Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Other Games March 13

Default Other Games March 13

Man oh man this UCLA-Bonnies game is painful.

St. Mary's is better than both of these teams.

Rooting for the Bonnies.

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Smc up 17-6 on southeastern Louisiana. I bet Randy loves the NIT...gets to play crappy teams at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post

Speaking of, watching St Mary's play their 1st Rd NIT game right now on ESPNU.

Gaels up 17-6 in the "1st Quarter".

NIT games split into 4 quarters of play, extended 3pt line, wider FT box, etc.

St Mary’s “gym” maybe 1/3 to 1/2 full...where’s that Gael Force???

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Pretty sure they all thought SMC played one game per season, some years in January, other years in February...when Gonzaga comes to town.

what?! We have other games at this gym?

Who knew...

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    Smc up 17-6 on southeastern Louisiana. I bet Randy loves the NIT...gets to play crappy teams at home.
    interestingly, SMC will play the winner of Boise St or Washington next Round.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Speaking of, watching St Mary's play their 1st Rd NIT game right now on ESPNU.

Gaels up 17-6 in the "1st Quarter".

NIT games split into 4 quarters of play, extended 3pt line, wider FT box, etc.
    Thanks for the heads up! At the end of the first, SMC leads 19-8.

http://scores.espn.com/mens-college-...meId=401022726

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    I think anyone that watched SMC over the last 2 weeks of the regular season would not agree with that statement. Crushed by GU, lucky to escape against Pepperdine and thumped by BYU.

interestingly, SMC will play the winner of Boise St or Washington next Round.
    It appears to me that this will be the last time Washington is outside the NCAA in a while.

That coach seemed to have the right approach.

I realize it has no real basketball tradition (not compared to football), still mystifies me how a school with that much money, that kind of academics and that beautiful a place can't make the field of 68 year in and year out.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    They barely support them during the WCC regular season. . .why would they support them in a tournament where first place is a set of steak knives ?

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

I am trying to figure out how badly I want UCLA to lose.

Pretty bad.

Bonnie just got absolutely hammered on way up and no call. Would've drawn a pass interference, but no call.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

not sure how I feel about this 4 quarter format.

with all the timeouts and additional time b/w quarters, too many interruptions and commercials, imho. Not a fan, not yet.

However, I do like the expanded 3pt line and wider FT box. Adds an element.

geez...

SMC up 40-17.

hey SE Louisana was 22-11, and did win their Conference reg season championship and advanced to their Conference Tourney Championship, and barely lost to SFAustin.

not sure how I feel about this 4 quarter format.

with all the timeouts and additional time b/w quarters, too many interruptions and commercials, imho. Not a fan, not yet.

However, I do like the expanded 3pt line and wider FT box. Adds an element.
    NCAA D1 women's hoops went to 4 quarters several years ago. Took a little getting used to, but now I love it. Games go by much quicker than men's games. Almost always can fit a game in under the 2 hour mark. Men's games almost always go over 2 hours. I'm not watching an of the NIT games tonight, but from what I've seen there are less stoppages w/ 4Q, not more.

Bonnies up 55-51 with 4:52 left
    So many brackets, so little time.

58-51 , under 4 to

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    NCAA D1 women's hoops went to 4 quarters several years ago. Took a little getting used to, but now I love it. Games go by much quicker than men's games. Almost always can fit a game in under the 2 hour mark. Men's games almost always go over 2 hours. I'm not watching an of the NIT games tonight, but from what I've seen there are less stoppages w/ 4Q, not more.
    interesting.

you could be right, maybe its just the exclusive NIT commercial breaks.

Definitely will take getting used to.

The deeper 3pt line would certainly favor guys like Silas Melson. Ever notice he seems to miss every attempt when close to the line, yet nails the deeper shots?

Speaking of, I've never seen anyone's stroke look so different from off the catch vs off the dribble. Silas literally fades away on his shots off the dribble, yet steps into his catch 'n shoot 3's. I'd venture to guess he's around 75% off the catch, and around 15% off the dribble.

Quote Originally Posted by Akzag View Post
    Bonnies up 55-51 with 4:52 left
    Bon Bons on a 12 - 0 run!!!

UCLA looked like they had taken control, up 5 w/ a chance to push it to 7. Then the Bonnies came roaring back and seized momentum. UCLA looking fairly dead in the water now.

edited...I many have spoken too soon. How was that not over and back on the tap out by Welsh?

Had the sound on & off, but apparently SE La. left 2 guys home because of some sort of incident involving a gun & a non-student(s)? Not at full strength.
    But we don't play nobody.

Bruins bring it back to 58-56, 1:39

interesting.

you could be right, maybe its just the exclusive NIT commercial breaks.

Definitely will take getting used to.

The deeper 3pt line would certainly favor guys like Silas Melson. Ever notice he seems to miss every attempt when close to the line, yet nails the deeper shots?

Speaking of, I've never seen anyone's stroke look so different from off the catch vs off the dribble. Silas literally fades away on his shots off the dribble, yet steps into his catch 'n shoot 3's. I'd venture to guess he's around 75% off the catch, and around 15% off the dribble.
    I guess I haven't paid close enough attention to Melson's shooting off the dribble vs. catch and shoot. If your guess is close to correct, you'd think Coach Few would be encouraging Melson to never shoot off the dribble!

I honestly believe SMC would smash both these teams. St Mary's went in a funk for a couple wks after we beat them, but they are legit. Great shooters, dominate big man, smart players, etc.

The shot selection has been awful, at best, in this UCLA-St Bonnie game.

Bruins got a very friendly call, tie it up w/ a pair of FTs.