Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about the Zags now?

Are you not entertained?

"Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

Man, we sure are good given all these players shortcomings! Like, 7,8,9 good, Kenpom, Coach's, AP.

Great picture RTZ. Caption worthy!

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Are you not entertained?

What a great picture! The 4 SMC's remind me of what my Dad would tell me when I was just standing around not getting the job done: "Don't Just Stand There, Do Something!" As in Something/Anything would do!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    What a great picture! The 4 SMC's remind me of what my Dad would tell me when I was just standing around not getting the job done: "Don't Just Stand There, Do Something!" As in Something/Anything would do!
    My coach would want to know if we wanted a Polaroid so we could take a photo. Yeah. I'm old.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    My coach would want to know if we wanted a Polaroid so we could take a photo. Yeah. I'm old.
    Haaaaaa.
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Impressive...The Gaels look like they're seeing the resurrection of Jesus Christ!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

A mixture of this...

"The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

And this...

"The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    And this...

Thanks for this picture. This is the one I was looking for the other day but couldn't find it so I had to use a different one for my Avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Thanks for the picture. I was looking for it the other day but couldn't find it and had to use another one of Ali for my Avatar,

After 37 posts, I found it odd that no one ranked the thread, so I gave it 5 stars.

Saturday night's victory over SMC was more about vindication IMO:

1. For the coaching staff, for coming up with a plan to stop Landale.
    2. For the players, to erase any doubts they had after losing at home.

My stance on this team is well known, and requires no elaboration. They're pretty much where I thought they'd be at this point, and the rotation appears to have finally been set. The 7 man rotation as currently constructed is ideally suited for March, where TV timeouts are extended, hell I can go fix a smoothie from scratch and be back in my seat before the last commercial.

We'll still see Jeremy, and possibly Jacob, in short term situations, and for very few minutes.

No longer need we worry about Corey or Zach being lost or unsure of themselves. They've had plenty of game time to understand the system, and their teammates around them. The trust level on the court with this team is off the charts.

Sure, the now top 10 ranking is great, but these young men have proven themselves to be great scholar-athletes, and fine young men. What more could you ask for? Big D was Josh's first steal victim of the year, glad he got his hat back...lol.

I recall Lloyd saying in an interview that the Zags had something else in their tool-kit that they didn't have to use in the St Mary's game because the double-team worked so well. I'm really wondering what that is. It's also noted that the team had been working on that double-team for a few weeks. Interesting. I also wondered what the Zags would look like if they ever played a complete game. The team, for most of the year, has usually had a great half, sometimes the first half and at other times a good second half. The effort Saturday night was just awesome. Can you imagine how "in shape" this team is? I felt that the guard who was double-teaming Landale and had to run all the way to the other side of the court to double-team a shooter was what really made this double-team work. The guards were working their butts off all game long. I have seen the development of this defense for a few weeks now. It keeps getting better and better.

Also Norvell really impressed me Saturday. Actually, he's impressed me all year, but Saturday was his best game. It was a beautiful game for him in every way. I remember real well that when the Zags were recruiting him, how impressed I was. And of course Pargo came from Chicago, and Jeremy is one of my All-Time Favorites. And now I'm seen things that I didn't know that he possessed. He's the complete player. And the fact that he's just a freshman is just amazing. As I've said many times on this forum, I love beautiful passing, and he certainly has that skill beyond my wildest dreams. I love watching the wonderful creativity in his passes. He's not the "star" now, and his offensive ability is on hold to a certain extent. Wait for a couple more years and we're going to see someone who's very very special.

It was really nice to see our offense come together for a pretty tough game. I certainly had criticized our guards, and man oh man did they ever come out with total confidence on Saturday. I believe it was our best offensive night, as a team, this whole year. We could have scored 90 points for sure if we hadn't slowed the offense down in the last ten minutes. And to see them catch fire in that cracker box in Morago was just a wonderful sight to see. So far this team has played so well on the road. This fact will certainly help us when we travel to San Diego and than BYU.

Go Zags!!!

[QUOTE=TexasZagFan;1360146]After 37 posts, I found it odd that no one ranked the thread, so I gave it 5 stars.QUOTE]

I haven't had a five star rated thread in years. Thanks.

I think others have nailed my view of this team so I’m here to defend Rui’s defense. I think it has been superb this year, especially lately. Watching the SMC game he is able to guard 1 through 5 without additional help. For example, when Tillie was on JL I was worried because JL bullied him and was getting deeper position (luckily the double team came quicker and Tillie wasn’t left in that assignment long) but when Rui was on him he had the strength to keep him off the block and the athleticism to front JL and make JL move up they key and out to try to get an angle to receive the ball. Then, the next play Rui would start guarding the primary ball handler. It is insane having a defender with that type of versatility.

And CK is the worst defender of the regular players. But that’s not bad since he is a freshman on a team with very good defenders. It isn’t like he defends like Dickau, Morrison or Mallon or something.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    I think others have nailed my view of this team so I’m here to defend Rui’s defense. I think it has been superb this year, especially lately. Watching the SMC game he is able to guard 1 through 5 without additional help. For example, when Tillie was on JL I was worried because JL bullied him and was getting deeper position (luckily the double team came quicker and Tillie wasn’t left in that assignment long) but when Rui was on him he had the strength to keep him off the block and the athleticism to front JL and make JL move up they key and out to try to get an angle to receive the ball. Then, the next play Rui would start guarding the primary ball handler. It is insane having a defender with that type of versatility.

And CK is the worst defender of the regular players. But that’s not bad since he is a freshman on a team with very good defenders. It isn’t like he defends like Dickau, Morrison or Mallon or something.
    Last paragraph gets a big LOL. Corey had two hills to climb: being a freshman, compounded by bad wheels. He'll get there, though probably not until next year. Zach has a ways to go, but he's shown a nose for the ball, which is something that can't be taught.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    I think others have nailed my view of this team so Iím here to defend Ruiís defense. I think it has been superb this year, especially lately. Watching the SMC game he is able to guard 1 through 5 without additional help. For example, when Tillie was on JL I was worried because JL bullied him and was getting deeper position (luckily the double team came quicker and Tillie wasnít left in that assignment long) but when Rui was on him he had the strength to keep him off the block and the athleticism to front JL and make JL move up they key and out to try to get an angle to receive the ball. Then, the next play Rui would start guarding the primary ball handler. It is insane having a defender with that type of versatility.

And CK is the worst defender of the regular players. But thatís not bad since he is a freshman on a team with very good defenders. It isnít like he defends like Dickau, Morrison or Mallon or something.
    on ball he is awesome, off ball and rotations he has issues with angles, drop spacing and recovery techniques which at times creates defensive gaps for the team as a whole

In addition, his transition defense he tends to get lost and instead of going to paint and flaring out to find man he starts to "meander" and this creates issues

but he has come a LONG LONG ways and his on ball is very good especially when you add his length
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I'm feeling pretty good about how the Zags will play this week. They know that these two games this week are it for home games this year. I'm sure that they will leave their fans with some really good memories. I can hardly wait to see these two games. It's still hard to believe that these are the last two home games. I do hope the Kennel Club shows up as well, and shows all the love and support they have for their team. Zag fans and Kennel Club travel really well; so I'm sure they will be following the Zags for some time. Just not at home.

Go Zags!!!

If the Zags can take care of the ball and play with defensive intensity like they did Saturday, they can beat ANYONE in the country!!
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

The idea that they could be a great defensive team, like top 15 defensive team according to the numbers, makes it really exciting, considering that there is no dominant team this year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

It's been great to watch two young players, Hachimura and Norvell, develop. Rui has been my favorite player all year and so I have really enjoyed watching him develop slowly. In the beginning of the season, some fans had doubts about him (especially his D), but I never did. It's been fun watching Norvell develop from a pretty good 3 point shooter into a complete player.

I think Josh is beginning to find his complete game. I think his confidence is good right now. I thought he played great on Saturday.
    Jonathan Williams has become the player and leader I thought he'd be at the beginning of the year. He has learned so much this year, and he had to. His role this has been so much bigger than it was last year, and he has taken it on beautifully. He has really improved in the last month. He's my second favorite player.

Silas and Tillie have been pretty inconsistent this year, but when they are on they have been wonderful to watch. They have both had some really big games. When they're on they show how talented they really are. Melson of course is as tough as any player around and honestly he's a total team player. And i like that about him.

Corey Kispert is finding his shooting touch again. He has had some very good games recently. He had to sit out early in the season due to a bad sprained ankle. The injury really affected his play this year. But he is a really good bench player right now. He's another really tough player and rebounds with toughness. I think that offensive rebounding has been his greatest strength.

This is a very talented teams. There are six players who are averaging 10+ points per game. We may be the only team in the NCAA this year that has this. We also have seven players who have scored 20 points or more. Only GU and Villanova have these kind of players. Our defense is getting tougher and better each game. I think we'll end up in the top 10 in best defensive teams in America. I recently learned that teams who win the NCAA Tournament are in the top 20 in both offensive and defense. Gonzaga is once again in that group this year.

Yeah! I feel pretty good about this team right now. Everything is coming together at the right time, and this seems to be a trade mark of Mark Few and his staff.

Go Zags!!!

Jockstrap calling a time out to bail himself out of a double team deserves its own *.GIF.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I think Josh is beginning to find his complete game. I think his confidence is good right now. I thought he played great on Saturday.

I don't know if this has been considered or if it has been tried, but I think a sports psychologist would be an excellent help for Josh. The coaches know what he needs to do to maximize his own potential and the teams potential. Josh also knows it. The problem is that sometimes Josh makes mental mistakes that prevent him from doing what he and the coaches know he should be doing.

He needs some mental tools to keep him on track, because he has all the physical tools and skills he needs to be a fantastic point guard.

I would assume the Zags have a sports psychologist on staff. It's pretty common I think.

I'm feeling great. Only an hour and 15 min before Game time. I am so excited to see this team again after playing so well against St Mary's. I want to see if they keep up the toughness and GREAT defense. Next to last home game tonight. Give 'em hell, boys.

Go Zags!!!