Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Brandon Williams Decommits From Arizona

We seem to get good, smart, squared away team players with high personal standards who commit to Few’s system and getting a good, legitimate college education. Few exceptions.

Can you really ask for more? I don’t think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but going to a big state school is generally a lot more fun for an 18-22 year old kid. As to whether or not it's the best decision for your basketball career, probably not. Going to school in Seattle, LA, the Bay, Phoenix, etc offers a lot more to do than in Spokane and just a hunch probably more co-eds as well.
    My post was about the realities in regards to basketball only. I don't think that Spokane is so small that it matters...it's not like Tucson is a thriving metropolis. Certainly LA, Seattle, and Phoenix may offer more outside of basketball but we don't really lose recruits to Arizona State, Cal, or Stanford for this reason...IMO.

That would kind of suck to lose two of our top PG prospects to the same school in one year (Oregon already signed Will Richardson).

I would obviously love to land a player of Brandon Williams caliber, but, assuming Perkins returns, I think we're alright at the position moving forward. After a year playing behind Perkins, Ayayi should be ready for considerable role, and his length and size as a lead guard is something we've never had in the program. Even though he's maybe not a "true PG", a hypothetical back-court of Ayayi and Norvell should be able to hold down the fort. Of course, Wade could still blossom and any of Foster, Ravet, or Harris could come in more college ready than expected.

I never said the Pac12 wasn't the best conference typically...I said this year. I truly believe that Gonzaga, St Marys, and Nevada would have all been Top 5 in that league this year. MY point was thatt we are as national as any team in the Pac12 these days and we have as good or better things to offer than most of those schools. I am well aware that our conference is garbage which is why I pointed out our OOC games we play (not all, but the early season tournament and marquee games) plus the fact of what we do in the NCAA tournament at the end of the year. I guess I just don't get what is so great about a tough conference slate when you can play tough games prior to conference and in the NCAA's.

Not to mention the Pac12 TV deal and exposure is garbage compared to most other power conferences.

Oregon has a great recruiting class coming in already - they should make it back to the dance next year -- I can see why he is considering them as the front runner.
    Bol Bol #4 overall recruit and #1 center in the class
    Louis King #14 overall recruit and #5 small forward
    Will Richardson #31 overall recruit and #8 guard (some say PG some say SG)
    Miles Norris #77 overall recruit and #20 PF

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    I want a copy of Altman's sales pitch.
    S16, E8, F4 in 3 of the previous 4 years.

Dillon Brooks, bottom end of top 100 in hs, starting and lately starring for Memphis.

Jordan Bell, bottom end of top 100 in hs, playing for Warriors, who just activated Chris Boucher, who tore up the G League for a couple of months after coming back from his ACL.

Tyler Dorsey lately starting for Atlanta.

3 mid second rounders and an undrafted FA; 4 guys off last yr's team in the NBA. None projected there out of hs.

And the facilities and incoming class.

As to having an incumbent pg, Altman often plays two together.

Pretty easy sales pitch to make imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Not to mention the Pac12 TV deal and exposure is garbage compared to most other power conferences.
    Yeah, that. I read somewhere recently that Larry Scott is the highest paid commissioner of any conference. I have no idea why. I think most Pac 12 fans despise him. 4 years or whatever and he still can't work out a deal w/ DirectTV? I seriously doubt he's even trying at this point. TV revenues for the Pac 12 are paltry compared to other conferences like the Big 10 and SEC. Pac 12 just had its worst bowl season ever in football and men's hoops was similarly disappointing. Someone, please take Larry Scott!

Yeah it's a bit weird for GU fans to be asking what has Oregon done, when they were also in the Final 4 last year and actually had a chance with their last possession to beat North Carolina, unlike GU.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Yeah it's a bit weird for GU fans to be asking what has Oregon done, when they were also in the Final 4 last year and actually had a chance with their last possession to beat North Carolina, unlike GU.
    I agree. That and their facilities along with the Nike money they have is a huge draw. I can't stand Oregon, but I completely get why someone would choose to go there. Just think you are 17/18 and walk onto that campus, see their facilities, all the free Nike stuff you get, plus 23,000 students means a ton of people co-eds that like athletes. Just saying I see the draw. If I wanted to go to a program that was strictly for basketball and my development, GU is the fit for BWill (and a lot of other elite talent).

Some counters to the Oregon option.

Didn't make the dance this year.

Payton Pritchard (2 more years) in front of you along with Will Richardson coming in (Victor Bailey --already there as a 2 guard--3 more years).

Wants to play with Bol Bol -- will get that for 1 year until he jumps to the NBA.

Oregon roster has a large amount of turnover each year --makes it tougher to bond as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    My post was about the realities in regards to basketball only. I don't think that Spokane is so small that it matters...it's not like Tucson is a thriving metropolis. Certainly LA, Seattle, and Phoenix may offer more outside of basketball but we don't really lose recruits to Arizona State, Cal, or Stanford for this reason...IMO.

We may not lose recruits to these schools because they might never have been interested in the first place. A big state school does offer a lot of that a place like GU does not.

Quote Originally Posted by SwainZag View Post
    We may not lose recruits to these schools because they might never have been interested in the first place. A big state school does offer a lot of that a place like GU does not.
    sometimes simple as anonymity for 18 year old.

If i'm a recruit I dunno what conference Gonzaga is going to be in next year. Uncertainty breeds conspiracy theories!~
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

My big pitch to Williams would be to get him in a gym with Brandon Clarke this weekend in LA. He understandably wants to play with a great big in Bol but let him get a sense of how much more polished Clarke is right now.

Then let him see the games and watch Rui go and make him understand that upper-class men usually trump frosh heavy teams.

Definitely a big weekend in LA to try and improve odds of landing Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    My big pitch to Williams would be to get him in a gym with Brandon Clarke this weekend in LA. He understandably wants to play with a great big in Bol but let him get a sense of how much more polished Clarke is right now.

Then let him see the games and watch Rui go and make him understand that upper-class men usually trump frosh heavy teams.

Definitely a big weekend in LA to try and improve odds of landing Williams.
    But the question is, are we allowed to invite him to Sweet 16 practices and to attend the game as an official recruit? I do not know the answer to this.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    But the question is, are we allowed to invite him to Sweet 16 practices and to attend the game as an official recruit? I do not know the answer to this.
    Spy, even if it were OK (I doubt it is) I can't think of a worse time to be coddling a recruit while trying to prepare for what is the most important game of the year to this point. IMO, it wopuld be a diversion that should be avoided.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Spy, even if it were OK (I doubt it is) I can't think of a worse time to be coddling a recruit while trying to prepare for what is the most important game of the year to this point. IMO, it wopuld be a diversion that should be avoided.
    Like giving a tour of your house to a girlfriend while your wife is cooking dinner kinda diversion?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Like giving a tour of your house to a girlfriend while your wife is cooking dinner kinda diversion?
    Ouch
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Am getting tired of the Williams talk. Would love to have him as a Zag, but he doesn't seem to know what he wants to do. Decisions, decisions. If he doesn't want to visit or care to be a Zag. Fine. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    Am getting tired of the Williams talk. Would love to have him as a Zag, but he doesn't seem to know what he wants to do. Decisions, decisions. If he doesn't want to visit or care to be a Zag. Fine. Move on.
    Agree....

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    Indeed. Trust the process. Ayayi is never going to be a primary point guard, but if he has the same impact from the off-guard position off the bench as KT did as a forward, in his first year...then all you need is a grad transfer and all is well. No worries.

If Brandon genuinely wants to consider GU, then fine. If not...then we'll be fine.