Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Withers: Huskies, Cougars & Zags Schedule

Default Withers: Huskies, Cougars & Zags Schedule

Mr. Withers posted this a couple of days ago & I missed it. My apologies.

http://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/31...e-zag-schedule
    Last edited by RenoZag; 02-23-2018 at 09:22 PM. Reason: sp
    But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Mr. Withers posted this a couple of days ago & I missed it. My apologies.

http://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/31...e-zag-schedule
    Apology accepted.

I disagree with his assertion there is nothing to be gained by playing WSU

Their rip is 170. Far better than 4 or 5 teams we played which is reason we are struggling to be considered for higher than 4 seed

Power conference game. Either q2 or q3. Far better than a q4 game

High intensity and difficult road environment which is challenging and good learning experience

NCAA selection committee has said road losses do not enter consideration

Capture state and pnw supremacy
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post

Their rip is 170. Far better than 4 or 5 teams we played which is reason we are struggling to be considered for higher than 4 seed

High intensity and difficult road environment which is challenging and good learning experience

But the difference is that the not very stellar RPI teams we play in the OCC do not require a return trip to their place. We have to ask, is it worth giving up a home game every other year to go down and play WSU? We can debate that all we want but it seems that Few and staff have made the decision that they want the home game.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Quote Originally Posted by a13coach View Post
    But the difference is that the not very stellar RPI teams we play in the OCC do not require a return trip to their place. We have to ask, is it worth giving up a home game every other year to go down and play WSU? We can debate that all we want but it seems that Few and staff have made the decision that they want the home game.
    I personally think it’s a bad move for uw to play GU. They are one of the few power 5 schools who operate in the black so they don’t need the $$. Why help GU build their brand in their backyard and fertile recruiting territory.

Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    I personally think it’s a bad move for uw to play GU. They are one of the few power 5 schools who operate in the black so they don’t need the $$. Why help GU build their brand in their backyard and fertile recruiting territory.
    Only a few P5 schools "operate in the black"?

I thought that football and to a lesser extent men's basketball made enough money to be a money maker for most schools in p5 conferences?

Not that your point isn't valid either way. And, just bc something "makes money" doesn't mean someone doesn't want it to make "more" money, I am just inquiring.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    Lorenzo, is that you?

They lied...again!
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

So we want money over seeding enhancement if your view is correct. Ouch

We have North Carolina as the Washington State game replacement......I am good with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    We have North Carolina as the Washington State game replacement......I am good with that.
    But we could pick up 140 rip points by playing WSU instead of Howard or iupui etc

But we could pick up 140 rip points by playing WSU instead of Howard or iupui etc
    We could pick up more by playing Montana or Idaho or Eastern.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Montana, Idaho, Eastern, Howard, IUPUI do not require a return game to their house ---so it is not the same comparison ---North Carolina does --but also provides the RPI boost ---please try again.

So we want money over seeding enhancement if your view is correct. Ouch
    No actually it cost GU more to host those schools. Usually home and home games are cover your own expenses, where as having say North Dakota come in GU foots the bill for the travel and housing. Now GU tries to offset those costs with MAC revenue but only the AD bean counters know the break even/profit numbers. As others have pointed out on here and in the article playing down at WSU is deemed non-beneficial, but playing them at home is of benefit.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Selfishly, the WSU Pullman game was a great way to see the Zags live.

Would much rather pay $70 for a ticket on Craigslist and see them live in the Mac with a house full of Zag fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Would much rather pay $70 for a ticket on Craigslist and see them live in the Mac with a house full of Zag fans.
    Is it that easy?

No actually it cost GU more to host those schools. Usually home and home games are cover your own expenses, where as having say North Dakota come in GU foots the bill for the travel and housing. Now GU tries to offset those costs with MAC revenue but only the AD bean counters know the break even/profit numbers. As others have pointed out on here and in the article playing down at WSU is deemed non-beneficial, but playing them at home is of benefit.
    I am looking at this issue strictly from what would benefit us as to seeding and rpi related issues

Playing WSU home and home clearly would increase our rpi ( win or lose) compared to the games we played this year such as Howard etc

So you are saying

It costs us more money to host sub 200 rpi teams

AND

We suffer in seeding because of playing them

Hmmmmm seems a double negative impact so why are we doing this

I am looking at this issue strictly from what would benefit us as to seeding and rpi related issues

Playing WSU home and home clearly would increase our rpi ( win or lose) compared to the games we played this year such as Howard etc
    yes, but you could do even better than wsu in terms of rpi and still not need a return game...like utah st. for example or as others have mentioned, eastern, montana, and idaho (which also all have the same regional ties as wsu)

So you are saying
    It costs us more money to host sub 200 rpi teams
    AND
    We suffer in seeding because of playing them
    Hmmmmm seems a double negative impact so why are we doing this
    because every team needs some easy games...the problem this year was too many sub 300 rpi games instead of just sub 200.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    because every team needs some easy games...the problem this year was too many sub 300 rpi games instead of just sub 200.
    But we are being penalized for this approach

Even one less so called easy game to be replaced by a mid 150-170 rpi team would have us in the 3 seed discussion

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    yes, but you could do even better than wsu in terms of rpi and still not need a return game...like utah st. for example or as others have mentioned, eastern, montana, and idaho (which also all have the same regional ties as wsu)
    Then go for it but none of those are in a power 5 conference

But we are being penalized for this approach

Even one less so called easy game to be replaced by a mid 150-170 rpi team would have us in the 3 seed discussion
    possibly, but it is not an approach issue...it was a scheduling issue specific to this year. and i'm guessing the scheduling staff didn't anticipate just how bad incarnate word and howard would actually be.

Then go for it but none of those are in a power 5 conference
    true, but none require a return game...and if you plan to only do 2 road non-con games a year, wsu just isn't good enough. in fact, sdsu probably isn't good enough, but they have in recent past (fisher) been better than they are this year.