• Feb 2007

zags 72
    uncg 61
    Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• GU69
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

GU 75-60. I hope that we run them ragged. If they want to slow things down, fast break everything and wear them down on defense. Zags will be ready.

Comment

• VinnyZag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

This game terrifies me.

Just from looking at UNCG's statistical profile, they force turnovers and make 3s. So basically their strengths align with GU's weaknesses. That strikes me as a recipe for a tense Thursday morning.

Comment

• YukonJack
          Bulldog Fan
          • Mar 2015

61-61 after regulation. Jeremy Jones wins it on a put back in OT. GU escapes 70-69.

Comment

• raise the zag
            Zag for Life
            • May 2011

a team with a 'nothing to lose' mentality is a dangerous team.

they will dribble-drive hard to the hoop, shoot at will, sacrifice fouls, or risk getting called for fouls to turn us over, or slow us down. How will they call this game? Tight or let it slide? UNCG physical defense, and gambles on defense, often.

intensity will be thru the roof. will we match theirs?

they force a ton of TO's, force nearly 16 per game. Stingy press, along with 1-2-2 half-court. They shot 300 more 3's than SMC did. 4 of their 5 starters shoot them.

Tough match-up. Tough game awaits.

66-60, we pull away in final 2 mins, due solely to their foul issues.

Get ready to Grind with Greensboro!

Comment

• Coach Crazy
              • Apr 2011

25-point win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Zagceo
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Coach Crazy View Post
                25-point win.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2007

25-point win.

Ha ha, short, sweet and to the point, love it! So much paralysis by overanalysis in this thread.

Comment

• Coach Crazy
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
                    Ha ha, short, sweet and to the point, love it! So much paralysis by overanalysis in this thread.
                    Their guards can't stay in front of someone, and their lead post player is 6-10 200 lbs. If they can put up bombs from deep, then it could a long day for us...but if that's what it would take for my team to lose, I'll take it. As well, they don't close out on 3's well, and they aren't sharp in their off-ball movement.

It really depends on which version of GU shows up...but I'll keep it at 25-point win.

Comment

• DeanSmithForever
                      Redshirt
                      • Mar 2017

Hey Guys,

Just thought I would stop by to offer a basic scouting report since UNCG is in my neck of the woods...

1. They are coached by former Roy Williams player Wes Miller, and follow a lot of UNC’s principles on offense and defense.
                      2. One difference is they like to full court and 3/4 court press their opponents, and they thrive on creating turnovers. Much Like Wes Miller when he played, their guards are surprisingly quick, very active, and they don’t tire out easily.

If you can handle a press fine, this shouldn’t be a concern. However, they took it to UNC with their tough D in a pre-season mini-game of 20 Minutes to the tune of 32-24 as the final score. It’s kind of embarrassing they beat us, but it was a preseason mini game and we have had issues playing down to competition this year.

3. They are unusually tall and capable of guarding the post for a double digit autobid tourney team. They have stopped several good bigs on multiple teams. That said, I think Gonzaga has a way better inside team than anyone they have faced.
                      4. They can be streaky from deep, but when they are on, they can really light it up from downtown. Part of the key is guarding Francis Alonso who is a tremendous three point shooter. His speciality is moving without the ball and curling around screens, etc., to get an open look from a teammate’s pass. If the three point shot is not there, he is one of those guards who puts his head down and drives to the hoop seeking out contact. He likes to get the other team’s bigs in foul trouble. Last year, I recall Gonzaga doing a terrific job stopping this curling action when UNC used it with Justin Jackson, so it may be this isn’t something the Zags will struggle with against UNCG.

If the game was OSU vs. UNCG, I would have picked UNCG for the upset.. However, this is Gonzaga. Even though you are a four seed, you are arguably the best team in the West bracket. Since they played so well for a half against UNC, I expect a close game at first, but for Gonzaga to pull away sometime in the second half for a comfortable (10+ Point) win en route to at least in an elite eight run in this year’s tourney.

Comment

• raise the zag
                        Zag for Life
                        • May 2011

Their guards can't stay in front of someone, and their lead post player is 6-10 200 lbs. If they can put up bombs from deep, then it could a long day for us...but if that's what it would take for my team to lose, I'll take it. As well, they don't close out on 3's well, and they aren't sharp in their off-ball movement.

It really depends on which version of GU shows up...but I'll keep it at 25-point win.
                        I respect ya, Coach, yet this post tell me you have not watched their game tape.

Their tallest post player is 6'10", 200 lbs, and best defender/shot blocker/rebounder, yet their 'lead' post player is 6'9", 250lbs. A good 3pt shooter too, mixes it up inside and outside.

Also, they run a 1-2-2 IF you break their press, as their press creates around 5 TO's per game, and they create nearly 16 TO's.

Their guards don't always keep in front, b/c their defense is designed to "funnel" player to their wings and bigs. Once they pack it in, they collapse on the dribble-drive. Or allow Dickey to "hunt" and "spy" them. He blocks nearly everything that comes his way.

As mentioned before UNCG picks their poison. They literally don't defend a player to allow this to occur. My guess is they won't really defend Silas. They will gamble on one guy, freeing up a defender to 'help' on every possession. No one is allowed to drive to the hoop in their offense.

Additionally, they extend their guards way out to defend the 3, another reason players get past them. Gonzaga does nearly the opposite. Although, you have to chase Alonso or he will hunt his 3pt shot all. game. long., yet that's another topic/discussion. Most teams face-guard him.

UNCG's worst loss was 12 pts. Every game is close. Win or lose. They have held (6) teams to 50 pts or under. We have done that 1 time.

They press. As much as they can get away with. We haven't done great at breaking any one this entire season. Makes zero sense, I know, given the fact every one of our bigs can handle the ball. Rui should be a press break by himself. A major flaw in our system, imho, esp a year we should destroy presses.

Their press and unique defense frustrates teams. Slows down every offensive possession. A team must be clinical, precise, and patient, unless they break the press to begin with (I'm hoping we can do).

Add to it, they have a slow, deliberate offensive tempo as well. Utilize the entire shot clock, and find ways to shoot a 3. Very USD like, but unlike Torreros, they also rebound and clean up long rebounds. To reset the clock.

The combination b/w pressing, a unique defensive half-court formation (type of swarming zone), a slow tempo leading to 3's, really take opponents out of their rhythm, game, and flow. Forcing 1 on 1 ball most times.

We have the talent to overcome this, yet will be up to the guards and bigs to keep moving without the ball, cutting, finding the man they leave open on defense (Silas? Kispert?), and break the press. Sending one guy to help is ridiculous. I understand we want our bigs to post hard and post early, we need to get Tillie and Rui in the middle and force it down their throats with them on the press. Forcing their defenders to defend.

Also to add, they play very "handsy" on defense. They gamble, take risky fouls. UNCG wants the refs to make a decision on every defensive play -- nearly the exact opposite of us. Similar to how BYU plays "physical". They will grab, push, pull, and body people up. Go for the block on every shot, etc. Not dirty, just annoying....AND that is after they press you, and AFTER they swarm you.

A 25 pt win would require us probably scoring 85 or so, which would be an incredible feat. It would mean they were forced to abandon their press, break down their 1-2-2, get their big in foul trouble, and speed them up on offense...but just hard to have enough possessions to score that many points.

Trust me, given their style of play on BOTH ends, a 10 or 12 pt win is a 25 pt win vs most teams. A double digit win is a blow-out. They play hard too. Limit possessions, dictate pace, and force teams to guard for entire shot clock, and use the entire shot clock.

Comment

• Zagceo
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2013

Version 1.5 please delete all other versions may contain virus

1.o Ohio State Texas Florida Creighton
                          1.1 Villanova North Dakota
                          1.3 San Diego State
                          1.4 SMC
                          1.5 SMC BYU

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by raise the zag View Post
                            I respect ya, Coach, yet this post tell me you have not watched their game tape.

Their tallest post player is 6'10", 200 lbs, and best defender/shot blocker/rebounder, yet their 'lead' post player is 6'9", 250lbs. A good 3pt shooter too, mixes it up inside and outside.

Also, they run a 1-2-2 IF you break their press, as their press creates around 5 TO's per game, and they create nearly 16 TO's.

Their guards don't always keep in front, b/c their defense is designed to "funnel" player to their wings and bigs. Once they pack it in, they collapse on the dribble-drive. Or allow Dickey to "hunt" and "spy" them. He blocks nearly everything that comes his way.

As mentioned before UNCG picks their poison. They literally don't defend a player to allow this to occur. My guess is they won't really defend Silas. They will gamble on one guy, freeing up a defender to 'help' on every possession. No one is allowed to drive to the hoop in their offense.

Additionally, they extend their guards way out to defend the 3, another reason players get past them. Gonzaga does nearly the opposite. Although, you have to chase Alonso or he will hunt his 3pt shot all. game. long., yet that's another topic/discussion. Most teams face-guard him.

UNCG's worst loss was 12 pts. Every game is close. Win or lose. They have held (6) teams to 50 pts or under. We have done that 1 time.

They press. As much as they can get away with. We haven't done great at breaking any one this entire season. Makes zero sense, I know, given the fact every one of our bigs can handle the ball. Rui should be a press break by himself. A major flaw in our system, imho, esp a year we should destroy presses.

Their press and unique defense frustrates teams. Slows down every offensive possession. A team must be clinical, precise, and patient, unless they break the press to begin with (I'm hoping we can do).

Add to it, they have a slow, deliberate offensive tempo as well. Utilize the entire shot clock, and find ways to shoot a 3. Very USD like, but unlike Torreros, they also rebound and clean up long rebounds. To reset the clock.

The combination b/w pressing, a unique defensive half-court formation (type of swarming zone), a slow tempo leading to 3's, really take opponents out of their rhythm, game, and flow. Forcing 1 on 1 ball most times.

We have the talent to overcome this, yet will be up to the guards and bigs to keep moving without the ball, cutting, finding the man they leave open on defense (Silas? Kispert?), and break the press. Sending one guy to help is ridiculous. I understand we want our bigs to post hard and post early, we need to get Tillie and Rui in the middle and force it down their throats with them on the press. Forcing their defenders to defend.

Also to add, they play very "handsy" on defense. They gamble, take risky fouls. UNCG wants the refs to make a decision on every defensive play -- nearly the exact opposite of us. Similar to how BYU plays "physical". They will grab, push, pull, and body people up. Go for the block on every shot, etc. Not dirty, just annoying....AND that is after they press you, and AFTER they swarm you.

A 25 pt win would require us probably scoring 85 or so, which would be an incredible feat. It would mean they were forced to abandon their press, break down their 1-2-2, get their big in foul trouble, and speed them up on offense...but just hard to have enough possessions to score that many points.

Trust me, given their style of play on BOTH ends, a 10 or 12 pt win is a 25 pt win vs most teams. A double digit win is a blow-out. They play hard too. Limit possessions, dictate pace, and force teams to guard for entire shot clock, and use the entire shot clock.
                            he said LEAD post player which is Dickey

Kuiper you are referring to is a 34% three ball shooter going 6-19 last 5 games

Wont be able to funnell and let Dickey "roam"....we will eat that up with our good big passing.....we are way to good of a passing team and have attacking guards (Norvell comes to mind) to allow this type of half court defense to impact our ability to score consistently

physical play especially out front will get them in trouble

IF You break the press.....if they are only creating 5 turnovers a game on their press that is not exactly high octane pressing...we will break the press and PUNISH them with finishes to the point that they will move to an occasional press not full time is my prediction after watching them

agree 25 point is little much IMO....I give it about a 12-15 point game
                            The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• Goshzagit
                              Zag for Life
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by DeanSmithForever View Post

If you can handle a press fine, this shouldn’t be a concern. However, they took it to UNC with their tough D in a pre-season mini-game of 20 Minutes to the tune of 32-24 as the final score. It’s kind of embarrassing they beat us, but it was a preseason mini game and we have had issues playing down to competition this year.

3. They are unusually tall and capable of guarding the post for a double digit autobid tourney team.
                              Excellent post, DSF. Thank you for the insight and share.

Greeeaaattttt....

So UNCG beat UNC in an exhibition, played #1 Virginia tight, beat NC State (who in turn beat Duke, UNC, Zona, et al, and went 11-7 in ACC), nearly [should have] beat Wake Forest (Wake shot 32 FT's & 57% from 3 to escape by 5), and feature legit bigs down low who were All-Conference. No 13 seed have three bigs over 6'9".

Not to mention, they press all game. Any team that has pressed us, mostly towards the end of game or attempting a comeback, have done so with success. Game tape.

Let's also note they have 2 guards who both shot over 200 3's. Collectively made 40%, and our 3pt defense is, well, isn't our strong suit.

And the (4) teams who slowed it down vs us this season, played tempo, and used up shot clock, played tough D, well....2 of them beat us, and the other 2 came within single digits.

Oh man.

Hey, I'm not Vegas, but this has upset written all over it.

You may sense sarcasm, yet no one is smiling here.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

The Zag staff have few peers when it comes to preparing the team for a game. I'll never forget Zach Collins' quote after the Arizona game last year. Paraphrased, Zach said there were no surprises, they knew exactly what Arizona was going to do.

As long as we stay away from "hero ball", we'll be fine. With the exception of a couple of Zach's 3 point bombs early in the shot clock, every 3 point attempt was taken within the flow of the game. Zags are adept at making that "extra pass", and the top 7 in the rotation have gotten 95% of the minutes over the past 4-6 games. Zach and Corey are no longer wide eyed freshman, but assassins on the court.

This game will be an extension of Vegas, business as usual.

Comment

Working...
                                X