Additional Thoughts w/ Possible MWC Move...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickMick
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

Short term it gives the appearance of a bad move, but.........

I believe the landscape of college basketball is going to dramatically change within the next decade.

Indeed, I don't believe there is a lucrative scenario for basketball TV money in the west, outside of the PAC 12, for either the MWC, or Gonzaga, if this move isn't made. I believe it has more to do with the continuing evolution of how fans will choose to pay for and view college hoops than the combined influence of the major players in Western college basketball. ESPN has already felt the pinch of declining cable subscriptions and has cut budget accordingly. The MWC needs the Gonzaga brand to revitalize their regional following. Gonzaga needs a better conference schedule. The MWC footprint is larger and still includes the state of California.

Also keep in mind that nature abhors a vacuum. The Western time zone is a niche audience that will be filled regardless of how viewers subscribe to watch games. Basketball fans will watch their team regardless of who broadcasts it. It is more about availability, consumer cost, and the general popularity of college basketball than it is about how a given conference attempts to manipulate wealth distribution.
    I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• MileHigh
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Jul 2014

Its about the $$ folks.
      The fact that the competition level in the MWC will be better is a given and anyone arguing otherwise is simply a WCC homer, but that is not the most important aspect. The most important factor is MONEY!
      If Zags AD, President, etc. see that a move will get more $$ into the Athletic Department coffers then they are pretty much obligated to move. College basketball at the highest levels (where Gonzaga sits) is big, big business and you have to make business decisions to remain competitive. Whatever TV money the Zags will potentially get in the MWC wil lobviously have to be greater than they are getting now, or again, it wouldn't make sense. The MWC has Salt Lake, Denver, CSprings, Albuquerque, San Diego in their TV footprint so they should be able to negotiate a pretty good TV deal if they add Gonzaga

I think it will happen

Comment

• strikenowhere
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
        Short term it gives the appearance of a bad move, but.........

I believe the landscape of college basketball is going to dramatically change within the next decade.

Indeed, I don't believe there is a lucrative scenario for basketball TV money in the west, outside of the PAC 12, for either the MWC, or Gonzaga, if this move isn't made. I believe it has more to do with the continuing evolution of how fans will choose to pay for and view college hoops than the combined influence of the major players in Western college basketball. ESPN has already felt the pinch of declining cable subscriptions and has cut budget accordingly. The MWC needs the Gonzaga brand to revitalize their regional following. Gonzaga needs a better conference schedule. The MWC footprint is larger and still includes the state of California.

Also keep in mind that nature abhors a vacuum. The Western time zone is a niche audience that will be filled regardless of how viewers subscribe to watch games. Basketball fans will watch their team regardless of who broadcasts it. It is more about availability, consumer cost, and the general popularity of college basketball than it is about how a given conference attempts to manipulate wealth distribution.
        I would bet that any new WCC contract was on the chopping block for ESPN, even if the Zags were to stay. This may be a move towards maintaining TV relevancy by putting together a product worthy of a new television deal; hence why there is sudden movement now. At least its a possibility seeing how ESPN is having financial difficulties over the last few years.

Comment

• TacomaZAG
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

This has always seemed a "lateral" move at best to me, for the University. I realize if GU is to change conferences, the MWC is the only game in town, but I question if it is a good move for the University. Please remember, GU is more than the Men's BB team, although the Men's BB team is definitely the "bell cow". How would Women's BB, golf, baseball, softball, etc. fare in the new conference?? How would the reputation of the University be affected?? Wouldn't GU be the only private University in the MWC?? Would that aid in the overall "mission" of the University??

Yes, Men's CBB is Big Business, from the $$ standpoint. However, one of the things that has always set GU (and GU Men's BB) apart is the fact that GU has always been about more than just the $$. I wonder if that reality would suffer due to the move.

As others have said, I trust the University to make the best move for the University, even if that is not necessarily the best move for the Men's BB program. Be careful what you wish for.............

Go ZAGS

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
            Banned
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
            If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
            We're # 6 in the nation, hoping for better than a 5 seed; it's broke.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
              Banned
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
              I am just struggling trying to see how a move to the orphan MWC is a step up. Moving would enable me to see an occasional game (at UNM for instance) as that would only be an 8 hr drive. If Wichita St got involved that would be a 3 hr drive, big pluses there. The rotten TV deal and downward trend of BB quality is problematic. I don't see the MWC becoming a 3 bid league anytime soon. The East Coast and power 5 bias will not go away anytime soon, even the Pac12 suffers from that stigma.

GU has carefully and systematically improved it's brand image. I feel like a MWC move is akin to a premium brand moving into a discount store. Unit sales may go up but at what cost if the brand is discounted and profits remain the same?
              Our brand is despite and in spite of our conference affiliation. Most of our current conference mates play in high school gyms and are Gonzaga welfare recipients having no desire to better themselves. Again, we're #6 in the country, most likely seeded like #20. If the MWC is a discount store, the WCC is a homeless shelter.

Comment

• SWZag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
                We're # 6 in the nation, hoping for better than a 5 seed; it's broke.
                I think a 5 seed is great!!! Pretty awesome!! Any team, any place, anywhere!

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• Zagsker
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
                  ...If the MWC is a discount store, the WCC is a homeless shelter.
                  Love it
                  I am working on being a more all around square.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

The arguments about what about golf and tennis in the new conference are broken -- until the sport pays for itself (the same issue that so many fans are saying about the other members of the WCC not pulling their weight) -- the other sports do not matter. If the Zags continue down the current WCC road and the basketball money dries up due to changes that occur outside of our control -- the additional sports -- tennis, golf, rowing will go away rather than the university going in the red to pay for them because "we have always had that nice sport here".

As has been mentioned previously by a number of posters -- this is about the long term viability of the school and the program based upon what is occurring across the college landscape-- management is going to do what is best for the program/university and I am very happy they are being proactive and forward thinking.

Comment

• rennis
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Zagger View Post
                      I think that we have the best people possible @ GU to determine whether a move to the MWC is a progressive move for GU or not. Few/Roth & Co have my complete support. They’ve both seen and artfully helped GU’s sports programs thus far in an exemplary fashion. Any move will not be a rash decision. Few/Roth, etc have invested lots of thoughtfulness, time & love in GU. It would not surprise me if it is well into April or even May before we learn whether we stay in the WCC or move.
                      Don't forget Norm Few. I'm confident his wisdom and experience will be tapped in this decision. How many suitors came calling on the church in Creswell with greener and more faithful pastures than those offered by the small-time Presbyterians?
                      Originally posted by Coach Few
                      We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by SWZag View Post
                        I think a 5 seed is great!!! Pretty awesome!! Any team, any place, anywhere!
                        While your optimism is appreciated, it kind of misses the point. The pollsters believe that we are the sixth best team in the nation. Meanwhile those that are in charge of seeding the tournament have deemed us worthy of number 20 and that is due in large part to who we play, i.e. our conference mates.

Comment

• Birddog
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

If the MWC is a discount store, the WCC is a homeless shelter.
                          I prefer to think of them as Boutiques.
                          Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                          Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                          All mimsy were the borogoves,
                          And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• SWZag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by rennis View Post
                            Don't forget Norm Few. I'm confident his wisdom and experience will be tapped in this decision. How many suitors came calling on the church in Creswell with greener and more faithful pastures than those offered by the small-time Presbyterians?
                            And Mark Few. How many suitors came calling on the school in Spokane with greener and more dollar signs than those offered by the small university?

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• Zagdawg
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Not a valid comparison --- Correct me if I am wrong-- has Few or Roth complained about Gonzaga not doing the right thing with the program in the past-- not taking care of player stipends, not having the right facilities, travel accommodations, salary? -- no they have not.

Have they both complained about the WCC and the other schools not building the programs, scheduling properly, making arena and program improvements? -- yes they have.

When you have asked for improvements and helped to provide the means to make the improvements -- but nothing happens --- almost any pasture is greener than the current dead/dying grass we are attempting to keep ourselves nourished with.

Comment

• titopoet
                                Zag for Life
                                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by ZagAddict View Post
                                As it looks like we are heading towards a vote by the MWC around early April on the addition of Gonzaga, I wonder if a conference move by Gonzaga impacts the following situations discussed on this board:

1. Does Gonzaga become a more attractive option for recruits... specifically in the 2018 class with Brandon Williams & Jordan Brown? Gonzaga may end up a more attractive option for these two late signee players. Granted we need to get them on campus for a visit, but I like our chances with either of these 2 with Gonzaga playing in the MWC next year.

2. Does a new challenge in the MWC convince Gonzaga players with remaining eligibility to stay for another year. There have been rumblings that Tillie, Hachimura, and Perkins might be looking to move on and begin a professional career after this year. These are only rumors at this point, but I wouldn't have believed at this time last year that 1) NWG would pass on his senior year, 2) Zach Collins would end up a lottery pick, and 3) there would be discussions about JWIII leaving for the NBA Draft.

I understand that there are still a lot of things that need to align before GU moves conferences, and that is why I didn't post this in the thread dedicated to the MWC Move Debate. I just think that a conference move could tilt a couple things in the favor of Gonzaga basketball for next year. In my dream scenario we have the following players on our roster next year as we open play in the MWC (below has some serious talent and depth):

Redshirts: Greg Foster
                                Walk On: Jeremy Jones
                                Guards: Josh Perkins, Zack Norvell Jr., Brandon Williams, Joel Ayayi, Jesse Wade
                                Forwards: Killian Tillie, Rui Hachimura, Corey Kispert, Brandon Clarke
                                Centers: Jacob Larsen, Jordan Brown, Filip Petrusev

1. No... WCC is used against GU, but so will MW after MW has been a one bid league.
                                2. No... If the player wants to stay it is for March Madness glory and not simply to beat on Pepperdine or Utah State.
                                ----
                                Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

Working...
                                X