Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Patty Mills subjected to racial taunts during Sunday's game against Cavs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,522

    Default Patty Mills subjected to racial taunts during Sunday's game against Cavs

    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...land-cavaliers

    I don't wish this upon anyone, but especially a decent guy like Patrick

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...land-cavaliers

    I don't wish this upon anyone, but especially a decent guy like Patrick
    I read the comments (often more telling than the article in many ways) and apparently the fan was exhorting Mills to be on the Jamaican Bobsled team. Many believe that instead of 'BOB' sled, he was saying 'DOG'.

    I think these statements were rude, but not sure that they were racist. One of Mills parents did come from the island there, and the other was an Aussie Aboriginal.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I read the comments (often more telling than the article in many ways) and apparently the fan was exhorting Mills to be on the Jamaican Bobsled team. Many believe that instead of 'BOB' sled, he was saying 'DOG'.

    I think these statements were rude, but not sure that they were racist. One of Mills parents did come from the island there, and the other was an Aussie Aboriginal.
    Rude, yes. Racial, hardly. Profane, no. Is this where our society has devolved, that a misguided reference to a Disney movie could generate such a kerfuffle?

    Where's LeBron, Pop, Durant? No outrage from them? Then it must not be that big a deal.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    15,306

    Default

    [QUOTE=TexasZagFan;1366446]Rude, yes. Racial, hardly. Profane, no. Is this where our society has devolved, that a misguided reference to a Disney movie could generate such a kerfuffle?

    Without the person who said this being interviewed, not sure how you can come to that conclusion TZF.
    But we don't play nobody.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,522

    Default

    The two worst taunting incidents I have ever heard about in terms of college basketball are:

    1) Cal at Oregon during the days of Leon Powe. The Oregon Duck students chanted "This House Is On Fire" when Powe was on the free throw line. As most basketball people know, Powe's family was involved in a horrible tragedy where their house in Oakland (or near Oakland) burned down to the ground. Leon was a young kid and almost died. An incident like that, needless to say, scars a child for life. Fortunately, to my knowledge, everyone made it out alive. He actually started to cry on the foul line. How he maintained his concentration is beyond me. Of course Oregon apologized and the league reprimanded the student section.

    2) Maryland at Virginia during the days of Juan Dixon. As some people on this board know, Juan Dixon is my all-time favorite college basketball player. A player who no one wanted besides Maryland. 6-3, 165 was his listed height and weight at the NBA combine. In 2002 he won the national title, was a consensus first team AA, and the final four MOP. He also played 7 years in the NBA. Juan grew up in Baltimore. Both of his parents died from AIDS before he turned 17 due to sharing dirty needles as heroin users. Actually, in 2016, Dixon discovered that the person who he thought was his dad actually wasn't. His mom had an affair with some other guy. Trauma on to more trauma. Anyway, the Virginia students chanted "Crackhead Parents" at Juan throughout an ACC game. The students were so dumb they didn't even get the name of the drug correct.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,660

    Default

    [QUOTE=sittingon50;1366536]
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Rude, yes. Racial, hardly. Profane, no. Is this where our society has devolved, that a misguided reference to a Disney movie could generate such a kerfuffle?

    Without the person who said this being interviewed, not sure how you can come to that conclusion TZF.
    I read the comments in the ESPN article, and I remembered the Disney movie "Cool Runnings", about the Jamaican bobsled team. Sorry 50, I just don't see anything racial there.

    Whenever somebody breaks wind on court, everyone goes to LeBron for his view on the latest...anything. I'll wait until he has something to say about it, especially since it was one of his fans that did it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The two worst taunting incidents I have ever heard about in terms of college basketball are:

    1) Cal at Oregon during the days of Leon Powe. The Oregon Duck students chanted "This House Is On Fire" when Powe was on the free throw line. As most basketball people know, Powe's family was involved in a horrible tragedy where their house in Oakland (or near Oakland) burned down to the ground. Leon was a young kid and almost died. An incident like that, needless to say, scars a child for life. Fortunately, to my knowledge, everyone made it out alive. He actually started to cry on the foul line. How he maintained his concentration is beyond me. Of course Oregon apologized and the league reprimanded the student section.

    2) Maryland at Virginia during the days of Juan Dixon. As some people on this board know, Juan Dixon is my all-time favorite college basketball player. A player who no one wanted besides Maryland. 6-3, 165 was his listed height and weight at the NBA combine. In 2002 he won the national title, was a consensus first team AA, and the final four MOP. He also played 7 years in the NBA. Juan grew up in Baltimore. Both of his parents died from AIDS before he turned 17 due to sharing dirty needles as heroin users. Actually, in 2016, Dixon discovered that the person who he thought was his dad actually wasn't. His mom had an affair with some other guy. Trauma on to more trauma. Anyway, the Virginia students chanted "Crackhead Parents" at Juan throughout an ACC game. The students were so dumb they didn't even get the name of the drug correct.
    Opposing fans were pretty brutal to Steve Kerr after his father was assassinated.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    18,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Opposing fans were pretty brutal to Steve Kerr after his father was assassinated.
    Those were ASU fans. That was the worst of the worst.
    Patrick Ewing also was racially taunted. Once had a banana thrown on the court.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Don't think our Kennel Club was all that clean back in the day, they said some pretty racial things at black players when I was a student, the worst probably being "I haven't heard one scream like that since I branded one", when an opposing black player let out a yell while going for a ball out of bounds. I just about beat the crap out of him but cooler heads prevailed that night.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •