Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Discussion of Jesse Wade

I am not giving up on Wade. He took 2 years off so it will take a bit longer to get up to the expected speed of play.

I beg fellow posters to please refrain from this absolutely bogus "2 yrs away" excuse.

For Jesse, or for our next LDS player whom leaves for a mission. Its baseless, as Tyler Haws, TJ Haws, Jimmer, Erik Mika, Nick Emery, Jackson Emery, Noah Hartsock, Kyle Collingsworth, etc etc take exception to that notion/sentiment.

Now, Jesse's shoulder issues, size, lack of strength, athleticism, and just being a friggin' freshman are all legitimate claims/excuses.

I'm not saying I don't have hope, because I do, or that he isn't performing up to expectations, but if I read another ridiculous "2 yrs away" post, I don't know...

Just not appropriate or factual, whatsoever.

Heck, TJ Haws was in the same location for the same amount of time, just to name one...

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I think we'd do ourselves a service looking at David Stockton's career trajectory, and taking a chill pill. David could sniff spot minutes early. By the end of his career, few was tipping off with Pangos and Bell, then moving Pangos to the 2 and subbing Stockton in for point. I see Wade as a 20-25 minute depth contributor by his junior year.
    David was 18 year old walk on as I recall. Tough comparison

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I think we'd do ourselves a service looking at David Stockton's career trajectory, and taking a chill pill. David could sniff spot minutes early. By the end of his career, few was tipping off with Pangos and Bell, then moving Pangos to the 2 and subbing Stockton in for point. I see Wade as a 20-25 minute depth contributor by his junior year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    David was 18 year old walk on as I recall. Tough comparison
    Stockton could do 360 degree dunks and was lighting quick too.

A rare athlete at 5'9". Stockton has played minutes in the NBA, and still one of the best D-League players around.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    I beg fellow posters to please refrain from this absolutely bogus "2 yrs away" excuse.

For Jesse, or for our next LDS player whom leaves for a mission. Its baseless, as Tyler Haws, TJ Haws, Jimmer, Erik Mika, Nick Emery, Jackson Emery, Noah Hartsock, Kyle Collingsworth, etc etc take exception to that notion/sentiment.

Now, Jesse's shoulder issues, size, lack of strength, athleticism, and just being a friggin' freshman are all legitimate claims/excuses.

I'm not saying I don't have hope, because I do, or that he isn't performing up to expectations, but if I read another ridiculous "2 yrs away" post, I don't know...

Heck, TJ Haws was in the same location for the same amount of time, just to name one...
    Totally agree, that's the point I was trying to make.

There are some differences on the guys you named though, Tyler, Eric, Jackson, and Kyle all went on their mission after their freshman year of college. That is a huge advantage, as you already know the system in place for the program.

Jimmer never went on a mission and Nick did not complete his mission due to health issues.

Noah averaged 11 minutes a game and 2.4 points a game as a freshman and only had one good season, his senior year.

Only outlier is TJ Haws who went on a mission after high school and was pretty good as a freshman, though I don't think he was as good as he would of been coming straight from high school.

Just throwing out some facts that each of these situations is different and the closet one you named is Noah Hartsock, who's career might look more like Jesse's when comparing where they were after returning from a mission.

A lot of people on the BYU board sure did think that Haws was affected by his mission last year...

Ever hear of the fallacy of inductive reasoning?
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Jesse is a talented shooter and would likely thrive as part of a system akin to SMC. Sadly, this program recruited him then outgrew him. No matter what, he is a liability on D at this level. Great kid and great family to be a part of Zag Nation regardless.
    “The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.”

Pretty sure that Jimmer & Nick Emery never took missions.

And for all the "stars" that are mentioned I can assure you from regular reading of the BYU Forum that far many more wash out there & wind up either at Utah Valley, elsewhere or out of basketball all together.
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in..."

i do not get this post. as several others have pointed out, many of your examples are clearly factually flawed. now, anyone can get the facts wrong-- but is this something that you actually believe? there's no part of my previous experience as an athlete (admittedly, not quite D1 level), professional, or person that agrees with your premise here. truly, i do not understand how you, as a person, can believe what you typed here.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    i do not get this post. as several others have pointed out, many of your examples are clearly factually flawed. now, anyone can get the facts wrong-- but is this something that you actually believe? there's no part of my previous experience as an athlete (admittedly, not quite D1 level), professional, or person that agrees with your premise here. truly, i do not understand how you, as a person, can believe what you typed here.
    I will say this, its not due to Jesse's 2 year mission he's at the bottom of the depth chart.

pretty sure that's the point.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    I will say this, its not due to Jesse's 2 year mission he's at the bottom of the depth chart.

And there you have it.

I hope he is able to heal up and contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post

This. He has time to contribute....
    Go Zags!!!