Thread: Kylee Griffen and Lake Stevens win district

Default Kylee Griffen and Lake Stevens win district

In her last go around finally captures district title that has been eluding her the previous 3 years. Now move on to regionals.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Dh3rAfD_a_hI-M

Thanks Cat,

ZagDad

To provide some equal "Pub" to our other Lady Zag Signee, here is some information on Melody Kempton and her fellow Post Falls HS teammates.

Six must-see players, plus sizing up the top teams to watch at state girls basketball

By Michael Lycklama
    mlycklama@idahostatesman.com
    February 14, 2018 07:59 PM
    Updated February 15, 2018 06:53 AM

Years of work pay off this week as the high school girls basketball state tournament tips off Thursday around the Treasure Valley, with championships coming Saturday at the Ford Idaho Center.

The 5A tournament features two of the best teams in the West, not just Idaho. Perennial 4A powers Bishop Kelly and Middleton appear destined for another rematch in the state finals. And undefeated Melba is seeking to end East Idaho’s dominance in 2A.

We break down the top players to watch this weekend and the race for a title in each classification.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Melody Kempton, Post Falls
    The 6-foot senior forward leads the Trojans on both ends of the court with 15.9 points, 8 rebounds and 2.8 blocks per game. The Gonzaga signee is Post Falls’ career leader in all three categories.

Katelyn Murray, Eagle
    The 6-foot senior forward and Army signee headlines a loaded, balanced and undefeated squad with 13 points and 6.2 rebounds per game.

Lydia Nieto, Bishop Kelly
    The defending 4A All-Idaho Player of the Year can take over a game in a heartbeat with her long-range shooting and her slicing drives.

Grace Kirscher, Sandpoint
    The 6-1 senior forward earned first-team 4A All-Idaho honors last year, averages 19.5 points per game and has signed with Eastern Washington.

Madison Jackson, Parma
    The junior point guard has offers from Montana, Montana State and Weber State. She’s averaging 19.1 points, 8.3 rebounds and 5.5 steals per game.

Kori Pentzer, Melba
    The Weber State signee and reigning 2A All-Idaho Player of the Year led the Mustangs to an undefeated season while averaging 19.9 points, 4.8 steals, 2.6 assists and 1.1 blocks per game.

CLASS 5A
    THE FAVORITE

EAGLE: The undefeated Mustangs (24-0) have carried the heavy favorite status all season, finishing the year as the state’s wire-to-wire No. 1 team. They’ve started to draw national attention as well, earning the No. 25 spot in the latest USA Today Super 25 rankings.

With four starters and eight players back from last season’s state runner-up, the Mustangs have steamrolled opponents, with an average margin of victory of 25 points. Only five of Eagle’s games have been decided by single digits. The closest was six points (Borah, Kuna and Bishop Kelly).

Eagle will run a 10-deep rotation and has three players with a Division I future. Murray has signed with Army, guard Janie King has signed with Idaho and junior point guard Meghan Boyd has offers from Idaho, Utah Valley and Denver.

THE CONTENDER

POST FALLS: If not for Eagle’s undefeated season, Post Falls would be grabbing all the headlines.

The Trojans (21-2) went 3-1 in December at the Tarkanian Classic, one of the top tournaments in the country. And their only losses came on the road against Nevada’s Liberty (28-2) and Washington state’s No. 1-ranked team, Central Valley (22-0).

Gonzaga signee Melody Kempton (15.9 ppg, 8 rebounds, 2.8 blocks) draws the most attention from opponents. But Bayley Brennan (14.3 ppg), a Seattle Pacific signee, and Tyler McCliment-Call (12.9 ppg, 5.4 assists) keep teams from drawing up exotic defenses to slow her.

THE DARK HORSE

BONNEVILLE: East Idaho teams are a combined 40-82 at the 5A state tournament and have won just 10 of the 88 state trophies since 1995, the last time one of its teams (Pocatello) reached the state finals.

But Bonneville (22-1) proved it belongs with Idaho’s powerhouses with a 2-1 performance at the TimberLion Tournament over the holidays, including a 10-point win over first-round opponent Mountain View.

The Bees are still young, but they also field 5A’s stingiest defense at 33.3 points per game allowed.
    Article Link: http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports...200196084.html

ZagDad

Here is an update to the above Article.

Post Falls and Eagle are both in the semi-finals of the 5A tournament on opposite sides of the bracket. Eagle plays at 6:15 PM tonight against Mountain View and Post falls plays at 8:00 PM tonight against Borah for the right to play for the Idaho 5A championship.

Here is a link to the State Championship Brackets - All Classifications: http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports...199004614.html

Link to Idaho 5A Championship Bracket: https://view.publitas.com/p222-12247...5a-2018/page/1

ZagDad

Default Kylee Griffen and Lake Stevens win district

Melody went for 20 pts, 11 rebounds, and 10 blocks yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Melody went for 20 pts, 11 rebounds, and 10 blocks yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Awesome. Merely a triple-double.

Welcome Corky.

ZagDad

Update on the Idaho 5A girl's semi-final games:

Eagle beats Mountain View 54-53 in overtime.

Post Falls beats Borah 47-45

Division 5A Championship Game is tomorrow, Eagle vs Post Falls at 8:00 PM

ZagDad

Post Falls Wbb are the Idaho 5A State Champs. The ladies from Post Falls avenged a semi-final defeat to Eagle last year to win this years 5A girls basketball state championship.

Incoming GU recruit Melody Kempton fought foul trouble on Saturday night but ended up with 13 points and 9 rebounds in the championship game. Here are some links for the post game summary:

NW Preps Now Link: http://www.nwprepsnow.com/stories/20...unbeaten-eagl/

Coeur d'Alene Press Link: http://www.cdapress.com/sports/20180218/all_in_for_no_1

Idaho Statesman Link: http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports...0787454.html#1

For those interested, Melody had 15 points and 10 rebounds in the semi-final victory over Borah and made the critical pass for the game winning 3. Here is a write-up on the semi-final game.

NW Presps Now: http://www.nwprepsnow.com/stories/20...ls-late-3-poi/

When reading these articles, maybe CLF might want to take a look at the Post Falls Sophomore Guard Tyler McCliment-Call. She averaged around 23 points and 8 rebounds per game during the tournament.

Congrats to Melody and all of the Trojan ladies. Great Job.

ZagDad

For those who may have missed it, Melody was also named one of KXLY 4's shining star. Here is a link to the article and video.

KXLY Shining Star Link: https://www.kxly.com/sports/high-sch...pton/686445611

3-time (possible 4-time) all-state basketball and track and field player plus a 4.0 GPA.

Great job Melody.

We got a good one coming in next year guys.

ZagDad

This tread needs some pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Two exceptional Ladies that will step onto the court in The MAC in Zag Jerseys in less than 9 months from now!

I wonder what their numbers will be. Hmmmm. My guess would be..... maybe...... 33 and 44? Just a guess.

Readers: - Back up one post. I posted two in a row that should have been one post.

The two Ladies in action.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks Zagineer.

Everything is better with pictures.

ZagDad

Griffen sat out the Regional game w/ a sprained ankle and Lake Stevens lost. They have one more shot w/ a loser out game, winner advances to State.

Seattle Times: Meet the Seattle area’s boys and girls high-school basketball stars of 2017-18

Kylee Griffen
    School: Lake Stevens
    Position: Forward
    Height: 6-1
    Year: Sr.

The WesCo 4A MVP played multiple positions, but she will play guard for Gonzaga this fall. She averaged 21.5 points and 10.0 rebounds per game her senior season, topping 1,300 points for her career.

Seattle Times Article Link

Griffen returned from an injury for yesterday's play-in round of the State Tourney. Had 20 points and 12 rebounds in a losing effort. Lake Stevens fell to Kentlake 57-42.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Griffen returned from an injury for yesterday's play-in round of the State Tourney. Had 20 points and 12 rebounds in a losing effort. Lake Stevens fell to Kentlake 57-42.
    The game last night ended their season...but it prevented them from getting curb stomped by Central Valley and the Hull twins today. Ouch! CV beat Kentlake 61-16.

edited--CV held Kentlake scoreless for the ENTIRE 2ND HALF! That is just crazy.
    Last edited by seacatfan; 03-02-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Not sure if anyone is interested, but Central Valley is crushing Woodinville 42-11 at the half, well on their way to a State Championship. Gonzaga Prep won the boys 4A Title earlier, could be a clean sweep for Spokane area high schools for 4A.

The game last night ended their season...but it prevented them from getting curb stomped by Central Valley and the Hull twins today. Ouch! CV beat Kentlake 61-16.

edited--CV held Kentlake scoreless for the ENTIRE 2ND HALF! That is just crazy.
    CV Girls easily win the 4A championship 70-39. Having 3 D1 commits on one team will do that for you but the CV girls program is very strong and could be good for quite awhile. e.g. CV varsity girls went undefeated in the regular season winning by an average of 38 points (closest contest was 11pt win, largest 76), the undefeated JV by 32 (closest 4pt, largest 60) and the also undefeated Frosh by 52 (closest 14, largest 67 x3)!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

CV won 70-39.

This is already off topic, but it's my thread so it's okay. Cashmere has a very highly rated prospect (top 10 nationally for '20). They've lost 1 possession games two years in a row for the 1A Championship. Tonight Lynden Christian got them by 2.

The 3A Title game is STILL happening. It's midnight. That's kind of ridiculous. Still 1 1/2 minutes left in the game.

Gig Harbor wins their first ever state title at 12:10 a.m. Garfield just misses getting men's and women's titles.

CV won 70-39.

This is already off topic, but it's my thread so it's okay. Cashmere has a very highly rated prospect (top 10 nationally for '20). They've lost 1 possession games two years in a row for the 1A Championship. Tonight Lynden Christian got them by 2.
    Yeah, I posted an ESPN article on her a couple of months ago. She is an extremely talented and dedicated BB player. I don't hold out much hope as UConn has her on its radar.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Yeah, I posted an ESPN article on her a couple of months ago. She is an extremely talented and dedicated BB player. I don't hold out much hope as UConn has her on its radar.

ZagDad
    She's only a sophomore, but she seems to be keeping her recruitment really close to the vest. I don't think she's announced a list of schools she's looking at so far. I really hope she stays somewhere out west. Washington hardly ever has prospects rated that highly. Coincidentally in the same class there is a player from Portland, OR area that is also in the top 10. Also on UConn's radar. Hope she stays out west as well.

Kylee Griffen is the Herald's Girl's basketball player of the year. From The Herald in Everett, WA.

Girls Basketball Player of the Year: Kylee Griffen
    The Gonzaga-bound senior star keyed Lake Stevens’ breakthrough season.
    by Cameron Van Til

LAKE STEVENS — At an early age, Kylee Griffen experienced the excitement of state-tournament basketball under the bright lights of the Tacoma Dome. Back when her father, Dexter, was the Mariner boys coach, a young Griffen served as the team’s water girl during trips to the Hardwood Classic. “That was always super exciting,” she said. But for the first three years of her high school career at Lake Stevens, Griffen’s quest to reach state as a player was an agonizing series of near-misses. The Vikings lost six consecutive winner-to-state contests over those three years, including three season-ending defeats by a combined seven points. This year, the Griffen-led Vikings broke through.
    The ultra-talented 6-foot-2 senior capped her spectacular prep career by leading Lake Stevens to Wesco 4A and Northwest District titles, the latter of which sent the Vikings to the Hardwood Classic in the Tacoma Dome.

“It felt really good,” Griffen said. “The first three years of it ending the same way was really disappointing. So that moment when the buzzer finally went off (after we won) the district championship, it was amazing.” Griffen, a versatile small forward and Gonzaga University signee, recorded 13 double-doubles this season and averaged 20.9 points, 10.5 rebounds and three assists per game.

For her sensational campaign, Griffen is The Herald’s 2018 Girls Basketball Player of the Year.

“It’s just a byproduct of her work ethic, her tenacious attitude and great motor,” Lake Stevens coach Randy Edens said of his star senior’s success. “Ultimately, that’s what’s going to make her a fantastic Division I player for Gonzaga. She’s always had that.”

Griffen, a four-year starter, topped 1,300 career points and was a first-team All-Wesco 4A selection all four seasons of her prep career. “Her legacy here is going to last a long time,” Edens said. Of her numerous standout performances, perhaps the most impressive came Dec. 22 when she tied a single-game school record with 42 points against eventual 3A state quarterfinalist Seattle Prep. “It was one of those things where she was doing it from outside, inside, the free-throw line — it didn’t really matter,” Edens said. “They had nobody who could stop her.”

Griffen, ranked by ESPN as the No. 87 senior recruit in the nation, is a unique talent with impressive versatility. After growing up primarily as a post player, she expanded her game in high school while playing a mix of guard and forward. Though she spent more time in the post this season due to team personnel, her well-rounded arsenal was a massive luxury for the Vikings.

“We could do a little bit of everything (with her),” Edens said. Griffen dominated teams inside with her polished post moves and relentless rebounding. From the perimeter, she used her length and agility to drive past defenders to the basket. And she’s developing a smooth outside shooting stroke to further prepare her for the college level, where she is expected to play guard. “You’re really kind of hamstrung with what you can do defensively (against her),” Edens said. “It’s not like (she has) just one thing and they can take that away. And ultimately that’s why she’s had the success that she’s had.”

Griffen credits much of her success and versatility to her parents, both of whom played Division I college basketball. Her mother, Alisa, played at Boise State University and Dexter played at both Eastern Washington University and Montana State University. “My dad was more of a guard and my mom was more of a post, so I was lucky to have different perspectives on different positions,” Griffen said. “My mom would give me different post moves and my dad would help me more on my shot and counter moves.”

Throughout high school, Griffen said her parents sometimes watched film with her before big games. “We would put it up on the TV, and then sometimes we’d even break out cups to represent players,” she said. “(We’d) go over how to get through other teams’ defenses and how to guard good players. They really taught me how to use (watching film) to make my game better.” Edens said Griffen’s never-ending motor separates her from others on the court, especially in rebounding. “I think that’s really what set her apart on the glass,” Edens said. “It wasn’t necessarily just always about points. She got denied, face-guarded, double- and triple-teamed — and that didn’t stop her. … She still found ways. She was able to find gaps and get those extra opportunities and putbacks.”

Griffen is focused on further developing her perimeter game in preparation for Gonzaga, where she is interested in studying physical therapy. Playing for the Bulldogs figures be a family affair for Griffen, who has grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins living in Spokane.
    “They’re all really excited and buying their season tickets and stuff,” she said. “So it’ll be cool to have them all over there.” Edens said Griffen’s drive and work ethic should serve her well as she transitions to the college game. “She’s a gym rat,” Edens said. “She wants to be in the gym all the time. She’s going to do whatever it takes to help the program out. And with those kinds of traits and characteristics, she’s going to have a ton of success — I have no question.”
    Article Link: http://www.heraldnet.com/sports/girl...kylee-griffen/

ZagDad