Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo article on FBI probe

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    What I think is shady in and of itself is that the NCAA seems surprised about the whole thing.
    If the NCAA is given this info and still allow the teams named to compete, what will happen to them? It will be a multi million dollar pay-off for many of those teams, and seems that it could mark the beginning of the end for them.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

I think its wrong to break the rules BUT........ya think we need the FBI investigating if a player receives money from shoe companies/agents/relatives year(s) earlier before turning pro? Is the University really being defrauded?

seems akin to prohibition....always gonna be a way around the law IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
    My guesses
    Looks like you missed Virginia for one.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    I think its wrong to break the rules BUT........ya think we need the FBI investigating if a player receives money from shoe companies/agents/relatives year(s) earlier before turning pro? Is the University really being defrauded?

I think the problem runs deeper than just that.

Washington is hoping that the NCAA will vacate its 22 losses last year.

Interstate fraud with the intention of circumventing the law. No damage, per se, to the kid, but how about damage to all the other state schools that don't have an honest ability to sign the players, the loss of tournament money through not getting invited and/or early exit. Millions of dollars involved.

If we justify it by 'always gonna be a way around the law", why have ANY laws? People are just gonna find a way around them

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I think the problem runs deeper than just that.
    so its not "just" about money?

Quote Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
    ...on their path to becoming the next Gonzaga!

Quote Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
    That was good!

Oh man I'd be pissed right now if we hadn't pounded Seton Hall two years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    Retiring won't solve the problem for them. With the NCAA maybe, but not with the FBI.
    I’m hearing that Izzo will announce his retirement at the end of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    I’m hearing that Izzo will announce his retirement at the end of this season.
    and moving to Spokane

It is fraud. And there is a very easy way around this. Just bring everything out in the open. Let players get what they are worth. The uniquely American concept of 'amateurism' is completely outmoded and inapplicable to today's college sports. It was developed to preserve British aristocracy class distinction to make sure only proper gentlemen with enough disposable income and available leisure time to train on their own time and money could compete in prestigious events like the Olympics; when they weren't 'too busy' attending to the Empire's interests in India.

The British aristocracy invented amateurism in the nineteenth century. When the working classes began to have enough leisure time to take up sports, the upper classes drafted the amateurism rules to segregate themselves.
    http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...off-the-field/

The concept as we understand it doesn't even exist in Europe (or even Britain anymore for that matter) which makes recruiting over there ridiculously difficult.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    It is fraud. And there is a very easy way around this. Just bring everything out in the open. Let players get what they are worth. The uniquely American concept of 'amateurism' is completely outmoded and inapplicable to today's college sports. It was developed to preserve British aristocracy class distinction to make sure only proper gentlemen with enough disposable income and available leisure time to train on their own time and money could compete in prestigious events like the Olympics; when they weren't 'too busy' attending to the Empire's interests in India.

The concept as we understand it doesn't even exist in Europe (or even Britain anymore for that matter) which makes recruiting over there ridiculously difficult.
    I didn't know that. Thank you!

and that's "The Rest of the story"

Thanks for sharing

great read! thanks for sharing kitzbuel

Wasn't Arizona already fingered in the initial reporting?
    This is the huge report that broke this morning, specifically naming players, money, etc. Shockingly I didn't see an Arizona player on the list, but I may have missed it

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    This is the huge report that broke this morning, specifically naming players, money, etc.
    Yeah maybe I'm confusing things here - I thought Arizona was part of the original report from a couple of months ago listing School A, School B, Player 1, Player 2, etc.

This current story is basically ripped right from somoene's bank ledger. Player, payment, etc. AZ is part of the larger investigation and I believe that had quite a bit to do with shoe co payments.

Yeah maybe I'm confusing things here - I thought Arizona was part of the original report from a couple of months ago listing School A, School B, Player 1, Player 2, etc.
    I don't know about that. This is the one that came out late last night/early this morning:

Current USC player Bennie Boatwright and/or his father, Bennie Sr. (According to documents, they received at least $2,000.)
    Current USC player Chimezie Metu and/or adviser, Johnnie Parker. (According to documents, they received $2,000.)
    Current Texas player Eric Davis. (According to documents, he received $1,500.)
    Current South Carolina player Brian Bowen, who was ensnared in the initial federal investigation and started his career at Louisville last fall until the school withheld him from competition. His father, Brian Sr., also received money, according to the documents. (Dawkins’ expense reports also list more than $1,500 in plane tickets for Bowen, his father and his mother. He and his family received at least $7,000 in benefits, according to the documents.)
    Former Utah star Kyle Kuzma received at least $9,500 while in school, according to the documents.
    Former South Carolina player P.J. Dozier received at least $6,115 while in school, according to the documents.
    Former Xavier player Edmond Sumner and/or his father, Ernest. Documents show they received at least $7,000 in advances while Edmond was in school.
    Former Wichita State player Fred VanVleet. Documents show he received at least $1,000.
    Former Clemson player Jaron Blossomgame received a payment by Venmo while in school for $1,100 according to the documents.
    Apples Jones, the mother of former Kansas player Josh Jackson, received $2,700 according to documents.
    Among those receiving hundreds of dollars in advances, according to Dawkins’ expense reports:

The mother of current Michigan State player Miles Bridges.
    Additional Dawkins expense reports list meals and meetings with players or their families while in college or high school, and before they turned pro. While small amounts, these could be categorized as extra benefits under NCAA rules. It appears Dawkins paid for the meals, which could be an important distinction.

“There’s nothing wrong with meeting with an agent,” said Atlanta-based lawyer Stu Brown, a veteran of representing schools and coaches in NCAA compliance cases. “But then it becomes a question of who pays for the meal.”

Among the players and/or families who are listed as meeting with or having meals with Dawkins:

Current Alabama player Collin Sexton.
    Current Duke player Wendell Carter.
    Current Kentucky player Kevin Knox.
    Former North Carolina player Tony Bradley.
    Former Creighton player Justin Patton.
    Former Texas player Prince Ibeh.
    Former Notre Dame player Demetrius Jackson.
    Former Vanderbilt player Wade Baldwin.
    Former Virginia player Malcolm Brogdon.
    Former Iowa State player Monte Morris.

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-f...103338484.html

if that is the direction, then the institutions cannot use ANY of my tax payer dollars in any way shape or form for programs that are paying players and would have to be self sufficient which will have impact on Title 9 requirements

Cant have it both ways.....either you are in school as a student athlete or you are a professional employee (which there are options if that is the direction a person decides to go to)
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Can we have the FBI do their own selection show this year? I think that would be wildly amusing.
    GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    if that is the direction, then the institutions cannot use ANY of my tax payer dollars in any way shape or form for programs that are paying players and would have to be self sufficient which will have impact on Title 9 requirements

Cant have it both ways.....either you are in school as a student athlete or you are a professional employee (which there are options if that is the direction a person decides to go to)
    so do any tax dollars go to coaches salaries currently?

Now that I know Gonzaga is not named, I'm loving this.
    Bring back the OCC

so do any tax dollars go to coaches salaries currently?
    of course

but do not see the correlation.....all employees get paid (including the cheerleading coach, band instructor and others), those attending school are suppose to be going to school for education first and athletics second. If we want to turn that around then do so but do it across the board and make it self funding

if a trumpet player wants to go and play in the orchestra on broadway during the summer they cannot be paid.....so if we are going to start paying for someone at a college for their particular skill sets then NO TAX MONEY
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    of course

but do not see the correlation.....all employees get paid (including the cheerleading coach, band instructor and others), those attending school are suppose to be going to school for education first and athletics second. If we want to turn that around then do so but do it across the board and make it self funding

if a trumpet player wants to go and play in the orchestra on broadway during the summer they cannot be paid.....so if we are going to start paying for someone at a college for their particular skill sets then NO TAX MONEY
    Basketball coaches getting paid Millions by schools and Millions by shoe companies why shouldn't cheerleading coach get paid on same scale as basketball coaches?