Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 64 of 64

Thread: A Discussion of Jesse Wade

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    259

    Default

    I am not giving up on Wade. He took 2 years off so it will take a bit longer to get up to the expected speed of play.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    587

    Default

    I beg fellow posters to please refrain from this absolutely bogus "2 yrs away" excuse.

    For Jesse, or for our next LDS player whom leaves for a mission. Its baseless, as Tyler Haws, TJ Haws, Jimmer, Erik Mika, Nick Emery, Jackson Emery, Noah Hartsock, Kyle Collingsworth, etc etc take exception to that notion/sentiment.

    Now, Jesse's shoulder issues, size, lack of strength, athleticism, and just being a friggin' freshman are all legitimate claims/excuses.

    I'm not saying I don't have hope, because I do, or that he isn't performing up to expectations, but if I read another ridiculous "2 yrs away" post, I don't know...

    Just not appropriate or factual, whatsoever.

    Heck, TJ Haws was in the same location for the same amount of time, just to name one...

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I think we'd do ourselves a service looking at David Stockton's career trajectory, and taking a chill pill. David could sniff spot minutes early. By the end of his career, few was tipping off with Pangos and Bell, then moving Pangos to the 2 and subbing Stockton in for point. I see Wade as a 20-25 minute depth contributor by his junior year.
    David was 18 year old walk on as I recall. Tough comparison

  4. #54
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I think we'd do ourselves a service looking at David Stockton's career trajectory, and taking a chill pill. David could sniff spot minutes early. By the end of his career, few was tipping off with Pangos and Bell, then moving Pangos to the 2 and subbing Stockton in for point. I see Wade as a 20-25 minute depth contributor by his junior year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    David was 18 year old walk on as I recall. Tough comparison
    Stockton could do 360 degree dunks and was lighting quick too.

    A rare athlete at 5'9". Stockton has played minutes in the NBA, and still one of the best D-League players around.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

    -- Coach Few

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    I beg fellow posters to please refrain from this absolutely bogus "2 yrs away" excuse.

    For Jesse, or for our next LDS player whom leaves for a mission. Its baseless, as Tyler Haws, TJ Haws, Jimmer, Erik Mika, Nick Emery, Jackson Emery, Noah Hartsock, Kyle Collingsworth, etc etc take exception to that notion/sentiment.

    Now, Jesse's shoulder issues, size, lack of strength, athleticism, and just being a friggin' freshman are all legitimate claims/excuses.

    I'm not saying I don't have hope, because I do, or that he isn't performing up to expectations, but if I read another ridiculous "2 yrs away" post, I don't know...

    Just not appropriate or factual, whatsoever.

    Heck, TJ Haws was in the same location for the same amount of time, just to name one...
    Totally agree, that's the point I was trying to make.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    I beg fellow posters to please refrain from this absolutely bogus "2 yrs away" excuse.

    For Jesse, or for our next LDS player whom leaves for a mission. Its baseless, as Tyler Haws, TJ Haws, Jimmer, Erik Mika, Nick Emery, Jackson Emery, Noah Hartsock, Kyle Collingsworth, etc etc take exception to that notion/sentiment.

    Now, Jesse's shoulder issues, size, lack of strength, athleticism, and just being a friggin' freshman are all legitimate claims/excuses.

    I'm not saying I don't have hope, because I do, or that he isn't performing up to expectations, but if I read another ridiculous "2 yrs away" post, I don't know...

    Just not appropriate or factual, whatsoever.

    Heck, TJ Haws was in the same location for the same amount of time, just to name one...
    There are some differences on the guys you named though, Tyler, Eric, Jackson, and Kyle all went on their mission after their freshman year of college. That is a huge advantage, as you already know the system in place for the program.

    Jimmer never went on a mission and Nick did not complete his mission due to health issues.

    Noah averaged 11 minutes a game and 2.4 points a game as a freshman and only had one good season, his senior year.

    Only outlier is TJ Haws who went on a mission after high school and was pretty good as a freshman, though I don't think he was as good as he would of been coming straight from high school.

    Just throwing out some facts that each of these situations is different and the closet one you named is Noah Hartsock, who's career might look more like Jesse's when comparing where they were after returning from a mission.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    A lot of people on the BYU board sure did think that Haws was affected by his mission last year...

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Utsalady Bay
    Posts
    5,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    I beg fellow posters to please refrain from this absolutely bogus "2 yrs away" excuse.

    For Jesse, or for our next LDS player whom leaves for a mission. Its baseless, as Tyler Haws, TJ Haws, Jimmer, Erik Mika, Nick Emery, Jackson Emery, Noah Hartsock, Kyle Collingsworth, etc etc take exception to that notion/sentiment.

    Now, Jesse's shoulder issues, size, lack of strength, athleticism, and just being a friggin' freshman are all legitimate claims/excuses.

    I'm not saying I don't have hope, because I do, or that he isn't performing up to expectations, but if I read another ridiculous "2 yrs away" post, I don't know...

    Just not appropriate or factual, whatsoever.

    Heck, TJ Haws was in the same location for the same amount of time, just to name one...
    Ever hear of the fallacy of inductive reasoning?
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

    Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Spokane of course
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Jesse is a talented shooter and would likely thrive as part of a system akin to SMC. Sadly, this program recruited him then outgrew him. No matter what, he is a liability on D at this level. Great kid and great family to be a part of Zag Nation regardless.
    “The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.”

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    12,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    I beg fellow posters to please refrain from this absolutely bogus "2 yrs away" excuse.

    For Jesse, or for our next LDS player whom leaves for a mission. Its baseless, as Tyler Haws, TJ Haws, Jimmer, Erik Mika, Nick Emery, Jackson Emery, Noah Hartsock, Kyle Collingsworth, etc etc take exception to that notion/sentiment.

    Now, Jesse's shoulder issues, size, lack of strength, athleticism, and just being a friggin' freshman are all legitimate claims/excuses.

    I'm not saying I don't have hope, because I do, or that he isn't performing up to expectations, but if I read another ridiculous "2 yrs away" post, I don't know...

    Just not appropriate or factual, whatsoever.

    Heck, TJ Haws was in the same location for the same amount of time, just to name one...
    Pretty sure that Jimmer & Nick Emery never took missions.

    And for all the "stars" that are mentioned I can assure you from regular reading of the BYU Forum that far many more wash out there & wind up either at Utah Valley, elsewhere or out of basketball all together.
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in..."

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    I beg fellow posters to please refrain from this absolutely bogus "2 yrs away" excuse.

    For Jesse, or for our next LDS player whom leaves for a mission. Its baseless, as Tyler Haws, TJ Haws, Jimmer, Erik Mika, Nick Emery, Jackson Emery, Noah Hartsock, Kyle Collingsworth, etc etc take exception to that notion/sentiment.

    Now, Jesse's shoulder issues, size, lack of strength, athleticism, and just being a friggin' freshman are all legitimate claims/excuses.

    I'm not saying I don't have hope, because I do, or that he isn't performing up to expectations, but if I read another ridiculous "2 yrs away" post, I don't know...

    Just not appropriate or factual, whatsoever.

    Heck, TJ Haws was in the same location for the same amount of time, just to name one...
    i do not get this post. as several others have pointed out, many of your examples are clearly factually flawed. now, anyone can get the facts wrong-- but is this something that you actually believe? there's no part of my previous experience as an athlete (admittedly, not quite D1 level), professional, or person that agrees with your premise here. truly, i do not understand how you, as a person, can believe what you typed here.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    i do not get this post. as several others have pointed out, many of your examples are clearly factually flawed. now, anyone can get the facts wrong-- but is this something that you actually believe? there's no part of my previous experience as an athlete (admittedly, not quite D1 level), professional, or person that agrees with your premise here. truly, i do not understand how you, as a person, can believe what you typed here.
    I will say this, its not due to Jesse's 2 year mission he's at the bottom of the depth chart.

    pretty sure that's the point.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

    -- Coach Few

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    I will say this, its not due to Jesse's 2 year mission he's at the bottom of the depth chart.

    pretty sure that's the point.
    And there you have it.

    I hope he is able to heal up and contribute.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    I will say this, its not due to Jesse's 2 year mission he's at the bottom of the depth chart.

    pretty sure that's the point.
    This. He has time to contribute....
    Go Zags!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •