Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Perkins ... Appreciation Thread

Default Josh Perkins ... Appreciation Thread

I so enjoyed watching Perkins play the point at the tournament this weekend. He controlled the game so well. I knew he wouldn't make the all tournament team as he wasn't scoring points, but IMO he should have been for quarterbacking these dominant performances by Gonzaga.

He's had some highs and lows this season (and in his career), but he'll end up having a top 10 best season finish in 2 categories when the season is completed in both Assists and Made 3 pointers.

He's an all time great already, IMO, but he is likely to have the 2nd best all time wins total of all Gonzaga Bulldogs when he finishes his career next year.

Congratulations on a great career so far, Josh Perkins!! You aren't done yet and I'm going to enjoy watching the rest of your career here at Gonzaga!
    Last edited by CDC84; 11-16-2018 at 10:49 AM.

He is getting better and better every game, I have confidence that this whole thing is making sense to him and he's leading the team into the tournament.

His heady play over the last half of this season has been paramount to our success. I honestly cant praise Josh enough for his resilience in the face of pressure. He has had to be the only ball handler in so many games this year, and in a way that has really consumed a lot of his time and energy in a year when he was supposed to be "the guy". He has chosen to choose maturity and winning over me-first basketball. Im so impressed by this young man and cannot wait to see him lead this team to another final four this year and next. Thank you Josh for your hard work and selfless team first attitude. You are so important to our program.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I so enjoyed watching Perkins play the point at the tournament this weekend. He controlled the game so well. I knew he wouldn't make the all tournament team as he wasn't scoring points, but IMO he should have been for quarterbacking these dominant performances by Gonzaga.

He's had some highs and lows this season (and in his career), but he'll end up having a top 10 best season finish in 2 categories when the season is completed in both Assists and Made 3 pointers.

He's an all time great already, IMO, but he is likely to have the 2nd best all time wins total of all Gonzaga Bulldogs when he finishes his career next year.

Congratulations on a great career so far, Josh Perkins!! You aren't done yet and I'm going to enjoy watching the rest of your career here at Gonzaga!
    Great thread F1, couldn't agree more..........

The team, and Josh, are peaking at the right time. I wonder if there is any coincidence there????????????(insert sarcasm emoji)

Go ZAGS

Word. I'll be the first to admit I yell at JP a lot while watching games on TV when he forces something or misses at the rim, but damn it if he didn't run a clinic this year in self-improvement, blocking out noice/hate, and just doing whatever he needs to do to make those around him better. He knows he's surrounded by talented scorers and is making the reads and hitting guys in their spots. His drives drive me crazy because for whatever reason he isn't a good finisher but last night he was and it helped cue a huge run. The JP-Tillie connection is deadly right now and let's hope it continues. Bottom line is the Zags aren't 30-game winners, aren't regular season champs and aren't WCC Tourney champs without JP taking on a lot of responsibility and cleaning up his game. Thanks, Josh!
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Deserved! Two assists short of a double/double in the WCC final . . . Or should that read farewell?

The hate on JP has been so baffling to me. He's been inconsistent at times but he has clearly shown major progress and is playing terrific ball at the perfect time.

His defense goes largely unheralded but he has been on point in the back court defensively. He has really minimized the turnovers and has a very healthy Assist to Turnover ratio. And his 3 point shooting is close to 42% on over 12 PPG. And the offense just runs smoothly with everybody getting involved.

Dude is a baller and I really hope he returns. The people clamouring for his head are going to be in for a rude awakening next season if he opts to turn pro following this season. I like Ayayi's upside but there will be serious growing pains if he's forced into a starter role next season.

Doubts about Josh's value don't survive if one watches what happens the moment he goes to the bench.

It's not that we become a bad team but everything that had looked so smooth quite suddenly becomes difficult, the ball moves slower, guys take passes out of position, passes are one behind where the ball needed to go, the middle is more clogged, it's not like the wheels come off so much as a bunch of air is out of the tires, fast.

Some of it has to just be the presence and experience he brings. Like the other guys feel more "normal" when he's up top, and everyone is in max comfort zone.

Amazing. He's indispensable in a way no other player is.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Doubts about Josh's value don't survive if one watches what happens the moment he goes to the bench.

It's not that we become a bad team but everything that had looked so smooth quite suddenly becomes difficult, the ball moves slower, guys take passes out of position, passes are one behind where the ball needed to go, the middle is more clogged, it's not like the wheels come off so much as a bunch of air is out of the tires, fast.

Some of it has to just be the presence and experience he brings. Like the other guys feel more "normal" when he's up top, and everyone is in max comfort zone.

Amazing. He's indispensable in a way no other player is.
    110%.

JP is a damn good player.
    Love the zags for life

Perkins has been so steady, he is our quarterback that will lead us to another Final 4.

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post

+1

Good post and it needs to be said.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Much Love
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Default Josh Perkins Appreciation Thread

I really appreciate Josh hanging out and taking pictures with the fans and being a great representative of the University. There are so many good ball players, but it is being a great role model and teammate that makes Josh a great Zag for the ages.

Josh's tournament stats speak for themselves: 22 assists and only 4 turnovers. We are lucky to have him,plus he is a nice polite kid.

I love Josh. Glad he is a Zag.

Keep Perkin’ Josh! Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
    I love Josh. Glad he is a Zag.
    +1
    great thread, thanks former1dog

We will go to another final four while Josh is Zag. My favorite player on this team.

Ahhh 5 star thread.
    Love the zags for life

If I calculated it right, Perkins is sitting at 100 wins for his career. Karnowski is the all-time winningest player with 136.

A Sweet 16 or Elite 8 this year gives Perkins a shot at tying or topping Karnowski if he sticks around next year.

Josh is definitely under-appreciated. But he has stepped up - and I love his low turnover totals lately and he really seems to be taking command of the floor. Good for him - let's have a great tourney run!

Great thread former! Much needed too as you will notice even after winning WCC tourney some here felt the need to start posting about Josh’s lack of perfection in the postgame analysis thread. Ridiculous.

Perkins is truly the straw that stirs this drink and turns this team into a cohesive unit. We are lucky to have him and desperately need him next year too!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Solid and steady improvement throughout the season.
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...35&action=view
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Few & Co are steadily getting the best team fit & individual performance out of each Zag. Some guys are progressing a bit more quickly than others. Josh being PG is an integral and indispensable asset. When he shines it’s a domino effect. Pretty much the same goes with J3’s rebounding and work around the basket. Dance teams will try and upset Josh but then they’ll have to deal with Snax & Silas. All around I feel the rest of the team is helping to make Josh’s work a bit easier and more effective. It seems the tentative playing by the team earlier this season is a thing of the past. I really like how Josh & Co respond to coaching after a time out. The team’s going to be hard to beat next week and I feel they’ll have some great practices between now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    If I calculated it right, Perkins is sitting at 100 wins for his career. Karnowski is the all-time winningest player with 136.
    SWZag's annual "Records Thread" shows 98 wins so far, JP. . .

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...32#post1370232

He has a chance to top the list with a deep run this year and a return for his final tear of eligibiity. Hope he decides to come back

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.