Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WCC vs. MWC Academics

Quote Originally Posted by HillZag View Post
    In this instance, way outside the pale means that you clearly aren't grasping the gravitas of the plain fact that academics do matter, and are being considered.
    Gonzaga will not lose their academic standing by switching their conference affiliation. There's a lot of condescending elitism going on in this thread.

So some see it OK to play games against MWC teams....just don't get to close..might catch a "Academic cold"....

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    Vanderbilt is in the SEC - a conference riddled with shaky academic institutions. Does anyone think any less of Vanderbilt's academics or standing because of this? NO (And I'm an alumn). This a dumb topic - move on.
    Great school and good point! There's a lot of snootiness going on in this thread, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    So some see it OK to play games against MWC teams....just don't get to close..might catch a "Academic cold"....
    Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Whoa. Love GU but it's no Vandy; nor is it Stanford or Northwestern. Those 3 are blue chip multiversities that somehow landed in those largely state school conferences decades ago and yes stand out on all counts. Apples and Empire State Bldgs.
    Ok, let's say Vandy was in the SoCon and the chance to join the SEC was offered. What do you think they'd do?

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    I didn't need it to be fixed, if you didn't know that Gonzaga was a college program and not a professional team then you're too daft to even use a keyboard to type your thoughts. Can you show me your posts on the Gonzaga debate team forum?
    Honestly, you are condescending and annoying.

I think I've politely stated now that this decision for many people is about more than just basketball because it effects more than just basketball.

It feels like you are being purposely obtuse and combative, if you don't care about the School other than the basketball program that is your prerogative.

But there are a good number of people who do care about the bigger picture. Sorry you don't get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post

I think I've politely stated now that this decision for many people is about more than just basketball because it effects more than just basketball.

It feels like you are being purposely obtuse and combative, if you don't care about the School other than the basketball program that is your prerogative.

But there are a good number of people who do care about the bigger picture. Sorry you don't get that.
    Thank you. It doesn't appear he is interested in engaging in a serious discussion.
    "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

You're known by the company you keep. Not by who you meet on the subway.

Thank you. It doesn't appear he is interested in engaging in a serious discussion.
    Translation: "he doesn't agree with me and that's just not fair!"

Don't associate with the under educated....it looks bad for my framed diploma.

Careful on that high horse

Don't associate with the under educated....it looks bad for my framed diploma.

Careful on that high horse
    I did go to Furman, not sure if that's "under-educated" or not compared to GU because I don't care enough to look.

You're known by the company you keep. Not by who you meet on the subway.
    What?!?!? You have many issues that have been made abundantly clear on this board throughout the years, but I never thought that elitist snob was one of them.

Translation: "he doesn't agree with me and that's just not fair!"
    Res Ipsa.
    "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

Res Ipsa.
    23 posts in 2 day been a member of the forum for 5 years....1 issue guboards Fan

Looks like not all schools are equal academically ......

I see no worthwhile need to group athletic conferences by academic standards. Frankly, I see greater social/educational benefits to integrate rather than segregate by academic standards.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

What?!?!? You have many issues that have been made abundantly clear on this board throughout the years, but I never thought that elitist snob was one of them.
    Live and learn.

Live and learn.
    ha! At least you're not in denial.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post

I see no worthwhile need to group athletic conferences by academic standards. Frankly, I see greater social/educational benefits to integrate rather than segregate by academic standards.
    now thats open minded and "liberal arts" minded attitude to take

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post

But lest we allow the MWC "undesirables" contaminate us.

Average number of football players on a college roster is 118 players --- that is a large number additional students to take into account for the MWC schools academics-- not saying that all football players are not on the deans list-- but that is a big piece of the academic disparity.

Whoa. Love GU but it's no Vandy; nor is it Stanford or Northwestern. Those 3 are blue chip, well endowed private multiversities that somehow landed in those largely state school conferences decades ago and yes stand out on all counts. Apples and Empire State Bldgs.

Never said it was..... I am also guessing by all your responses and opinions that you didn't even attend GU. So almost impossible for you to speak on this.

And now, for something completely different...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHJ8f3okrI8
    This ain't rocket surgery!

Spy, by my calculations you need approximately 130 more posts to move up a seed line.

Get busy!!

(edit to add: not sure however if there are some above you that are deemed not eligible based on their absence)
    This ain't rocket surgery!

And ultimately that shows, you've made it clear over and over again you think this is a no brainer. The thing is there are many of us who are looking at this beyond Men's Basketball. (Yes of course it's a factor).

Many in the community want to see a move that benefits all of our programs, that allows the best opportunities for all of our athletes, that allows Gonzaga as an institution to be associated with like-minded schools, be it through academics or spirituality.

Or maybe something as simple as being able to go to Zags games when they are playing in our home town (in the WCC footprint), or perhaps being able to watch Gonzaga semi regularly on ESPN because we've never even realized there is a MW channel or what channel CBSSN is on, and do we get that?

You've made it clear, to you this is about basketball.
    I think it's about more.
    For some silly reason, I thought these were athletic conferences. If this is the case--and while I understand that there are clear cases (as evidenced herein) where schools are associated with their conference members--then the focus of realignment should be athletics. And it's not a zero-sum game. For an athletic conference to concern itself with sport primarily, doesn't rule out the conference trying to further academic excellence (to the extent they can).

Whoa. Love GU but it's no Vandy; nor is it Stanford or Northwestern. Those 3 are blue chip, well endowed private multiversities that somehow landed in those largely state school conferences decades ago and yes stand out on all counts. Apples and Empire State Bldgs.
    agreed----love me some GU -------but varsity vs. JV