Thread: Lady Zags Selection Show Thread

Default Lady Zags Selection Show Thread

4:00pm on ESPN.

I'm thinking Charlie Creme has it right. A 12 seed in Palo Alto (Stanford) with a second game match with home team Stanford, iffin the gals beat a solid 5 seed in Round of 64.

We'll see soon!
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Thanks for the reminder BobZag.

ZagDad

Palo Alto...how nice is that.....

Here is an article on the GU women and their selection today by the Spokesman Review:

Single-digit seed a singular goal for Gonzaga women
    UPDATED: Sun., March 11, 2018, 9:50 p.m.

By Jim Allen
    jima@spokesman.com
    (509) 459-5437

With the dawn of Selection Monday, the possibilities are almost endless for the Gonzaga women and their fans.
    So are their NCAA dreams, which include a single-digit seed, a second-round reunion in Eugene with former GU coach Kelly Graves, and the topper: a sweet return trip to Spokane for the regionals. Hopefully all of the above.

Or they could get shipped back East, relegated to a 12 seed, and face an uphill game against another power conference school.
    It’s all in the hands of the NCAA, and coach Lisa Fortier has only so much time to ponder the what-ifs. The West Coast Conference tournament trophy was barely in the GU trophy case before she took a recruiting trip to Texas. Fortier, her staff and players were back on the practice court last week, “doing some things to prepare for someone more athletic than what we’ve seen, just trying to simulate that,” Fortier said.

The payoff will come Monday afternoon, when Gonzaga’s name will flash on the TV screen. But where?

The Gonzaga women rose to expectations and beyond this year. The preseason West Coast Conference favorites lapped the field, winning the regular season by four games and rolling through the WCC Tournament.

At 27-5 with an RPI of 32, the Zags should reasonably expect a 7 or 8 seed, but Fortier isn’t so sure.
    “Our conference hasn’t been respected the way some other conferences have,” Fortier said.
    Indeed, the Zags’ strength of schedule rates 104th, the second-lowest among the top 32 teams, the product of 18 games against WCC foes.

Eight of the 10 WCC teams rank 130th or lower in RPI, and the conference ranks 14th overall out of 32. By contrast, Oklahoma – the team that knocked GU out of last year’s tournament, – is only 16-14, but has played the third-toughest schedule in the nation. Given that, expect the Sooners to make the field.
    So where does that leave the Zags? Experts are all over the board.

For three weeks running, ESPN’s Charlie Creme has stuck the Zags with a 12 seed, shipping them to Stanford for a first-round game against the likes of North Carolina State, Ohio State or Missouri. College Sports Madness pegs GU as a 10 seed, facing 7th-seeded LSU in a pod hosted by Texas. RealTimeRPI has the Zags a lofty 7 seed with a very winnable game against Cal, but shipping them to Columbus, Ohio. In recent days, Gonzaga has ranked as high as a seven seed and as low as a 12. The destinations are all over the map, and in every time zone. Two weeks ago, College Sports Madness had a 10th-seeded GU team traveling all the way to Florida State. That probably won’t happen this year. Apart from trips to Rhode Island (in 2012) and Texas (2014), the Zags have stayed close to home.

The dream destination for many fans would be Eugene, where Graves has taken Oregon to a Pac-12 title and a probable No. 2 seed. It’s easy to forecast GU as a 10 seed, with a very winnable opener setting up a second-round matchup with the Ducks. But even with a 12 seed, another attractive choice is the trip to Stanford, where the hosts look more beatable than Oregon. Two wins could send the Zags back to Spokane for the Regionals and a reprise of Fortier’s first year.

“That’s the goal,” she said.
    Article Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...-gonzaga-wome/

ZagDad

This morning in the Associated Press Top-26 Poll, the Lady Zags are ranked 26th with 16 votes.

ZagDad

the team has played at Stanford...that's a plus...and they've won at Stanford...another plus...

I'd rather they not go to Eugene...despite everything on the outside, I think there was some bitter blood when graves left, taking all his assistants, a prize recruit and tried mightily to get our other recruit(Jill B)...CLF said at one time she would never schedule Oregon as an opponent..

so Stanford sounds okay with me....

the year has been a good year but one win in the NCAA's would be fantastic....I always hope however for the national championship, one of these days...

I agree. To make the Round of 32 or, wow, the Sweet 16, that'd be frosting on the cake AND send the women to...Lexington, KY? Yikes, I'd love to see the ladies in Spokane, but that means Eugene. Hmm.

Lisa is doing a great job with recruiting and coaching. She has Top-100 girls (HoopGurlz) coming to GU every year.

4:00 pm PDT.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

We got screwed. Playing at Stanford against Stanford in a 13 v 4 game. Really?

Game day and time appears to be March 17 @ 3:00pm PDT. Not sure of this though?
    Last edited by Section 116; 03-12-2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: time change
    Every year Mark Few loses guys that you never heard of before they became a Zag and replaces them with guys you never heard of before they became a Zag. Jimmy Dykes-Maui Classic 2009

Projection from a few days ago was almost correct, but off by 1 seed line and playing Stanford in the first round instead of potentially in the 2nd round. All that said probably fine they aren't playing Missouri, they are one of the most physical teams in the country from what I've heard about them.

Actually like our Lady Zags Lexington bracket and location in Stanford.. We are use to playing in California.

I know some people may not like this but a Congrats to Kelly Graves to earning the #2 seed for the Oregon Ducks. For those buying tickets to the Spokane Regional Would be cool to see Kelly Graves playing in the Spokane Arena if that happens. I totally respect Coach Graves he put the Lady Zags on the map and set the standard which Lisa Fortier is continuing.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Projection from a few days ago was almost correct, but off by 1 seed line and playing Stanford in the first round instead of potentially in the 2nd round. All that said probably fine they aren't playing Missouri, they are one of the most physical teams in the country from what I've heard about them.
    I agree 100%. The seed sucks, but I would much rather play Stanford instead of Missouri in the first round game. From what I have seen this year, I honestly believe that the Lady Zags would have an easier (but certainly not easy) time beating Stanford than Missouri. We have no one that matches up well with 6'1" Missouri guard Sophia Cunningham. She is tall for a guard, she is muscular, loves to take it to the hoop, she plays extremely physically (Meagan McKay on steroids - loves the contact) and is one of if not the nation's best 3 pt shooters. You have to guard her inside and outside. When she is on (which is most games) Missouri is a very difficult out. If you catch Missouri on a bad shooting day (not often), they have had scoring totals in the 40's and 50's, you would have a chance.

Here is some interesting data for your consumption:

WCC champion (regular season and tourney) - Gonzaga - 27 - 5 - Tournament Seed #13
    MWC champion (regular season and tourney) - Boise State - 23-9 - Tournament Seed #16
    Big Sky champion (regular season and tourney) - Northern Colorado - 26-6 - Tournament Seed #10 (?????)

About that moving to the MWC, they got even less respect than the WCC. Maybe we should move to the Big Sky, their champion got a #10 tourney seed. Figure that one out.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 03-12-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Game day and time appears to be March 17 @ 3:00pm PDT. Not sure of this though?
    Listed on espn as a 2:30 pdt start.....

@zagdad84....Belmont 30-3 came in as a 12 seed? Also, Boise St. lost an exhibition game to Carroll College (Helena, Mt)...NAIA......though Carroll women won the frontier Conference Championship...will be in the 32 field .....Kan City I think?

Well, we beat Stanford down there last year, so just have to replicate that. I know the ladies will represent us well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo 1966;1373400@zagdad84
    ....Belmont 30-3 came in as a 12 seed? Also, Boise St. lost an exhibition game to Carroll College (Helena, Mt)...NAIA......though Carroll women won the frontier Conference Championship...will be in the 32 field .....Kan City I think?
    Kemo, I was questioning how the Big Sky got a #10 seed while Gonzaga (WCC) got a #13 seed and Boise State #16 seed. In all honesty, the Big Sky conference does not measure up to either the WCC or the MWC.

Just for giggles, I looked at where College Insiders had various mid-major teams ranked (as of March 6) and where the all-powerful committee seeded them:

Belmont (30-3) - Ranked #1, Seed #12
    Green Bay (27-3), Ranked #2, Seeded #7
    Mercer (30-2) - Ranked #3, Seeded #13
    Florida Gulf Coast (28-4) - Ranked #4, Seeded #12
    Quinnipiac (26-5) - Ranked #5, Seeded #9
    Central Michigan (25-4) - Ranked #6, Seeded #11
    South Dakota State (24-6) - Ranked #8, Seeded #8
    Gonzaga (25-5) - Ranked #10, Seeded #13
    Buffalo (25-4) - Ranked #11, Seeded #11
    Drake (23-7) - Ranked #12, Seeded #13
    Elon (22-7) - Ranked #17, Seeded #13
    Northern Colorado (22-6) - Ranked #19, Seeded #10
    American (23-6) - Ranked #20, Seeded #14
    Liberty - Ranked (Receiving Votes), Seeded #14

It appears that the coaches think much more of Belmont & Mercer and the committee thinks more of Green Bay & Northern Colorado and not much of Belmont & Mercer.

ZagDad

The WNIT brackets were released tonight as well.

It appears that only St. Mary's was selected from the WCC while four (4) teams were selected from the MWC.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Kemo, I was questioning how the Big Sky got a #10 seed while Gonzaga (WCC) got a #13 seed and Boise State #16 seed. In all honesty, the Big Sky conference does not measure up to either the WCC or the MWC.

Just for giggles, I looked at where College Insiders had various mid-major teams ranked (as of March 6) and where the all-powerful committee seeded them:

Belmont (30-3) - Ranked #1, Seed #12
    Green Bay (27-3), Ranked #2, Seeded #7
    Mercer (30-2) - Ranked #3, Seeded #13
    Florida Gulf Coast (28-4) - Ranked #4, Seeded #12
    Quinnipiac (26-5) - Ranked #5, Seeded #9
    Central Michigan (25-4) - Ranked #6, Seeded #11
    South Dakota State (24-6) - Ranked #8, Seeded #8
    Gonzaga (25-5) - Ranked #10, Seeded #13
    Buffalo (25-4) - Ranked #11, Seeded #11
    Drake (23-7) - Ranked #12, Seeded #13
    Elon (22-7) - Ranked #17, Seeded #13
    Northern Colorado (22-6) - Ranked #19, Seeded #10
    American (23-6) - Ranked #20, Seeded #14
    Liberty - Ranked (Receiving Votes), Seeded #14

It appears that the coaches think much more of Belmont & Mercer and the committee thinks more of Green Bay & Northern Colorado and not much of Belmont & Mercer.

ZagDad
    Just for those who had held out hope for an "At-Large" bid if we lost in the WCC Tourney, we had no chance. If you were a #10 seed you had an outside chance. Only those mid-majors with single digit seeds had any chance of getting an "At-Large" bid. The ladies knew they had to win and took care of business.

A great job done in Vegas, but with a few less poor loses early in the season, would make life much easier next year.

Go Zags,

ZagDad