Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pepperdine to hire Romar

As Zags fans i get the need to make fun of this, laugh it off, or dismiss it as "romar can't coach". The truth is though, that this is a FANTASTIC hire for Pepp as the one thing LoRo can do is RECRUIT. He has always brought in top players at UW and AZ, and i imagine he has formed some pretty good connections the past few years. My guess is he will be able to bring in high level talent right from the get go at Pepperdine. And if he does that, who cares about his x's and o's. In the WCC if you have a roster full of high level talent you will win lots of games, regardless.

Romar got plenty of blue chippers at UW. Most on this board give him absolutely no credit for what he got out of players like Bobby Jones, Justin Holiday, Justin Dentmon, C.J. Wilcox, Will Conroy, Mike Jensen, Tre Simmons, etc. etc. etc. Even Isaiah Thomas. He got some 3 star or even lower guys that went on to be all conference and several have had lengthy stays in the NBA. He's either EXTREMELY lucky, or he's better at developing talent than the vast majority of GU posters will ever give him credit for.

Anyway, my point is that if he can get some under the radar 3 star guys at Pepperdine, the same type of guys that became productive players at UW when they were challenging for Pac 10/12 titles, there's no reason at all he can't have the Waves consistently in the upper half of the WCC.

Ken Bone

@Ken_Bone
    Follow Follow @Ken_Bone
    More
    Seriously, I’m back again! Excited to be a part of Pepperdine basketball. #WavesUp

9:50 AM - 13 Mar 2018

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Romar got plenty of blue chippers at UW. Most on this board give him absolutely no credit for what he got out of players like Bobby Jones, Justin Holiday, Justin Dentmon, C.J. Wilcox, Will Conroy, Mike Jensen, Tre Simmons, etc. etc. etc. Even Isaiah Thomas. He got some 3 star or even lower guys that went on to be all conference and several have had lengthy stays in the NBA. He's either EXTREMELY lucky, or he's better at developing talent than the vast majority of GU posters will ever give him credit for.

Anyway, my point is that if he can get some under the radar 3 star guys at Pepperdine, the same type of guys that became productive players at UW when they were challenging for Pac 10/12 titles, there's no reason at all he can't have the Waves consistently in the upper half of the WCC.
    lets hope so

meanwhile lets also hope that he is not heavily engaged in the off season with depositions and interviews with the FBI

His recruiting was tied to the 206 area code and heavily influenced by local coaching to provide the pipeline to the only Major university in the entire west side of the mountains ...not sure that same formula exists in Los Angeles.....but we shall see

And all the recruits his game X and O was terrible so that still plays into moving up and challenging for top tier in a conference no matter which conference

Guess we shall see
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    lets hope so

meanwhile lets also hope that he is not heavily engaged in the off season with depositions and interviews with the FBI

His recruiting was tied to the 206 area code and heavily influenced by local coaching to provide the pipeline to the only Major university in the entire west side of the mountains ...not sure that same formula exists in Los Angeles.....but we shall see

And all the recruits his game X and O was terrible so that still plays into moving up and challenging for top tier in a conference no matter which conference

Guess we shall see
    Of the guys I listed Jones and Holiday were from California. Everybody in the Pac 12 recruits in California, so I'm sure he's got connections there. Wilcox was from Utah I think. He pulled a few guys from Missouri. I think Dentmon was from Illinois. The 206 was definitely his biggest recruiting base but he got players from all over.

Very good....they will bring a lot to Pepperdine and to the WCC...

Also hiring Reggie Morris-- a high school coach that has connections for days in the LA area. Bone, Romar, and Morris--- thats a recruiting all star team in the WCC.

Prediction: Pepperdine is in the top 3 in the conference within 3 years.

Will Pepperdine finally invest in this long awaited new gym that they denied the previous coach?

I suspect most of these coaches will be gone to high major jobs (even as assistants) by the time the doors open.