Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 126 to 146 of 146

Thread: OT: FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussed $100K payment to lock recruit

  1. #126
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    What are the monetary columns? Coaches pay?
    coaches breakdown in salaries

    school pay
    total pay
    max bonus

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    school pay
    total pay
    max bonus
    Thanks.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

  3. #128
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    799

    Default

    I love college basketball. The way it is. Period. OK, give the athletes a stipend of $10K per year on top of scholarships to reward them for their hard work and help pay annual expenses that exceed scholarships, and go to the movies, etc. BUT PLEASE do not start parallel semi-pro leagues that dilute the talent level in college basketball. College isn't for everyone..........well, it should be. We need more kids taking school seriously and staying in school, not less. Free college is a reward, a huge reward, and college shouldn't be perceived as penalizing a kid who just wants to play basketball. We need better citizens and school makes better citizens, and better role models. Playing basketball in the NBA should reward those that play by the rules, study hard, and of course, practice and play harder and better than their rivals. I favor a minimum of two years in college before eligible for the NBA, but I would prefer more years of player/citizen development before eligibility for the huge NBA $$$$. College degrees, not bling, is what we want our role models to show the world. This country has bigger problems that a little graft in college sports and a better educated citizenry will help solve those problems.

  4. #129
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    I love college basketball. The way it is. Period. OK, give the athletes a stipend of $10K per year on top of scholarships to reward them for their hard work and help pay annual expenses that exceed scholarships, and go to the movies, etc. BUT PLEASE do not start parallel semi-pro leagues that dilute the talent level in college basketball. College isn't for everyone..........well, it should be. We need more kids taking school seriously and staying in school, not less. Free college is a reward, a huge reward, and college shouldn't be perceived as penalizing a kid who just wants to play basketball. We need better citizens and school makes better citizens, and better role models. Playing basketball in the NBA should reward those that play by the rules, study hard, and of course, practice and play harder and better than their rivals. I favor a minimum of two years in college before eligible for the NBA, but I would prefer more years of player/citizen development before eligibility for the huge NBA $$$$. College degrees, not bling, is what we want our role models to show the world. This country has bigger problems that a little graft in college sports and a better educated citizenry will help solve those problems.
    I too love college basketball. I don't, however, believe that college makes people better citizens. In fact, it often seems that college educated can be among the worst.

    How many jobs in this country actually need advanced education to be able to perform. Doctors, Architects, Engineers, but not real estate and many jobs that require a degree, but don't care what the degree is in.

    Most workers in this country do not have college degrees, and you use them every day. To say that they aren't good citizens and outstanding people is just wrong.

    Let players that want to go to college play there. The ones that are forced into school because of the NBA age limit should not have to go.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Bilas linked to this article (via his Twitter account) at the University of Buffalo School of Law's "Sports and Entertainment Law Forum,"



    https://ublawsportsforum.com/2018/02...is-your-fault/
    This is exactly why there is so much corruption in cbb; zero enforcement. There is cheating that goes on in every area of sports, business, politics, etc whether private or public, amateur or professional, for profit or non-profit. The only way to create an even playing field is to rigorously enforce rules and the NCAA has been an abject failure. You think MLB’s crackdown on steroids has eliminated cheating in that sport? Heck no, people still try to dope, organizations try to steal signs and break the intl player rules. BUT the sport is still a ton cleaner than it used to be and better off for it.

  6. #131
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I too love college basketball. I don't, however, believe that college makes people better citizens. In fact, it often seems that college educated can be among the worst.

    How many jobs in this country actually need advanced education to be able to perform. Doctors, Architects, Engineers, but not real estate and many jobs that require a degree, but don't care what the degree is in.

    Most workers in this country do not have college degrees, and you use them every day. To say that they aren't good citizens and outstanding people is just wrong.

    Let players that want to go to college play there. The ones that are forced into school because of the NBA age limit should not have to go.
    If you think paying the players is going to magically fix the current system you are crazy. Is Tillie worth the same as Beech? The outside & internal forces will continue to prey on the highly regarded kids. Buying into this theory is distracting from the real problem in college athletics which is how do you get rid or eliminate the greed? You think Lavar Ball cares about a school paying 10k a month when he can go behind the scenes and score 250k a month? It’s a feel good measure with no systemic impact other than it forces dozens of schools to drop out of Div 1A basketball because it’s too expensive to pay all of their athletes.

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    799

    Default

    I never said or meant to imply any person that doesn't attend college is not a good citizen. My point is that a well informed population functions better than an uninformed one. Period. There aren't many PhD's out there robbing 7/11's. Sad that we have to import people with degrees because we don't generate enough skilled workers in the US. People who play college sports and have degrees are better role models than bling, $$$, etc.

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    I never said or meant to imply any person that doesn't attend college is not a good citizen. My point is that a well informed population functions better than an uninformed one. Period. There aren't many PhD's out there robbing 7/11's. Sad that we have to import people with degrees because we don't generate enough skilled workers in the US. People who play college sports and have degrees are better role models than bling, $$$, etc.
    You are relegating workers in trades, the arts and service industry into second class status. I disagree with your premise that higher education makes anyone more informed.

    How many high school drop outs have raided a retirement fund in a hostile takover? How many have found loopholes on Wall Street? The rich rob just as much, or more, than the poor. They just do it differently and may be the reason that the poor are put in the position to need to rob. Speculation on my part, true, but still a possibility.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    799

    Default

    Obviously there are criminals at all education and income levels, but the crime rate and level of education are inversely proportional. As the level of education increases, the number of criminals decreases.
    Back to basketball. Schools are for education and sports are an important part of that educational experience for a lot of students. There are thousands of college athletes in dozens of sports and compared to society as a whole, a very very small percentage of them are corrupt or engage in criminal acts.

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I too love college basketball. I don't, however, believe that college makes people better citizens. In fact, it often seems that college educated can be among the worst.

    How many jobs in this country actually need advanced education to be able to perform. Doctors, Architects, Engineers, but not real estate and many jobs that require a degree, but don't care what the degree is in.

    Most workers in this country do not have college degrees, and you use them every day. To say that they aren't good citizens and outstanding people is just wrong.

    Let players that want to go to college play there. The ones that are forced into school because of the NBA age limit should not have to go.
    Completely agree...i will add that with boom of online universities, etc...the internet is the New educational system. Anything you want to learn about is readily available to anyone who wants to learn.
    I am working on being a more all around square.

  11. #136
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    I never said or meant to imply any person that doesn't attend college is not a good citizen. My point is that a well informed population functions better than an uninformed one. Period. There aren't many PhD's out there robbing 7/11's. Sad that we have to import people with degrees because we don't generate enough skilled workers in the US. People who play college sports and have degrees are better role models than bling, $$$, etc.
    I bet there are a lot of addicts out there committing all sorts of crimes.

    Lets look at one of the biggest causes of the nations opiate crisis. Doctors and the pharmaceutical industry.

    People caring more about kickbacks and money than the downstream effects of opiate addiction. Its why we have cities suing these companies because they were fully aware of what they were doing and the outcomes.

    Doctors get kicks backs from the drugs they prescribe. So much so that rather than trying to figure out whats best for the patient they push a certain drug or treatment because they will get that kickback.
    http://www.newsweek.com/big-pharma-o...-arrest-694154
    https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist....rug-kickbacks/

    Look to the countless cities, counties and states dealing with mass opiate addiction across the country. Look to the manufacturers, marketers, distributors and doctors who were/are pushing opiates down peoples throats when they knew better but just wanted that extra money.

    http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/M...t-Against-Opio
    The lawsuit alleges, among several counts, that the drug companies violated the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act and created a public nuisance by disseminating false and misleading statements about the risks and benefits of opioids. This false marketing included medical journal advertising, sales representative statements, and the use of front groups to deliver information which downplayed the risks and inflated the benefits of certain formulations of opioids. This behavior proliferated the prescription of opioids and fueled the opioid epidemic Ohio is currently facing.
    So please tell me more about how these educated folk are so much better than the average Joe who puts his head down and goes to work every day building our society and keeping it running.

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,228

    Default

    CDC, your inbox is full. Sorry all for the off-topic.

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,520

    Default

    I got rid of some of the emails. Trying to get my inbox expanded.

    I posted this on the main board, but I will also post it here. TSN did a fantastic article on what FANS want out of college basketball. That's what really counts. We're the ones buying the tickets, the team jackets, the TV dish packages, etc.

    http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...l1wqn0lr5kul7x

  14. #139
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lacrosse, Washington
    Posts
    8,011

    Default

    So miles bridges pays back the 40 dollars does that give credence to the ledger?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

    Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

  15. #140
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    48,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    So miles bridges pays back the 40 dollars does that give credence to the ledger?
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ncaa-violation

    All of this reminds me of the scene in Blazing Saddles where the territorial governor, played by Mel Brooks, says "Gentlemen ! We've got to protect our phoney baloney jobs !!"


    The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

    “They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

  16. #141
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,520

    Default

    Saw Blazzing Saddles again the other night. What a classic. And I am not a huge movie person.

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Saw Blazzing Saddles again the other night. What a classic. And I am not a huge movie person.
    Richard Pryor was one of the writers. Oh, to have been a fly in the room at the same time with Mel Brooks and Pryor.

  18. #143
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    So miles bridges pays back the 40 dollars does that give credence to the ledger?
    I have read that this is the way that small violations have been dealt with for many years. Of course, it is easier to do now that there is a stipend. Still, many believe that Bridges could have signed a multi million dollar deal, had he come out after last season. Since he elected to go back to school this year, it seems unlikely that he would jeopardize that contract by having a $40 meal with an agent.

    For very small amounts, I can live with this solution. It wasn't a loan, a ticket to fly, a car or anything really meaningful. It was a lunch that a family member had with an agent, and he didn't know about it.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

  19. #144
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,520

    Default

    There are coaches who will tell you that 99% of all schools in D-1 take advantage of "extra benefits" in the sense of a coach buying a milkshake for a kid who just lost his mom, or the AD giving change to a kid to call his brother because his cell phone battery died. This stuff happens all the time, and it's only when the NCAA doesn't like you that they choose to nail you for these small items. The NCAA rule book is way too big and complex, and the "extra benefit" area of the book can be interpreted in a lot of different ways. Like others have expressed, I could really care less about super minor incidents. A NBA prospect isn't going to be persuaded to stay another year at Bowling Green because the coach bought him a milkshake. It's the cars, the big money....that sort of thing that is real troubling (needless to say).

  20. #145
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lacrosse, Washington
    Posts
    8,011

    Default

    Arizona board regents set to meet Thursday over Miller status

    Only logical reason to meet is to remove him
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

    Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,671

    Default

    I don't think this has been posted, it's instructive IMO.
    http://ux.azcentral.com/story/sports...p-z/379456002/

    "Obviously the attorneys are the ones slugging it out right now. The UA is trying to decide what outcome it wants the most. I think one thing that has gone unsaid is ‘Is there anything else coming in regards to Sean Miller?’ I think from the beginning that has colored this whole thing with the attorneys and especially with the UofA is 'Is this just the only thing that’s going to be mentioned with Sean Miller with illicit recruiting? Maybe he wants to get out of here because he knows it’s inevitable four, seven months from now there’s going to be more mentions of him in this."
    And this
    https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...tus/381312002/

    Jon Wilner writes: "In a world where the ESPN story is lacking vital context or completely wrong, there is only one outcome: Mutual separation. That would undoubtedly be a difficult path for Miller if he’s convinced of his own innocence and believes his reputation has been unfairly tarnished. But lacking the ability to blast away all the murky issues — those known and those looming — how can he function effectively as the head coach? Miller agrees to move on; he gets paid handsomely for doing so; he goes after ESPN; and eventually, he works again. It is the best thing for the program, and Miller has always stated he wants what’s best for the program. For Arizona, the separation would mitigate the seemingly inevitable NCAA sanctions (failure to monitor, etc) and provide an essential fresh start. The climb out of the muck with Miller in charge would simply be too difficult and would take too long. It’s time to move on."
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •