Additional Thoughts w/ Possible MWC Move...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Birddog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Just remember Few's words, "It's complicated".
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• Robzagnut
      Zag for Life
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
      It is broke and the other WCC schools aren't making any effort to fix it. That's the problem and that's why GU and Roth are looking to move. After 20 years of nothing from a single other WCC member it's time to look around. For the first time in 20 years I didn't watch a single LMU, Portland, or Pepperdine regular season game. I watched SD, Pacific and SF half heartedly while channel surfing. No interest in watching boring 20-30 point blowouts. This will continue into the foreseeable future without change. It's not being a victim of GU's success, it's being a victim of the other school's ineptitude.

The MWC schools have the money, the facilities and will make an effort to make their teams better. Bringing in GU as the cream of the crop is the first step. It's time to give 10+ other willing and able schools a shot at the tittle, because the current ones have given up. And it will be a lot more exciting to watch them try.

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
        FYI - The Big East's TV ratings with FSN1 have been very disappointing. Much worse than the league ever expected when they signed the contract.

As U Zig hints at, CBS College Sports Network's ratings for MWC games have been horrible for a number of years. I think a major reason why the league is approaching Gonzaga is that they see it as an opportunity to step up to ESPN when their league contract expires in a couple of years.

The bottom line: you are either on ESPN (or network TV) or you are not. Gonzaga will not, under any conditions, move to the MWC without ESPN's involvement. And I suspect they will also want to retain their contract with Root Sports for the Incarnate Word type games. It allows them to keep all the money for those games.

BTW - 95% chance that Jordan Brown is not choosing Gonzaga. According to a premium recruiting site, he is kind of looking for a program where he is "the guy." That's not going to occur at GU with all the talent on the roster. I'm still leaving room for that 5%, but I don't have hope. It also explains his strange school list for such a highly rated player.

Recruiting in the MWC would be tougher for Gonzaga in the sense that our assistants recruit heavily on off days during WCC road trips. Although GU flies charter, I doubt Donny Daniels flies charter to fly to Vegas to check out a prospect. Also, there are simply more good players in Los Angeles, Portland and the Bay Area than most MWC cities. There are advantages to spending an entire weekend in L.A. and an entire weekend in the Bay Area to look at players. Either players who play in those areas, or players who travel from other states to play teams in those areas. Although Gonzaga hasn't gotten a lot of Bay Area and L.A. area players in recent times, playing 4 games in the Bay Area and 3 games in the L.A. area (if you count San Diego, which is within driving distance of L.A.) helps when it comes to parents who have concerns about their sons playing too far from home.

I continue to remind people about this: there was a conference wide directive in the MWC 3 years ago to become a football conference. All MWC basketball programs of bother genders has seen money stripped from them. If Nevada wins the MWC, they will be the ONLY MWC team that gets invited to the NCAA's. Unlike some people, I feel St. Mary's is a lock to make it (even though they will land a sucky seed), which will mean that the WCC will have more teams dancing than the MWC.

I am not saying that moving to the MWC is a horrible move that will cause Gonzaga's men's basketball program to crash and be blown to pieces, but the league is NOT what it was in the "Jimmer" days. Speculation about the league getting "way more" teams in the dance every year if Gonzaga joins is just speculation. It maybe "informed" speculation, but there are no guarantees. I am just not sure that moving to the MWC is worth it just to gain a few RPI spots (when the NCAA is considering ditching it as an important component) or to get a few more teams in the tournament. Keep in mind that the MWC is looking to expand beyond just Gonzaga. Those are teams that Gonzaga has to share it's NCAA tournament money with when they get in the dance and make a big run. The teams that are being suggested - UTEP, Grand Canyon, Rice - are not exactly basketball powerhouses. I would like to see the MWC make a play for Northern Iowa, which has been a consistent basketball winner in the MVC and plays in a first rate, brand new arena. But again, the MWC is focused on football. I am also hesitant to make the move when Gonzaga now has SO MUCH leverage when it comes to getting what they want when it comes to the WCC. You heard it right on ESPN - Randy Bennett feels the WCC would be damaged beyond repair if Gonzaga left. That suggests to me that everything from NCAA tourney payout restructuring and a number of other things are in GU's favor right now, big time.

All I am saying is that it is not a SLAM DUNK move to leave the WCC for the MWC. Things must be CAREFULLY considered. Fortunately, I trust Gonzaga and its important people to make the correct decision.....the one that most benefits GU.
        All good points.

Comment

• Zagdawg
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

On a positive WCC note-- next year the top teams (except St Marys -- and maybe us depending on how many players leave early) will return the majority of their teams-- so overall as a conference -- we should see some improvements from the upper half.

Comment

• Zagceo
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Robzagnut View Post
            It is broke and the other WCC schools aren't making any effort to fix it. That's the problem and that's why GU and Roth are looking to move. After 20 years of nothing from a single other WCC member it's time to look around. For the first time in 20 years I didn't watch a single LMU, Portland, or Pepperdine regular season game. I watched SD, Pacific and SF half heartedly while channel surfing. No interest in watching boring 20-30 point blowouts. This will continue into the foreseeable future without change. It's not being a victim of GU's success, it's being a victim of the other school's ineptitude.

The MWC schools have the money, the facilities and will make an effort to make their teams better. Bringing in GU as the cream of the crop is the first step. It's time to give 10+ other willing and able schools a shot at the tittle, because the current ones have given up.
            Well said

Time to move on.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
              Banned
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
              I prefer to think of them as Boutiques.
              Like the rescue mission is a boutique.

Comment

• asoc
                Kennel Club Alum
                • Jul 2007

ESPN is forming their own streaming service with a planned subscription cost of $4.99 a month.

ESPN+

This will have an impact on what ESPN does going forward.

I will likely be getting it simply because they have the contract with MLS.
                I would be willing to cut my cable and pick up Youtube TV and ESPN+ and I should be good for my TV watching.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by titopoet View Post
                  1. No... WCC is used against GU, but so will MW after MW has been a one bid league.
                  2. No... If the player wants to stay it is for March Madness glory and not simply to beat on Pepperdine or Utah State.
                  UNLV got Brandon McCoy a 5* #15 recruit in the nation.

The 247Sports rankings are determined by our recruiting analysts after countless hours of personal observations, film evaluation and input from our network of scouts.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by asoc View Post
                    ESPN is forming their own streaming service with a planned subscription cost of $4.99 a month.

ESPN+

I would be willing to cut my cable and pick up Youtube TV and ESPN+ and I should be good for my TV watching.
                    It's what they just signed the Sun Belt to and I'm sure what a Gonzaga less WCC will sign with.

Comment

• willandi
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by asoc View Post

ESPN+

I would do that, or Sling or one of those, but Root is on Direct or Dish and is the only way to watch the Mariners lose all summer long! I prefer watching them win, but I watch either way.
                      Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                        Zag for Life
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
                        We're # 6 in the nation, hoping for better than a 5 seed; it's broke.
                        Exactly this! Couldn't be more on point...

Comment

• TexasZag
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by TacomaZAG View Post
                          Wouldn't GU be the only private University in the MWC?? Would that aid in the overall "mission" of the University??

Yes, Men's CBB is Big Business, from the $$ standpoint. However, one of the things that has always set GU (and GU Men's BB) apart is the fact that GU has always been about more than just the $$. I wonder if that reality would suffer due to the move.Go ZAGS
                          Duke is a private university in a conference with predominantly public schools. Same goes for TCU here in Texas. There are many examples we can point to, but I use these two because they are two readily recognizable and prestigious private schools who compete in predominantly public school conferences. I don't believe their "missions" have changed. Academically, both Duke and TCU have much lower acceptance rates than GU (way more applicants than available desks for incoming freshmen). I can't see Gonzaga turning into something undesirable simply because they are athletically affiliated with non-religious schools. If so, that's on the school's leadership, not the conference.

Comment

• Saxon_zag
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
                            We're # 6 in the nation, hoping for better than a 5 seed; it's broke.
                            Hey that's what I said! Pretty much spot on... I agree with fans that are bored and channel surfing while watching these portland and pepperdine games. It's gotten stale and the bottom half of the league just doesn't care.

Comment

• TexasZag
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                              On a positive WCC note-- next year the top teams (except St Marys -- and maybe us depending on how many players leave early) will return the majority of their teams-- so overall as a conference -- we should see some improvements from the upper half.
                              There are no givens and there are many factors that play into success. We've already seen a couple of coaches depart, including SD's coach. Coaching changes are big unknowns. Even if these schools find top-notch replacements, you cannot guarantee success; and you kind of owe it to the coach to give him 3 or 4 years to get his own players in. And it is not a matter of fact that all good coaches are successful in every environment. How many times can GU afford to give these schools a pass for time to adjust for a new coach?

Comment

• strikenowhere
                                Zag for Life
                                • Sep 2009

From a purely basketball perspective - It is time for the Zags to put the kiddie toys in the yard sale.

Comment

Working...
                                X