Thread: AP Poll 2-12-2018

9 is okay, but I like the Coaches poll better because they have us ranked ahead of Ohio St whom we beat.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

And here's the Coaches Poll, with the Zags at #8: http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa.../coaches-poll/

How did Virginia move up to#1 after losing at home to Virginia Tech? What?!

Okay, I would say the coaches are smarter than the AP...except they punished Arizona more for losing to UCLA than they did Kansas for losing to Baylor (UCLA>Baylor) and Oklahoma lost TWICE last week and dropped less than UA. Huh. Weird.

Rankings.. weekly beauty contest for marketing purposes only

NCAA bids...AD's acting like accountants doling out payola

I think GU has room to move up in the polls. That should (but may not) improve our seed in the NCAA tourney. Here are some teams currently ranked higher than GU, that I think will have some losses that will drop them below GU in the polls.

Cincinnati: has 2 losses (X and FL). They are currently #3 KenPom, but I liked their chances better last year because they had an easier out at this time of year. They still have to play Wichita State 2X who lost to Temple, Houston, and SMU, teams that Cin beat. I think GU is a better team and we played better teams. I think Cin is a bit over-rated and will drop a bit in the polls.

Xavier has won 8 of 10 against top 50 teams. They're a lot better than Cin and deserve to be ranked higher than GU.

TX Tech will lose again but the Big 12 is way tougher than the WCC. GU should pass them.

Auburn won 6 of 8 against top 50 teams but they have 3 tough games left plus their conference tournament. They'll lose some and drop in the polls.

OH State is on a roll for sure but they lost 4 of 7 to top 50 teams with 3 more top 50 teams yet to play in conference. Long ways to go. Yes they beat Purdue, but that speaks more to the weak offense of Purdue than to the strength of OH State. I think OH State will lose and drop in the polls. GU has proven we are better.

Conclusion: In the polls, GU should stay ahead of KS, Auburn and OH ST, the teams we recently passed, and pull ahead of TX Tech and Cin putting us in 6th behind Purdue and the teams currently ranked above them at the end of conference play. IF we win out in the conference. The WCC tournament is another matter......just win it. Our seed could improve considerably by tournament time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Rankings.. weekly beauty contest for marketing purposes only

NCAA bids...AD's acting like accountants doling out payola
    AD's acting like caporegimes doling out payola.

Fixed it. Think of the Power 5 conferences as the Five Families.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    9 is okay, but I like the Coaches poll better because they have us ranked ahead of Ohio St whom we beat.

Go Zags!!!
    Reborn. What's the Ali quote?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    AD's acting like caporegimes doling out payola.

Fixed it. Think of the Power 5 conferences as the Five Families.

both polls gave SMC some love......didnt drop too far.....
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few