Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WCC vs. MWC Academics

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    We could not disagree more. Part of what attracted me to GU in the first place as a fan is it's strong academics. For alumni, the value of their degree is directly affected by the perceived current quality of the academics at their alma mater. If a GU degree was a common stock, a move to the MWC would immediately drop the value of the stock. OTOH, a trip to the F4 and a Top 10 rank are plusses. So the brass at GU are involved in weighing and balancing all these and statements like yours are way outside the pale.
    While I like the MWC for basketball, this perfectly illustrates my hesitancy on abandoning the WCC. GUs association with other top academic west coast universities is worth something, in my mind.

I don't want any association with those Mountain West Schools.....embarrassing ;.....I am under the impression that Gonzaga's academic metrics for athletes are comparable with Harvard's......

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Why do you as a fan care? I couldn't care less of the academic standing of the school that I root for. I don't root for the debate team. I think it's just for show and bragging rights.
    I care as a fan and as a GU grad. No judgment of folks who view it only in terms of their favorite basketball team. Hillzag raises a valid discussion point, especially for those with GU diplomas ( or tuition checks written for same on behalf of relatives )

My pride in being a GU alum is based on what the four years there did for me as a person and the lifetime's worth of benefits that experience has brought.

When Josh and Theo had their "midnight ride" in 2007, I felt more of a sting as a GU alum than the sting I felt as a GU hoops fan. I addressed it at the time on this forum, and excerpt part of my remarks blow:

Hoops hope and the basketball team’s wonderful run of success have built the MAC, paved the way for successful fund-raising, and made GU more than a regional standout on U.S. News & World Report’s annual rankings report. I’ll wager the bookstore’s sold more logo hats, sweats, and T-shirts than books in the last five to seven years.

Hoops and hope took a body blow yesterday, but not a knock-out punch. The legal and disciplinary aspects of this incident will pass in relatively short order. The damage to Gonzaga’s basketball program reputation will take longer to mend.

No matter how many student athletes receive academic All-American awards, no matter the tens of thousands of volunteer hours of service outreach performed by GU students in the community, yesterday’s news cycle proved behaviors of the few can quickly alter perceptions of the many.

One hopes not to be painted with such a broad brush but there’s little to do except keep one’s chin up and remain proud of the good things and good people that make Gonzaga University and the greater community of friends, alumni, and supporters special. No tabloid sensation can take that away. Not now, not ever.
    I'll contend a "fan"of the program wouldn't have felt the same angst as a GU grad. And some GU grad's won't necessarily consider a move to the MW a slam dunk.

My hope is the GU authorities will do what is best for the school. All the better if it is the best for the athletic department too.

Enjoy your Friday nights and the build-up to Selection Sunday

Best,

Reno
    Last edited by RenoZag; 03-09-2018 at 06:19 PM.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I don't want any association with those Mountain West Schools.....embarrassing ;.....I am under the impression that Gonzaga's academic metrics for athletes are comparable with Harvard's......
    You already made this clear when you said they were loaded with rednecks..........yeah.....no snobby elitism here.........

Quote Originally Posted by realtydog View Post
    You already made this clear when you said they were loaded with rednecks..........yeah.....no snobby elitism here.........
    You seems angry and troubled....I want you to know that I love you and I want you to get well.....see your doctor, it might be as simple as a prescription....in the meant time, try decaf.....take the dog for a walk....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    You seems angry and troubled....I want you to know that I love you and I want you to get well.....see your doctor, it might be as simple as a prescription....in the meant time, try decaf.....take the dog for a walk....
    You call people rednecks and embarrassing and accuse others of seeming “angry and troubled”....tell them you love them and hope they get well...wow....self projection alert.

It’s a conference for sports not some private golf club in Augusta we’re vetting!

Parents & alums care about the academics of the school, not the conference. Fans can’t view the academics on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Careful on that high horse
    23 posts in 2 day been a member of the forum for 5 years....1 issue guboards Fan

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek

You call people rednecks and embarrassing and accuse others of seeming “angry and troubled”....tell them you love them and hope they get well...wow....self projection alert.

It’s a conference for sports not some private golf club in Augusta we’re vetting!
    Self projection indeed.....SJW who has not been able to deal with life since Nov. 2016

Good luck in your treatment Bart.........so much hate and bigotry you have
    Go zags

Well ok....but if you or Ceo ever catch on fire.....don't look to me for help....

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Yes it does, that's exactly what it does. They put athletics above academics.
    Similar to you.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time