Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OT: Sort of anyway. G-Prep game Friday night

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Spokesman-Review game story

Anyone know where and who G-Prep plays next?
    We won’t find out until Sunday.
    Bonjour tristesse.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Should happen as long as they’re on opposite sides of the bracket. There’s not two better teams on the 4A side if not the whole state.
    A little East Side homerism? I went to Garfield/Cleveland last night, and Garfield has four legit high major talents, and 3-4 others that can play some level of CBB. Top 10 nationally. Put up 99 on a good Cleveland team featuring WSU signee CJ Elleby.

Federal Way is frequently putting up 100+ in the SPSL, traditionally the toughest/deepest 4a league in the state, and certainly won't be a pushover v Prep or Richland. Last year an undersized and unheralded, but deep and experienced Kentwood surprised everybody by winning 4A, when they didn't (I think) manage to win the SPSL.

Quote Originally Posted by jyboc View Post
    I was at the game and live, Sorn did not pass the “eye” test. He did not look good at all. I know his stats were good but wow. He couldn’t use his size to his advantage at all, had very weak shots and did not look athletic at all. He did have some great blocks and rim protection but that’s about it. He would not even be close to seeing the court at GU. Just my $0.02
    Pretty much agree, based on what I saw at state a year ago. Will Foster-like w/ a bit more offensive skill was what I saw; can block some shots but weak/thin/slow. Of course it takes big kids longer and you never know, but very much a project. Van Komen (sp?) looks better on highlight tapes imo.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    A little East Side homerism? I went to Garfield/Cleveland last night, and Garfield has four legit high major talents, and 3-4 others that can play some level of CBB. Top 10 nationally. Put up 99 on a good Cleveland team featuring WSU signee CJ Elleby.

Federal Way is frequently putting up 100+ in the SPSL, traditionally the toughest/deepest 4a league in the state, and certainly won't be a pushover v Prep or Richland. Last year an undersized and unheralded, but deep and experienced Kentwood surprised everybody by winning 4A, when they didn't (I think) manage to win the SPSL.
    You know it maynard! Although it usually works the other way . I’m not saying it will be a cakewalk for either team but they’re clearly the favorites on the 4A side with Fed Way. I’d certainly put them up against any team in the state though.

Not that common opponents always matter but Prep and Garfield have both played West Seattle. Prep beat them by 16 and Garfield by 6 and 7 in two games.
    Last edited by cggonzaga; 02-17-2018 at 08:08 PM.

I perceive that G Prep's defensive intensity makes it an elite team amongst all the west-side glamour.

Quote Originally Posted by jbslicer View Post
    How would you compare Sorn to Ryan Edwards? Edwards didn't see much of the court either.
    No comparison Edwards could use his size and body to his advantage yet still couldn’t find playing time, and rightfully so. We complain about Larson not seeing the floor this year and he is a million times better than Sorn. Not to rip on the kid, but we past the project days of Calum Macleod and Will Foster.

Quote Originally Posted by jyboc View Post
    No comparison Edwards could use his size and body to his advantage yet still couldn’t find playing time, and rightfully so. We complain about Larson not seeing the floor this year and he is a million times better than Sorn. Not to rip on the kid, but we past the project days of Calum Macleod and Will Foster.
    Interesting analysis. How do you feel about Matt Van Komen? To be honest I feel that he is a 5 year player and a project. Due to development time, in my opinion, he probably wont have an impact (if ever) until his 4th and 5th year and even then I see it hard to put him on the floor when we are facing 6-9 or 6-10 athletic PFs and Centers like JW3 which most of the good teams have. I feel like he will get pushed around by bigger centers and I think more athletic bigs will be able to out-run and out-jump him.

The recruiting has been interesting as it seems we are not recruiting balanced players with potential to be effective on both ends. Ravet is a flat-out scorer and passer but his defensive is suspect and due to size and athleticism will probably never be great. Van Komen has good size and defensive instincts but his offensive game is severely limited and with most 7-3 + guys probably wont ever be super effective. Greg Foster Jr. has great size but very little scoring ability at the moment. These recruits I feel like will do very well in the WCC, however, I think they are similar recruits to the previous years where we get exposed when we face the best teams in the country.

Anton Watson seems like he could be a really good two way player and so does Dominick Harris in 2020 but that is a long ways away.

I really like your analysis and I am curious to hear your thoughts on other recruits and potential recruits.

Not that common opponents always matter but Prep and Garfield have both played West Seattle. Prep beat them by 16 and Garfield by 6 and 7 in two games.
    Prep probably plays better team ball; I won't see this edition till State. Roy said the loss to Sea Prep probably did his team good, because they tend to cruise and now they have to focus because it's loser out for them.

I'd be happy to see the Zags sign either Jamon Kemp or Marjon Beauchamp, though w/ Roy coaching them they're probably UW locks, though Beauchamp (2020) looks like he could get some attention from the blue bloods. 6'5, long, natural scorer with a feathery soft jumper, and plays above the rim.

From Twitter:
    Dave Nichols SR @DNicholsSR

Dates and locations for WA regionals have been posted. 4A boys #1 seed Gonzaga Prep vs #8 Sunnyside on Friday at U-Hi at 6pm. 4A girls #1 Central Valley vs #8 Camas on Saturday at noon at U-Hi.

Brock Ravet is playing at 8:00 on Friday night in Ellensburg.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Prep probably plays better team ball; I won't see this edition till State. Roy said the loss to Sea Prep probably did his team good, because they tend to cruise and now they have to focus because it's loser out for them.

I'd be happy to see the Zags sign either Jamon Kemp or Marjon Beauchamp, though w/ Roy coaching them they're probably UW locks, though Beauchamp (2020) looks like he could get some attention from the blue bloods. 6'5, long, natural scorer with a feathery soft jumper, and plays above the rim.
    Prep has 2 really good D1 players imo. We know Anton but Jamari Jones is turning himself into D1 I believe. Sam Lockett may be the best perimeter defender in the state. Other than that you have a bunch of team guys. Lloyd maybe turns himself into D1.

From Twitter:

Dates and locations for WA regionals have been posted. 4A boys #1 seed Gonzaga Prep vs #8 Sunnyside on Friday at U-Hi at 6pm. 4A girls #1 Central Valley vs #8 Camas on Saturday at noon at U-Hi.
    Theoretically Prep and Richland could be on opposite sides of the bracket if Prep won regional game and Richland lost. Most likely they meet in semi’s.

Prep has 2 really good D1 players imo. We know Anton but Jamari Jones is turning himself into D1 I believe. Sam Lockett may be the best perimeter defender in the state. Other than that you have a bunch of team guys. Lloyd maybe turns himself into D1.

Theoretically Prep and Richland could be on opposite sides of the bracket if Prep won regional game and Richland lost. Most likely they meet in semi’s.
    I agree about Jones, he has a motor and spunk that would benefit many D-1 teams. Lloyd has some athleticism, 3-pt range, but is thin and not really willing to bang it up and avoids contact, the upside is that he is only a soph and has time to fill out and change his game toughness.
    As for the matchup the WA HS Basketball folks did not want to see an all eastside state championship game and essentially put G-Prep and Richland on the same side. If both win their respective first games they would meet on March 1 in the quarter finals. Oh and the WA HS Basketball idiots use RPI as seeding. Sad to see such an in-accurate system used at this level. http://www.wpanetwork.com/tournament...nament_id=2512
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Lloyd is a lot like Stockton. Fantastic IQ and good scoring ability, but will struggle defensively. Jones is pretty good, he is a great athlete but is a long way from D1 skill set.

It's hard to gauge prep players because they are a defensive juggernaut. You need to see them in AAU to get a better feeling for overall skill set and mismatch potential. Watson looks good at Prep, and elite in AAU. That being said, the Zags new level of play requires a very high level defense and athletes to play it. These Prep players might produce more Zag players in the years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by a13coach View Post
    I agree about Jones, he has a motor and spunk that would benefit many D-1 teams. Lloyd has some athleticism, 3-pt range, but is thin and not really willing to bang it up and avoids contact, the upside is that he is only a soph and has time to fill out and change his game toughness.
    As for the matchup the WA HS Basketball folks did not want to see an all eastside state championship game and essentially put G-Prep and Richland on the same side. If both win their respective first games they would meet on March 1 in the quarter finals. Oh and the WA HS Basketball idiots use RPI as seeding. Sad to see such an in-accurate system used at this level. http://www.wpanetwork.com/tournament...nament_id=2512
    Still looks to me like semi’s. Winner 13 plays winner 14.

Still looks to me like semi’s. Winner 13 plays winner 14.
    You are correct. My bad. Thanks for the catch.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Gonzaga Prep moves into the USA Today Top 25: http://usatodayhss.com/rankings/expe...etball/2017/12

Keep up the updates and scores for Prep-Watson and Kittitas-Ravet.

Thanks.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

The 4A bracket, below, has already been linked. But also below are the other classifications.

4A: http://www.wpanetwork.com/tournament...nament_id=2512 (G-Prep)
    3A: http://www.wpanetwork.com/tournament...nament_id=2513
    2A: http://www.wpanetwork.com/tournament...nament_id=2476
    1A: http://www.wpanetwork.com/tournament...nament_id=2501
    2B: http://www.wpanetwork.com/tournament...nament_id=2515 (Kittitas)

Tidbit:
    3A - Kelso (20-4) is in the state tourney, winning the district championship after beating previously unbeaten Lincoln (23-1), North Thurston (21-3) and Wilson (20-5). Kelso next plays Timberline, who features Wichita State-bound Erik Stevenson. The last time Kelso won the district championship was in 1993, when Tommy Lloyd was a senior on a deep Kelso team. Also on that team was Ryan Chilton (7'0), who holds the Colorado State record for blocked shots. Ryan's younger brother, Eric (7'1), red shirted at GU during the '98 - '99 season. A pretty funny story from David Boling's book "Tales from the Gonzaga Bulldogs Locker Room:"

Land of the Giants
    Seven-foot prospect Eric Chilton lured Dan Monson and Bill Grier to Kelso, where they discovered a race of giants. It seemed to them that the entire family measured out in the seven-foot range. To accommodate the family’s dimensions, every stick of furniture in the house was oversized.
    Monson tried to project the image of professionalism, and sell Gonzaga as a big-time program, but he convulsed when he looked over at Grier, dressed in his finest suit, seated in a living room chair…and his feet didn’t reach the floor!

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Both G-Prep and Kittitas play in the quarterfinals on Thursday at 5:30, G-Prep in the Tacoma Dome and Kittitas in the Spokane Arena.

I'll be looking for live stats here:

Kittitas: https://scorebooklive.com/basketball...-coyotes/games

G-Prep: https://scorebooklive.com/basketball...bullpups/games

From Twitter:

No. 1 Gonzaga Prep boys will face No. 2 Skyview in a quarterfinal tomorrow at 5:30. Skyview was upset by no. 7 Enumclaw in a regional last week and beat No. 10 Glacier Peak today 68-67. Yet another reason to go full-16 at state.

From Twitter:
    Same thing in the 3A. The 1 and 2 seeds meeting in the quarterfinals. It seems that Washington State always messes up their HS tourneys.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Same thing in the 3A. The 1 and 2 seeds meeting in the quarterfinals. It seems that Washington State always messes up their HS tourneys.
    But if my fighting Irish had taken care of a regional win the matchup with Garfield would not be occurring

Be the best got to beat the best
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

From Twitter:
    While Skyview is ranked #2 in the RPI, I don’t believe those in the know would suggest they’re the 2nd best 4A team in the state. If they play Prep within 10 that’ll be a mild upset. Most believe a semi final game of Prep and Richland will be the true state championship. Federal Way and maybe Lewis and Clark would give either team a decent matchup. My guess and hope is that we’ll see 3 of the 4 teams in the semi’s from the east side of the mountains. Truthfully, Ferris should also probably be in that mix but we know the WIAA couldn’t possibly have 4 teams from Eastern Washington in the state tourney.

While Skyview is ranked #2 in the RPI, I don’t believe those in the know would suggest they’re the 2nd best 4A team in the state. If they play Prep within 10 that’ll be a mild upset. Most believe a semi final game of Prep and Richland will be the true state championship. Federal Way and maybe Lewis and Clark would give either team a decent matchup. My guess and hope is that we’ll see 3 of the 4 teams in the semi’s from the east side of the mountains. Truthfully, Ferris should also probably be in that mix but we know the WIAA couldn’t possibly have 4 teams from Eastern Washington in the state tourney.
    It’s odd that 3a is heavy I-5 corridor while 4a is heavy east side of mountains

Wish Wiaa would go to a super state tournament where winners of 3a play winner of 4a
    Doable now under current state tournament layout
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    It’s odd that 3a is heavy I-5 corridor while 4a is heavy east side of mountains

Wish Wiaa would go to a super state tournament where winners of 3a play winner of 4a
    Doable now under current state tournament layout
    That would be great.