Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't like it - not one bit!

Default I don't like it - not one bit!

All this lavish praise by the know-it-alls and predictions of Final Four, and Elite Eight... I don't much like it. With every heady prediction I wonder if ANYONE remembers just how good Nigel W-G, Shem, Mathews and Collins were, and how much good fortune and "balls bouncing our way" it took for THAT team to make it to the Final Four.

And now the bullseye is just growing larger and larger on the Zags' backs, with every lofty expectation tossed at these guys, especially for teams like Ohio State and Xavier.

I'd much rather be the squad being ignored and undersold, creating a chip of the shoulder. The players are listening to all the praise.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    All this lavish praise by the know-it-alls and predictions of Final Four, and Elite Eight... I don't much like it. With every heady prediction I wonder if ANYONE remembers just how good Nigel W-G, Shem, Mathews and Collins were, and how much good fortune and "balls bouncing our way" it took for THAT team to make it to the Final Four.

And now the bullseye is just growing larger and larger on the Zags' backs, with every lofty expectation tossed at these guys, especially for teams like Ohio State and Xavier.

I'd much rather be the squad being ignored and undersold, creating a chip of the shoulder. The players are listening to all the praise.
    DOOOOOOMMMMMMM

The kids were upset at being projected to lose the WCC and let it be known AFTER they won. Having something to prove is a great motivator. I prefer flying under the radar.

Guess the coaches need to coach against over confidence if the players are in fact listening to all the praise. Some viewing of the Villanova or SDSU game film oughta cure that real quick.

This team definitely plays best when out to prove doubters wrong but, absent doubters, they will have to be motivated by the desire to finish what they started last season! No excuses Zags; anyone, anytime, anywhere any reason. Don’t let the hype distract.
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

Agree 100%
    I wrote this yesterday in another thread.
    I haven’t seen this much love for a non 1 seed since Michigan State in 2016!

Buuuut, once the ball is tipped, it’s all about how you play, not who picked you.

Boooooooo
    20 Straight Big Dances

10 Straight Round of 32s

9 Sweet Sixteens

3 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2017 NATIONAL RUNNER UP

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Last year was the good team. This year would have been good if NWG and Collins had come back, but they didn't. This year we weren't suppose to win the WCC. This is the rebuilding year; we're fortunate to have made the NCAAs. Maybe next year we'll be good again. But the story seems to have changed.

I'm fine with it. I'm having visions of a tipped pass by Silas for a go-ahead dunk at the end of the National Title game. All the Silas haters silenced once and for all, we hang a banner, the Big East invites us, we go 2-0 in the UNC series.

Dream big, go Zags.

Posted this yesterday on “The pundits love us” thread: The pundits love us.......maybe a little too much? Love the respect,
    Worry about the effect.

Here’s one way our boys could find some fire: By showing they won’t take a back seat to last year’s team. Zags v Zags for
    bragging rights.

I love it. The talking heads have finally accepted Gonzaga as being on par with the blue bloods. How many schools like Gonzaga can say that? There's not many. This team doesn't need a chip on their shoulder. Mark Few knows what he's doing, he'll have these guys ready to go. Gonzaga might make it to the final four this year or they might not, but if they don't, it won't be because the talking heads were singing their praises.

It's like any teen movie. Last year the nerd became one of the cool kids.

Quote Originally Posted by jpn17 View Post
    I love it. The talking heads have finally accepted Gonzaga as being on par with the blue bloods. How many schools like Gonzaga can say that? There's not many. This team doesn't need a chip on their shoulder. Mark Few knows what he's doing, he'll have these guys ready to go. Gonzaga might make it to the final four this year or they might not, but if they don't, it won't be because the talking heads were singing their praises.
    Agreed.

In previous years, i'd be concerned with the hype. Like they yr we lost in Rd 2 as #1 seed. Most picked us to F4 that yr too

That said, not after last year. J3, Perks, Tillie know how hard you have to play to advance...really....vs anyone.

Nearly every team, outside the 1 line has close games.

Look at Purdue for instance. Every year they have made the S16, their opening round games are 2 or 3 or wins. It's that way for most teams this time of year.

This Gonzaga team could lose on Thursday, UNCG is MORE than capable, yet they could also return to a Title game, Gonzaga is also MORE than capable.

It's the magic of March.

Blowouts are RARE. Few and far between for any team off the 1 vs 16 line.

People tend to forget that this time of year.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by jpn17 View Post
    +1

Bob? Did you notice how the committee fixed the brackets so Gonzaga would be playing a team we have already played either this year (Ohio St), or last year in the tournament (South Dakota St, Xavier, North Carolina) if we win and keep winning?

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I don't mind it. I kind of like it, actually. It's a different feeling than in the past. Could this be what it feels like to be respected? As a matter of fact, I saw one article this morning that referred to GU as a "darkhorse" and I almost felt like it was an insult.
    Is it November yet?

Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaZagFan View Post
    I don't mind it. I kind of like it, actually. It's a different feeling than in the past. Could this be what it feels like to be respected? As a matter of fact, I saw one article this morning that referred to GU as a "darkhorse" and I almost felt like it was an insult.
    this team plays better with an edge. Let's hope they are able to develop their own

What’s all the fretting about? Sheesh! Last year’s Zags were good and so are these. It’s just a different mix of paint for Few’s easel/pallet. The ball bounces all sorts of ways, refs make questionable calls, pundits spout all sorts of cray cray stuff - but ..... this is an elite bunch culled from the corners of the world. Their aceS-in-the-hole may very well be how well they adjust during a game. Few & Co gets this bunch of Zags ready. Opposing teams won’t just be playing an elite bunch of athletes they’ll also have Few to contend with and I certainly have to think Few, with reaching the championship game last year, has learned a thing or two. The team is going into the Dance primed, armed to the hilt and well directed. If anyone beats them they’ll have played the best possible game they could play.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

BobZag needs some yoga...

Deep breath in...deep breath out...deep breath in...deep breath out...
    ...and there definitely is no such thing as Prince Charming.

St Bonaventure beating UCLA should serve as a good wake up call to any Zag players believing the hype that they best be thinking about nothing but game #1. Alford totally out coached in that game; he and his team had no clue what to do against Bonnie’s clever zone.
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    St Bonaventure beating UCLA should serve as a good wake up call to any Zag players believing the hype that they best be thinking about nothing but game #1. Alford totally out coached in that game; he and his team had no clue what to do against Bonnie’s clever zone.
    Why should that serve as a "wake up" call? It was two 11 seeds...
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    What’s all the fretting about? Sheesh! Last year’s Zags were good and so are these. It’s just a different mix of paint for Few’s easel/pallet. The ball bounces all sorts of ways, refs make questionable calls, pundits spout all sorts of cray cray stuff - but ..... this is an elite bunch culled from the corners of the world. Their aceS-in-the-hole may very well be how well they adjust during a game. Few & Co gets this bunch of Zags ready. Opposing teams won’t just be playing an elite bunch of athletes they’ll also have Few to contend with and I certainly have to think Few, with reaching the championship game last year, has learned a thing or two. The team is going into the Dance primed, armed to the hilt and well directed. If anyone beats them they’ll have played the best possible game they could play.
    Amen...people piss n moan when we don't get respect and then get all voodooish when we do
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Well, part of that probably has to do with the fact that Alford is not nearly the coach that Few is.

If you need a chip on your shoulder to win it means you are missing something and that is usually talent. Zags have earned the bullseye, that is what happens when you are good. It is what Few and company have been working for these past 20 years. Teams with Final 4 talent and aspirations know they belong and expect to be there. If the Zags lose it will because they played a better team or they failed to play to their abilities blaming anything things such as being picked by the media is silly and really serves to discredit both the team and the staff.

Things have changed for the Zags, Bob. They are no longer that little engine that could. They have an elite program now, and because of the process that the program has gone through over the years, I feel Few and his staff know how to handle the changes. It's a different program now, and expectations are different. Do i LIKE ONE better than the other. Not really. It's all part of the journey for me. I love where we were, and where we came from, but i also love who we are now. For me it's ok to be recognized for it. the players have always been proud to be a Zag......and so have the fans. I think for most it's all the same. Whether it's yesterday, today, or tomorrow We will always be proud to be Zags.

For me last year has passed and it was a great season full of great and wonderful memories. But this is our team now. These are the Zags in this tournament. I believe in this team as much as I did last year's. i CERTAINLY LOVE this team as much. I will cheer as hard for them as I have for any other team.

Good thread Bob. Nice to see you are back.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Sam Adams

@SWXSamAdams
    8m8 minutes ago
    More
    UNCG head coach Wes Miller on Gonzaga: They're not a mid major anymore. But they're the standard of how to take your program to the next level if you're a mid major.