Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Tillie and Rui pro scouting

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    64

    Default Tillie and Rui pro scouting

    Pretty interesting analysis of Rui and Tillie from Sam Vecenie on his podcast. According to Sam, Rui informed him he plans on returning next year. Starts at approx 33 min mark
    https://t.co/rqbaZFaPwl

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    Thanks!!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

    ~ Desiderius Erasmus

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OCzag View Post
    Pretty interesting analysis of Rui and Tillie from Sam Vecenie on his podcast. According to Sam, Rui informed him he plans on returning next year. Starts at approx 33 min mark
    https://t.co/rqbaZFaPwl
    That’s great news! Has a shot at All American next season imo.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,722

    Default

    If true that’s great news. Maybe a guard grad transfer next (if Perkins gone)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    That’s great news! Has a shot at All American next season imo.
    Pretty certain everyone on the board, including the 'insiders', have stated and expected Rui to return next season.

    There have been a couple of WHAT IF's, yet only heard about him returning.

    Tillie, on the other hand, has been the opposite.

    Seem like he was expected to leave before the season began. Pretty consistent message here...he is making plans to declare unless something unexpected occurs, or feedback isn't what he hopes for.

    Would love to see them both return.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post

    Seem like he was expected to leave before the season began. Pretty consistent message here...he is making plans to declare unless something unexpected occurs, or feedback isn't what he hopes for.

    Would love to see them both return.
    I would like to see Tillie return, but if Tillie gets feedback similar to what Sam is saying, he’s gone and he should leave. If a team takes him in the first round, I don’t see Tillie materially improving his stock by returning. I generally like Sam’s stuff, but I think he may be ranking Tillie a little higher than what pro teams have.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OCzag View Post
    I would like to see Tillie return, but if Tillie gets feedback similar to what Sam is saying, he’s gone and he should leave. If a team takes him in the first round, I don’t see Tillie materially improving his stock by returning. I generally like Sam’s stuff, but I think he may be ranking Tillie a little higher than what pro teams have.
    I'm leaning a bit in the opposite direction: there are times when a young man finally "gets it", and I think Killian just "got it": he's heard from others about how he disappears during games, the motor's not always running, etc. Sure, he'll need to get stronger, but that will come naturally. His performance during the WCC tournament was like a Kevin Durant starter kit. On the right team, the right system, Killian will be a great fit...next year.

    OTOH, I'd love to see him return. I hate to do it, but this team could have also had Sabonis, Nigel, and Zach Collins on it. However, it opened up minutes for everyone in the 7 man rotation, and I like how we've come together.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    17,835

    Default

    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...his-grizzlies/

    30 team logo WARRIORS
    Killian Tillie | Gonzaga | Soph. | SF
    Tillie is the latest Gonzaga frontcourt player to develop into a possible first-round pick, thanks to the fact that he's a 6-10 sophomore who is shooting 50.0 percent from 3-point range. The French import made 13 of 14 3-point attempts in three games during the West Coast Conference Tournament. He helped the Zags win 30 games for the third time in four years.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,534

    Default

    Well that's good news that Rui himself confirmed that he's staying, there's been a ton of ESPN hype about him, Caron Butler keeps saying he should come out. So if Rui stays, we know for sure that ZN and CK are back, Perks is up in the air and Tillie looks like he's a heavy lean to leave. Yeah, grad transfers may seem like a real possibility again. Anyone know who's out there?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Well that's good news that Rui himself confirmed that he's staying, there's been a ton of ESPN hype about him, Caron Butler keeps saying he should come out. So if Rui stays, we know for sure that ZN and CK are back, Perks is up in the air and Tillie looks like he's a heavy lean to leave. Yeah, grad transfers may seem like a real possibility again. Anyone know who's out there?
    Caron Butler continually says, "He should come out", like his stock is at its highest peak and he won't improve by staying...or doesn't have much to improve upon.

    I couldn't disagree more with him.

    If/when talking about NWG, sure, even Zach Collins to an extent.

    Rui is primed to dominate on many levels, not to mention a progression of rapid improvement. He is 6'8", 235lbs, and body control of an athletic 6'1" guard.

    He is JUST now beginning to understand bball terms and coaching.

    His 19 yr old frame is only going to get stronger, more in control, improved.

    Adding a 3pt shot, at least low 30%, could increase his stock ten fold alone. Showing more versatility in defending more positions, switches, etc. Being a go-to player.

    Rui's ceiling this year is a mid-1st Rd pick, more likely late-1st or early-2nd.

    As a Top-20 player next season in College hoops, he could begin exploring a 3pt shot, more time with ball in his hands, dominate defensively, and really develop into a Top-5 esque pick. A shorter Giannis Antetokounmpo in the making.

    I believe he has that ability, especially showing his incredible development over this season.

    not to mention, his emotional maturity and feeling comfortable outside Gonzaga's campus is part of learning to be a full-time NBA player.

    Tillie is in between -- he can add muscle, some lateral quickness, defend better vs penetration, and show off consistency game to game, yet he is already a late-1st Rd pick with a ceiling of late lottery +/- 5 or 10 picks. Rui has ability to jump 20+ picks if he stays next season (injuries withstanding of course)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Caron Butler continually says, "He should come out", like his stock is at its highest peak and he won't improve by staying...or doesn't have much to improve upon.

    I couldn't disagree more with him.

    If/when talking about NWG, sure, even Zach Collins to an extent.

    Rui is primed to dominate on many levels, not to mention a progression of rapid improvement. He is 6'8", 235lbs, and body control of an athletic 6'1" guard.

    He is JUST now beginning to understand bball terms and coaching.

    His 19 yr old frame is only going to get stronger, more in control, improved.

    Adding a 3pt shot, at least low 30%, could increase his stock ten fold alone. Showing more versatility in defending more positions, switches, etc.

    Rui's ceiling this year is a mid-1st Rd pick, more likely late-1st or early-2nd.

    As a Top-20 player next season in College hoops, he could begin exploring a 3pt shot, more time with ball in his hands, dominate defensively, and really develop into a Top-5 type pick.

    I believe he has that ability, especially showing his incredible development over this season.

    not to mention, his emotional maturity and feeling comfortable outside Gonzaga's campus is part of learning to be a full-time NBA player.

    Tillie is in between -- he can add muscle, some lateral quickness, defend better vs penetration, and show off consistency game to game, yet he is already a late-1st Rd pick with a ceiling of late lottery +/- 5 or 10 picks. Rui has ability to jump 20+ picks if he stays next season (injuries withstanding of course)
    Rui will get drafted this year based on potential if he chose to come out. Next year, if he works on adding a little height to his 3 ball, he should be top 10.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    If true that’s great news. Maybe a guard grad transfer next (if Perkins gone)
    Where did we hear that Perkins might leave early? Just curious because I hadn’t seen that yet

  13. #13

    Default

    Tillie is gone.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt
    Posts
    701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    Tillie is gone.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Playing in U19s last summer was probably tipping point. Arguably the best player on the team and he was the only one not earning a paycheck for playing basketball..

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I'm leaning a bit in the opposite direction: there are times when a young man finally "gets it", and I think Killian just "got it": he's heard from others about how he disappears during games, the motor's not always running, etc. Sure, he'll need to get stronger, but that will come naturally. His performance during the WCC tournament was like a Kevin Durant starter kit. On the right team, the right system, Killian will be a great fit...next year.

    OTOH, I'd love to see him return. I hate to do it, but this team could have also had Sabonis, Nigel, and Zach Collins on it. However, it opened up minutes for everyone in the 7 man rotation, and I like how we've come together.
    As the Fiddler says, "On the other hand... There is no other hand!"
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GUZag08 View Post
    Where did we hear that Perkins might leave early? Just curious because I hadn’t seen that yet
    Rumor generated on the board. Kinda like a self licking ice cream cone.

    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    OTOH, I'd love to see him return. I hate to do it, but this team could have also had Sabonis, Nigel, and Zach Collins on it. However, it opened up minutes for everyone in the 7 man rotation, and I like how we've come together.
    So...Nigel Tillie, Rui, Sabonis and Collins.

    Who plays the 2 and who plays the 3, not even discussing the 4 & 5. Only set player is NWG.
    It's not funny.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    So...Nigel Tillie, Rui, Sabonis and Collins.

    Who plays the 2 and who plays the 3, not even discussing the 4 & 5. Only set player is NWG.
    The Bonus plays wherever he wants.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,921

    Default

    If Tillie is motivated to go pro, that's a great thing imo. With his shooting, he's reminding me of what Tyler Dorsey did for Oregon last year, scoring over 20 in all of the Ducks' last 8 games or so, and earning the nickname of "Mr March" from Duck fans. Like Tillie, he was said to not care for school, and w/ his mother's Greek citizenship, was in position to play in Greece if the NBA didn't happen. (Second round pick; scored 18 for Atlanta the other night.) He went off in the postseason, helping get the Ducks to an unexpected final 4 as a 3 seed playing almost a true road game v Kansas.

    Tillie is looking like he could do the same for the Zags this year if he keeps playing like this. And the Zags have replacements for him on the way; win/win.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    If Tillie is motivated to go pro, that's a great thing imo. With his shooting, he's reminding me of what Tyler Dorsey did for Oregon last year, scoring over 20 in all of the Ducks' last 8 games or so, and earning the nickname of "Mr March" from Duck fans. Like Tillie, he was said to not care for school, and w/ his mother's Greek citizenship, was in position to play in Greece if the NBA didn't happen. (Second round pick; scored 18 for Atlanta the other night.) He went off in the postseason, helping get the Ducks to an unexpected final 4 as a 3 seed playing almost a true road game v Kansas.

    Tillie is looking like he could do the same for the Zags this year if he keeps playing like this. And the Zags have replacements for him on the way; win/win.
    If he's not into the school aspect and can get a low-first round selection...then it's a no-brainer. The bolded part is actually a huge factor for me. I want to see Larsen and Petrusev gets some time together.

    Plus, it is yet one more GU big that is going to the NBA. We can point to KT and tell a recruit "That kid was injured, and we helped get him healthy, up to speed, and into a 2-and-done career. You like the NBA? We can get you there as fast as you're capable...". Anything that helps of lure Luka Samanic, as well.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,326

    Default

    Mark Few doesn't tell an ESPN crew in Vegas that Rui is too raw for the NBA and that everyone needs to hit the slow down button when it comes to him unless he 100% knows he's coming back. His English skills are not where they need to be either. I cannot recall Few ever saying that about one of his NBA prospects. I don't think he would say that unless he 100% knew Rui was coming back.

    Unless Tillie blows up in the NCAA tournament like Collins did - which means that GU will likely go on a big run- I still don't feel he leaves. At this time last season, Collins was a back end first rounder on reputable recruiting sites (nbadraft.net is not a reputable recruiting site. It should be removed from the internet due to their history of bad mocks and player evaluations). With each round, Collins creeped up more and more. By the final 4 he was lottery or close to it. The combine sealed the deal. It will be interesting to monitor the ESPN folks with each round that GU plays. Hopefully more than one.

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Mark Few doesn't tell an ESPN crew in Vegas that Rui is too raw for the NBA and that everyone needs to hit the slow down button when it comes to him unless he 100% knows he's coming back. His English skills are not where they need to be either. I cannot recall Few ever saying that about one of his NBA prospects. I don't think he would say that unless he 100% knew Rui was coming back.

    Unless Tillie blows up in the NCAA tournament like Collins did - which means that GU will likely go on a big run- I still don't feel he leaves. At this time last season, Collins was a back end first rounder on reputable recruiting sites (nbadraft.net is not a reputable recruiting site. It should be removed from the internet due to their history of bad mocks and player evaluations). With each round, Collins creeped up more and more. By the final 4 he was lottery or close to it. The combine sealed the deal. It will be interesting to monitor the ESPN folks with each round that GU plays. Hopefully more than one.
    Collins was more confirm-able as the draft went on. He was far deeper into the first round than that before the tournament. Givony isn't much of an evaluator. Advanced metrics (including Synergy stats) were tripping some serious tells about this kid, even during the regular season.
    Last edited by Coach Crazy; 03-10-2018 at 09:24 PM.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Caron Butler continually says, "He should come out", like his stock is at its highest peak and he won't improve by staying...or doesn't have much to improve upon.

    I couldn't disagree more with him.

    If/when talking about NWG, sure, even Zach Collins to an extent.

    Rui is primed to dominate on many levels, not to mention a progression of rapid improvement. He is 6'8", 235lbs, and body control of an athletic 6'1" guard.

    He is JUST now beginning to understand bball terms and coaching.

    His 19 yr old frame is only going to get stronger, more in control, improved.

    Adding a 3pt shot, at least low 30%, could increase his stock ten fold alone. Showing more versatility in defending more positions, switches, etc. Being a go-to player.

    Rui's ceiling this year is a mid-1st Rd pick, more likely late-1st or early-2nd.

    As a Top-20 player next season in College hoops, he could begin exploring a 3pt shot, more time with ball in his hands, dominate defensively, and really develop into a Top-5 esque pick. A shorter Giannis Antetokounmpo in the making.

    I believe he has that ability, especially showing his incredible development over this season.

    not to mention, his emotional maturity and feeling comfortable outside Gonzaga's campus is part of learning to be a full-time NBA player.

    Tillie is in between -- he can add muscle, some lateral quickness, defend better vs penetration, and show off consistency game to game, yet he is already a late-1st Rd pick with a ceiling of late lottery +/- 5 or 10 picks. Rui has ability to jump 20+ picks if he stays next season (injuries withstanding of course)
    Not sure if it would be a net positive in regards to development if he stayed another year, but he seems to be "fragile" and this might be a significant reason for him to start making money.
    Last edited by spike_jr; 03-10-2018 at 09:48 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •