Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OT: FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussed $100K payment to lock recruit

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Arizona will announce Miller's departure first thing Monday morning. Look for LSU's Wade to be a hot commodity to replace him

BTW I called this several months ago when the FBI visited Miller at his house.
    HO-LE Sh!t

Yes , I do remember you saying that. Did you know something or just guessing?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    It has to be good for the NCAA. They may lose out on the best, but the rest will have a level playing field.
    Agreed, we're only talking about a handful of players. There are very few teams that rely on the one and dones. Bodes well for teams like GU, who really develop their players over a 3-5 year period.

I believe GU has ran a clean program, but even the mention of money in the past on this board has me a little bit concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    You better believe banks have turned over financial records for accounts requested under a subpoena.
    Almost certainly. This is only the beginning. Let’s see if Miller cut a deal. My guess is he did.

Man...... the 5 stages the fans must be going through right now.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Curious to see how Coach K’s smug shot looks whenever he gets in front of a camera and discusses this, if he ever does. That’s one program I won’t mind seeing get some come uppance
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

When college coaches get paid MILLIONS because “amateur athletics” provide entertainment that creates a BILLION dollar TV contract....who woulda thunk there’d be a problem

UA Board of Regents should be part of the fallout too. What benefactor / Donor would Trust this school w their money after decisions like this?:

Miller, 49, is a three-time Pac-12 Conference Coach of the Year and has a 242-72 record in his ninth season with the Wildcats. The Arizona Board of Regents approved a contact extension for him in February 2017, which increased his annual salary to at least $2.9 million through 2022. He has denied knowledge of Richardson's alleged scheme to bribe players to sign with Arizona.

"As the head basketball coach at the University of Arizona, I recognize my responsibility is not only to establish a culture of success on the basketball court and in the classroom, but as important, to promote and reinforce a culture of compliance," Miller said in a statement released in September. "To the best of my ability, I have worked to demonstrate this over the past eight years and will continue to do so as we move forward."

If Miller is fired for cause, his contract is written in such a way that he would still receive more than 85 percent of the money he is owed through May 31, 2022.

Miller's contract provides that even if he is fired with cause, the university would have to pay his base salary. The contract defines his base salary as his salary plus his peripheral salary. That adds up to roughly $10.3 million through May 2022. The only part that Miller wouldn't be entitled to is $1.7 million from Nike and IMG that is due to him if he completes his contract.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Yes, and what "source" is gonna involve the fbi if it wasn't true? Zona's done, Miller will be gone by tomorrow at the latest and Ayton has played his last game. Recruits will all bail. They're toast. Read their board, their own fans are resolved:

http://beardownwildcats.com/viewtopi...=59&start=4200
    Thanks for the link, spy.
    But we don't play nobody.

LOL! Where’s seacatfan? Your scumbag Coach can’t even buy his way to the Final Four
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Well, I hope this doesn’t mean the end of the Mark Few/Tommy Lloyd era.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    The FBI doesnt have jurisdiction in Europe. (Sarcasm, I hope).

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    UA Board of Regents should be part of the fallout too. What benefactor / Donor would Trust this school w their money after decisions like this?:
    Wow. Whoever wrote that contract should be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    The FBI doesnt have jurisdiction in Europe. (Sarcasm, I hope).
    Think of what value a successful recruiting, clean coach now commands on the market place.

Our recruits are going to be under pressure now too.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    Wow. Whoever wrote that contract should be fired.
    Miller had better representation than the university. . .

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

I don't see how any of these allegations against Miller could be true. I'm pretty sure I remember the U of A Admin conducting an internal investigation back in Oct and releasing a statement that Miller was in the clear. Can anybody verify that?
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    could be the retirement opportunity of a lifetime for Mark Few.....ask double what Miller was making and sign a 6 year contract and retire after completion.

could be a bidding War Ducks & Cats ....

Sean will be on the tweet trolling like Keating soon...

Sad story for sure
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Yes, and what "source" is gonna involve the fbi if it wasn't true? Zona's done, Miller will be gone by tomorrow at the latest and Ayton has played his last game. Recruits will all bail. They're toast. Read their board, their own fans are resolved:

http://beardownwildcats.com/viewtopi...=59&start=4200
    Thanks for the link. Reading all the comments on that thread was depressing. Feel sorry for their devoted fans. Just think, today was their game day - best day - they wake up this morning and realize the nightmare is real. Terrible times.

I know I’ll be watching ESPN tonight to see if Romar coaches...

How does paying players a stipend or a wage help end this? There will still be shady people offering them more money to sign with their school.

Quote Originally Posted by GorgeZag View Post
    How does paying players a stipend or a wage help end this? There will still be shady people offering them more money to sign with their school.
    Exactly, has absolutely nothing to do with this scandal whatsoever. Just people pushing their agenda through any available means.

My solution would be:

NBA doesn’t take one and dones anymore. Two years college.
    NBA expands and invests in D league.
    Some kids will take chances on D-league stuff, the draft, etc.
    Kids get one shot under 20 to move from D-league to College. 2 year clock starts then.
    D-league draft and separate nba draft. Can only be nba or dleague drafted senior year of HS or at 18.
    Stipend of some sort. Ability to work, etc for athletes. (This is the hardest part)

Yet none of those things stops coaches from doing whatever it takes to get top recruits. Bottom line is some coaches will do whatever it takes to win. And the other bottom line is the NCAA will never ever truly come down hard on the big boys for doing it. They are already scapegoating the SYSTEM rather than the pepretrators.
    Its absolute nonsense to blame the rules and rule makers for breaking the rules rather than the ones actually breaking the rules. Arizona should get the death penalty for something as bad as this, if true. Arizona has doubled down on protecting Miller and found their scapegoat in the assistant as if Miller doesn't tell his assistants who and what they should go after and how.

All over the news here in PX. Just cause shown for wiretap, got him dead to right. An assistant coach was in that group of ten that were arrested. Really ugly down here.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Miller tells his kids not coaching tonight
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few