Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I don't like it - not one bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    Why should that serve as a "wake up" call? It was two 11 seeds...
    Uhhh, because seeding doesn’t matter nor does name on the jersey...that’s the point. If you don’t think 18-22 yer olds playing for UCLA aren’t prone to overlooking a team they’ve possibly never even heard of, then I guess you don’t know much about 18-22 year olds...or human nature.
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

I would agree if we didn't have 4 players who made the NC last year on the squad. They gave first hand experience on how tough it is to make with players like karnowski, nwg, Collins and Matthew's on the team

Here's a fun story from the S-R by Theo Lawson about public perception of the Zags in this year's tourney as expressed in the ESPN Tournament Challenge: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...nts-in-ncaa-t/

BOISE – If America has it right, there won’t be another Final Four run awaiting Gonzaga this year at the NCAA Tournament.

The consensus from college basketball fans who’ve completed brackets for ESPN’s Tournament Challenge is that GU will make noise in the West Region, but a collision course with top-seeded Xavier in the Sweet Sixteen will ultimately lead to the Bulldogs’ demise in this edition of the Big Dance.

ESPN’s “People’s Bracket” combines every submissions from every user who’s completed a bracket for the website’s Tournament Challenge. It gives Gonzaga a 93 percent chance of moving past UNC Greensboro in the Round of 64 and overwhelming odds of knocking off Ohio State in a potential rematch between the Bulldogs and Buckeyes in the Round of 32. Seventy-four percent are taking GU over OSU.

The Sweet Sixteen is where it gets hairy.

ESPN Tournament Challenge pickers project Xavier to blaze through its first two games – 97 percent like the Musketeers to beat the winner of a play-in game between Texas Southern and North Carolina Central, 89 percent think they knock off Missouri in the next round. Then, 59 percent are taking Xavier over Gonzaga in the Sweet Sixteen, although it’s worth noting the general population agrees the Zags have a better chance of knocking off a top-line team in that round than anyone else. GU’s 41 percent chance of edging Xavier is significantly better than the 24 percent chance the People’s Bracket gives Purdue of beating No. 1 Villanova, the 19 percent chance Cincinnati has to beat Virginia or the 12 percent chance Auburn has to upset Kansas.
    The Tournament bracket challenge is fun and easy to fill out. I highly recommend taking the time to give it your shot: http://games.espn.com/tournament-cha...&sf184339782=1

This is certainly a different team than last year's special team. One of the positive ways this team is different than any Zag team (in my admittedly poor memory) is that this team is actually playing its best basketball now. I honestly cannot remember ever saying that with confidence in the past. Too often teams seemed to be just hanging on come tourney time.

The thing that always concerns me with first round games is how rusty we will be after a long layoff after the WCC Tournament. Need to shake off the rust quickly or it could get ugly. I sweat the first game more than any others.
    Last edited by ZagDaddy; 03-14-2018 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Uhhh, because seeding doesn’t matter nor does name on the jersey...that’s the point. If you don’t think 18-22 yer olds playing for UCLA aren’t prone to overlooking a team they’ve possibly never even heard of, then I guess you don’t know much about 18-22 year olds...or human nature.
    Oh, so you fear that Few won't have them ready...fair enough...altbough GU record in opening rounds speaks for itself

But what do I know...im just a robot
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

Things to remember:
    1. UNCG will be rusty too.
    2. Defense wins in these early rounds. I'd say Zags have the edge there for sure.
    3. I read so much about UNCG's powerful offense. Remember who they play. GU is 15 in offense in kenpom's ranking. I think 17 on D.
    4. We have much more experience playing in NCAA Tournament.
    5. We are playing in Boise ID. Not too far from Gonzaga. Come on everyon! Get positive.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    Oh, so you fear that Few won't have them ready...fair enough...altbough GU record in opening rounds speaks for itself

But what do I know...im just a robot
    My only point was that these players watch and follow what’s happening in the tournament. Coaches can tell them UNCG is a dangerous team ‘til they’re blue in the face, but seeing that a relatively unknown team from St Bonaventure University just knocked UCLA out of the tourney can help drive home the point. Is that really a controversial statement that you need to refute or argue about?
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

let's not forget UNCG is us 20 yrs go.

A rising mid-major, we had won 25 games, they have won 27.

We . had Sneaky size, a couple high-level shooters, just the right mix of athletes, confident, won our Conference and Conference Tournament, and an upstart/hungry Coaching staff.

Can't take them lightly.

Their tempo, press, defense, and mentality of offense will give us fits. It will make us uncomfortable. It will keep the game close.

Do we stay composed...or panic/rushed/too cute??
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama