Thread: Experimental rules to be used at NIT

Default Experimental rules to be used at NIT

"INDIANAPOLIS — For the third time in four years, the 2018 National Invitation Tournament will feature experimental rules intended to give the NCAA Men’s Basketball Rules Committee, the Division I Men’s Basketball Oversight Committee and the Division I Men’s Basketball Competition Committee data as well as feedback to assist in making decisions regarding rules changes. The NCAA playing rules process has a two-year cycle, and the next possible rules change date is May of 2019."

How come BYU and St Marys always get to try out the experimental rules before the Zags? -- I do not feel this is very fair competitively.

The 2018 NIT will feature four rules modifications:

​• The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
    ​• The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
    ​• The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.
    • The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...es-be-used-nit

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    "INDIANAPOLIS — For the third time in four years, the 2018 National Invitation Tournament will feature experimental rules intended to give the NCAA Men’s Basketball Rules Committee, the Division I Men’s Basketball Oversight Committee and the Division I Men’s Basketball Competition Committee data as well as feedback to assist in making decisions regarding rules changes. The NCAA playing rules process has a two-year cycle, and the next possible rules change date is May of 2019."

How come BYU and St Marys always get to try out the experimental rules before the Zags? -- I do not feel this is very fair competitively.

The 2018 NIT will feature four rules modifications:

​• The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
    ​• The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
    ​• The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.
    • The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...es-be-used-nit
    LOL!

Maybe they will try to also seed teams based on anything but RPI. A dart board would probably be more accurate.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Wow, these are some really extreme changes. I would have expected 1-2 of these 4, not all of them. It's going to be a big adjustment for all of the NIT teams.

The only one that doesn't strike me right for the college game is widening the lane. Forcing big men to vacate the lane to avoid a three second call will result in most post ups starting farther out than now. I don't think there are enough skilled big men to overcome that obstacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    Wow, these are some really extreme changes. I would have expected 1-2 of these 4, not all of them. It's going to be a big adjustment for all of the NIT teams.
    Agree about the extreme nature.

Eliminates the "1 and 1" to just do a 2 shot bonus, four times a game? This to me seems like the most significant.

Moving the 3 pt line back 20 inches is not trivial, either.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Don't like any of them. Is there something wrong with the game now? Those in authority must have too much time on their hands.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

With all the investigations going on and talk about the future and quality of college basketball, this is just another step the NCAA is taking in order to be the training ground for the NBA. Widening the lane leads to more isolation and drives to the basket. The obvious going to 4 quarters instead of two halves. Though not resetting the shot clock is interesting IMO in that it rewards defense in a way.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

I have been told there is a strong movement to change the men's college game from halves into quarters so that there is uniformity across basketball (even FIBA uses 10 minute quarters; high school has 8 minute quarters, etc.). I expect to see it looked at seriously. Many college coaches want to see a change.

The widening of the lane thing has been discussed for at least 25 years, and it never gets serious traction. It's time to put this baby to rest for now.

Who's going to pay for changing the configuration of the courts at all these colleges? And they're going to get it done before the tourney starts? There are going to be women's games at some of these sites.

I actually like all of these changes. I don't understand, frankly, why the college game is so different from FIBA or the NBA.

College soccer doesn't play by different rules than FIFA or the MLS (as far as I know; I don't actually follow college soccer). And baseball rules are more or less uniform, minus the odd DH rule or wooden bat.

Why can't basketball have the same rules and structure at all levels?

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    I actually like all of these changes. I don't understand, frankly, why the college game is so different from FIBA or the NBA.

College soccer doesn't play by different rules than FIFA or the MLS (as far as I know; I don't actually follow college soccer). And baseball rules are more or less uniform, minus the odd DH rule or wooden bat.

College soccer is most definitely altered from FIFA. The clock is on a countdown, buzzer at the end, with no added time. Substitutions are limited in the first half, and unlimited in the second, which makes for a horrible game since you can keep subbing in fresh legs which completely changes (and ruins) the game. There are also clock stoppages. It's awful.

I stand corrected about college soccer. Maybe that's why no one pays attention to it.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post

There is actually a big issue with college soccer and how it does not play by the same rules as the rest of the soccer world. Many think it is a detriment to the development of soccer players.

The biggest issues are that you can practically sub as much as you want. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_soccer#Rules And then the other big issue is how short the season is. The subs rule sort of makes sense because of that short season. But soccer is typically played over 90 minutes with 3 subs. When you have unlimited subs that changes the game.

The shortness of the season does not allow for adequate training of players to actually develop as a player. Ideally you play one game a week. If a player gets a relatively minor injury they can miss most of a season. You can read up on the proposed change to the length of the season. https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/web/...Model_FAQ.aspx It seems like such common sense when you read that...

It is entirely possible that if NCAA soccer had been playing with these two changes in place for the past 15 years we would be putting out more polished soccer players which then provides them more opportunities after college to play professionally and thus a stronger base for US Soccer to pull from when it comes to our local leagues on up to the National Team.

Right now, the very best youth soccer players understand their best option to continue to develop as a player is to NOT play in College. Many still due because an education is valued. But many are going pro before they even graduate high school and some try their luck in Europe as soon as they can, usually once they turn 18 unless they can get a European passport which lets them go over earlier.

I actually like the idea of the clock counting down... In theory it shouldn't change anything as the referee normally adds on time at the end of each half. But they are inconsistent and sometimes it seems suspicious how much or little time gets added on. Blatant time wasting is one thing I would be glad to do without.

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    Is there something wrong with the game now?
    Nova 38
    Seton Hall 37

2H 9:32 to play

Maybe the changes will generate more offense ?

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Nova 38
    Seton Hall 37

2H 9:32 to play

Maybe the changes will generate more offense ?
    More offense does not necessarily mean more exciting games

The game mentioned is extremely intense and exciting
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    More offense does not necessarily mean more exciting games

The game mentioned is extremely intense and exciting
    Yes it is. Watching it too. Raftery & Gus Johnson at their best

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Yes it is. Watching it too. Raftery & Gus Johnson at their best
    They certainly add to the game a true treat when they call games

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    Agreed, although I am skeptical most are in serious consideration. I think the real motivation is to keep the NIT interesting. Won't lie, I'm interested and will likely watch some NIT match ups because of it.

Still, we've gotten some good out of these experiments. The 30 second shot clock needed to happen.

A shame they didn't adjust to the FIBA goaltending rule which makes a ton of sense.

"No blocking a ball in downward flight towards the rim. Once the ball strikes the rim, any player can play the ball (i.e. swat it away or tap it in)"

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post

"No blocking a ball in downward flight towards the rim. Once the ball strikes the rim, any player can play the ball (i.e. swat it away or tap it in)"
    I think I'm missing something. Isn't this the rule in D1 and NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I think I'm missing something. Isn't this the rule in D1 and NBA?
    Nope just fiba

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Nope just fiba

Its weird to see players plucking the ball off the rim in international play, but I like it.