive-minded teams.

They have scoring bigs, HUGE guards: their PG is 6'6", SG 6'6", and their back-up is 6'5".

While FSU's length, and 5 dudes over 6'9" who actually play would bother us, I'd much rather play them. X is hungry city USA. They have yet to make a Final 4, and their history/tradition is much like ours...

I think they beat the Seminoles by 20+ pts today though, so point is moot.

But yes, an undisciplined team like FSU is easier to manager than a well coached, well oiled machine on offense. Giant guards, legit bigs, and just due to make their first F4.

They are #12 and #13 nationally in average effective height. And on KenPom FSU has 2 guys (not 5) listed taller than 6'8" and their own team page has 3 guys 6'9" and taller listed.

And just as an aside, GU is 14th in average effective height.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    I know a WCC team with sorta similar numbers. They, sadly, didn't even make the tournament. Somebody remind me again why X is a top seed?
    Our only loss to Xavier was 57 years ago. JFK was president. Four wins since 2006. Fewie is undefeated.

Unrelated, did you know there was a tournament called "Shootout Spokane"? Yale University came in 1992 and lost by 11. Who knew?

If you asked me that one of Led Zeppelin's first U.S. concerts was at Kennedy Pavillion and went on for hours as a warmup band, I'd say you were just a little bit crazy.
    You mean "Len Zenflin"

Xavier traveled well to San Jose last year..member Bill Murray front row...sons a coach

FSU probably wouldn't travel as well to Staples

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Hey Kitz, see thread here:

Next opponent, Xavier or FSU?

although, its a poll thread, which I'm never a fan of, personally. They get lost easily in the fray.
    Missed it. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Zags have never beat a 1 seed in the tournament. I’d like to see that happen this year. Xavier is good..... so are the Zags. There are no easy wins once you get to the Sweet 16 but I believe the Zags are ready. Zags havent played our best basketball yet in the tournament but each game they are getting better.

GO ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    And on KenPom FSU has 2 guys (not 5) listed taller than 6'8"
    Florida St roster w/heights

I count 7 guys listed over 6'8", although they only play (4) of them legit minutes, a 5th spot minutes.

Both 7' foot guys get 10+ mpg, the next 6'9" guy gets 25 mpg, & 6'8" around 15 mpg.

Definitely a big team.

however, they just lost their most effective player to injury in their opener. Hurts their chances either way vs X.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Florida St roster w/heights

I count 7 guys listed over 6'8", although they only play (4) of them legit minutes, a 5th spot minutes.

Both 7' foot guys get 10+ mpg, the next 6'9" guy gets 25 mpg, & 6'8" around 15 mpg.

Definitely a big team.

however, they just lost their most effective player to injury in their opener. Hurts their chances either way vs X.
    That link literally shows three guys OVER 6’8”.