Thread: Pendo Question

Default Pendo Question

This is copied from the Kraziness in the Kennel thread. Never got any comments on it - so I am re-posting it. Any thoughts ?

Pendo - I think that it is going to be a challenging year for him. Clearly he is a very good player, he has ALL the intangibles, and he has such good solid skills. And he is so dependable, plays great in the clutch, etc etc. But what struck me tonight is that, even though it was just a scrimmage, among all this great young talent, several of whom play his position, he did not stand out as clearly the better player. The other guys bring such talent and athletecism to the floor. I think that as the season plays on, he is going to fight for playing time. He will probably be the guy you want on the floor at the end of the game. But as the evening wore on, I just kept thinking, he is REALLY going to be pushed.

IMO - I think Pendo will get his time this season. Like everyone on the team, it'll be perhaps less than he might have thought because of the depth, but every comment and article I've read about him praises his leadership and work ethic endlessly. Honestly, one of the things I think this team is otherwise missing (and had last year in Mallon and, later in the season, in Pendo) is a guy who is the cool head that prevails and stops an opponent's run. We have oodles of talent, but a lot of it is young. If you look at a lot of games last year, especially in conference play where all the players know each other well, when the opposing team went on a run and GU was in a scoring drought, one of the players who consistently stepped up and scored a basket to stop the run and shift the momentum was Mallon. Mallon just made the obvious, simple, 10-cent, no-frills move (the shake-and-bake in the paint, the mid-range baseline jumper, whatever) when other guys were going for the $100 big jam or 3 and not making it. That is where Pendo will get his minutes this year - the calming, steadying, veteran influence.

Also (I know this is getting long, sorry), I got the impression the veteran players kinda backed off in teh scrimmage and let the newer guys have a go at things. I think Pendo will play better than he showed in the scrimmage (where he still got something like 10 boards, I think).

I agree with Nev. Pendo is a gamer, a guy with the guts, smarts and intangible skills that help win games. I didn't see the scrimmage but really wouldn't read too much into it. Pendo is coming off knee surgery and has barely practiced, as I understand it. For the way he stepped up no matter what was asked of him last year, I can see him getting significant time this year, especially when games are on the line.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by FuManShoes View Post
    I agree with Nev. Pendo is a gamer, a guy with the guts, smarts and intangible skills that help win games. I didn't see the scrimmage but really wouldn't read too much into it. Pendo is coming off knee surgery and has barely practiced, as I understand it. For the way he stepped up no matter what was asked of him last year, I can see him getting significant time this year, especially when games are on the line.
    You got it. Pendo is the veteran leader of this team. He's going to be getting a lot of minutes this year.

No doubt, 110% sure that Pendo will play PLENTY this year. He will be on the floor at the end. How can he not be?

Default Re:

To be honest, everybody on this team is being pushed. Practices have been really intense.

I have mentioned this before, but if the score is tied and there is a minute to go, I want Pendo in there. He not only does everything well on the basketball floor, but he has a tremendous basketball IQ and rarely makes mental errors. You need that during clutch time....not to mention his experience level. Pendo is also one of the best guys on the team when it comes to setting picks to free up shooters.

Default Pendo IS an athlete

Pendo is a much better athlete than he is usually given credit for. Decidedly, he is not a leaping gazelle type but that is only one "type" of athlete. He is strong. He has a stratospheric basketball IQ. He is ALWAYS in position, on defense or on offense. His foot movement (albeit not lightning fast) is superb. He defends well with his whole body against bigger, faster guys. He shoots the lights out. He is consistent as the day is long. He plays in the clutch like ice. These are all dimensions of "athleticism." It isn't just leaping ability and speed although those can be darn important. And we haven't even gotten to the part of his on-court leadership. He'll get his minutes. He'll make a difference.

Default Pendo will be the old man . . .

out of synch and out of place, willing but just not fast enough . . .

Until ....

it's crunch time. then the kids will gather round and listen, focus and, when the fit really hits the shan, they will get the ball to him and he will do whatever it takes to get two points.

then, there will be talk, again, that it's time to retire the old, slow warrior and replace him with yet another tall, cat-quick rabbit.

Until . . .

Default Always room for a brown bagger.

If you check out most of the long term elite basketball programs.ie, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas etc. you will find that somewhere in the guys getting major minutes is a blue collar, gym rat, bring your lunch bucket type of player who is the glue that holds the stars together. This is the kid who sports the floor burns, black eyes,cuts & bruises that being a little undersized, a tad slower, a little less vertical, and not as athletic as the future All-Everythings, and NBA'ers wears as badges of honor.. This is also the kid who seems to be in position to grab the key board, get the momentum changing steal, take the game winning shot, make the slick feed,or set the bruising pick. The "jack of all trades, master of none" who plays for love of the game, his team mates and his/her School. When your team is fortunate enough to have a kid like this, you will be a winner. The Poster boy for this kind of player is Pendo. God forbid that we ever get to the point that we think that type of player has no place on the floor for these kids are what has made Zag basketball what it is.
    Last edited by HillBillyZag; 10-31-2007 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Sorry ,Sr. Theresa Marie. Spelling again.
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

Whoa! Lots of Hall of Fame posts on this thread! ZN got goosebumps! Thanks, expecially, to Gamagin and Hillbillyzag!

Default Pendo

I acknowledge all of the above virtues re Pendo. But in three years he never learned how to keep out of foul trouble. A gamer but not a finesse player. You can play hard d without fouling.

I'd think any "guard" forced to play power forward would rack up a few extra fouls in efforts to make up the difference in size...

If we're considering Pendo a guard (and presubmably using him at the 2/3)this year, I think we'll see a lot less fouls.

Just saying.
    There's no such thing as "garbage time" - there's only the time to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

That is what is best about being a Zag.

It would be interesting to know just how the coaches have graded out Pendo's recent performances. It's been mentioned he has graded out fairly well in the past. Our perception of Pendo's play, or any other player, might be completely different from what the coaches expect and see.
    We lost, we won; either way we had fun. - Eduardo Galeano

Default Pick & Pop

The old pick & pop is a great offensive weapon we will continue this year with Pendo. I know the WCC is probably like "how long is this guy been at GU for"? What a leader!

Pendo Predictions:

1. He will be a starter at the beginning of the year.

2. He will be a starter at the end of the year.

3. He will be the fourth leading scorer for the year after Pargo, Heytvelt, and Downs.

4. He will be the second leading rebounder after Josh.

5. He will not be in foul trouble this year because he will play his natural positions, 2 and 3.

6. He will be the glue that keeps everyone together this year.

agreed. i could even see him leading the team in scoring in some games. last year he showed some great offensive ability when heytvelt was suspended, something i hadnt seen from him really ever.

Mallon wasn't one of the five best players on the team last year, but Few tends to honor his vets (with the exception of PMAC). I think Pendo will get his share of minutes, and he deserves them. Pendo was one of our top three players on the floor at the end of last year.

didn't read the replies, but wanted to note that Pendo basically didn't play/practice all offseason (injuries), so some of what was seen at the public "practice" was related to his rust (compared to the others). Give him a little time and I doubt he'll look as "overmatched."
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

>Pendo is coming off knee surgery and has barely practiced, as I understand it.

When he was interviewed on 790 AM he said that he had to go back a second time to clean stuff up from the first procedure.

So, my thinking is that he played last year on a bum knee. That has got to hurt your lateral quickness and jumping ability. I fully expect him by mid-season to be in game shape and to see the Tasmanian Devil (w/ matching red hair) diving, scratching and clawing his way to loose balls and rebounds.

One thing that changes a team's starting rotation is injuries. Since Pendo hasn't played much with the team this summer he may have lost the opportunity to be the "starter." With so much depth I expect Pendo not to start and when he does be the first starter to sit down on the bench but then be a "finisher" who is on the court in the last couple minutes of close games.

The finishers will probably be:
    Pargo
    Bouldin
    Downs
    Pendo
    Heytvelt

I think you replace Pendo with Kuso for the starters.

I like Pendo a lot and admire his Zagness. He is going to be a captain, and he deserves it. However, I do not believe he will get as many minutes as some of you think. I think Pendo will be a role player, as he was last year before Josh got hurt. Pendo will play quality minutes but he is limited against big, strong power forwards as we saw against Indiana last March. Pendo was very ineffective and Few played him very little. Against certain teams he just lacks the size. It's not a slam against David, it's just a fact. There are many teams across the country who have guys just like Pendo but they are 6'9". He will certainly not be a leading scorer on this team, and will not be a leading rebounder. I hope he can average 7 pts per game, and 4 boards. I think those are realistic stats for David.

Pendo will play most when we go with our smaller, quicker team as we did last year...and the pressing team. Those should be spotty minutes. However, if Few does press more this year than we'll see more of Pendo. I see the problem for David is that he plays the 4, or Power forward position. It's the position that Josh also plays, and this year Daye will play there some, and possibly Davis. But the minutes at the 4 position will belong mostly to Josh. This is just my opinion...

saintzag Guest

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Fonebone View Post
    This is copied from the Kraziness in the Kennel thread. Never got any comments on it - so I am re-posting it. Any thoughts ?

Pendo - I think that it is going to be a challenging year for him. Clearly he is a very good player, he has ALL the intangibles, and he has such good solid skills. And he is so dependable, plays great in the clutch, etc etc. But what struck me tonight is that, even though it was just a scrimmage, among all this great young talent, several of whom play his position, he did not stand out as clearly the better player. The other guys bring such talent and athletecism to the floor. I think that as the season plays on, he is going to fight for playing time. He will probably be the guy you want on the floor at the end of the game. But as the evening wore on, I just kept thinking, he is REALLY going to be pushed.
    He did not standout to you. How about an injured player GETTING 10 REBOUNDS IN THE FIRST halve.

Default All Good points

Can't really disagree with much of what has been posted. My original post wasn't really to say that he didn't look good in the scrimmage. It was just that as I watched the scrimmage, and some of the immense potential of some of the other players started to sink it, I weighed that against all that I know of Pendo from watching him three years, and I think that with the talent at his position, he is really going to get pushed. Granted, potential and talent do not always translate into realizing that production on the court, in games. But if it does, I think he will be battling for minutes as the season goes on.

I think CDC hit the nail on the head however, that in crunch time, he is the guy I would want to see on the court. He has always performed well in pressure situations. He remains perhaps my favorite player, and I hope he has a tremendous season.