• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Not a "no brainer" the Big East would be a "no brainer" but Gonzaga in the WCC is akin to Villanova playing in the Patriot League. The MWC is an upgrade. And the MWC with Gonzaga will be on ESPN, you have nothing to worry about there.
    Villanova would be among the lowest rated academic schools in the Patriot Lg. And Nova is a darn good school. Facts elude you.

Comment

• HillZag
      Kennel Club Material
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
      We could not disagree more. Part of what attracted me to GU in the first place as a fan is it's strong academics. For alumni, the value of their degree is directly affected by the perceived current quality of the academics at their alma mater. If a GU degree was a common stock, a move to the MWC would immediately drop the value of the stock. OTOH, a trip to the F4 and a Top 10 rank are plusses. So the brass at GU are involved in weighing and balancing all these and statements like yours are ay outside the pale.
      Extremely well stated.
      "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
        Banned
        • Feb 2007

We could not disagree more. Part of what attracted me to GU in the first place as a fan is it's strong academics. For alumni, the value of their degree is directly affected by the perceived current quality of the academics at their alma mater. If a GU degree was a common stock, a move to the MWC would immediately drop the value of the stock. OTOH, a trip to the F4 and a Top 10 rank are plusses. So the brass at GU are involved in weighing and balancing all these and statements like yours are ay outside the pale.
        Cool. What attracted me to GU back in '98 was their scrappy, chip on the shoulder, "us against the world" mentality. Never gave one thought to the academics. All undergrad programs teach the same thing, you're just paying for name, reputation and prestige. My school, Furman is now something like $65k year, that's a flipping joke, but you're paying for the name and connections, they didn't teach me something mystical from a Sherpa on the top of the Himalayas, they taught me the same things that would be taught at any other school. I don't know what this means though: are ay outside the pale

Comment

• Gonzagit
          Kennel Club Material
          • Nov 2017

Vanderbilt is in the SEC - a conference riddled with shaky academic institutions. Does anyone think any less of Vanderbilt's academics or standing because of this? NO (And I'm an alumn). This a dumb topic - move on.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
            Banned
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by SWZag View Post
            Possibly because more to life than basketball and that most student athletes don't go on to make money in a given sport? Gonzaga has a long list of former student athletes that have become respectable in other walks of life, other than the sport they partook in. Yes, quality of education should be a HUGE part of any fan.
            Who's arguing to the contrary? But we're on a message board of a top 10 mens basketball team, not the debate team.

Comment

• Kong-Kool-Aid
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
              Who's arguing to the contrary? But we're on a message board of a top 10 mens COLLEGE basketball team, not the debate team.
              Fixed it for you, as you seem to be missing the point

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                Banned
                • Feb 2007

Villanova would be among the lowest rated academic schools in the Patriot Lg. And Nova is a darn good school. Facts elude you.
                I couldn't care less. If I were a Nova fan I would care that my conference mates in the patriot League were keeping me down.

Comment

• HillZag
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Sep 2013

In this instance, way outside the pale means that you clearly aren't grasping the gravitas of the plain fact that academics do matter, and are being considered.
                  "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
                    Fixed it for you, as you seem to be missing the point
                    I didn't need it to be fixed, if you didn't know that Gonzaga was a college program and not a professional team then you're too daft to even use a keyboard to type your thoughts. Can you show me your posts on the Gonzaga debate team forum?

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Gonzagit View Post
                      Vanderbilt is in the SEC - a conference riddled with shaky academic institutions. Does anyone think any less of Vanderbilt's academics or standing because of this? NO (And I'm an alumn). This a dumb topic - move on.
                      Whoa. Love GU but it's no Vandy; nor is it Stanford or Northwestern. Those 3 are blue chip, well endowed private multiversities that somehow landed in those largely state school conferences decades ago and yes stand out on all counts. Apples and Empire State Bldgs.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HillZag View Post
                        In this instance, way outside the pale means that you clearly aren't grasping the gravitas of the plain fact that academics do matter, and are being considered.
                        Gonzaga will not lose their academic standing by switching their conference affiliation. There's a lot of condescending elitism going on in this thread.

Comment

• Zagceo
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2013

So some see it OK to play games against MWC teams....just don't get to close..might catch a "Academic cold"....

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Gonzagit View Post
                            Great school and good point! There's a lot of snootiness going on in this thread, sadly.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
                              So some see it OK to play games against MWC teams....just don't get to close..might catch a "Academic cold"....
                              Bingo!

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                                Banned
                                • Feb 2007

Whoa. Love GU but it's no Vandy; nor is it Stanford or Northwestern. Those 3 are blue chip multiversities that somehow landed in those largely state school conferences decades ago and yes stand out on all counts. Apples and Empire State Bldgs.
                                Ok, let's say Vandy was in the SoCon and the chance to join the SEC was offered. What do you think they'd do?

Comment

Working...
                                X