Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 81

Thread: POST GAME ZAGS vs UNCG

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,783

    Default

    Honestly? The Zags played their worst game of the year, imo. Maybe second worse because their loss to SDSU was probably the worst. I really couldn't believe how poorly some guys plays. One of them was a senior, but I've seen him play this way too much this year, both offensively and defensively. Tillie was the other, and of course we all have seen him play this poorly before. He looked to me like he didn't know how to play. He looked soooooo scared. I mean really scared. And Rui was equally afraid. I couldn't believe all the missed free throws at the end.Worst foul shooting in a game in the NCAA tournament EVER. I prayed a lot in the last few minutes because i KNEW THE Zags couldn't do it on their own.

    Great shot by Norvell, but he was not the player of the game. His ice cold shooting for most of the game kept UNCG in the game. I did enjoy watching JW3 an Perkins play. They proved their leadership. Both played GREAT. Perkins really came through at the end. Williams played great the whole game, but his foul shooting was pathetic.

    The good news is we won. That's all that's important now. It's over and we move on and hope for better things Saturday. Usually when we play this bad we do play much better the next night, so I'm optimistic.

    I felt the Zags should have tried a zone because UNCG's were penetrating and hurting us. Our bigs couldn't guard their guards. One other good point is we did close the game down quite well, which the Zags have been doing. I think all of the close games in conference helped them at the end tonight. Way to go Zags! I'm feeling better, but I sure hope we play better Saturday.

    Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    48,959

    Default

    Associated Press Recap: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401025840

    The shooting guard from Chicago hit the go-ahead 3-pointer with 20.8 seconds left Thursday to help the fourth-seeded Bulldogs escape a major scare in the West Region with a 68-64 victory over UNC Greensboro.

    "He has a knack for that," coach Mark Few said. "When I saw him size the guy up, I knew that, A, he was probably going to shoot it, and, B, it was probably going to go in."
    Gonzaga, in its 20th straight NCAA tournament, won its first game of March Madness for the 10th straight year, though that's not the mission anymore for the Zags. They came into the tournament playing well enough to make another run at the Final Four.


    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

    “They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    I always dread when the Zags play these defense-minded teams. Last year's games against South Carolina and West Virginia were tense... At least they found a way to win. Good to see the freshmen Kispert and Norvell not look too awed by the occasion, and I hope Rui, Tillie and Melson got their jitters out of the way.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,861

    Default

    This game had all of the elements of an upset

    Both team coming off layoffs
    NCG = veteran squad with a lot of wins and confidence
    NCG making some improbable shots
    GU missing a lot of bunnies near the rim
    GU 12 missed free throws
    GU veterans playing below form-Tillie and Rui
    NCG with a late lead and believing they could win


    Despite that, our guards hit just enough shots and NCG made some poor decisions down the stretch (the alley oop attempt?) so that we escaped. Survive and advance.

    However, we better figure out how to stop dribble penetration because that is how Troy and Alonso did their damage. Hats off to NCG for having a solid game plan and imposing their will on the game to give themselves a chance to win. Good squad. Respect

    ZZ

    ZZ

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,084

    Default

    That coach is sure to be making an appearance at a power 5 conference near you in the not too distant future.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    That coach is sure to be making an appearance at a power 5 conference near you in the not too distant future.
    Is he old enough to drive?

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    IMO Josh jumper was more important because we were behind and in melt down mode @ the 51 sec mark in the game.
    Yes. Norvelle's shot is the one that will be remembered, but this one was just as big if not bigger.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Is he old enough to drive?
    They will arrange for him to have a driver, a student trainer.

    Did you not find him to be in control of his team, game planned well for us, poised? I liked that he even smiled at the most bone-headed play of the game, the alley-oop that didn't work. He could have had his head explode, but less than a minute remained and his team was tied, a smile allows the kids to focus on winning, not coach being angry.

    If I were an AD in a power 5 conference, looking to make changes, I might very well want to talk to that young man.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    6,230

    Default

    Ugly game. Ugly as hell. The zags admitted they were tight. ZN Jr hit a huge 3 right after a huge bucket from Perkins.

    Honestly Tillie disappears too much for my liking. He is either 20+ or MIA. Thank goodness for JW3 and Perkins or we would of been upset.

    I thought this game would be really tough. I actually think we beat OSU by more. Matchups are matchups. The zags played tight and couldn't hit shots and thankfully neither could uncg.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    6,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    IMO Josh jumper was more important because we were behind and in melt down mode @ the 51 sec mark in the game.
    Huge shot that many will overlook due to Zn dagger.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,522

    Default

    First of all, we cannot measure this game as though Gonzaga were even a 3 seed. They were a four seed facing a team that was universally declared the toughest 13 seed of the bunch. A team that won 27 games, and was less than a percentage point of being a part of 801 club: teams that win 80.1% or more of their games during the regular season have demonstrated over the past 20 years of the NCAA tourney to play to their seed, and most of the time, exceed it.

    Gonzaga doesn't like playing grinder games vs. defensive oriented teams. I repeat, the Gonzaga Bulldogs do not like playing grinder games vs. defensive oriented teams. As one poster aptly put it, UNC-Greensboro was like San Diego on steroids. Gonzaga actually struggled more against USD than either BYU or SMC this year on whole.

    I felt Greensboro's coach did brilliant move of throwing in token full court pressure the entire game. Not only because GU has a propensity for turning the ball over, but also because it lessened the shot clock and gave Greenboro's excellent defense even more energy.

    I felt all along this would be around a 9 point win. I was not shocked in anyway, shape or form that they challenged the Zags. The Zags hate playing teams like this and have for years. It's why I would rather play Duke more than Virginia, even though Duke has way more NBA guys.

    So much went wrong for the Zags today:

    Tillie = 2 pts. on 1-6 shooting, only 4 boards
    Hachimura = 4 pts. on 1-6 shooting
    Norvell = 15 pts. but on only 3-12 shooting
    Gonzaga from 3 pt. territory: 5-23 (21.7%)
    Gonzaga's shooting overall = 42.4%
    Gonzaga's foul shooting = 13-25 (52%)
    Rebounding: Greensboro beat GU by 4 on the glass, and also beat GU on the offensive glass

    That's an upset right there, and despite all of it, GU came out with a 4 point win. Thank goodness for Perkins' clutch pull back jumper w/ under a minute (just as important as the Norvell shot, and maybe even more important - imagine if he had missed it!). Then Norvell. The greatest killing scoring instinct of any Zag since Adam Morrison. A kid who is just dying to assume leadership of this team in the future. A kid who wants the big shot. He was not all that good today, but he came through today in the big moment. That last 3 pointer was in the total flow of the offense. They have just got to stop him from taking 3 pointers early on in the shot clock when GU is running their halfcourt offense.

    Yes, the Zags probably should've won this game by 12 or something (they were never going to win by 30 against a grinder team as good as Greensboro). Survive and advance. Unlike maybe some other folk, I am glad OSU won. No more non-BCS teams trying to spring an upset. The Zags will not have to play a grinder opponent. I saw a video last night of a local Columbus college basketball analyst who said he doesn't give the Buckeyes much of a chance to beat the Zags. The reason: OSU is a much better team than back in Portland, but it's a bad matchup. Apparently one of OSU's key players put his face in his hands when he saw that Gonzaga was in their bracket. The Buckeyes remember that game. They remember the 27 point blow out. I expect a much better game, but I just cannot see Gonzaga playing as badly as they did today. They did just about everything to lose.

    I hope and pray to God they do not give us the 9:15am tip off on CBS on Saturday that goes to the whole nation. Maybe the 27 point win in November will discourage CBS from doing thing this. But it just has all the makings of a game that would be shown at 9:15am. A huge Big-10 university vs. the best team from a non-BCS league.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,840

    Default

    JWIII, Perkins, Kispert & a clutch shot by Norvell allowed Zags to squeak by. Now Tillie, Melson & Rui need to play like men and help this team advance. Sorry but Tillie played like the stereotypical soft Euro big, literally and mentally. If he thinks he’s ready to move on to the professional ranks, he needs to prove it Saturday.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

  13. #63
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    First of all, we cannot measure this game as though Gonzaga were even a 3 seed. They were a four seed facing a team that was universally declared the toughest 13 seed of the bunch. A team that won 27 games, and was less than a percentage point of being a part of 801 club: teams that win 80.1% or more of their games during the regular season have demonstrated over the past 20 years of the NCAA tourney to play to their seed, and most of the time, exceed it.

    Gonzaga doesn't like playing grinder games vs. defensive oriented teams. I repeat, the Gonzaga Bulldogs do not like playing grinder games vs. defensive oriented teams. As one poster aptly put it, UNC-Greensboro was like San Diego on steroids. Gonzaga actually struggled more against USD than either BYU or SMC this year on whole.

    I felt Greensboro's coach did brilliant move of throwing in token full court pressure the entire game. Not only because GU has a propensity for turning the ball over, but also because it lessened the shot clock and gave Greenboro's excellent defense even more energy.

    I felt all along this would be around a 9 point win. I was not shocked in anyway, shape or form that they challenged the Zags. The Zags hate playing teams like this and have for years. It's why I would rather play Duke more than Virginia, even though Duke has way more NBA guys.

    So much went wrong for the Zags today:

    Tillie = 2 pts. on 1-6 shooting, only 4 boards
    Hachimura = 4 pts. on 1-6 shooting
    Norvell = 15 pts. but on only 3-12 shooting
    Gonzaga from 3 pt. territory: 5-23 (21.7%)
    Gonzaga's shooting overall = 42.4%
    Gonzaga's foul shooting = 13-25 (52%)
    Rebounding: Greensboro beat GU by 4 on the glass, and also beat GU on the offensive glass

    That's an upset right there, and despite all of it, GU came out with a 4 point win. Thank goodness for Perkins' clutch pull back jumper w/ under a minute (just as important as the Norvell shot, and maybe even more important - imagine if he had missed it!). Then Norvell. The greatest killing scoring instinct of any Zag since Adam Morrison. A kid who is just dying to assume leadership of this team in the future. A kid who wants the big shot. He was not all that good today, but he came through today in the big moment. That last 3 pointer was in the total flow of the offense. They have just got to stop him from taking 3 pointers early on in the shot clock when GU is running their halfcourt offense.

    Yes, the Zags probably should've won this game by 12 or something (they were never going to win by 30 against a grinder team as good as Greensboro). Survive and advance. Unlike maybe some other folk, I am glad OSU won. No more non-BCS teams trying to spring an upset. The Zags will not have to play a grinder opponent. I saw a video last night of a local Columbus college basketball analyst who said he doesn't give the Buckeyes much of a chance to beat the Zags. The reason: OSU is a much better team than back in Portland, but it's a bad matchup. Apparently one of OSU's key players put his hands in his hands when he saw that Gonzaga was in their bracket. The Buckeyes remember that game. They remember the 27 point blow out. I expect a much better game, but I just cannot see Gonzaga playing as badly as they did today. They did just about everything to lose.

    I hope and pray to God they do not give us the 9:15am tip off on CBS on Saturday that goes to the whole nation. Maybe the 27 point win in November will discourage CBS from doing thing this. But it just has all the makings of a game that would be shown at 9:15am. A huge Big-10 university vs. the best team from a non-BCS league.
    Great recap, post, and point, CDC.

    Still on edge after that game, yet to be expected given style and match-up. UNCG could have upset at least half these "power" 5 teams I've watched play.

    Gonzaga did not play poorly, for the most part, rather just miss a ton of shots and empty possessions. We still made a ton of really really good plays.

    We had an 11 pt lead with 14 mins to go...for a reason. Then gave up the lead...for a reason.

    For those that watched the game (i only saw around 10 mins), how did Rui miss so many shots? I'm most curious. I get Tillie, as occasionally his motor isn't turned on, and he "floats" tentatively around the court. The mins I saw from him were embarrassingly awful, some of his rebound attempts he had his hands agains this chest, like he was literally shying away from contact. Must get his head in the game before Saturday. Stay plugged in, outside some easy turn arounds in 2nd half, he was in the way more than helping.

    Spot on about their style, always gives us trubs. We should feel much more comfortable and matched up on Saturday. Although, I was shocked Ohio St attempted 40, yes 40 3's vs SDSU.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Now Tillie, Melson & Rui need to play like men and help this team advance. Sorry but Tillie played like the stereotypical soft Euro big, literally and mentally. If he thinks he’s ready to move on to the professional ranks, he needs to prove it Saturday.
    Tillie just needs to come ready to play. Rev up the motor, whatever it takes. Is he ill? He sure looked and played like it. Even J3's highlights make him look bad, just out of the play.

    Norvell needs to remember he shoots better when covered. Stop shooting open shots. lol

    Melson needs to only shoot off the catch. always. Also, step back a few feet, he's much worse when close to the line. Also, hold onto the ball, have a plan, and maybe play Rui at the 3 more, and Norvell at the 2 more -- as we often did late in the season, which was fun and constant mis-match.

    We played that lineup less than 2 mins today.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    They will arrange for him to have a driver, a student trainer.

    Did you not find him to be in control of his team, game planned well for us, poised? I liked that he even smiled at the most bone-headed play of the game, the alley-oop that didn't work. He could have had his head explode, but less than a minute remained and his team was tied, a smile allows the kids to focus on winning, not coach being angry.

    If I were an AD in a power 5 conference, looking to make changes, I might very well want to talk to that young man.
    He mentioned later that he called that play.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,522

    Default

    I don't know what was going on with either guy (Rui and Killian). Remember, this was really Rui's first NCAA tournament game, and Tillie didn't play extended minutes in last year's tournament. Nerves??? I noticed that UNC-G's coach did some defensive things to Tillie in this game to make him uncomfortable. After Killian's WCC performance, the coach clearly said, "that guy is not going to put 30 on us on my watch."

    I expect both men to have better games vs. OSU. The pace will be much more to their liking.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    His would have been a laugher if GU players shoots their averages from 3. Alonso for the bad guys had a great game to make it interesting. I hate these slow-down defensive games.
    Gotta give at least some credit to a defense that takes opponents out of rhythm, though. Their defensive numbers are no accident.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    They were a four seed facing a team that was universally declared the toughest 13 seed of the bunch.
    Agreed, that UNCG was a tough out today and they probably deserved to be seeded higher than 13, but after seeing Buffalo dismantle Arizona I'm thankful the Zags didn't draw 13 seed Buffalo in the first round.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I don't know what was going on with either guy (Rui and Killian). Remember, this was really Rui's first NCAA tournament game, and Tillie didn't play extended minutes in last year's tournament. Nerves??? I noticed that UNC-G's coach did some defensive things to Tillie in this game to make him uncomfortable. After Killian's WCC performance, the coach clearly said, "that guy is not going to put 30 on us on my watch."

    I expect both men to have better games vs. OSU. The pace will be much more to their liking.
    What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas?

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    525

    Default

    They schemed Tillie and both Rui and Tillie couldn't find a rhythm thanks to fouls.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    They schemed Tillie and both Rui and Tillie couldn't find a rhythm thanks to fouls.
    One's expectations can be shattered when you pick up two early fouls. Completely changes your mindset.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    303

    Default

    I know there was some joking about it beforehand even by Few, but I wonder how much having Kyle Bankhead on their bench, helped them almost pull off the upset.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    One's expectations can be shattered when you pick up two early fouls. Completely changes your mindset.
    Rui still played with a lot of energy and got some big boards. Just had a few calls not go his way. Tillie on the other hand had no energy and showed his inability to recover from a slow start. He either has huge games or plays so mediocre he has no business being on the court. JW reamed Tillie on one play after he got caught standing around twidling his thumbs while his man dunked over him. After the WCC tournament it appeared his streaky play might be over but I guess not. Too bad they can’t count on Larsen to get some quality minutes when Tillie lays his eggs.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chattaroy (20 mi N of GU)
    Posts
    3,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I'm very happy that the offensive foul on Alonso played a major part in the game. He was doing that push off play repeatedly during the game. I'm not saying he's a dirty player, but it needed to be called and he finally got caught in a critical moment.
    Yeah, that was cheap. However, I'll bet Silas's defense can really piss a player off. Silas is good

    The hefty-ist reason I want that Zags to win the whole shee-bang is simply to keep seeing the guys play. I just plain want to keep watching Silas and J3 play.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Spokane
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    One's expectations can be shattered when you pick up two early fouls. Completely changes your mindset.
    As a side note nowhere in the arena does the scoreboard show how many fouls a player has. What's up with that?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •