Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Tournament: Gonzaga Bulldogs And Cardinal Set To Meet Once Again

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    One quibble ZagDad, McPhee did not torch GU at any point during the game. She was just off. Missed a whole bunch of shots she normally makes. She did grab 10 rebounds and had 7 assists.

Maybe you are thinking of Carrington? 10 points off the bench in the first half, might have been scoreless after halftime.
    No it was McPhee as it seemed that her name was called every trip up or down the floor for one reason or another. However, you are right that she did not have the stats that "torched" us as she only had 5 pts (but 2-4 shooting) and 4 rebounds in the 1st half.

Maybe Gonzaga's defense had a little impact on McPhee's performance. You take away the other teams best player, unfortunately, Stanford's "other" best players made us pay.

Thanks, Cat,

ZagDad

McPhee is in a slump. She had 3 bad games in a row during the Pac 12 tournament (combined 22 points on 8-25 shooting), looked like more of the same today. 4-12 from the floor, many of the misses from point blank range.

I did not watch the game....I was at a funeral and a reception afterwards...good news, there were at least 7 STH Lady Zag fans there...one was keeping up on their cell as I was when it was appropriate.....Lady Zag fans are everywhere....

I can't comment on the game...

all I can say is this team did pretty darn well this year...won 17 conference games...came back from injuries...did not have their 6'4 recruit from last year and I don't know if the staff even tried to get one but I'm sure they didn't expect Emma to be out the whole year....despite that our girls accomplished a lot and I'm very proud of them...

I hope Jill stays....she has an opportunity to break a lot of records...it seemed to me that she really enjoyed this year...

we have a great future and its exciting to think of next year...

I will say about the tourney that we got lousy seeding....No Col in the Big Sky were a 7....I think an 11 seed would have been a little realistic...

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    I hope Jill stays....she has an opportunity to break a lot of records....
    Has there been any talk of her leaving? I hadn't even thought of that. If she completes her degree she could be a grad transfer, maybe eligible for the draft too?

heard that from someone I won't mention...hope she stays...she's been a great player for us and love her game..

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    heard that from someone I won't mention...hope she stays...she's been a great player for us and love her game..
    I certainly have no knowledge one way or another on JB leaving.

I will say that the article (As High As You Can Be) that Jill wrote, published by the Athlete Guide Yesterday and posted here under a different thread, certainly does not give any indication that she is in anyway unhappy at Gonzaga.

Not that she is not considering leaving, but it would seem strange to write this kind of article voluntary if you are considering leaving.

Time will tell.

ZagDad

Another thought on JB possibly leaving.

Jill has already used her redshirt year, so she would have to graduate this year to use the graduate transfer rule to transfer to another D-1 program or she would have to transfer to a lower level of basketball than D-1 (D-2, D-3 or NAIA).

ZagDad

I hope nobody transfers.

It occurred to me there is more than one Jill on the roster, sylean didn't specify Barta but that's who we are assuming is being discussed.

Something I was thinking about before the game but didn't post. Gonzaga players drew confidence from having beaten Stanford in Maples the previous season. The other side of the coin is that Stanford players were disappointed by that loss and looking for revenge. Might've been a fairly big motivating factor.

Zags Fall At Stanford In NCAA First Round

Zags Fall At Stanford In NCAA First Round

March 17, 2018

Final Stats | Photo Gallery

STANFORD, Calif. – The Gonzaga Bulldogs never quit fighting, but fell 68-82 at Stanford on Saturday in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

The Zags were battling the host four seed as a 13 seed, as Stanford built their lead through the first three quarters, and finished the third quarter on a 9-0 run. Jill Barta led all scorers with 21 points, hitting three threes and going six-for-six from the line. Laura Stockton scored 14, going five-of-seven from the field. Jessie Loera scored 12 points, all in the first half, and added two assists to Stockton’s four. Barta led the Zags with four rebounds, an area the Cardinal led 42-27. Stanford shot the ball well, 51 percent from the field, and hit 11 threes in 22 attempts. GU shot solid as well, 41 percent, hitting five threes.

Barta opened the game with a three from the corner on the first possession, giving GU a 3-0 lead and becoming the seventh Zag in program history with 1600+ points. GU forced three early Stanford turnovers and led 5-2 early with Barta scoring a scoop. The Zags hit a three-plus minute scoreless streak but a follow by Jenn Wirth kept GU ahead 7-5. Three Cardinal threes put them ahead 14-9 with four minutes left in the first quarter. Loera and Emma Stach hit late threes for the Zags in the quarter as they trailed 22-18 after one. Stanford shot 53 percent in the quarter with three threes while GU shot 40 percent with two threes. Jenn Wirth led GU with six points and the Cardinal scored 10 points in the paint.

Barta stepped through a triple team to get fouled and get GU on the board in the second, as Stanford led 24-20. An 8-0 run from Stanford early in the quarter saw them go ahead 32-20, forcing a GU timeout at the 6:36 mark. Loera broke the run with a pretty reverse layup out of the timeout. Loera kept rolling with a jumper and pause and go move to reach 10 points, as GU cut the lead to 36-26 with four minutes left. Barta scored off an inbounds roll to the basket late in the half to break double-figures with 11 points and Chandler Smith hit a jumper right before half as Stanford led 47-36 at half. Loera led with 12 points, going five-for-five from the field, and Barta scored 11. Stanford shot 50 percent from the field and GU shot 43 percent, but the Cardinal made six threes. Stanford led on the glass, 24 rebounds to 13, with 12 offensive boards. Stanford also blocked five shots and had 24 points in the paint, while GU had 12. The Zags were eight-for-eight from the line.

Zykera Rice got on the board to open the half and the lead was under 10 briefly, before Stanford hit another three. After some back and forth baskets, Barta stepped through another double team and free throws cut the lead to 10, 54-44, with six minutes left in the quarter. Stockton turned a steal into a foul shot, and free throws from Barta cut the lead to eight, 56-48. Stanford came back with another three. The Bulldogs hit a four-plus minute scoreless streak and another Cardinal three made it 62-48. One more three before the quarter end saw Stanford lead 65-48, their largest lead to that point thanks to a 9-0 run. Barta finished the quarter with 15 points and GU only allowed six Cardinal points in the paint in the quarter.

Stockton started the fourth with a jumper to kill the run. The Cardinal maintained their 17-point lead through the first four minutes. Barta hit her second three of the quarter to cut the lead down to 14, 70-56, with 5:30 left. The Zags held Stanford scoreless for over two minutes, but the Cardinal’s 11th three broke that drought. Stach answered that three to keep the lead at 14, 75-61, with three minutes left. Stanford made enough free throws to ice the game, winning 82-68.

“Stanford was too tough for us to stop on the glass today,” Gonzaga head coach Lisa Fortier said. “Unfortunately that was a big key for us, and our players played hard, they always do. We were gritty. We fought till the end.”

The Zags attacked to get to the foul line, hitting 17-of-19 attempts, and forced 18 turnovers. The Cardinal had 17 offensive rebounds for 15 second-chance points. The Zags recorded 10 steals but the larger Cardinal blocked eight shots.

The Zags say goodbye to seniors Emma Stach and Emma Wolfram.

“I am super grateful that I got the opportunity to play here, you know, to play in the NCAA Tournament,” Stach said. “Not everyone gets to do that.”

The game ended the season for GU (27-6), making their 10th trip in 12 years to the NCAA Tournament, after sweeping the West Coast Conference Regular-Season and Tournament Championships for the second-straight year with a conference-record 17 wins.

Gonzaga Article Link

CLF said she tried to get Jill Barta to do two of three things this year, score points, rebound, play defense. JB choose the first two. Jill Barta can be much better than she already is and succeed at the next level if she learns out to play defense. Jill Barta needs to do all three things next year to go further than this year it will be her last chance.

Zykera Rice also needs to learn how to play defense, she can't jump at every fake jump shot.

Our best defender Emma Stach is gone. You can find some minutes in the Zag lineup if you can learn how to play defense young ZAGS. We need the whole ZAGs team to improve their defense next year. You cannot allow consistant open 3 point shots and you have to know how to take charges under the basket. Is anybody on this team willing to plant their feet and stand their ground in the paint.

Our failure to stop easy layups and guard 3 point shots does not cut it against good teams. Who is the leaders of this team who will go the extra mile.

Jill Barta are you satisfied with this year? Do you want to win a NCAA Tournament game in your ZAG career? Are you willing to put in the work JB to go to the next level or are you satisfied with status quo.

Jill Barta you are a great offensive player, but you have the potential to be much more.

Wirth twins need to add some muscle so they don't defend like paper.

It was a good year ladies and CLF but ZAG Fans are ready for JB last year to be a doisy.

We should have great depth again next year and with another year of development we expect improvement in all faucets of the game go Lady Zags.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 03-18-2018 at 04:29 PM.

In ESPN's whiparound coverage, they showed all the 4-5-6 seeds, and Stanford was clearly the best of them all. A tough task. Hope for a better match-up next year.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

One player that deserves a strong "Atta-Girl" for her play yesterday is Laura Stockton.

The second half she played yesterday was one of the best halves she has played all year.

Good game Laura.

ZagDad

From the Stanford web site:

Stanford Gets By Gonzaga
    Cardinal advances to second round with 82-68 victory

STANFORD, Calif. (AP) – Tara VanDerveer had spoken about how much she wants to see her special seniors play a little bit longer. She had acknowledged Stanford's struggles being so great this season she wasn't sure there would be an NCAA tournament berth at all.

Then, as usual this time of year when it matters most, her determined Cardinal came through on the big March stage once more -- with a shining star freshman doing a little of everything.

Alanna Smith scored 20 points, freshman Kiana Williams made a sensational NCAA Tournament debut, and No. 4 seed Stanford beat cold-shooting Gonzaga 82-68 in the first round of the Lexington Regional on Saturday.

"We really had to work hard to be sitting in this situation so we're playing Monday night," VanDerveer said.

Williams scored 21 points and made 5 of 8 3-pointers and calmly pushed the pace on offense as the Cardinal created opportunities in transition. Early in the third, she stole the ball from Gonzaga's Emma Stach and drove it the length of the court for a layup.

Williams' teammates told her "just keep playing my game." That kept her from getting too nervous for the moment.

"Oh no, my teammates they have so much confidence in me it's hard to think about what I'm doing," she said.

Stanford (23-10) used a 9-0 run late in the third to pull away and overcame a tough shooting performance by Brittany McPhee, who had 11 points on 4-for-12 shooting. She also contributed 11 rebounds, six assists and a pair of steals.

McPhee missed nine games earlier in the season with a foot injury and the Cardinal played perhaps the toughest schedule in VanDerveer's 32 seasons on The Farm.

Stanford will face Florida Gulf Coast on Monday after the 12th-seeded Eagles (31-4) beat No. 5 seed Missouri 80-70 in Saturday's first game -- with not a single 6-footer on the roster.

"They put it right on their shirt, they shoot 3s," VanDerveer said. "The thing I hope is Steve Kerr will take a couple of those shooters and have them play for the Warriors on Monday instead of against us."

The Hall of Fame coach will face Eagles coach Karl Smesko after VanDerveer won her 900th career game against him at Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, in November 2013.

Jill Barta scored 21 points for the Zags (27-6), coming off their second consecutive West Coast Conference tournament title.

Stanford had plenty of motivation aside from protecting its home court and continuing a special season for seniors like McPhee and Kaylee Johnson, who had three blocked shots. Gonzaga won here at Maples Pavilion in the West Coast powers' last meeting, on Nov. 18, 2016 -- the Zags' lone victory over nine games in the series.

"We lost last year to this team," VanDerveer said. "I think our team took it very personally."

Stanford used a 10-2 run midway through the second quarter to build a 32-20 lead and Gonzaga was overmatched the rest of the way. That allowed VanDerveer to rest her regulars down the stretch and give the backups some key tournament minutes.

"There were several stretches we would get a great offensive play and then wouldn't get a stop," Gonzaga coach Lisa Fortier said.

BIG PICTURE

Gonzaga: Gonzaga forced 18 turnovers. ... The Zags are 2/3 in the NCAA tournament under fourth-year coach Fortier. That included a Sweet 16 run in 2015. ... John Stockton's daughter, Laura, had 14 points and four assists with her famous father in attendance.

Stanford: Smith had four of Stanford's eight blocks. ... DiJonai Carrington had 11 points, five rebounds, two assists, a steal and a block in 19 key minutes off the bench. ... The Cardinal have a 35-4 NCAA record on their home court in Maples Pavilion with 15 straight wins. ... The arena briefly went silent at the 9:31 mark of the first quarter when Marta Sniezek went down grabbing at her middle. She was OK but then took another hard hit from Stockton late. ... Jennifer Azzi, VanDerveer's first major recruit, sat behind the Stanford bench while Stanford football coach David Shaw was behind a baseline.

STANFORD CAN RELATE

When No. 1 Virginia went down to little-known University of Maryland-Baltimore County in the first round of the men's tournament Friday night, VanDerveer could relate.

"As much as it hurt last night probably today when they woke up it was even worse," she said Saturday.

It was 20 years ago when top-seeded Stanford lost to 16th-seeded Harvard, the only time a 16 seed had beaten a No. 1 previously before the Cavaliers fell and ruined brackets everywhere.

"Coach Bennett and his team should be exceedingly proud of their season. One game doesn't define them. For me what was most painful was watching both Kristin (Folkl) and Vanessa (Nygaard) go down with ACL injuries. The experience really taught me to enjoy each day! If we are the only two coaches to ever experience the loss I am honored to be in his company!" VanDerveer said. "Coach Bennett is a class act. He will only get better. Pain is a great motivator!"
    Article Link: http://gostanford.com/news/2018/3/17...y-gonzaga.aspx

ZagDad

From the Spokesman Review:

Gonzaga women drew unlucky No. 13 for opener
    UPDATED: Sat., March 17, 2018, 11:40 p.m.

By Jim Allen
    jima@spokesman.com
    (509) 459-5437

STANFORD, Calif. – The difference between a No. 12 seed and a 13 is bigger than it looks. For Gonzaga and Missouri, it’s as big as the Florida Gulf.
    Several bracketologists had the Zags and Tigers meeting in the first round – a 12 against a 5, with the winner probably facing Stanford in the second round. Instead, both are going home – Missouri because it couldn’t hit shots on Saturday in Maples Pavilion, the Zags because they misfired three months ago.

The NCAA will never reveal how close GU came to getting a 12 seed, but narrow losses to Belmont and UNLV probably cost the Zags dearly on Selection Monday.
    The real pain was felt Saturday. Instead of facing a Mizzou team that was flying halfway across the country, GU got stuck with a 13 seed and host Stanford. Never mind that FGCU was 13 spots lower in RPI. Now the Eagles are flying higher. After an 80-70 upset win over the Tigers, FGCU will face Stanford on Monday night for a chance to play in the Sweet 16. There’s no telling whether GU could have matched Gulf Coast’s performance on Saturday, but it doesn’t matter.

The importance of seeding took a big hit on the men’s side Friday night after another alphabet-soup team, UMBC, knocked off overall top seed Virginia. But for the women – in which the top-16 teams host in the first and second rounds – it means so much more. To her credit, GU coach Lisa Fortier didn’t offer up any sour grapes after a 17-point loss at Stanford.

Last year, the Zags were an 11 seed facing Oklahoma in Seattle. That meant GU had a few more fans than the Sooners, nothing more. Saturday was different. GU has overcome those odds before, notably three years ago at Oregon State, but the curve is steep.

“But it is different when you’re playing a team at home,” Fortier said. “It’s actually one of the issues that I have with the way it’s bracketed. “You know, we were recipient of home-court advantage a few years before and we were always a low seed, so I didn’t think that it was enough to overcome the higher seeds we were playing necessarily, but it does help you.”
    Article Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...13-for-opener/

ZagDad

Stanford dominates on the glass to eliminate Gonzaga women from NCAA tournament, 82-68
    UPDATED: Sat., March 17, 2018, 11:42 p.m.

By Jim Allen
    jima@spokesman.com
    (509) 459-5437

STANFORD, Calif. – For the Gonzaga women, this wasn’t about rising to the occasion. This was about getting down and dirty in the mosh pit known as Maples Pavilion, about matching up with Stanford in the paint on the Cardinal’s home floor. Ultimately they couldn’t, and Stanford pushed its way through the first round of the NCAA Tournament with an 82-68 win Saturday afternoon. Gonzaga pushed back, but Stanford fell back on some old weapons and used some new ones to advance to a second-round game on Monday against Florida Gulf Coast.

The Cardinal used tough defense in the paint, a commanding performance on the boards and some unexpected hot shooting from outside to pull away from the Zags. Ahead by four points after 10 minutes, Stanford had big runs in each of the middle quarters to take a 17-point lead into the fourth quarter.

“Stanford was too tough for us to stop on the glass today,” GU coach Lisa Fortier said as her team ended the season at 27-6. “Unfortunately, that was a big key for us, and I thought, at times, we did enough offensively and executed well enough, but they had too many second-chance points and too many rebounds.”
    The final tally was 42 to 27 on the boards, with 17 offensive rebounds for the Cardinal. Not coincidentally, GU was outscored 38-20 in the paint. The most telling halftime stat: no GU player had more than two rebounds.

It didn’t help that starting forward Zykera Rice picked up her second foul just three minutes into the game and played just seven minutes in the first half. “I tried to keep my head in the game,” Rice said. The Zags needed the rest of her. With Rice sidelined, leading scorer Jill Barta found the going tougher at both ends of the court. Barta worked hard for every one of her game-high 21 points, as double-teams greeted her at the top of the key. That led to open looks for the GU guards, but they hit just five of 17 outside shots. Stanford’s aggressive perimeter defense had something to do with that.

“One of the things in the film, when you watch Stanford play, they get a high hand every time,” Fortier said. “And so I think, I don’t know that we were tentative, I don’t think we had open threes, really.”

Stanford (23-10) had far too many at the other end. Coming into the game with a 31 percent average from beyond the arc, the Cardinal made six of 11 in the first half and 11 of 22 for the game.In particular, guard Kiara Williams hurt the Zags by going 5-for-8 from long range, tying Barta for game-high scoring honors with 21 points.

Gonzaga got a big spark in the second quarter from backup point guard Jessie Loera, who scored 12 points on 5-for-5 shooting to keep GU in the game. Trailing 47-36 at halftime, the Zags clawed back to within eight after two free throws from Barta. Stanford answered emphatically with a decisive push late in the third that included three 3-pointers and an offensive foul on Barta after she drove into several Stanford defenders at the free-throw line.

“In that just stretch of time, I think it was just about trusting your teammates; trusting that your teammate is going to hit an open shot,” said Stanford forward Alanna Smith.

Laura Stockton had 14 points for GU, along with four assists. Barta’s four rebounds were a team high.

Guard Brittany McPhee, a third-team All-American, had just 11 points, but showed her versatility with a game-high 11 boards. She also drove the lane relentlessly, forcing GU to collapse and leave shooters open.
    Article Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...iminate-gonza/

ZagDad

Gonzaga women struggle to find answer for Stanford’s Alanna Smith
    UPDATED: Sat., March 17, 2018, 11:40 p.m.

By Jim Allen
    jima@spokesman.com
    (509) 459-5437

STANFORD, Calif. – Going into Saturday’s game, the challenge was obvious: How do you slow down a physical, high-scoring junior forward who also can shoot from outside? Actually, Stanford never really shut down Gonzaga star Jill Barta in their first-round NCAA Tournament game.

However, the Cardinal posed the same question to GU, which had no answers for Alanna Smith. The 6-foot-4 junior was a presence inside, but also made a trio of timely 3-pointers on the way to a 20-point afternoon as Stanford beat GU in the NCAA Tournament at Maples Pavilion. Then again, any 3-pointer is timely when you average just 28 percent from the season. The first came early in the second quarter, helping Stanford during an 11-2 run that turned a four-point lead into 13.
    The next came in the in the opening minute of the third quarter, offsetting a layin by GU’s Zykera Rice and restoring Stanford’s double-digit lead, 50-38. The last dagger hurt the most. Midway through the third, after GUcut the lead to eight, Smith drained another from the side. Three minutes later, GU was down by 17 and running out of answers.

While Barta had to work hard for her 21 points, Williams made it look easy.

Said Barta after the game: “She’s an awesome player; she’s every coach’s dream.”

Unless you’re tasked with stopping her. “We liken her extremely close to Jill Barta,” GU coach Lisa Fortier said after the game. “I know her percentage doesn’t show it … but the scout was not to leave her open at three.

Faced with relentless drives in the lane by Stanford guard Brittany McPhee, the Zags had little choice. “That’s how we defend that offense, because of all the cutters, and most people don’t put their unskilled player right there,” Fortier said. “Stanford is too smart for that. So everybody backs off and backs off, and they pop them (Smith) right out there,” Fortier said.

In other words, Stanford had too many weapons.

“It’s difficult when the drivers can just penetrate in the middle and it opens up everything,” said guard Emma Stach after her final game in a Gonzaga uniform. “It’s just difficult to defend when you’re just, like, not keeping them out of the paint,” added Stach.
    Article Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...-for-stanford/

ZagDad

Will be rooting for Kelly Graves and the WBB Oregon Ducks tonight 7:30 PM. These ladies play at one speed never slow down, enjoyed their early trap defense last game, before they blew the opponent away. Kelly Graves gets the max from his bench great depth. Enjoyed the trivia quiz of the two sophomore's only perfect score knew each other that good.

Stanford was not that dominant of a team and it didn't matter that they were at home, St Mary's spanked us the same way in the Kennel. Like I said then no interior defense and perimeter defense of the 3 pointer. Players have to put in the work on defense IE JB and ZR particularly on the interior.

Minutes available for other players willing to play good tough defense.

Watching Oregon Minnesota game right now.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 03-18-2018 at 09:33 PM.

we NEED a big big...every team seems to be getting the big bigs....thick...tall...

that must be our priority in recruiting....

and we don't just need one....we need two....

if we stay in the WCC, everyone is getting bigger and bigger....

we can get all the 6'2's in the world, but it does not replace having a big big....

if we go to the Mw, same goes...

as for this year, imagine having a Grace or Emma in there....JB and the Wirths would be dynamite from the 10 foot line...same as Zee...

as far as this year, it was unfortunate scheduling that we didn't have 3-4 games straight at home, to build confidence....we had too many games away in November...what if we had been able to play even one more game at home then we did?.. our chances of winning would have been higher..our seed would have been much higher and we might have had an easier path in the NCAA's..

every possession must be crucial and every game, crucial because it pays off for the tourney..

win that game against UNLV, we don't play Stanford at Stanford....or win at Col State..or Belmont...

great year, but I'm wanting a fantastic year....

Journey ends for Stach, Gonzaga women
    UPDATED: Sun., March 18, 2018, 7:47 p.m.

By Jim Allen
    jima@spokesman.com
    (509) 459-5437

STANFORD, Calif. – It really is all about the journey. Soon, Emma Stach will begin a new one, but Saturday was about the one that just ended. Wearing her Gonzaga uniform for the last time, Stach was full of mixed emotions as she faced the media after a tough 82-68 loss to Stanford in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. “Right now it hurts,” Stach said as coach Lisa Fortier and teammate Jessie Loera offered moral support. “Looking back in a few days at this year, it’s going to be good … But yeah, right now, it hurts,” Stach said.
    And it should. Stanford was the better team Saturday, especially on the boards and on the perimeter. This isn’t the West Coast Conference, as if the Zags needed any reminding.
    This journey is over, and the Zags are richer for it.

True freshman Jenn Wirth was thrust into the spotlight early in Saturday’s game, after starting forward Zykera Rice hit the bench with two quick fouls. After battling the Stanford bigs for 16 minutes, Wirth came away with much more than six points and three rebounds. “It was an awesome experience,” Wirth said. “We knew we’d have to step it up, but we fell a bit short.”
    “Now we just have to keep getting better, pushing in the offseason,” Wirth said. That journey will begin soon, in the weight room. As Wirth pointed out, the Stanford bigs weren’t just tall – “they were just bigger,” she said.

She wasn’t the only Zag to see NCAA action for the first time. Twin sister LeeAnne Wirth saw six minutes of action, while Jill Townsend – just one year removed from the state 1A tournament in Yakima – came away with two rebounds and one emphatic blocked shot. “Hopefully that’s something that we can build on going forward and now they understand a little bit,” Fortier said. “And next time we’re in this situation, hopefully it will be a different outcome.”

Realistically, that will only come with a better seed. GU (27-5 going into Selection Monday) was better than a 13, which in the women’s game gets you a first-round against the host.
    A so-so nonconference performance was part of the reason, but GU also paid a steep price for playing 18 games against a conference schedule it can’t control. With the men facing the same problem, the GU athletic department is contemplating other journeys – for every program at GU. A move to the Mountain West Conference would mean the end of trips to Malibu and Moraga, California, and the tiny gyms at most WCC destinations. Instead, the Zags would find more environments like the one they experienced Saturday – big gyms with big crowds. Not like Stanford, but not like Santa Clara, either.

You get the feeling that the women would rise to the occasion. Fresh off a 10th NCAA appearance in 12 years, GU figures to be even better next year. Of the 10 players who saw action at Stanford, all but one will be in the weight room next month. Pausing as she contemplated her next journey, Stach took one last look around after her final game as a Zag. “I am super grateful that I got the opportunity to play here …to play in the NCAA Tournament,” Stach said. “Not everyone gets to do that.”
    Article Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...gonzaga-women/

ZagDad

Thank you for another great year ladies. It is unfortunate we were given a 13 seed but as long as others in the WCC perform as they did this year the only way we are going to win a Round one tournament game is to pull off the big upset. (which we have not been able to do) I am a little biased but I thought we would be seeded a little higher but, lets be honest here, our conference was filled with a bunch of weak teams this year and it is hard for the decision makers to give us much credit when wins are almost a given.

In the end we were beaten by a better team but I know our girls will come back stronger next year. Can't wait.

I am all for a tougher out of conference schedule or a move to another conference but the layers of that are many on both counts.

I also heard rumors of Jill B's departure in Vegas but brushed them off as crazy talk. The NCAA grind can be overwhelming and she has gone through four years of it now and would not be the first to look for change. (especially for the Lady Zags lately)

I think we will need to take a serious look at what we are doing on all levels if we lose more players this year. The revolving door IMO is getting tiresome.

Thanks to all the posters for another fine season of banter about something we all love. Go Zags.

To all those posters who think we need a "BIG", keep this in mind.

The starting line-up for the UConn Huskies (The record for this years seniors is 145-2) is as follows:

Gabby Williams (possible player of the year) - Forward - 5'11"
    Napheesa Collier - Forward - 6'1"
    Katie Lou Samuelson - Forward - 6'3"
    Crystal Dangerfield - Guard - 5'5"
    Kia Nurse - Guard 6'0"

Yes these are a mix of 4- and 5-star players but it is not just about the height but how to make the best use of your talents. For example, if JB had JT's desire for defense and rebounding combined with her offensive prowess, think how dynamic a player she would be. The same with "Zee".

The issue is how to get your best players to play 100% of the time on both sides of the ball. In general, this year the ladies did not play half a game very often (much improved from last year) but several players did not play at both ends of the court consistently. Height does not affect effort. We can compete with the height we have (although more height never hurts), but we need to improve how we use the ladies we do have.

Simply getting taller does not guarantee anything or mean you will be more competitive, although it can help.

ZagDad

UConn does bring in 6-6 Azura Stevens as their only sub that gets significant playing time. But point is well taken.

If it makes anyone feel any better, Stanford is pummeling Florida-Gulf Coast and Alanna Smith scored 13 points in the 1st quarter w/ perfect shooting from the floor.