Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post game analysis Gonzaga vs LMU

Default Post game thread Zags vs LMU

Zags win 83-69.

It was a ugly game for a long while. Tillie and JW3 really saved us tonight IMO. Zn and Silas chipped in. JP didn't have a good game.

The thing that worries me is the 3pt defense. Its always been a Achilles heal for us minus last yr. This year it seems even worse. The zags advance to Monday again and get their feet under them.

What games by jw3 and Tillie. Wow!
    Love the zags for life

Tillie, JW3 played great. Norvell not bad. 3pt defense has always been our Achilles since I started watching GU ball in 1995

Like starting your car at 30 below it took a while. But the boys warmed up PDG!

Tighten up that 3 D though!

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Zags win 83-69.

It was a ugly game for a long while. Tillie and JW3 really saved us tonight IMO. Zn and Silas chipped in. JP didn't have a good game.

The thing that worries me is the 3pt defense. Its always been a Achilles heal for us minus last yr. This year it seems even worse. The zags advance to Monday again and get their feet under them.

What games by jw3 and Tillie. Wow!
    JP with 4 boards, 6 assists and 1 TO...seems like a good game to me. And he scored.

STATS: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401020612
    It's not funny.

Kind of amazing that we won by 14 after such a terrible first half. The second half went a little more the way it should have. Tillie and JW3 carried the team. Several other guys had an off game.

What a 2nd half Maybe the best half since the 1st half against Iowa State early last season

Zags shot 61% from the floor including a dismal first half but only 50% from the charity stripe. That has to change.
    Last edited by Birddog; 03-04-2018 at 04:11 AM.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

LMU free throw defense was tough !

If this is how we start after a week off, I'm really worried about Dancing with two weeks off.

Default Post game analysis Gonzaga vs LMU

Gonzaga 83
    LMU 69

Great second half as Zags score 55 in second half. They shot 61% for the game, and 60% from behind the 3 pt line. Zags shoot 12-20 from behind the 3. Norvell hit 4-6 and Tillie 5-5 from behind the arc. Zags take in 41 rebounds but commit 14 turnovers. (bad). Williams got a double-double again with ten boards and 20 points, and Tillie had 24 points and 5-5 from behind the arc.. Hachimura also gathers in 10 rebounds.

I Rui had a real good second half, especially guarding #5. Melson, once again played extremely lazy and casual defense. I really don't know what's gottin into him. Looks lazy as heck. However players like Williams and Tillie were beasts. They totally controlled the game. Williams is just too tough. I thought Perkins played a great game accept for his 0-3 from the free throw line. Actually the Zags shot poorly from there, only making 50%. Zach Norvell continues to impress me. IMO he's the most improved player on the team. He had a real solid game tonight with 17 points, making 6 out of 8 shots and 4 for 6 from the 3 pt line. He is always giving it 100% imo.

I wasn't too happy at half time as Gonzaga only scored 27 points, and looked very lethargic and playing mostly 1 on 1 selfish basketball. It appeared to me that Few had a lot to say at half time. They played Gonzaga basketball the second half scoring 54 points. They only led by one point at half-time. So WE ARE MOVING ON!

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

As much as I like Rui...his game isn't driving the length of the floor and shooting soft shots over the defense.

He has had some good full court drives, but the team is better when he dishes.
    It's not funny.

Is Rui secretly becoming a shut down defender?

Seems like whenever Tillie or J3, or even our guards, are struggling with certain guys in the 1st half, we put Rui on them, & they disappear down the stretch.

Whatever he does, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post

Seems like whenever Tillie or J3 are struggling with certain guys in the 1st half, we put Rui on them, & they disappear down the stretch.

he's also become a go to closer late on O

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post

Seems like whenever Tillie or J3, or even our guards, are struggling with certain guys in the 1st half, we put Rui on them, & they disappear down the stretch.

What makes Rui so dangerous coming off the bench, particularly in the second half, is that he's not fatigued, has fresh legs to put to work on defense. On offense, I haven't seen anyone in the WCC able to consistently defend him one on one. He was a deserving first team all conference.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    If this is how we start after a week off, I'm really worried about Dancing with two weeks off.
    Is it really 2 weeks? Knew it was a while, but that's just soooooo toooooo loooong! Will have me worried too! First
    Dance opponent WILL be tougher than LMU, too.

first half there was not the ball movement and passing I expect to see from a zag team, also lots of guys went for solo attempts to score early in the clock, also did not look like zag ball.
    second half we looked like ourselves
    final score does not reflect what the game was like for the first 30 minutes of PT.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    Is it really 2 weeks? Knew it was a while, but that's just soooooo toooooo loooong! Will have me worried too! First
    Dance opponent WILL be tougher than LMU, too.
    Let me revise and extend my remarks. If we play in the championship game on Monday, it will be at worst ten days between games. The good news is our opponent will not have played 3 games against us in the last two months.

Watching their two guards penetrate rings around us makes me long to see some of those moves from Josh. But not to be at this stage of his career, I fear.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    JP with 4 boards, 6 assists and 1 TO...seems like a good game to me. And he scored.

Perkins played ok on the offensive end but his defense is very porous at best. Can't defend the three and gets beat to often on the dribble drive.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post

Yea u are right.
    Love the zags for life

Never tried to start my car at -30. The coldest it ever got in Chicago (where I'm from) was -27 (in 1985) and mine didn't start. My (future) wife's Honda Accord did but the clutch froze up! The wind was 25 to 35 MPH and the wind chill was something like -70 or so. Oh yes it was humid because of the lake and no one in their right mind went out except to keep the cars running. We don't get weather like that anymore here because of global warming and I'm glad of that (to that extent). We are moving to South Florida in three weeks and can't wait. Throwing the snow brush away for good! GO ZAGS! PS Went to the Law School in the early '70's and remember the real old Spokane. I remember them tearing down the old train trestles and that was another time and place.

John Blanchette column:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...rough-quar/#/0

“You look back at our history in these things, and it’s always been a struggle,” Few said. “But they’re tough on everybody. I watched Michigan State barely get by Wisconsin the other day.

“You get a heavy favorite who already knows they’re playing in the NCAA Tournament and a team with not just nothing to lose, but a lot to gain. And you can talk ’til you’re blue in the face to your guys about it, but it’s hard to get the message across.”

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Let me revise and extend my remarks. If we play in the championship game on Monday, it will be at worst ten days between games. The good news is our opponent will not have played 3 games against us in the last two months.
    Isn’t the champion game on Tuesday?

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    Isn’t the champion game on Tuesday?
    Si! Due to BYU no games on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Great quote. Goes to what I've said before: these guys don't care to a certain degree, and neither would I. I would have a hard time as a coach, on some level, trying to get these guys to get up for a game like this. Yes, you want to always be ready, and yes it can come back to bite you if you can't turn things on with the flip of a switch. But I also get how boring it would be to walk out on the court just about every night, and have to play garbage teams.

The kind of motivation you need there is not the kind that most on this board would find palatable.