• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gonzagit
    Kennel Club Material
    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Whoa. Love GU but it's no Vandy; nor is it Stanford or Northwestern. Those 3 are blue chip, well endowed private multiversities that somehow landed in those largely state school conferences decades ago and yes stand out on all counts. Apples and Empire State Bldgs.

Never said it was..... I am also guessing by all your responses and opinions that you didn't even attend GU. So almost impossible for you to speak on this.

Comment

• sittingon50
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

And now, for something completely different...

Low quality clip from "And now for something completely different". One of my absolute favorites. It never fails to get a smile or a laugh. Fantastic showing...
      But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• sittingon50
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Spy, by my calculations you need approximately 130 more posts to move up a seed line.

Get busy!!

(edit to add: not sure however if there are some above you that are deemed not eligible based on their absence)
        But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• TexasZag
          Kennel Club Material
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
          And ultimately that shows, you've made it clear over and over again you think this is a no brainer. The thing is there are many of us who are looking at this beyond Men's Basketball. (Yes of course it's a factor).

Many in the community want to see a move that benefits all of our programs, that allows the best opportunities for all of our athletes, that allows Gonzaga as an institution to be associated with like-minded schools, be it through academics or spirituality.

Or maybe something as simple as being able to go to Zags games when they are playing in our home town (in the WCC footprint), or perhaps being able to watch Gonzaga semi regularly on ESPN because we've never even realized there is a MW channel or what channel CBSSN is on, and do we get that?

You've made it clear, to you this is about basketball.
          I think it's about more.
          For some silly reason, I thought these were athletic conferences. If this is the case--and while I understand that there are clear cases (as evidenced herein) where schools are associated with their conference members--then the focus of realignment should be athletics. And it's not a zero-sum game. For an athletic conference to concern itself with sport primarily, doesn't rule out the conference trying to further academic excellence (to the extent they can).

Comment

• realtydog
            Kennel Club
            • Feb 2007

Whoa. Love GU but it's no Vandy; nor is it Stanford or Northwestern. Those 3 are blue chip, well endowed private multiversities that somehow landed in those largely state school conferences decades ago and yes stand out on all counts. Apples and Empire State Bldgs.
            agreed----love me some GU -------but varsity vs. JV

Comment

• Ekrub
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2009

We could not disagree more. Part of what attracted me to GU in the first place as a fan is it's strong academics. For alumni, the value of their degree is directly affected by the perceived current quality of the academics at their alma mater. If a GU degree was a common stock, a move to the MWC would immediately drop the value of the stock. OTOH, a trip to the F4 and a Top 10 rank are plusses. So the brass at GU are involved in weighing and balancing all these and statements like yours are way outside the pale.
              While I like the MWC for basketball, this perfectly illustrates my hesitancy on abandoning the WCC. GUs association with other top academic west coast universities is worth something, in my mind.

Comment

• bartruff1
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2010

I don't want any association with those Mountain West Schools.....embarrassing ;.....I am under the impression that Gonzaga's academic metrics for athletes are comparable with Harvard's......

Comment

• RenoZag
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
                  Why do you as a fan care? I couldn't care less of the academic standing of the school that I root for. I don't root for the debate team. I think it's just for show and bragging rights.
                  I care as a fan and as a GU grad. No judgment of folks who view it only in terms of their favorite basketball team. Hillzag raises a valid discussion point, especially for those with GU diplomas ( or tuition checks written for same on behalf of relatives )

My pride in being a GU alum is based on what the four years there did for me as a person and the lifetime's worth of benefits that experience has brought.

When Josh and Theo had their "midnight ride" in 2007, I felt more of a sting as a GU alum than the sting I felt as a GU hoops fan. I addressed it at the time on this forum, and excerpt part of my remarks blow:

Hoops hope and the basketball team’s wonderful run of success have built the MAC, paved the way for successful fund-raising, and made GU more than a regional standout on U.S. News & World Report’s annual rankings report. I’ll wager the bookstore’s sold more logo hats, sweats, and T-shirts than books in the last five to seven years.

Hoops and hope took a body blow yesterday, but not a knock-out punch. The legal and disciplinary aspects of this incident will pass in relatively short order. The damage to Gonzaga’s basketball program reputation will take longer to mend.

No matter how many student athletes receive academic All-American awards, no matter the tens of thousands of volunteer hours of service outreach performed by GU students in the community, yesterday’s news cycle proved behaviors of the few can quickly alter perceptions of the many.

One hopes not to be painted with such a broad brush but there’s little to do except keep one’s chin up and remain proud of the good things and good people that make Gonzaga University and the greater community of friends, alumni, and supporters special. No tabloid sensation can take that away. Not now, not ever.
                  I'll contend a "fan"of the program wouldn't have felt the same angst as a GU grad. And some GU grad's won't necessarily consider a move to the MW a slam dunk.

My hope is the GU authorities will do what is best for the school. All the better if it is the best for the athletic department too.

Enjoy your Friday nights and the build-up to Selection Sunday

Best,

Reno
                  Last edited by RenoZag; 03-09-2018, 06:19 PM.
                  The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• realtydog
                    Kennel Club
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                    I don't want any association with those Mountain West Schools.....embarrassing ;.....I am under the impression that Gonzaga's academic metrics for athletes are comparable with Harvard's......
                    You already made this clear when you said they were loaded with rednecks..........yeah.....no snobby elitism here.........

Comment

• bartruff1
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by realtydog View Post
                      You already made this clear when you said they were loaded with rednecks..........yeah.....no snobby elitism here.........
                      You seems angry and troubled....I want you to know that I love you and I want you to get well.....see your doctor, it might be as simple as a prescription....in the meant time, try decaf.....take the dog for a walk....

Comment

• Zagceo
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                        You seems angry and troubled....I want you to know that I love you and I want you to get well.....see your doctor, it might be as simple as a prescription....in the meant time, try decaf.....take the dog for a walk....
                        You call people rednecks and embarrassing and accuse others of seeming “angry and troubled”....tell them you love them and hope they get well...wow....self projection alert.

It’s a conference for sports not some private golf club in Augusta we’re vetting!

Comment

• TravelinZag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2012

Parents & alums care about the academics of the school, not the conference. Fans can’t view the academics on tv.

Comment

• RenoZag
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
                            Careful on that high horse
                            23 posts in 2 day been a member of the forum for 5 years....1 issue guboards Fan
                            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• realtydog
                              Kennel Club
                              • Feb 2007

You call people rednecks and embarrassing and accuse others of seeming “angry and troubled”....tell them you love them and hope they get well...wow....self projection alert.

It’s a conference for sports not some private golf club in Augusta we’re vetting!
                              Self projection indeed.....SJW who has not been able to deal with life since Nov. 2016

Good luck in your treatment Bart.........so much hate and bigotry you have
                              Go zags

Comment

• bartruff1
                                Zag for Life
                                • Jan 2010

Well ok....but if you or Ceo ever catch on fire.....don't look to me for help....

Comment

Working...
                                X