Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 126 to 147 of 147

Thread: OT: Sort of anyway. G-Prep game Friday night

  1. #126
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Edmonds, WA
    Posts
    41

    Default

    How about those PUPS!

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,048

    Default

    Should win another next year as well.

  3. #128
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Should win another next year as well.
    "Should" strikes me as a bit presumptuous. Bogus 4th on McDaniels changed this one. Prep was damn lucky twice in two nights.

    After seeing the semis in person, I thought Few Way would win today.

  4. #129
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Edmonds, WA
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Bogus 2nd foul on Watson. When he sat much of the 2nd FedWay extended their lead. Bad fouls happen. Good teams win in the end.

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,016

    Default

    Maynard judging by your posts on G prep the last few weeks and today you seem to have an ax to grind with them. Curious why.

  6. #131
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 72Prep View Post
    Bogus 2nd foul on Watson. When he sat much of the 2nd FedWay extended their lead. Bad fouls happen. Good teams win in the end.
    Beat me to it. Prep best team in 2nd half.

    Presumptuous yes maynard. Still think it happens though. Prep missing one of their better players this year due to knee injury. Returns almost everybody.

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11,364

    Default

    Wow! Garfield up 3 in closing seconds, they go for the foul to prevent a 3 point shot. Refs give Beach a really strange continuation call and they get 3 FTs. Hit all 3 w/ 2 seconds left. OT. Have I ever mentioned I hate refs? Way too much control over how a game can transpire.

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11,364

    Default

    Well it shouldn't have gone to OT, but Garfield prevails easily in the extra session. Brandon Roy has won back to back State Championships at two different schools in his first two years as a head coach.

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    584

    Default

    Don’t let Saxon know about the kids moving all over the Metro league, following coaches, following other players, and chasing championships because that might sound like recruiting at the public schools.....

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    "Should" strikes me as a bit presumptuous. Bogus 4th on McDaniels changed this one. Prep was damn lucky twice in two nights.

    After seeing the semis in person, I thought Few Way would win today.
    ...Because the 2nd foul on Watson in the 1st Q was legit too? Clean block of the glass and player just fell. Watson had to sit awhile too.

  11. #136
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    Don’t let Saxon know about the kids moving all over the Metro league, following coaches, following other players, and chasing championships because that might sound like recruiting at the public schools.....
    Ha ha. Yeah, at least one of the players from Garfield was on that Nathan Hale Championship team last year.

    After the FBI finishes cleaning up college athletics, maybe they can move on to high school athletics next.

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post
    Maynard judging by your posts on G prep the last few weeks and today you seem to have an ax to grind with them. Curious why.
    No "axe to grind". Remember cgg predicted a dbl digit win over Fed Way for G Prep, and said that their game w/ Richland should have been the final, and suggested LC might give Fed Way a hard time. Also used comp scores to suggest or imply Prep might be as good as Garfield.

    I never started those discussions. I have merely responded to what has been said by others that I saw as disrespectful to the teams over here. I saw all 4 of the 2011 games Sarbaugh's team played, when they shut down Wroten, Bell, and Lacy's teams in a row, and that was one of my all time favorite hs teams. And I went into that tourney rooting for Bell.

    On the other topic, 4th foul trying to get out of the way is imo significantly more impt than second foul, called incorrectly but at least on a shot block. Second foul you can still play some D; 4th you can't. jmo.

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Ha ha. Yeah, at least one of the players from Garfield was on that Nathan Hale Championship team last year.

    After the FBI finishes cleaning up college athletics, maybe they can move on to high school athletics next.
    Fuller and Beauchamp both. Open enrollment in Seattle, so kids can move freely. Rainier Beach has been doing it for years, recruiting out of state as well. And there's the Bellevue fb scandal. But, same deal w/ the privates, from Oak Hill to Findlay to Eastside Catholic. Oh, and a prep school in eastern Wa.

    Somehow it's dirty if an inner city public school does it, but it's ok for the privates? Should be the same for everyone. And there's already a huge advantage for those w/ the money.

  14. #139
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Fuller and Beauchamp both. Open enrollment in Seattle, so kids can move freely. Rainier Beach has been doing it for years, recruiting out of state as well. And there's the Bellevue fb scandal. But, same deal w/ the privates, from Oak Hill to Findlay to Eastside Catholic. Oh, and a prep school in eastern Wa.

    Somehow it's dirty if an inner city public school does it, but it's ok for the privates? Should be the same for everyone. And there's already a huge advantage for those w/ the money.
    If monitoring college athletics is difficult, high school athletics is probably close to impossible. Just too many schools. Prep schools, they shouldn't even be competing against other high schools. They should just be traveling barnstorming all star teams, that's what they really are. Maybe not G Prep so much, but the Oak Hills and Findlays for sure. And Montverde.

  15. #140
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    No "axe to grind". Remember cgg predicted a dbl digit win over Fed Way for G Prep, and said that their game w/ Richland should have been the final, and suggested LC might give Fed Way a hard time. Also used comp scores to suggest or imply Prep might be as good as Garfield.

    I never started those discussions. I have merely responded to what has been said by others that I saw as disrespectful to the teams over here. I saw all 4 of the 2011 games Sarbaugh's team played, when they shut down Wroten, Bell, and Lacy's teams in a row, and that was one of my all time favorite hs teams. And I went into that tourney rooting for Bell.

    On the other topic, 4th foul trying to get out of the way is imo significantly more impt than second foul, called incorrectly but at least on a shot block. Second foul you can still play some D; 4th you can't. jmo.
    Come on maynard, being a little sensitive for a Westsider aren’t you? The 4A classification saw the champion, 3rd and 4th place finishers from the East side. As well as the champion on the girls side. Maybe it’s about time the East side gets some credit? Prep didn’t exactly play great this weekend.

    Also a bit of a reach on fouls. Officiating wasn’t exactly kind to either team. McDaniels 4th was way more of a foul than Watson’s 2nd although neither were fouls. They both had same effects as each player sat about the same amount of time. I don’t think time of game makes a difference with those two out. Eagles went on run with Watson out and Pups went on run with McDaniels out.

    I still believe Prep and Richland are two best teams in 4A. Despite LC playing poorly they were in Fed Way game until the end. Would still love to see Prep and Garfield play.

  16. #141
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11,364

    Default

    Spokane and Yakima schools have done well at the 4A level in men's and women's hoops for years. Plenty of champions have come from South Sound too, Federal Way, Kent, Tacoma. Seattle schools dominate the 3A level. It gets convoluted when some of the schools jump back and forth between 4A and 3A.

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Wow! Garfield up 3 in closing seconds, they go for the foul to prevent a 3 point shot. Refs give Beach a really strange continuation call and they get 3 FTs. Hit all 3 w/ 2 seconds left. OT. Have I ever mentioned I hate refs? Way too much control over how a game can transpire.
    The refs have always been questionable in the state tournaments.

    If Prep has a good defensive guy to replace Lockett there’s a good chance they go 27-0 next year too.
    Bonjour tristesse.

  18. #143
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,404

    Default

    Some other notes: Central Valley Girls’ Win gave Greater Spokane League both State titles (any CV players of interest to Lady Zags?); Prior to last night’s games, one national ranking had the Bullpups at #12, but 3A Garfield at #6. Really? Know Garfield has a long proud history, but would this year’s team (not undefeated) take the Bullpups?; and finally, GU have an interest in Lloyd’s son?

  19. #144
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    Don’t let Saxon know about the kids moving all over the Metro league, following coaches, following other players, and chasing championships because that might sound like recruiting at the public schools.....
    Oh trust me I know about it. All the respect I had for Brandon Roy as a player has pretty much gone out the window with his entrance into coaching. Goes to Nathan Hale just for Porter, gets a bunch of kids to come with him and wins state easily with the all-star team. Then jets to garfield and brings Beauchamp with him and whoever else? Yikes. Nathan Hale back to winning like 5 games or less this year... It's taking away from the fun that used to be Washington high school basketball. That and the classifications are messed up and shifting all too often. Garfield was 4A previously as I remember Ferris playing them when they had Tony Wroten, they were always competitive in 4A. Now they move down to 3A but both the 3A teams looked better than anything that 4A is offering this year... I realize it's off student enrollment but the competitive balance is kind of lame and with all the best teams playing each other state could be a lot more exciting.

  20. #145
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Some other notes: Central Valley Girls’ Win gave Greater Spokane League both State titles (any CV players of interest to Lady Zags?); Prior to last night’s games, one national ranking had the Bullpups at #12, but 3A Garfield at #6. Really? Know Garfield has a long proud history, but would this year’s team (not undefeated) take the Bullpups?; and finally, GU have an interest in Lloyd’s son?
    CV has a pair of Stanford bound twins (the Hulls) that are fairly highly rated. They were 27-0 this season and absolutely dominant. They won State 2 years ago, and I think were runner ups last year. Just saw in the paper they are 81-1 over the last 3 years.

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    CV has a pair of Stanford bound twins (the Hulls) that are fairly highly rated. They were 27-0 this season and absolutely dominant. They won State 2 years ago, and I think were runner ups last year. Just saw in the paper they are 81-1 over the last 3 years.
    Also ranked #2 in the country according to the computers and #13 according to the experts. GU boys ranked #12 and #25 respectively as well.

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between pain and pleasure
    Posts
    3,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Some other notes: Central Valley Girls’ Win gave Greater Spokane League both State titles (any CV players of interest to Lady Zags?); Prior to last night’s games, one national ranking had the Bullpups at #12, but 3A Garfield at #6. Really? Know Garfield has a long proud history, but would this year’s team (not undefeated) take the Bullpups?; and finally, GU have an interest in Lloyd’s son?
    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    CV has a pair of Stanford bound twins (the Hulls) that are fairly highly rated. They were 27-0 this season and absolutely dominant. They won State 2 years ago, and I think were runner ups last year. Just saw in the paper they are 81-1 over the last 3 years.
    Lexie and Lacie Hull are the Stanford commits and Hailey Christopher is a U of Idaho commit. I mentioned the CV girls program in the Zags Women forum here, and I haven't heard yet if the Lady Zags have targeted any of the others but I do know that they are at least watching. I happened to be at LC earlier this year watching a boys JV game being played at the same time as the varsity girls and saw Coach Fortier in attendance.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

    Func FOO

    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •