Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zags v Stanford - NCAA First Round - 3:00pm Saturday

Default Zags v Stanford - NCAA First Round - 3:00pm Saturday

A 13 seed. Thought they'd get a better seed but Stanford is vulnerable this year. Will be going against former John Stockton team mate Bryce McPhee's daughter Brittany.

Now their daughters play against each other.

Ironic how that works.
    Last edited by BobZag; 03-12-2018 at 05:41 PM.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Wow not much respect for our ZAGS Ladies 13th seed. We go 17-1 and win the WCC Tournament and the best we can do is a 13th seed Ouch. Guess we have to beat higher rated teams to move up the respect rankings. Can't be like St. Mary's guys who play no one other than the ZAGS.

Here is the answer to the riddle beat Stanford infront of the pubic in the NCAA tournament and you might be higher rated seed in the future. We are in the Lexington bracket by the way.

Step 2 play tough teams in the non-conference schedule and beat some some of them.

Well Chandler Smith, Zykera Rice, Laura Stockton, Jill Barta you are all Juniors you never know what tomorrow brings, its time to make it happen. Emma Stach don't let this be your last game as a Senior.

This is what you worked all year for Lady Zags hold nothing back.

Stanford was better last year. They can struggle to score at times. They do play tough defense. McPhee was really good for the Cardinal this year. Most of their players are fairly inconsistent. Fr. guard Kiana Williams got better and better as the season progressed and was playing very well for them at the end of the year. Sniezek doesn't score a lot but runs the team fairly effectively as the PG. Alanna Smith is streaky, she can look really good but other games she misses a ton of shots. Has 3 point range, can score on the block and is decent driving as well, fairly versatile post player. Johnson is mostly a rebounder and shotblocker, also doesn't score a lot. Never know what they are gonna get from the bench. Carrington and Fingall are probably the biggest contributors off the bench. Dodson "looks" like she should be a great player but hasn't been that productive this year.

Certainly a winnable game. I'd mostly be worried about Stanford's defense. They can really shut teams down and have been fairly good at taking away the opponent's top scoring option away.

Also forget about the common opponent in OOC. Stanford was terrible early in the season but completely turned their season around after they got into conference play.

The advantage of being in the Pacific Time Zone cannot be overstated. We can beat Stanford and the other teams in our bracket. The committee could have made us 5,6,7,8,or 9 and sent us to the East Coast. I like this bracket and we are playing great basketball! Go Lady Zags

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Stanford was better last year. They can struggle to score at times. They do play tough defense. McPhee was really good for the Cardinal this year. Most of their players are fairly inconsistent. Fr. guard Kiana Williams got better and better as the season progressed and was playing very well for them at the end of the year. Sniezek doesn't score a lot but runs the team fairly effectively as the PG. Alanna Smith is streaky, she can look really good but other games she misses a ton of shots. Has 3 point range, can score on the block and is decent driving as well, fairly versatile post player. Johnson is mostly a rebounder and shotblocker, also doesn't score a lot. Never know what they are gonna get from the bench. Carrington and Fingall are probably the biggest contributors off the bench. Dodson "looks" like she should be a great player but hasn't been that productive this year.

Certainly a winnable game. I'd mostly be worried about Stanford's defense. They can really shut teams down and have been fairly good at taking away the opponent's top scoring option away.

Also forget about the common opponent in OOC. Stanford was terrible early in the season but completely turned their season around after they got into conference play.
    Thanks for the run down on the Cardinal Cat.

Yes, the Cardinal certainly have improved since their OOC games, but that can be said for most teams, including the Lady Zags, who have 3 Freshman playing big minutes who did not even know where to stand during their OOC schedule. So, I do think that the OOC schedule does provide some measure of comparison, but not near as good as comparing more recent opponents. Stanford and the Lady Zags really have quite a number of common opponents. Here is a list of the common opponents, scores and where played for reference:

STANFORD
    Belmont (Play4Kay Tournament) = 74-53 (W)
    Kent State (Play4Kay Tournament) = 79-54 (W)
    USF (Home) = 86-56 (W)
    UNLV (Home) = 74-33 (W)
    Western Illinois (Home) = 64-71 (L)
    WSU (Home) = 70-57 (W)
    WSU (Away) = Canceled

GONZAGA
    Belmont (Play4Kay Tournament) = 63-71 (L)
    Kent State (Play4Kay Tournament) = 77-57 (W)
    USF (Home) = 74-47 (W)
    USF (Away) = 81-57 (W)
    USF (Neutral) = 65-53 (W)
    UNLV (Home) = 50-52 (L)
    Western Illinois (Home) = 80-65 (W)
    WSU (Away) = 64-56 (W)

The Gonzaga loss at home against UNLV was the game we played without Jill Barta. In comparing the numbers, it looks like we match up pretty well with Stanford. If the girls can get over the "mystic" of playing at the farm, they have as good a chance at any of winning this game.

Go Zags,

ZagDad

Wow, I was only thinking of Western Illinois as a common opponent, forgot there were so many. If you factor in Barta missing a game, you also have to consider McPhee missed most of the OOC schedule, including the Western Illinois game.

2018 Division I Women's Basketball Championship Official Bracket Link

Includes dates, times and TV coverage listings...

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Yes, the Cardinal certainly have improved since their OOC games, but that can be said for most teams, including the Lady Zags, who have 3 Freshman playing big minutes who did not even know where to stand during their OOC schedule. So, I do think that the OOC schedule does provide some measure of comparison, but not near as good as comparing more recent opponents. Stanford and the Lady Zags really have quite a number of common opponents. Here is a list of the common opponents, scores and where played for reference:

STANFORD
    USF (Home) = 86-56 (W)
    UNLV (Home) = 74-33 (W)
    WSU (Home) = 70-57 (W)
    WSU (Away) = Canceled

GONZAGA
    USF (Home) = 74-47 (W)
    USF (Away) = 81-57 (W)
    UNLV (Home) = 50-52 (L)
    WSU (Away) = 64-56 (W)

The Gonzaga loss at home against UNLV was the game we played without Jill Barta. In comparing the numbers, it looks like we match up pretty well with Stanford. If the girls can get over the "mystic" of playing at the farm, they have as good a chance at any of winning this game.

Go Zags,

ZagDad
    Notwithstanding our Freshmen who have yet to step foot onto their court, we as a team already have... November 18, 2016, 68-63. Now,.... we just need to get our Freshmen over that mental hump.

That being said, ZD, thanks for the game score comparisons. I (and many others) appreciate you taking your time to dig it all up, type it up, and post it.

I agree with you, ZD. We got a change to win this and move on.

GO LADY ZAGS!!

The 13 seed bothers me less than being placed in the Lexington bracket. I will admit my homer bias, and it seems like the NCAA is afraid to let the team play too close to home lest the crowd carry them to victory. The whole way the first rounds were chosen changed after the women upset all those power conference teams at home and then publicly complained about the Zags’ seeding and the home court advantage 6-8 years ago. Now they can’t even earn their way into a second weekend in front of the home crowd? Please. They must be doing something right if they have changed the way the entire tourney is scheduled.

P.S. I do also support improving our OOC conference schedule ala the men’s team.

Zags Draw Familiar Foe In Cardinal In NCAA First Round

Bulldogs will play Saturday at Stanford

March 12, 2018

2018 NCAA Tournament Selection: https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/973359335123312640

Selection Show Notes

Gonzaga (27-5) vs. Stanford (22-10)

Mar. 17, 2018 | 3 pm PST | Watch ESPN | 1510 KGA AM (Steve Myklebust)
    Stanford, Calif. | Maples Pavilion (7,233) | ESPN2

Tournament Central

WCC CHAMPIONS:

- The Zags won their second straight West Coast Conference tournament title, defeating sixth-seeded San Diego, 79-71.
    - They were led by Jill Barta’s 32 points. She was named the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player for the second-straight year.
    - Zykera Rice, who was named All-Tournament Team, added 17 points and Emma Stach had 14 points and joined her on the All-Tournament Team. Laura Stockton dished out eight assists.

TOURNAMENT FACTS:

- Gonzaga was selected for its ninth NCAA Tournament in 10 years and 10th overall.
    - The Bulldogs are 10-9 all-time in the NCAA Tournament, with four trips to the Sweet 16 and one to the Elite Eight.
    - This marks the eighth time the Bulldogs have advanced to the NCAA Tournament via winning the WCC Tournament and the second-straight year, the third time they have won back-to-back titles.
    - The Zags’ first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance in 2007 was at Stanford, a 46-85 loss to Middle Tennessee State, the only NCAA Tournament game GU has ever played at Stanford.
    - GU has never been a 13-seed before, but were a 12 when they played at Stanford in 2007.
    - The Zags are 5-4 all-time in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
    - The Zags last played a four-seed in 2009, falling to Pittsburgh 65-60 in the second round in Seattle. That is the only time GU has ever faced a four seed.
    - Gonzaga battled but fell 62-75 to Oklahoma in the First Round in Seattle last season. Laura Stockton led Gonzaga with 14 points and Jill Barta added 13 in the game.
    - Gonzaga is 36-31 (.537) in the postseason since joining the NCAA...

Gonzaga Article Link

hm....I didn't realize that being placed at Stanford would eliminate us playing in Spokane..."if" we win...

the game that I wish we had back was the UNLV game....we gave that game away.....

CLF did try to play Stanford....little did she nor we know we wouldn't be able to get into the final round at the pre conf tourney in Vegas....

lots of things have pulled our rating down this year...

so good for the team to remember that NEXT YEAR get into the top 16 and they can play on their home court (knowing the NCAA they'll change the rules again...lol)...

..and in that vein, I hope we can play at home a bit more in November...the girls had a tough away schedule, except perhaps for Montana...start well, hopefully finish well..

as far as Stanford goes, most of the team know them, have played on their court...I don't think the Wirths nor Townsend get too intimidated...Laura must play within herself....Jill and Zee must establish the inside game...

we play our game, we'll be okay....

lets send Mcphee out with a good old Zag win....(payback for not coming to Gonzaga...yes, I hold grudges....lol)

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post

STANFORD
    USF (Home) = 86-56 (W)
    UNLV (Home) = 74-33 (W)
    WSU (Home) = 70-57 (W)
    WSU (Away) = Canceled

GONZAGA
    USF (Home) = 74-47 (W)
    USF (Away) = 81-57 (W)
    UNLV (Home) = 50-52 (L)
    WSU (Away) = 64-56 (W)

Go Zags,

ZagDad
    Thanks for the common opponent info. Looks like there's a real chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag Swagger View Post
    The 13 seed bothers me less than being placed in the Lexington bracket. I will admit my homer bias, and it seems like the NCAA is afraid to let the team play too close to home lest the crowd carry them to victory. The whole way the first rounds were chosen changed after the women upset all those power conference teams at home and then publicly complained about the Zags’ seeding and the home court advantage 6-8 years ago. Now they can’t even earn their way into a second weekend in front of the home crowd? Please. They must be doing something right if they have changed the way the entire tourney is scheduled.

P.S. I do also support improving our OOC conference schedule ala the men’s team.
    In reality, after several years of absolutely horrible attendance at the first weekend of playoff games, The NCAA elected to play the first weekend's games at the home court of the top 16, seeded teams. This guaranteed that at least for the first round of games, would feature a highly seeded home team and guarantee at least some reasonable attendance. Unfortunately, this also gives the top 16 seeds an additional benefit that they really don't need.

As far as Gonzaga goes, the odds of the Lady Zags (or any double digit seeded team) winning the first game, let alone two games the first weekend needed are not very good. However, we did it in 2015, when we beat George Washington and then Oregon State to make it back to Spokane.

ZagDad

Fair enough, ZD. The attendance in Spokane was always good, but that doesn’t mean it was elsewhere. But I still think they were scared of the Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag Swagger View Post
    Fair enough, ZD. The attendance in Spokane was always good, but that doesn’t mean it was elsewhere. But I still think they were scared of the Zags.
    Exactly Zag Swagger, hence why we keep getting selected to host the 2nd round. Last go around in 2015, Maryland's head coach was very complimentary about the Spokane attendance and knowledge of the crowd.

ZagDad

It would have been awesome if Emma Wolfram was able to play......

Her run of injuries ruined what was once a very promising career.

If she was playing the Zags would not be a 13 seed that's for sure.

Gonzaga Alumni Association ~ March Madness Events and Information

Link: http://www.zagsonline.org/controls/e...3-7e2d2e15f3a9

looking ahead til next year, Portland apparently is one of the sites for the tourney....Portland....the Ncaa gets what it wants and will use whatever excuse to place their teams in good locations...

about Emma....its a credit to CLF and her staff that after losing not one big (grace) but then to loose a second, that they were able to make this team work....having 6'2 or 6'3 gals is good, but we really could have used and still need a bigger player....that's the trend....having at least one monster on your team....BYU has one...OSU will have about 3 next year...

Southwest Missouri State, now Missouri state, went from New Jersey then to Spokane many yrs ago to make the final four....they were a mid major...

It can be done....they beat Udub,Rutgers, Toledo and Duke along the way...

What's the problem w/ Portland hosting a Regional sylean? Spokane isn't going to get it every year. I'm always happy when West region Tourney games aren't in California, they get way more than their fair share.

Oregon gets to play at home this year and then go to Spokane....next year they'll probably get to play home and then go all the way up to Portland....I see a trend here....

we just need to make the top 16 that's it....lets make it happen...

we probably shouldn't play 5 out or our first 6 on the road however...

The trend you mention is exactly as the NCAA is trying to plan it.

Attendance has been horrible for years during the first few rounds, thus the let the first 16 seeds play at their home gym. Then for the regionals, they try and locate the #1 seed to the regional closest to their home. If, as is the case this year, there is no "Western" #1 seed, the lowest #1 seed gets to travel. If you notice each of the #2 seeds is playing closest to their home gym. I don't see any conspiracy, just the NCAA trying to maximize the attendance of the Wbb tournament, while still protecting the Power 6 conferences.

Take a look at each of the four (4) locations and the top 2 seeds in each region:

Albany, NY - #1 Seed = UConn, #2 Seed = South Carolina
    Spokane, Wa. - #1 Seed = Notre Dame, #2 = Oregon
    Lexington, KY. - #1 Seed = Louisville, #2 Seed = Baylor
    Kansas City, MZ - #1 Seed = Miss. State, #2 Seed = Texas

If the chalk holds, we could have quite a list of teams at the Spokane Regional: #1 - Notre Dame, #2 - Oregon, #3 - Ohio State, & #4 - Texas A&M.

Get your tickets now.

ZagDad

Attendance is good but I wonder if TV & streaming is what will eventually drive the women's tourney, Making headway but a long way to go to catch up with men's BB.
    Looking at Stanford's winning record in the NCAA tourney and their home record, do the Zags really have a chance. No true post player, no knock dead shooting guards, this looks like a steep uphill battle.
    My hope is that the pressure defense that worked against weak WCC foes can have some effect against Stanford. Keep the score low and a lot of luck, just maybe!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    Oregon gets to play at home this year and then go to Spokane....next year they'll probably get to play home and then go all the way up to Portland....I see a trend here....

we just need to make the top 16 that's it....lets make it happen...

we probably shouldn't play 5 out or our first 6 on the road however...
    Why shouldn't Oregon get the same advantage that many teams further east get every year? UConn has a Regional either in New York or Connecticut pretty much EVERY year. In consecutive years Baylor got to go to a Regional in Dallas and then Oklahoma City.

Quote Originally Posted by pony View Post
    Attendance is good but I wonder if TV & streaming is what will eventually drive the women's tourney, Making headway but a long way to go to catch up with men's BB.
    Looking at Stanford's winning record in the NCAA tourney and their home record, do the Zags really have a chance. No true post player, no knock dead shooting guards, this looks like a steep uphill battle.
    My hope is that the pressure defense that worked against weak WCC foes can have some effect against Stanford. Keep the score low and a lot of luck, just maybe!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't know about Gonzaga's pressure D, but UCLA and USC both put a tremendous amount of pressure on the ball and force a ton of turnovers. Stanford went 3-1 against those 2 this year. I think they'll be fine handling some pressure.