Thread: Coach Few on ESPN Podcast

Default Coach Few on ESPN Podcast

I enjoyed the heck out of this podcast: http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=22420858
    Gonzaga HC Mark Few joins Courtside to weigh in on the Bulldogs' massive conference win over St. Mary's, the biggest differences that he's seen in his team over the course of the year, the depth in their guard play, the level of skill from Nigel Williams-Goss, problems with on-floor communication, paying attention to the buzz of tournament pre-seeding and more.

Interesting info about the Quadrants and the pre seeds. Fewie obviously a little disappointed in how they reverted back to the RPI. Thanks ZN.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Very interesting and straightforward sharing from Few about this team’s lack of communication relative to last year.

Only thing I didn’t like hearing was how much Few admires and respects Dakich..that guy is my absolute least favorite announcer!
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

[QUOTE=GonzagasaurusFlex;1360421]Very interesting and straightforward sharing from Few about this team’s lack of communication relative to last year.

Only thing I didn’t like hearing was how much Few admires and respects Dakich..that guy is my absolute least favorite announcer![/QUOTE]

Did you know his son plays for tOSU?
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Very interesting and straightforward sharing from Few about this team’s lack of communication relative to last year.

Only thing I didn’t like hearing was how much Few admires and respects Dakich..that guy is my absolute least favorite announcer!
    I'll see your Dakich, and raise you a Walton.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I'll see your Dakich, and raise you a Walton.
    I fold. They are both insufferable.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Pretty sure Dakich means d**k in some other language.

I'm with you. I can't stand Dakich. I find him actually more annoying than Walton. I will never forget last year watching a show after the brackets were revealed and Dakich said that "the Zags just aren't very good". He's pretty impressed with himself.

Quote Originally Posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
    Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
    I fold. They are both insufferable.
    They both make Heister look good. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post

Did you know his son plays for tOSU?
    Yes, I saw that. Watched some of their win vs Purdue; he is a solid, scrappy player who made key play for them down the stretch helping secure an extra possession.
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

Walton is the best. Thanks to ZagNative for the link to the podcast.

Few is a nice guy. I think he tiptoed around the issue but still made the point: They came up with the solution but they aren't using it yet. Instead of a composite of metrics they are still using the RPI.

What he didn't say was the reason they need to "evaluate" it for another year is because the schedules were mostly set for 2017-2018 when the decision was made and several large and mediocre programs that are gaming the RPI would suffer under the new metric.

Quote Originally Posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
    If Dakich keeps it up it will come mean d**k in our language, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    They both make Heister look good. lol
    I wish Heister would ask some of these questions on air. Few was more than willing for to offer some great information here, whereas he mostly seems annoyed on his tv show and wanting to get out of there as quickly as possible.

Two biggest things I got out of the podcast were how many of the defensive assignments this team was missing going into the St. Mary’s game and how much they turned it around for the game(85% range if I recall correctly from last night). Last year’s team hit the 95% mark consistently. The other thing was how much more vocal last year’s team was with NWG being an amazing vocal leader compared with Perkins and JW3 both being humble lead by example types. It’s amazing how young this team is, and Few made several references to how they need to spend equal time on skills as strategy still as these young guys put in the work to become consistent. He even said Rui was basically a freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Two biggest things I got out of the podcast were how many of the defensive assignments this team was missing going into the St. Mary’s game and how much they turned it around for the game(85% range if I recall correctly from last night). Last year’s team hit the 95% mark consistently. The other thing was how much more vocal last year’s team was with NWG being an amazing vocal leader compared with Perkins and JW3 both being humble lead by example types. It’s amazing how young this team is, and Few made several references to how they need to spend equal time on skills as strategy still as these young guys put in the work to become consistent. He even said Rui was basically a freshman.
    He only mentioned Melson and JWIII specifically as guys who do not communicate enough ( while emphasizing they are both incredibly hard working, tough, fantastic high character guys). He did not say anything about Perkins’ level of communication one way or the other.

It was coach's overall demeanor I found uplifting. Few sounds like he's having fun and is happy where the team's at right now. Or at least where he thinks they'll get. I wish there had been more talk about the team as opposed to seeds/etc. Last season's team meshed pretty well early on. As Few said, this season it's a fairly young team. But, I got the drift that Few thinks they're beginning to mesh well - that it's just going to take a while for their best performances.

Hey, thanks for sharing this ZN - great to listen to for a snow shoveling break
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

He only mentioned Melson and JWIII specifically as guys who do not communicate enough ( while emphasizing they are both incredibly hard working, tough, fantastic high character guys). He did not say anything about Perkins’ level of communication one way or the other.
    I posted about this "issue" back in December. Quiet leadership this season, which has lead to ON-court chemistry problems, not off-court.

also, its been noted, by announcers and fans in attendance, Norvell is very vocal on the court, in huddles, on defense, etc. Really improved and becoming an all-around leader.

Good sign going fwd.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    I have been saying the same thing all season. The biggest weakness of this team: the lack of a vocal leader who is an upperclassman. Perkins is also an introvert as well. It's not just JWIII and Silas. There is no demonstrative, vocal leader.

Regarding people who are concerned about Few liking Dakich, maybe listen to the whole podcast again. It seems to relates to a joke at the beginning of the podcast about Seth Greenberg. I seriously doubt he feels that way about Dakich as he is also not very well liked in the coaching community either. Fewie also has a bit of sarcasm in him as well.

The podcast sucks without Andy Katz on it.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    Few is a nice guy. I think he tiptoed around the issue but still made the point: They came up with the solution but they aren't using it yet. Instead of a composite of metrics they are still using the RPI.

What he didn't say was the reason they need to "evaluate" it for another year is because the schedules were mostly set for 2017-2018 when the decision was made and several large and mediocre programs that are gaming the RPI would suffer under the new metric.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    It was coach's overall demeanor I found uplifting. Few sounds like he's having fun and is happy where the team's at right now. Or at least where he thinks they'll get. I wish there had been more talk about the team as opposed to seeds/etc. Last season's team meshed pretty well early on. As Few said, this season it's a fairly young team. But, I got the drift that Few thinks they're beginning to mesh well - that it's just going to take a while for their best performances.

Hey, thanks for sharing this ZN - great to listen to for a snow shoveling break
    Good one.

I agree. I hadn't noticed until you said it. Your point is well-taken.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

My mistake. I listened to it the previous night, and didn’t retain every word. Hopefully, this team continue le to improve its defensive intensity within their assignments. The St. Mary’s game was one of their few complete games of the year.