Thread: Gonzaga Bulldogs Set Out On Final WCC Road Trip

Post Gonzaga Bulldogs Set Out On Final WCC Road Trip

Bulldogs Set Out On Final WCC Road Trip

LMU up first on Thursday

Feb. 13, 2018

Gonzaga Notes

Gonzaga (20-5, 13-1 WCC) at Loyola Marymount (16-9, 8-6 WCC)

Feb. 15, 2018 | 7 p.m. PT | theW.tv | 94.1 KJRB FM (Steve Myklebust)
    Spokane, Wash. | Gersten Pavilion (4,156) | Live Stats

FIRST WCC LOSS:

- The Gonzaga Bulldogs dug a hole in the second quarter and could never quite climb out, as they lost at home to Saint Mary’s on Saturday, 72-56, their first West Coast Conference loss this year.
    - Jill Barta led Gonzaga with 19 points and four rebounds, and Zykera Rice scored 10 and matched Barta’s four boards. Emma Stach was two-for-four from three and scored 10 points, and Laura Stockton dished four assists.
    - The Gaels shot well, at a 56.6 percent clip, and held Gonzaga to 29.5 percent shooting. Gonzaga did force 21 turnovers for 11 steals.
    - Saint Mary’s dominated the rebounds, 47-21, and points in the paint, 38-16.

PIECE OF THE PIE:

- GU clinched a share of the WCC Regular-Season Title, with BYU falling at San Francisco. The Zags have now won 12 of the last 13 WCC Titles and this marked their 14th in program history. One more win this year will make the Zags outright champions.
    - In 2014-2015 and 2004-2005 the Zags clinched the WCC title outright with three games left in the season.

RECORD CHASING:

- The Zags still have the opportunity to win the most WCC games in program history, as the 16-2 marks in 2014-15 and 2013-14 stand as the records to beat.
    - Before the expansion of the league with BYU and Pacific, Gonzaga went 14-0 in 2010-11, 2009-10, and 2004-05.

SERIES HISTORY:

- Gonzaga leads the all-time series 45-21 and enters Thursday riding a 21-game winning streak dating back to 2009, the longest win streak in the series and Gonzaga’s longest active streak against any WCC opponent. Dating back to 2005, Gonzaga has won 28 of the last 30 meetings.
    - The Zags have won 10-straight games in Los Angeles dating back to 2008, and are 19-14 all-time on the road in the series.
    - Last season at LMU, GU shot 57 percent and made 10 threes to defeat Loyola Marymount 80-56 on January 12 on the road. It was the Zags’ highest field goal percentage of the year.
    - On January 6 of this year, Gonzaga downed Loyola Marymount, 77-67, inside the McCarthey Athletic Center. The Zags led wire-to-wire with the game never being tied after the opening tip. Chandler Smith led the Zags with 19 points. She added seven boards to lead the squad, three assists and two steals. Zykera Rice, 14 points, and Jill Barta, 16 points, joined her in double figures.
    - Head coach Lisa Fortier is 8-0 in the series, adding a 70-50 win in the quarterfinals of the West Coast Conference Tournament in Las Vegas in 2015. Sixth-year LMU head coach Charity Elliot has never defeated GU.
    - In Fortier’s eight wins, the Zags have averaged 75.9 points per game and won by an average of 15.6 points, eclipsing the 80-point mark three times.
    - The closest game in the last 21 meetings was an 81-78 Gonzaga win in Los Angeles in 2009, and the 2014 game in LA went to overtime, with Gonzaga winning 91-82. Haiden Palmer finished that game with a career-high 32 points on January 23 that year.
    - Gonzaga scored the most points in the series in the first-ever meeting in 1985, a 100-78 Zag win in Los Angeles that was not a WCC game. Gonzaga is 41-20 all-time in regular-season WCC meetings.

SCOUTING THE LIONS:

- The Lions went 8-3 in the non-conference, but are 8-6 in the WCC. They started conference play 3-0, but their loss to Gonzaga started a four-game losing streak. They have recovered to win four of six since.
    - Gabby Green leads LMU at 13 points per game and 104 assists. She adds 6.5 rebounds per game, has 72 steals, and shoots 35.9 percent from the field.
    - Cheyanne Wallace joins her in double figures at 14.1 points per game and Bree Alford leads on the glass at 8.8 rebounds per game.
    - Six Lions, including Green, Wallace, Alford, Andee Velasco, Raychel Stanley, and Makenzie Cast average over eight points per game. Cast has made 52 threes, shooting 38.2 percent from distance.
    - The Lions shoot 39.6 percent as a team and average 15.8 assists per game, but average 15.6 turnovers per game...

ROAD WARRIORS:

- The Zags are 9-1 on the road this season and currently riding a nine-game winning streak away from home.
    - GU averages 71.6 points per game on the road while only giving up 59.1, winning by an average of 12.5 points per game.
    - GU is shooting 43.8 percent in other teams’ gyms, and has a +4.2 rebounding margin. The Zags have been great forcing turnovers on the road, with a +2.3 margin in that category, leading to 9.8 steals per game, almost three more than their opponent.
    - Jill Bara (18.2), Chandler Smith (10.6), and Zykera Rice (10.5) are all averaging double figures on the road.
    - They have not let games remain close, entering the fourth quarter up by an average of 11.7 points.
    - They have outscored their opponents by 70+ points in the second and third quarters.

CAREER ZAGS:

- Jill Barta is currently third all-time in free throws made at 403, 52 behind Courtney Vandersloot for second. Barta is also eighth all-time in career points at 1477, 106 behind Kayla Standish for seventh.
    - Laura Stockton is currently seventh all-time in career assists at 300, 55 behind Robin Allen for sixth.
    - Emma Stach sits eighth all-time in made threes at 124, 11 behind Tiffanie Shives for seventh...

Gonzaga Article Link

So, in the first game, CLF insisted on guarding Gabby Green with ES and JL. While ES and JL do a decent job on the perimeter, Gabby (at 6'2") is simply too tall and too muscular for those two ladies to handle in the paint. Gabby scored 22 points in the first game against the lady zags.

Who is CLF going to have guard Gabby Green on Thursday's game?

Who do you think CLF should have guard Gabby Green?

ZagDad

Good thoughts ZagDad on defense.

The thing I saw during the SMC woman’s game wasn’t as much the defense as the lack of effort. That lack of effort lead to SMC taking control of the game. We commented that they seemed slow and tired.... possible feelings from loosing a close friend.
    The men showed great defense and double teaming of SMC’s best player. But most of all was their effort.

LMU like GU lost their last game to a team they should have beaten. The Ladies better pack their best game... coaches and players. With this GU woman’s team... I would expect to see the team we have been seeing most of the season.

Since a few of you have been seeing a half empty glass... I’m seeing a half full glass.

Go Zags!!
    Last edited by SkipZag; 02-13-2018 at 09:46 PM.

On defense of Green: I do not know as much about the LMU ladies...but whomever is initially assigned from the 'mandatory' starters, I'd make a point of 'having this weeks practices pitting JT vs JB! (Maybe a few one on one's with CS.) JT is the only 'real physical combo-guard' you have at the moment.....she has progressed nicely off the bench, and has been accustomed to the other team members in the process. This game you dedicate most of her time to 'improve her defensive skills' on a quality athlete..... MAINLY because you will NEED HER to step it up once the NCAA tourney starts. CLF can give her the 'needed' confidence to do well once the NCAA's start! IMO

Edit: If Green is the PG, then LS and JT. Both LS and JL should usually be on the opposing point guard, iMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo 1966 View Post
    On defense of Green: I do not know as much about the LMU ladies...but whomever is initially assigned from the 'mandatory' starters, I'd make a point of 'having this weeks practices pitting JT vs JB! (Maybe a few one on one's with CS.) JT is the only 'real physical combo-guard' you have at the moment.....she has progressed nicely off the bench, and has been accustomed to the other team members in the process. This game you dedicate most of her time to 'improve her defensive skills' on a quality athlete..... MAINLY because you will NEED HER to step it up once the NCAA tourney starts. CLF can give her the 'needed' confidence to do well once the NCAA's start! IMO

Edit: If Green is the PG, then LS and JT. Both LS and JL should usually be on the opposing point guard, iMO.
    Thanks for the thoughts Kemo.

My only concern is that both LS and JT are not fleet of foot and I think Gabby would easily drive by them. Both LS and JT shine when playing defense in the key and take pride in taking charges which could throw Green off her game but both have some liability out on the perimeter.

ES and JL are both excellent perimeter defenders, but against Gabby, I think that JL at 5'6" is just too short to offer up much resistance to the 6'2" Green. Emma at 5'9" would offer better perimeter coverage if for no other reason than her height.

Maybe a decent compromise is CS. At 6'0" and long arms she is tall enough to bother Gabby on the perimeter and while not as quick as ES and JL on the outside and not as physical as LS and JT on the inside, she may be the best compromise we have. On the inside she could always get some help from a double team.

ZagDad

Skip:

Since a few of you have been seeing a half empty glass... I’m seeing a half full glass.
    Just because some of us are not happy with the way the girls played last game or the last couple of games and may be not happy with some of the coaching decisions does not mean we see a half empty glass.

The Spokesman-Review preview article posted below sums up my feelings. By losing to St. Maries, cost the Zags not only a chance to celebrate a WCC title at home, but also ended a 15-game win streak that was their second longest under Fortier. Most teams would love to have those problems, but the bar is set a bit higher at GU.

The bar is set higher at GU and expectations are set higher by the coaching staff, team members, and yes the fans, including us board members.

Win tomorrow against LMU and we win the WCC title outright with 3 games to play. Nothing shabby about this accomplishment and certainly not representative of a glass half empty.

However, with the last loss, the safety net has now been removed for the rest of the season (if the NCAA tournament is your goal). When the WCC tourney starts in a couple of weeks, there is no room for error. 3 games in 5 days and you must win them all. One game like last Saturday and it is the NIT for the ladies. So the bad news (glass is half empty) is that the ladies cannot have another hiccup once the tourney starts and still achieve their goal. The good news (glass half full) is that the Lady Zags have the players and coaching staff to win all three games, they just have to put forth a good effort from everybody. Not perfect, just a good solid effort all-around will be sufficient to meet their goal.

Let's start tomorrow Ladies,

ZagDad

Here is the Spokesman-Review preview of tomorrow's game.

Gonzaga women look to rebound after first WCC loss

UPDATED: Wed., Feb. 14, 2018, 4:48 p.m.

In more ways than one, the Gonzaga women are looking to rebound this week.

Physically, emotionally and also on the glass, the Bulldogs are trying to move forward from their first West Coast Conference defeat of the year.

“I was worried that (a letdown) would happen at some point,” GU head coach Lisa Fortier said before practice Tuesday. “But we didn’t do a good enough job of preparing them.”

The result, a 72-56 home loss to Saint Mary’s, cost the Zags not only a chance to celebrate a WCC title at home, but also ended a 15-game win streak that was their second longest under Fortier.

Most teams would love to have those problems, but the bar is set a bit higher at GU.

The Zags can clinch their 12th WCC crown in the last 13 years with a win Thursday night at Loyola Marymount.

The Bulldogs (20-5 overall and 13-1 in the conference) are four games ahead of BYU and Saint Mary’s with four games to play.

The bigger goal is an NCAA Tournament bid. Saturday’s loss pushed the Zags’ RPI down to 49, significantly harming their chances of earning an at-large berth shot should they falter at the WCC Tournament in Las Vegas.

First things first: Fortier said her team needs to play better defense.

“We’re a better rebounding team than that (GU was outboarded 47-21 by Saint Mary’s), but our biggest problem was our individual and team defense,” Fortier said.

Or as freshman forward LeAnne Worth called it Tuesday: “A little hiccup that we’re going to learn from.”

On paper at least, LMU will be a good test. The Lions (16-9, 8-6) are in the mix for a top-four finish and won five of their last seven games.

But GU hasn’t lost to the Lions since 2009 – a 21-game streak that stands as its longest active one against a WCC program.

Dating back to 2005, GU has won 28 out of the last 30 against LMU.

LMU had one of the best nonconference seasons in the WCC, with wins over Arizona, Saint Louis, Long Beach State and Miami (Ohio).

“They’re very aggressive,” Fortier said. “They’re drawing tons of fouls, causing tons of turnovers.”

Gabby Green leads LMU with 13 points and 6.5 rebounds per game. She also has 72 steals on the season.

Cheyanne Wallace joins her in double figures at 14.1 points per game. Bree Alford leads on the glass at 8.8 rebounds per game.

On Saturday, the Zags are at Peppderdine (9-16, 5-9).

GU has been a model of consistency on the road, winning nine of 10 games. Jill Barta (18.2 ppg), Chandler Smith (10.6), and Zykera Rice (10.5) are all averaging double figures on the road.

The Zags are second in the WCC in points per game (73.2) and points per game allowed (59.1).

They’re the only WCC team in the top three in both categories.
    Seems the editor of the article and CLF have a similar assessment to mine of the St. Mary's game and the result.

Article Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...r-first-wcc-l/

ZagDad

Here is the preview of tomorrow's game from the Lion's web site:

Lions Return Home To Face Gonzaga And San Francisco This Week

LMU Looks To Avenge Earlier Losses Against Both WCC Opponents Thursday And Saturday

LOS ANGELES – The Loyola Marymount women’s basketball team will have two home games at the Pavilion this week. The Lions (16-9, 8-6 WCC) will first face off against the Gonzaga Bulldogs (20-5, 13-1 WCC) on Thursday, Feb. 15 at 7 p.m. and will then take on the San Francisco Dons (13-12, 8-6 WCC) on Saturday, Feb. 17 at 2 p.m.

LMU Athletics will be celebrating the Lunar New Year at Thursday night's game, featuring a special Lion Dance at halftime, and Saturday will serve as the Lions' "Play for K" game at the Pavilion. Fans are encouraged to wear pink on Saturday to receive their game tickets at a discounted and rate promote breast cancer awareness. The first 100 fans in attendance will also receive a pink LMU shirt to support Susan G. Komen.

In LMU’s first matchup against the Gonzaga this season, the Bulldogs ended up pulling out a 10-point win, 77-67, after a heated battle between the two squads. The Lions were without the team’s leading scorer, Cheyanne Wallace, who was out with an injury, but LMU gave it their all and kept it competitive the entire game. Gabby Green led all scorers in the loss, finishing with 20 points, seven boards and two steals. Makenzie Cast added 18 points as she knocked down a season-high six three-pointers. Gonzaga guard Chandler Smith finished with a team-high 19 points to go along with seven rebounds, while Jill Barta added 16 points, five boards and five steals.

The Lions played at San Francisco on Jan 11, suffering a 78-60 loss to the Dons. LMU was held to just 31.0 percent shooting on the night while USF shot 45.6 percent from the field. Anna Seilund of the Dons scored a game-high 23 points to go along with 12 rebounds, while Michaela Rakova racked up 14 points and 11 boards. Green paced the Lions with a team-high 19 points, a game-high-tying 13 rebounds, six steals and four assists.

LMU has another home game next Thursday to round out its longest WCC homestand of the season. The Lions will host Santa Clara on the bluff on Thursday, Feb. 22 before traveling to Pacific for their last regular season contest this season on Saturday, Feb. 24.
    Article Link: http://www.lmulions.com/sports/w-bas...021418aac.html

ZagDad

ZagDad..,

I look at a 20-5 season... 13-1 league... with one senior and five young players that we depend on for relief and think... things aren’t all that bad.

LW said they had a hiccup and I agree.

Like CLF said and I have many times... it’s DEFENSE and effort. Again, it was the lack of effort that helped SMC win. Let’s not forget that SMC played a great game.

I also have no problems with the starting 5... they are great players that are working well together. I am also pleased with the youth on the team... they have a ways to go but they are still frosh learning on the fly.

I hope the team plays mad after loosing to SMC...

I’m sure the team is aware of their status with regards to making the dance and how important it is to finish out strong.

The 6 players on the team from last year are well aware of what it will take to dance again this year and after last year... well...

So I’m half full...

Cheers, Go Zags!!

Gonzaga 75 - LMU 69 Final Game Stats

Gabby Green was held to only 4 points tonight on 1 of 11 shooting from the field. Gabby Green grabbed 8 rebounds and had 7 assists.
    She also had 3 personal fouls and committed 5 turnovers.

YIKES!! That was close. Much closer than the final score indicates.

Way to go, Lady Zags! Taking surge after surge after surge from LMU and never giving up.

ZD - As for who was assigned to guarding Green, I'm interested in how you saw it. What I saw was, "OK, team. Whoever happens to be the closest to Green when she gets the ball,... you guard her." Seriously. I saw at least 4 (maybe 5) different Zags guarding her during the game.

But,.... what do I know. It worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagineer View Post
    YIKES!! That was close. Much closer than the final score indicates.

Way to go, Lady Zags! Taking surge after surge after surge from LMU and never giving up.

ZD - As for who was assigned to guarding Green, I'm interested in how you saw it. What I saw was, "OK, team. Whoever happens to be the closest to Green when she gets the ball,... you guard her." Seriously. I saw at least 4 (maybe 5) different Zags guarding her during the game.

But,.... what do I know. It worked.

Sort of.

You traded Green's 22 points in the first game for Wallace's 25 in the second game. I will give GU a small amount of slack because Wallace did not play in the first game, so they did not have any experience with her this year.

I had some internet problems with the laptop, so I missed some of the game, so I will go back and watch it again in the next couple of days. However, in synopsis I will say:

- Any win away from home is a good win. This win clinched the WCC championship for the Lady Zags and they don't have to share. Great Job.
    - Very sloppy offense in the first half. Lucky that LMU shot even worse than GU did. 27 points in a half is simply not good.
    - Very sloppy defense in the 2nd half. The ladies gave up 46 points in the 2nd half. Also not very good at all.
    - For the 3rd game in the last 4, we got outscored in the paint, today by 10 pts (40 vs 30). Bigs not doing their job on defense.

Give LMU some credit in that they made the ladies work for all of their points. The poor defense in the 2nd half was not because LMU shot lights out. You can't play offense like they did in the first half and defense like the ladies did in the 2nd half and expect to win the tournament. It was a win, but not a well played game by the Zags.

Once again, I will point out the "not-so-smart" plays at the end of the game that kept LMU in the game. Many on the board tell me the ladies will learn from their mistakes, o'k I will buy it, I just hope they learn before the tournament.

- Barta - Once again, if single covered take the opponent to the hoop. Double covered pass it out. Going against double and triple teams leads to a 3-12 night.
    - Can't keep Barta in the game with 4 fouls as she seems to have little game situational awareness. 4th & 5th fouls unnecessary and removed our best player and best free throw shooter from the game with 2:27 to go. Going for a rebound when you are out of position (over the back)at that time of the game is just not smart. Better to have you in the game and shooting free throws than one lousy rebound.
    - JL fouling in the key against a much bigger post player to get our 5th foul of the quarter and put them on the line without the clock running.
    - ES doing exactly the samething a couple of trips down the court later.
    - ZR trying to save the ball under our basket directly to LMU for a lay-up. Get the ball to the perimeter or past half court or let it go out of bounds.
    - CS walking right by the LMU player in the post leaving her all alone in the key and wide open for a lay-up.

Short of missing our free throws, we really could not have tried much harder to give the game to LMU. Yeah I know, the heat of the moment, the effort the girls are putting out, and everything else. Numerous Top 20 teams (women and men) have lost in the last couple of weeks because they made the exact same mistakes the Lady Zags have been making at the end of the game, and every color commentator has said the same thing.

"You have been playing organized ball for the last 10+ years. You HAVE TO know your situation on the court and not put your team in a situation to lose when you have spent the entire game building up a lead." The lady zags and the coaching staff need to learn how to finish off a game or sometime soon, we will miss some free throws and this sloppiness will cost us a game.

I know that I am just a broken record, but the ladies and the coaching staff are better than this and the luxury of losing another game is quickly coming to an end.

Enjoy your win and the Championship. Rest tomorrow and get ready for a good game on Saturday.

Go Zags,

ZagDad

Gonzaga women claim another West Coast Conference basketball title

LOS ANGELES – Make it an even dozen for the Gonzaga women.

Chandler Smith scored 17 points Thursday and the Bulldogs held on for a 75-69 win over Loyola Marymount that allowed them to clinch their 12th West Coast Conference basketball title in 13 years.

Gonzaga (21-5, 14-1) leads Saint Mary’s and BYU by four games with three games left in the regular season. The Bulldogs clinched the No. 1 seed to the WCC Tournament, which begins March 1 in Las Vegas.

Jill Barta added 12 points and Emma Stach scored 10 for the Bulldogs, who bounced back after losing to Saint Mary’s on Saturday.

Cheyanne Wallace scored 25 points for the Lions (16-10, 8-7).

The Spokesman-Review Article Link

Zags Claim Outright WCC Title In Win Over LMU

13th conference title in last 14 years

Feb. 15, 2018

Final Stats

LOS ANGELES – The Gonzaga Bulldogs claimed the outright West Coast Conference Championship on Thursday night at Loyola Marymount, 75-69.

Chandler Smith led the Zags with 17 points, going five-of-nine from the field with two assists and three steals. Jill Barta added 12 points and two steals, and Emma Stach scored 10, hitting two threes. Zykera Rice scored nine points to go with a team-high nine rebounds. Gonzaga shot better in the second half, 53.8 percent, shooting 41.8 percent on the game. They forced 16 turnovers for 26 points off turnovers and 10 steals.

Both teams struggled to find a flow offensively early on. LMU hit a three in transition and led 9-5 at the four-minute mark. Stach ignited the Zag offense with a three at the three-minute mark to pull within one. Jenn Wirth drained a late 18-foot jumper, and Rice followed a miss to tie the game at 13 after one. GU led on the glass 14-10, and blocked three shots with five offensive boards. Smith stole the ball at midcourt and went coast to coast as GU led 19-15 two minutes into the second. The Zags run extended to 10-0 as Smith beat the shot clock buzzer and GU led 23-15 at the seven-minute mark. The Zags hit a four-and-a-half minute scoreless streak, but still led 27-21 with one minute left in the quarter. Gonzaga led 27-23 at half. Barta scored in double digits with 10 points to lead GU. Rice and Jill Townsend has six rebounds each as GU led 25-18 on the glass. Gonzaga scored eight second-chance points on seven offensive boards.

Three minutes into the second half LMU regained the lead, 32-31. Laura Stockton took back the lead on a baseline drive. Rice followed her own miss as GU went on a 7-0 spurt to lead 38-32 at the six-minute mark of the third. The Lions responded with five-straight until Townsend hit a foul shot. Jenn Wirth hustled to follow a miss in transition, and Townsend made two more. Smith drilled two threes and the Zags built their first double-digit lead, 49-39, with two minutes left in the third. They kept that lead and were up 55-45 after three. Smith scored 11 points in the quarter and led GU with 15 points to that point. GU made their last six field goals of the quarter and shot 60 percent in the quarter. GU forced five turnovers in the quarter for 11 points off turnovers.

Stach drilled a three two minutes into the fourth quarter and Gonzaga led 62-48, their largest lead to that point. LMU scored seven-straight points to get back within range. Two threes cut the lead to three at the 4:01 mark. Barta ended the LMU run with a spin move inside and GU led 66-61 with three minutes left. A steal and score from Jessie Loera put GU back up seven, 68-61, with two minutes left. Loera kept it rolling to find Rice on the roll to answer two LMU free throws with 1:23 left. LMU got no closer than five, as GU won 75-69.

“I am so excited for our team,” Gonzaga head coach Lisa Fortier. “We had to battle on the road tonight and we did. We responded to some in-game adversity very well and got great play from our bench. We need production from everyone in order to be a very successful team, and tonight those contributions directly affected the outcome. I’m really proud of the team.”

Townsend added three points and six rebounds, and Loera added nine. The GU bench led in points, 23-12.

The Zags (21-5, 14-1 WCC) had already claimed their 13 WCC title in the last 14 years and this marked their 14th in program history, but now they have secured the number one seed at the WCC Tournament. GU continues their road trip on Saturday at 1 pm at Pepperdine. Live links are available at GoZags.com.

Gonzaga Article Link

BYU just beat Pepperdine by 35 points tonight. Will compare that to how we play Pepperdine on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    BYU just beat Pepperdine by 35 points tonight. Will compare that to how we play Pepperdine on Saturday.
    Just keep in mind when you make your comparison that BYU beat Pepperdine in Provo and we play Pepperdine in Malibu. There is a big difference between playing at home and playing on the road.

For example, the lady zags were the only team to win on the road today. All other winners in wbb played at home.

ZagDad