Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OT: FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussed $100K payment to lock recruit

According to Kevin Connors on Sportscenter, Arizona offerered one of Miller's statements from October as comment.

This is what one of the Arizona message board insiders thinks is/should happen:

The way forward out of this hellish mess:

Assuming this is true........and Heeke needs to get Miller in his office in front of him ASAP and demand a full accounting:

1) Fire Miller...........asap
    2) Suspend Ayton from the team.........immediately
    3) After consultation with the NCAA......Self Sanction immediately including NOT playing in the upcoming NCAA tourney.
    Please don't shriek "Win and Vacate" at me. That slogan was always silly, if not downright stupid. Without Trier/Ayton we
    are not going anywhere. By taking the NCAA sanction hit now it will speed the recovery process for the program. If missing
    the 2018 tourney coupled with firing the coach and accepting the loss of a scholarship or two will placate the NCAA we should
    take it and RUN. This would allow the next coach to start recruiting the 2019 class without the threat of further sanctions
    hanging over the program
    4) Hire a new coach NOT IMPLICATED in the scandal. The Cincy/TTech coaches both look good to me. The faster we get out ahead
    of the "hiring a new coach game" the better...........there will be a number of other programs that will probably end up firing
    their coaches which will result in coaches like Cronin seeing a rapid rise in their market value

http://beardownwildcats.com/viewtopi...=59&start=4200

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Is there a penalty for the players who took the money? I’m thinking about Kyle Kuzma who is a terrific rookie for the Lakers.
    IRS
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Doubt this holds

Any good attorney would have this dismissed as nothing more than a passing comment...

"I'd pay a million dollars to have a Snickers ice cream bar on this hot day."

That's all it is.

We know butter but this recording wont hold up.

No proof of anything. Just happenstance while speaking about how badly he wanted Ayton to be a Wildcat

As is, "he'd give anything, even a 100 grand to get this kid to commit".

But no evidence of paying anyone, anything.

Sean was just saying he would be willing to lay out all the stops...

That's it. Just discourse.

While we know there was most likely more, this is soft case

Is there a penalty for the players who took the money? I’m thinking about Kyle Kuzma who is a terrific rookie for the Lakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I don't think there is anything that can be done to players that went pro - maybe if they graduated with a degree it could be revoked? As for current players they're gonna be persona non grata at their respective programs pretty soon.
    If they broke federal law, and are still within the statutes of limitation, there is no reason for them NOT to be charged and tried. Then jailed.

They knew it was against the law and did it anyway. There needs to be examples made. Maybe lighter sentences, but still sentenced.

After ALL the fallout is dealt with, going forward laws can be changed, athletes can be paid, but those that commited the crime need to do the time.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Doubt this holds

Any good attorney would have this dismissed as nothing more than a passing comment...

That's all it is.

No proof of anything. Just happenstance while speaking about how badly he wanted Ayton to be a Wildcat

Will you please share the entire transcript?

I think you are just guessing. I believe that the FBI wiretap is more than conjecture. I think Miller is done and gone.

I don't know how the idea that athletes aren't paid to play college ball. They all receive, or could receive a college degree, and that adds up to thousands of dollars. To me a college degree is worth far more than a $70,000 pay-out. what's a college degree worth now at GU? I hope the NCAA NEVER agrees to pay college athletes. College basketball's beauty has always been that the athletes are not paid, and therefore not professional. The kids play for the love of the game, just like they always did. I believe if individuals have been involved in paying the athletes or their parents, or both, then they should suffer the consequences. That's what laws are for. I hope if individuals are found guilty that they suffer a lot for the consequences. I'm sorry but I'm not one who feels sympathy for the athletes or coaches, and the excuse that everyone does it is just lame. I'm tired of coaches breaking the law and getting away with it. I'm tired of Universities turning their heads as if to not see what's going on, They should know if they don't.

I'm so glad we have the kind of coaches we have at GU and Mark Few is one coach who has done it the right way, and is so respected for doing it that way. Clean. I will sleep tonight knowing Gonzaga is not involved in this sort of thing.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Doubt this holds

That's all it is.

Sarcasm? The dude is gonna be fired before tomorrows game, book it, Aytons done, the program is toast. There's over 3000 hours of wiretaps, you think Zona is the only school that paid for stud recruits. This is HUGE!

Also, this isn't ONLY a courtroom issue. The NCAA can still crack down on Arizona, even if that wiretap doesn't hold up in court. And Arizona can still fire Miller, even if that tape doesn't hold up.

Trier as they might there is no way Sean Miller and Arizona get out of this.

PS Malik Pope was suspended tonight bySDSU for his role in the FBI investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post

PS Malik Pope was suspended tonight bySDSU for his role in the FBI investigation.
    PPS Kansas is also screwed with the Ayton news because Sean Miller was in a bidding war with them to sign him.

If Arizona does not fire Miller, that is a much more serious problem for that university.

I saw what you did there, nice little pun.

PPS Kansas is also screwed with the Ayton news because Sean Miller was in a bidding war with them to sign him.
    And Arizona was in a bidding war with Duke for Bagley who went to high school with Ayton. Duke is in deep Doo Doo also. My two least favorite programs in the country, Duke and Arizona are going down hard.

Miller didn't lose all that weight from good diet & exercise; he lost it from the stress of being a freakin' crooked b@stard. . .

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Miller didn't lose all that weight from good diet & exercise; he lost it from the stress of being a freakin' crooked b@stard. . .
    I have a feeling all of the blue bloods are going to go down, and go down hard. Believe me I highly doubt Ayton was the only study recruit getting paid. I just hope to God that we are not involved in anyway shape or form. I mean Zach Collins is the only Mickey Dees All American we've ever had and he was one and done but maybe it's my homerism I just don't think that's the kind of operation that Few runs.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    I have a feeling all of the blue bloods are going to go down, and go down hard. Believe me I highly doubt Ayton was the only study recruit getting paid. I just hope to God that we are not involved in anyway shape or form. I mean Zach Collins is the only Mickey Dees All American we've ever had and he was one and done but maybe it's my homerism I just don't think that's the kind of operation that Few runs.
    I hope not. We also don't get NBA recruits like a duke or AZ. I'm nervous but hold faith we are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I don't know how the idea that athletes aren't paid to play college ball. They all receive, or could receive a college degree, and that adds up to thousands of dollars. To me a college degree is worth far more than a $70,000 pay-out. what's a college degree worth now at GU? I hope the NCAA NEVER agrees to pay college athletes. College basketball's beauty has always been that the athletes are not paid, and therefore not professional. The kids play for the love of the game, just like they always did. I believe if individuals have been involved in paying the athletes or their parents, or both, then they should suffer the consequences. That's what laws are for. I hope if individuals are found guilty that they suffer a lot for the consequences. I'm sorry but I'm not one who feels sympathy for the athletes or coaches, and the excuse that everyone does it is just lame. I'm tired of coaches breaking the law and getting away with it. I'm tired of Universities turning their heads as if to not see what's going on, They should know if they don't.

I'm so glad we have the kind of coaches we have at GU and Mark Few is one coach who has done it the right way, and is so respected for doing it that way. Clean. I will sleep tonight knowing Gonzaga is not involved in this sort of thing.

Go Zags!!!
    I'm with you Bornie. Yes, the landscape has changed...however, no matter how much you pay the players, it will never be enough...so, why start on a path leading to absolutely no good?

The only solution I see is to handle scholarship athletes like they do for ROTC students: pay for all educational expenses, plus a monthly stipend (now $500-$600 a month, I was paid $100 a month when I was at GU). There's plenty of money nowadays to do that for everyone, just pay them the same. If the studs in the revenue sports don't like it, let them turn pro.

For the guilty ones, I want perp walks and prison time if convicted.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    And Arizona was in a bidding war with Duke for Bagley who went to high school with Ayton. Duke is in deep Doo Doo also. My two least favorite programs in the country, Duke and Arizona are going down hard.
    And Mark Cuban is on his knees tonight, thanking God for getting him off the front pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    I hope not. We also don't get NBA recruits like a duke or AZ. I'm nervous but hold faith we are fine.
    We're fine. Hell, the Gonzaga campus is so small, everyone knows who cut class that day. It was much easier to identify the culprits back in my day, when there were 2000 undergrads on campus, but the principle remains the same.

Colin Cowherd this morning said that Silver, NBA commish, is going to start academies for gifted basketball players. They will be able to attend the academy high schools and graduate to the G league and/or NBA.

No more one and done.

Doubt this holds

That's all it is.

You could be correct, but I disagree. You could attempt that course, but success is no where as certain as you proclaim it to be. ANY GOOD attorney would inform you of the many factors that may or may not imply including the multitude of jurisdictional codes, to how the coffee upset the Judge's tummy that that day. Good, bad, indifferent it depends on too many variables to say for certainty a wiretap will be dismissed as hearsay.

The Feds already know everything they need to. An order of magnitude compared to what has been currently displayed. At the least.

My guess would be that this is only the beginning for Miller and others.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Colin Cowherd this morning said that Silver, NBA commish, is going to start academies for gifted basketball players. They will be able to attend the academy high schools and graduate to the G league and/or NBA.

No more one and done.
    We knew this was coming. Adam Silver is a very progressive fellow, and knows that the NBA can no longer look to the NCAA for free player development anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandzag View Post
    You could be correct, but I disagree. You could attempt that course, but success is no where as certain as you proclaim it to be. ANY GOOD attorney would inform you of the many factors that may or may not imply including the multitude of jurisdictional codes, to how the coffee upset the Judge's tummy that that day. Good, bad, indifferent it depends on too many variables to say for certainty a wiretap will be dismissed as hearsay.

The Feds already know everything they need to. A fraction of what has been currently displayed. My guess would be that this is only the beginning for Miller and others.
    You better believe banks have turned over financial records for accounts requested under a subpoena.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    We knew this was coming. Adam Silver is a very progressive fellow, and knows that the NBA can no longer look to the NCAA for free player development anymore.
    It has to be good for the NCAA. They may lose out on the best, but the rest will have a level playing field.